rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    tybird wrote:
    "Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd" by Nick Mason

How is that? I want to read it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I was at a bookstore and someone working there told me he was known as a fantasy expert so if I had any questions to ask him. I asked him what his favorite series was and he said "The Name of the Wind", but it's frustrating because the other books aren't out yet. I took his advice and enjoyed it. I haven't read a lot of fantasy (just the first "Wheel of Time" book). I will read the rest of this series when it comes out.

I read about 5-6 of the Wheel of Time books before I realized he was never going to finish it. After I gave up I swore I'd never start another unfinished series like that again. Part of the appeal of Name of the Wind was I had been told the series was done and they were just releasing the 3 books a year apart... now the second book has been pushed back. Figures. I also got sucked into George RR Martin's series, which is amazing but also unfinished. It's unlike anything I ever read... very gritty realism and some truly shocking plot developments. It sent me on a bit of a fantasy kick (which lead to Name of the Wind, among others).

However, I'm kinda burning out on it again. I'm on book 2 of a 3000 page juggernaut fantasy series (Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn) and I'm about to give up. I don't have the time or patience for this kind of reading anymore :)

So now I'm reading "Caught Stealing" by Charlie Huston. A nice brutal noir mystery... my favorite!

I did hear that about "The Name of the Wind" that it is finished and they are just releasing it a year apart. When is book 2 coming out now? I will probably wait for the paperback again just because a) I have a ton of books waiting to be read and b) I can't really justify spending money on a hardback in this economy.

I have heard good things about George RR Martin's series too. I will try to get to it one day. I'm am not that into fantasy and I like to read a lot of different types of books, so I know it will take me a long time to get through a fantasy series.

I have heard from many people that the Wheel of Time really derails. I have book 2 but haven't started it partly because I heard it was really good which would lure me into reading the next books!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    rrivers wrote:
    I did hear that about "The Name of the Wind" that it is finished and they are just releasing it a year apart. When is book 2 coming out now? I will probably wait for the paperback again just because a) I have a ton of books waiting to be read and b) I can't really justify spending money on a hardback in this economy.

I have heard good things about George RR Martin's series too. I will try to get to it one day. I'm am not that into fantasy and I like to read a lot of different types of books, so I know it will take me a long time to get through a fantasy series.

I have heard from many people that the Wheel of Time really derails. I have book 2 but haven't started it partly because I heard it was really good which would lure me into reading the next books!

I don't think there's a release date for the sequel, so I have no idea. I'll likely wait for paperback as well, I hate hardbacks. Too heavy and unwieldy.

George RR Martin is good stuff... it's not your usual fantasy. It's more like a King Arthur/historical fiction sort of thing with fantastic elements. There's no magic or anything, and there's no "quest" involved. Just fascinating characters duking it out in a morally grey world. Definitely worth reading.

The Wheel of Time was great for the first 3 books. After that, it definitely derails. As I recall though, you can almost read through book 3 and just quit there. I swear the end of book 3 was supposed to be the end, but he realized if he kept reading, people would keep buying. After that though, it becomes a mess. If you think you have the fortitude to quit after that, go for it because the first 3 are pretty book. Otherwise, get rid of them before you're tempted ;)
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

I don't think there's a release date for the sequel, so I have no idea. I'll likely wait for paperback as well, I hate hardbacks. Too heavy and unwieldy.

George RR Martin is good stuff... it's not your usual fantasy. It's more like a King Arthur/historical fiction sort of thing with fantastic elements. There's no magic or anything, and there's no "quest" involved. Just fascinating characters duking it out in a morally grey world. Definitely worth reading.

The Wheel of Time was great for the first 3 books. After that, it definitely derails. As I recall though, you can almost read through book 3 and just quit there. I swear the end of book 3 was supposed to be the end, but he realized if he kept reading, people would keep buying. After that though, it becomes a mess. If you think you have the fortitude to quit after that, go for it because the first 3 are pretty book. Otherwise, get rid of them before you're tempted ;)

I will check out Martin.

That's what I've heard about The Wheel of Time, that there are climaxes and endings throughout it that could have ended it, but he just kept going. Someone told me he introduced a whole new major character in book 10 when he has all these other characters with storylines that need to be resolved. As I'm sure you know, he died a couple of years ago and I guess he told his wife what should happen in the last book so that will be coming out.

