Options

Boston Bruins

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    When the Bruins come to town in South Florida Feb 21, 2009 I'll be there raising hell. Hopefully they will continue to play well into next year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    g under p wrote:
    When the Bruins come to town in South Florida Feb 21, 2009 I'll be there raising hell. Hopefully they will continue to play well into next year.

Peace

B's don't come out to San Jose this year ... would have been a hell of a game.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    it strikes me as odd that there arent more cocky B fans, being an original 6 team , you Bears are up on my Rangers by virtue of less games played and more points,
    I think its criminal that our original 6 franchises only face each other- regardless of proximity- only 4 times yearly on our schedules.

Hopefuly, that entails a playoff series between the 2 they are a good matchup ( today anyway )

agian, we're form Boston, so we're cautiously optomistic ....

but, let's remember: some recent history here ....

2001/02: Jason Allison is traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a pair of former Bruins, Jozef Stumpel, who leads the team with 50 assists and Glen Murray, who goes on to lead the team in scoring with 71 points and ties Bill Guerin for the team lead in goals with 41. Stumpel's 50 assists are also a team high. Meanwhile Joe Thornton enjoys his finest season in the NHL with 68 points, despite missing nearly a month with a shoulder injury down the stretch. With the young up coming stars the Bruins would win the Northeast Division with a solid 43-24-6-9 record. However, in the playoffs the Bruins would be stunned by the 8th seeded Montreal Canadiens in 6 games.

2002/03: After their disappointing playoff collapse the Bruins got off to a good start posting a 19-4-3-1 record through the first 2 months. However the void left in goal by the departure of Byron Dafoe would catch up to the Bruins who lost 14 of their next 18 games. The rest of the way the Bruins would play mediocre hockey as Coach Robbie Ftorek was fired and replaced by GM Mike O'Connell in March. Under O'Connell the Bruins would still make the playoffs with a record of 36-31-11-4. However in the playoffs the Bruins would be no match for the eventual Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils who easily took the first 3 games before eliminating the Bruins in 5 games.

2003/04: The Bruins got off to a strong start as Goalie Andrew Raycroft in his first full season in the NHL was unbeatable in the early going. Also providing a spark was 18-year old Patrice Bergeron the Bruins second round pick in the draft who led all rookies in scoring with 16 goals and 23 assists. With the new found youthfully core the Bruins would go on to win the Northeast Division with a solid record of 41-19-15-7, as Raycroft who finished the season with 29 wins and a 2.05 GAA edged Bergeron for the Calder Trophy. In the playoffs the Bruins got off to a flying start dominating the Montreal Canadiens on the way to grabbing a 3-1 series lead. However with a chance to close the series out at home in Game 5 the Bruins came up flat losing 5-1. The Bruins would also play poorly in Game 6 as the Habs battled back to force a seventh game. In Game 7 at the Fleet Center the Bruins dominated the ice for the first 2 periods. However they could get nothing past Goalie Jose Theodore. Eventually the Habs would break the scoreless tie in the 3rd period on the way to a 2-0 win, as the Bruins were eliminated in 7 games.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    jimed14 wrote:
    agian, we're form Boston, so we're cautiously optomistic ....

but, let's remember: some recent history here ....

2001/02: Jason Allison is traded to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for a pair of former Bruins, Jozef Stumpel, who leads the team with 50 assists and Glen Murray, who goes on to lead the team in scoring with 71 points and ties Bill Guerin for the team lead in goals with 41. Stumpel's 50 assists are also a team high. Meanwhile Joe Thornton enjoys his finest season in the NHL with 68 points, despite missing nearly a month with a shoulder injury down the stretch. With the young up coming stars the Bruins would win the Northeast Division with a solid 43-24-6-9 record. However, in the playoffs the Bruins would be stunned by the 8th seeded Montreal Canadiens in 6 games.

2002/03: After their disappointing playoff collapse the Bruins got off to a good start posting a 19-4-3-1 record through the first 2 months. However the void left in goal by the departure of Byron Dafoe would catch up to the Bruins who lost 14 of their next 18 games. The rest of the way the Bruins would play mediocre hockey as Coach Robbie Ftorek was fired and replaced by GM Mike O'Connell in March. Under O'Connell the Bruins would still make the playoffs with a record of 36-31-11-4. However in the playoffs the Bruins would be no match for the eventual Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils who easily took the first 3 games before eliminating the Bruins in 5 games.