Also, how did you just quote my part of the last post? A lot of times I will post but only want to quote the last part of the quotes since that is what I am responding to. At the other site, I used to just be able to delete everything that I didn't want to post and it would be fine. When I do it here, the quote is no longer in that different color and it blends in with I was typing. But I see you were able to do it. Hope this makes sense!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I have literally just started Tony Dungy's new book- soon after I will be catching up on John Wooden
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - How the Sex Drugs and Rock N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood
    It's a pretty great read about how Coppola, Scorcese, Spielberg, and other filmmakers, were among a new wave of directors challenging the old studio system in Hollywood in the 1970s. Lots of great stories about how some of the great movies of that era were made.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I was reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn...but I put that on hiatus to read Watchmen before the movie comes out. I believe it's justifiable. :P
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I am mid way through a Michael Crichton book called "Airframe." Its pretty good. It's about an quality assurance investigation over an airplane after a suspicious mid air flight incident which killed a few people, and injured a bunch more. Meanwhile, this airplane company is trying to seal a deal with China for some airplanes. It's getting pretty suspenseful.

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

What book are you reading?

scar tissue is a great book. they're making a show of it as well.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    rrivers wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    "Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd" by Nick Mason

How is that? I want to read it.
    Pretty decent.....not a lot of sex, drugs and rock n' roll type tabloid stuff....comes across as a very honest.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    just finished "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin & really liked it. now I'm trying to decide which of these 4 books I should read next. any suggestions?

-Big Fish (one of my favorite movies, have head great things about the book--looks like a quick read)
    -The Psychology of Baseball (christmas gift from my wife; i'm a baseball nut & study psychology..good fit!)
    -The Stand (an old stand by...lord knows how many times i've read it!)
    -Peoples History of The United States (i read this book in chunks b/c it's a lot to digest; i'm about 1/3 of the way through it)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I will check out Martin.

That's what I've heard about The Wheel of Time, that there are climaxes and endings throughout it that could have ended it, but he just kept going. Someone told me he introduced a whole new major character in book 10 when he has all these other characters with storylines that need to be resolved. As I'm sure you know, he died a couple of years ago and I guess he told his wife what should happen in the last book so that will be coming out.

Also, how did you just quote my part of the last post? A lot of times I will post but only want to quote the last part of the quotes since that is what I am responding to. At the other site, I used to just be able to delete everything that I didn't want to post and it would be fine. When I do it here, the quote is no longer in that different color and it blends in with I was typing. But I see you were able to do it. Hope this makes sense!

Yeah, I was glad to get out when I did... I'd feel kinda cheated if I read 10 books and he died before he finished. He said he had the last chapter of the series written before anything else and he wrote copious notes on how the last book was supposed to go. They tapped a guy named Brandon Sanderson to finish it, who has also apparently written some accomplished fantasy... I've not read any of it though.

As to the quotes, you should just be able to select and delete anything you don't want to be quoted. You've just got to be careful because if you accidentally delete one of the brackets or something, it'll mess up your quotes... so just don't tamper with the things that look like: [ / quote ] (minus the spaces).
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    just finished "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin & really liked it. now I'm trying to decide which of these 4 books I should read next. any suggestions?

-Big Fish (one of my favorite movies, have head great things about the book--looks like a quick read)
    -The Psychology of Baseball (christmas gift from my wife; i'm a baseball nut & study psychology..good fit!)
    -Peoples History of The United States (i read this book in chunks b/c it's a lot to digest; i'm about 1/3 of the way through it)

I enjoyed "Born Standing Up" a lot too.

I would would say the baseball book since spring training is in full swing.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:

Read the baseball book. I remember having a debate about this with my brother not long ago... about how baseball is the most mentally draining game. That the game is almost as much played against your own psyche as against the other team. I love baseball!

The Stand has intrigued me, but I don't know when I'll ever have the time to tackle the 1400 page monstrosity... I wish I could track down a copy of the old version before he felt the need to expand (aka bloat) it.
  • Options
    [/quote]

Read the baseball book. I remember having a debate about this with my brother not long ago... about how baseball is the most mentally draining game. That the game is almost as much played against your own psyche as against the other team. I love baseball!