2003/04: The Bruins got off to a strong start as Goalie Andrew Raycroft in his first full season in the NHL was unbeatable in the early going. Also providing a spark was 18-year old Patrice Bergeron the Bruins second round pick in the draft who led all rookies in scoring with 16 goals and 23 assists. With the new found youthfully core the Bruins would go on to win the Northeast Division with a solid record of 41-19-15-7, as Raycroft who finished the season with 29 wins and a 2.05 GAA edged Bergeron for the Calder Trophy. In the playoffs the Bruins got off to a flying start dominating the Montreal Canadiens on the way to grabbing a 3-1 series lead. However with a chance to close the series out at home in Game 5 the Bruins came up flat losing 5-1. The Bruins would also play poorly in Game 6 as the Habs battled back to force a seventh game. In Game 7 at the Fleet Center the Bruins dominated the ice for the first 2 periods. However they could get nothing past Goalie Jose Theodore. Eventually the Habs would break the scoreless tie in the 3rd period on the way to a 2-0 win, as the Bruins were eliminated in 7 games.
    Pure playoff awesomeness!
    Koivu's return was the spark the first time.

Those days are done (for now) though.
  • Options
    I just remembered one of the Bruins' long standing traditions ... the day after Thanksgiving, mid day, Friday home game!!!

Me and my girl are heading back to Boston for Thanksgiving with my parents ... sooooo, few calls later, a pair of tickets secured ...

sweet.

the Isles stink this year too (admittedly playing better of late) ... so ... hopefully we'll get to see a win to boot.

• Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    I'm a NJD fan but I'd like to see the Bruins win this year.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    I just remembered one of the Bruins' long standing traditions ... the day after Thanksgiving, mid day, Friday home game!!!

Me and my girl are heading back to Boston for Thanksgiving with my parents ... sooooo, few calls later, a pair of tickets secured ...

sweet.

the Isles stink this year too (admittedly playing better of late) ... so ... hopefully we'll get to see a win to boot.

Man you lucky guy you, enjoy the energy, the cold and the home crowd. In February I'll get to see the Bruins/Panthers and the heat of South Florida. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    So nice this morning to take a look at the hockey standings and see the BRUINS in first place. So Sweet!

Peace

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    People actually CARE about their professional hockey team in Boston? Always thought that was a farce.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    g under p wrote:
    So nice this morning to take a look at the hockey standings and see the BRUINS in first place. So Sweet!

Peace

hahaha
    we're only 1/4 into the season, let everyone even off
    all the teams are catching up to each other--
    ( some havent played as many as others yet )
    the bruin goaltender is unorthodox , ugly , but effective.
    i'm all for the original 6 teams ,
    its shameful that Bos and NYR -- 1/3rd of the orig 6 ,
    irregardless of geographical proximity , only face each other head to head 4 times on the schedule.

id love to make it up to boston to see a Bruin / Ranger game .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    People actually CARE about their professional hockey team in Boston? Always thought that was a farce.

You damn right especially if you've played the sport.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    You damn right especially if you've played the sport.

Peace

Yeah, well of course if you PLAYED. It's the reason it's a niche sport. It's the same reason I watch rugby games.
  • Options
    Yeah, well of course if you PLAYED. It's the reason it's a niche sport. It's the same reason I watch rugby games.

Back in 70's when I lived in Boston the Bruins were huge then and to me they still are.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Back in 70's when I lived in Boston the Bruins were huge then and to me they still are.

Peace

A lot of things were big in the 70's. Especially hot pants.
  • Options
    just 2 weeks ago when NYR were p0laying Bos, they were showing the clips of Mike Milbury as a player, going into the stands at MSG, then going ahead and beating a guy in the crowd with his own shoe.

i think the guy was wearing hotpants
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    A lot of things were big in the 70's. Especially hot pants.

...and Afros and marshmellow shoes with 3 inch heels. :)

Peace

• Options
    hartamh wrote:
    They didn't even wear helmets then :eek: Love you Bobby Orr! Had a crush on him then:)

They sure didn't, I even got to see one of the last goalies to NOT wear a mask Gump Worsley of the Minnesota North Stars @ the Gaahden.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

uhm,

did you see todays newspaper ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    uhm,

Pretty sure he meant division. Overall is not the goal at the moment.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/standings
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    just 2 weeks ago when NYR were p0laying Bos, they were showing the clips of Mike Milbury as a player, going into the stands at MSG, then going ahead and beating a guy in the crowd with his own shoe.

i think the guy was wearing hotpants

This is one damn funny post! :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    uhm,

Easy Bg66 , I was referring to their lead in their division. As far as I know they were STILL in first place according to The Washington Post.

I hope that clears it up. :)

Peac

• Options
    The CBOSTON BRUINS are on FIYA and playing some great hockey.

Hockey Fight of the Night: Milan Lucic vs Nick BoyntonC

Peace

• Options
    saw them bury the islanders.

not sure if that was an alternate / new jersey - but those black Bs look great .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

They just took down the Red Wings 4-1.

Peace

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    g under p wrote:

Peace

dude...every time I wander in this thread, it gets me more interested in getting back to watching this sport. I used to watch the Bs all the time. Some of the rule changes, changes in how the game was played (a lot less physical, more about finesse) and the strike killed it for me. I miss Fred Cusak, Derek Sanderson....let's not forget Pearson's Pointers.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    dude...every time I wander in this thread, it gets me more interested in getting back to watching this sport. I used to watch the Bs all the time. Some of the rule changes, changes in how the game was played (a lot less physical, more about finesse) and the strike killed it for me. I miss Fred Cusak, Derek Sanderson....let's not forget Pearson's Pointers.

As much as I didn't want to see that strike happen it was surely needed. What I had hoped for was elimination of atleast 6-10 teams and add 2 in Canada. The sport has gotten too watered down nothing like the original 6.

I loved the old school Bruins, as a child I took for granted seeing Bobby Orr play at the old Garden along with Espo, Johnny Busik, Wayne Cashman, Ken Hodge, Sanderson, Brad Park and my favorite goalie Gerry Cheevers.

AaaaH Yes the old days without helmets. :)

Peace

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    g under p wrote:
    As much as I didn't want to see that strike happen it was surely needed. What I had hoped for was elimination of atleast 6-10 teams and add 2 in Canada. The sport has gotten too watered down nothing like the original 6.

I loved the old school Bruins, as a child I took for granted seeing Bobby Orr play at the old Garden along with Espo, Johnny Busik, Wayne Cashman, Ken Hodge, Sanderson, Brad Park and my favorite goalie Gerry Cheevers.

AaaaH Yes the old days without helmets. :)

Peace

seriously, that is what I would have loved to have seen - eliminate some teams, shorten the season a bit.

I started watching with my dad in the 70's, I was too little for their last Cup (which we missed as we were overseas with the military). I can still remember my first game at the old Garden - Bs vs Detroit. And no matter how nice the Garden is now, it will never compare to that old place.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    seriously, that is what I would have loved to have seen - eliminate some teams, shorten the season a bit.

I started watching with my dad in the 70's, I was too little for their last Cup (which we missed as we were overseas with the military). I can still remember my first game at the old Garden - Bs vs Detroit. And no matter how nice the Garden is now, it will never compare to that old place.

One of the more surprising things about the old Garden was the men's restroom urinals. They were the long floor kinds hell I can barely explain what they were like.

Peace

• Options
    well, just got back from Thanksgiving at home ...

got to see the B's smoke the Isles ... put 5 on the board in the 3rd and a few fights to boot ...

The handled the Red Wings pretty easily over the weekend too.

Indeed, the TD BankNorth Garden is no Boston "gaahden" ... I got lucky and was 6 rows behind the net ... and it was a lot of families, maybe that's because it was noon on Friday after Thanksgiving ... but, the place still lacks the old floor shaking beer and piss stinking feel of the old building.

Seems the upper bowl is where the fun is with the true fans.

anyway ... these guys have a really good mix of speed and physicality ... like their style ... should be a good season.

• Options
    Took down the TB Lightening tonight 3-1 and with 38 points dead even with the Rangers.

Peace