The Stand has intrigued me, but I don't know when I'll ever have the time to tackle the 1400 page monstrosity... I wish I could track down a copy of the old version before he felt the need to expand (aka bloat) it.[/quote]

Baseball is the greatest game ever invented! You are so right that it is very mental.

The Stand is one of the best books I've ever read. The 1400 (or whatever it is) pages is not bloated. It's good stuff.

Another question about the quoting: I did what you said when I quoted this time and it still messed up. What am I doing wrong?!!!!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    mfc2006 wrote:

Have you read "Earth Abides" yet? If not, I highly, highly recommend it if you love The Stand.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Nation - Terry Pratchett
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Baseball is the greatest game ever invented! You are so right that it is very mental.

The Stand is one of the best books I've ever read. The 1400 (or whatever it is) pages is not bloated. It's good stuff.

Another question about the quoting: I did what you said when I quoted this time and it still messed up. What am I doing wrong?!!!!

It looks like you added an unnecessary quote at the beginning. When you press the quote button, it will automatically include the quote signifiers. You don't need to tinker with any of them. I was just typing the one I typed above to give you an example of what not to delete when you quote someone.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Roma by Steven Saylor
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Just purchased The Name of the Wind, The Watchmen, and Killing Yourself to Live yesterday. Probably will read The Watchmen first.

Picked up The Name of the Wind after reading the reviews in this thread.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks for the suggestions.....
    looks like i'll be starting "The Psychology of Baseball" this evening! as far as the stand goes, i don't feel like it's bloated. that was the way King wrote it & then had to trim it. it gives a bit more insight into the characters, i think.
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJSerf wrote:
    Just purchased The Name of the Wind, The Watchmen, and Killing Yourself to Live yesterday. Probably will read The Watchmen first.

Now I feel like I put myself on the line here!

I really enjoyed the Watchmen, first graphic novel I ever read.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    PJSerf wrote:

Now I feel like I put myself on the line here!

I really enjoyed the Watchmen, first graphic novel I ever read.

I really enjoyed it as well. Can't wait to go see the movie on Friday. Gonna try for the IMAX
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    PJSerf wrote:

I think you will enjoy "Name of the Wind". Let us know what you think.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    looks like i'll be starting "The Psychology of Baseball" this evening! as far as the stand goes, i don't feel like it's bloated. that was the was King wrote it & then had to trim it. it gives a bit more insight into the characters, i think.

I agree about "The Stand". I think King had to trim it because it would have cost too much the length it was and he only had a few books out at that point. I love the book so much that I didn't want it to end so I'm probably biased, but I agree that it doesn't feel bloated.
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    "i wanna be a ho", by velvet jones
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    looks like i'll be starting "The Psychology of Baseball" this evening! as far as the stand goes, i don't feel like it's bloated. that was the was King wrote it & then had to trim it. it gives a bit more insight into the characters, i think.

I agree about "The Stand". I think King had to trim it because it would have cost too much the length it was and he only had a few books out at that point. I love the book so much that I didn't want it to end so I'm probably biased, but I agree that it doesn't feel bloated.

Check out my recommendation above. If you haven't read "Earth Abides" yet, you really should. King must have been a huge fan of it, because vast portions of The Stand owe their inspiration to it.
  • Options
    "i wanna be a ho", by velvet jones

Awesome.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Check out my recommendation above. If you haven't read "Earth Abides" yet, you really should. King must have been a huge fan of it, because vast portions of The Stand owe their inspiration to it.

i will definitely check it out! thanks!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    PJ212 wrote:
    Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - How the Sex Drugs and Rock N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood
    It's a pretty great read about how Coppola, Scorcese, Spielberg, and other filmmakers, were among a new wave of directors challenging the old studio system in Hollywood in the 1970s. Lots of great stories about how some of the great movies of that era were made.

i read that a while back... i thought it was a great book... very informative and some of the stories were both amazing and humorous.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Just finished "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by William Goldman which also has some interesting stories about movies being made. It was written in 1982 so it's a bit dated, but still a good read. I will check out that Easy riders book.

I just started "Rebecca" this morning.