Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Next, I really need to get started on my literature review for my dissertation :oops: I've been kinda putting that off :? :oops:
    You've probably posted this somewhere but I missed it. What's your dissertation on?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The Importance of Music to Girls
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    Next, I really need to get started on my literature review for my dissertation :oops: I've been kinda putting that off :? :oops:
    You've probably posted this somewhere but I missed it. What's your dissertation on?

I don't think I've posted it anywhere else :) It's for my MA in Museum Studies. I am examining the use of Native American voices in the planning, interpretation and narration of the First Nations Gallery at the Royal British Columbia Museum (RBCM). Focusing primarily on the coastal native peoples of Vancouver Island.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    In the past week I have re-read the LoTR for the bazillionth time. I never get tired of reading old favourites.

I am planning to reread that once I finish Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series... which was very much inspired by LOTR.

I haven't read the Tad Williams series. I will check it out.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    In the past week I have re-read the LoTR for the bazillionth time. I never get tired of reading old favourites.

I am planning to reread that once I finish Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series... which was very much inspired by LOTR.

I haven't read the Tad Williams series. I will check it out.

It's REALLY long... 4 books, each is 800 pages. I've only read the first. Parts of it are incredible, parts of it are boring. I'm going to finish it out of sheer stubbornness though ;)
  • Options
    It's REALLY long... 4 books, each is 800 pages. I've only read the first. Parts of it are incredible, parts of it are boring. I'm going to finish it out of sheer stubbornness though ;)
    I would not have guessed that you're a stubborn person. ;)
  • Options
    I would not have guessed that you're a stubborn person. ;)

I know, it kinda flies in the face of my easy-going, conciliatory demeanor around here... but I swear it's true!
  • Options

I don't think I've posted it anywhere else :) It's for my MA in Museum Studies. I am examining the use of Native American voices in the planning, interpretation and narration of the First Nations Gallery at the Royal British Columbia Museum (RBCM). Focusing primarily on the coastal native peoples of Vancouver Island.
    Well, I wasn't sure. I've been a long time lurker in the Pit but I thought I might have missed it.

I didn't know there were degrees in Museum Studies but then, what do I know. I'm sure you have LOTS of research to do but that sounds enjoyable. Even though it's been a very long time since I was in school I still find that I enjoy researching things I'm interested in. I'll feel overwhelmed at first, then before I know it I've learned all kinds of things that absolutely delight me and probably bore everybody else silly. :roll:
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    "An enemy of the people" Ibsen
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    i just finished up eat pray love - elizabeth glibert? i think is the author's name - over the weekend, a fantastic read!

I LOOOOOOVED the Italy part. I barely made it through the India part.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Choke. Same guy that wrote fight club. I can't put it down!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    The Hour I First Believed - Wally Lamb

I don't know if "reading" is the right term. Sometimes, I feel more like I'm "slogging through." :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The 10 Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How it changed America
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Just finished "Let the Right One In". Now am reading "Adventures in the Screen Trade" by William Goldman.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Choke. Same guy that wrote fight club. I can't put it down!

I just finished "Choke". Good stuff! I'm beginning to really like Palahniuk's stuff.

Currently reading "The Road" by Cormac Mccarthy. Different than I expected. This guy really has a way with words.
    Brian
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    edited February 2009
    Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    i just finished up eat pray love - elizabeth glibert? i think is the author's name - over the weekend, a fantastic read!
    i'll be starting in about an hour, over lunch, eleven minutes - paulo coelho.

thus far, this seems a big year for books for me. :)
    lovin' it!
    8-)

finished up eleven minutes on wednesday and started the zahir ~ paulo coelho yesterday. bout half-way thru and really, really enjoying it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Finished "The Name of the Wind' last night... if you like Harry Potter at all, but want something a bit more grown up, this book is it. I thought it was awesome... plus it's more college than high school. Lot of fun to read. The only problem is it's 1st in a trilogy and the other 2 aren't out yet so now I'll have to wait years to see how it ends!

Now I'm reading:
    A Simple Plan- Scott Smith
  • Options
    Finished Ishamel a couple days ago.

Just about done with The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan (the dude who wrote Marley & Me).

• Options

Just about done with The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan (the dude who wrote Marley & Me).

i read that about a month ago (and that at the end of december).
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Finished "The Name of the Wind' last night... if you like Harry Potter at all, but want something a bit more grown up, this book is it. I thought it was awesome... plus it's more college than high school. Lot of fun to read. The only problem is it's 1st in a trilogy and the other 2 aren't out yet so now I'll have to wait years to see how it ends!

Now I'm reading:

I enjoyed "The Name of the Wind" too.
  • Options

hahahaha. I really am liking TLTH...I think more than I liked M & M.

• Options

hahahaha. I really am liking TLTH...I think more than I liked M & M.

i liked them both...but i think my feelings are the reverse of yours. :D
    perhaps b/c marley was read, and written, first...i was already introduced to his 'style'...and sure, i am a total sucker for dogs. the other was really just as good, just not as much to discover for me...and yes, a bit more nostalgic. oh, idk,,,neither were truly 'surprising' stories, and both were very 'familiar' to me......but i guess marley just won me over more.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    rrivers wrote:

Now I'm reading:

I was a bit nervous going in as I figured there was no way it could live up to the hype it's gotten, but this was the rare instance where the work exceeds the hype I thought.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Now I'm reading:

I was a bit nervous going in as I figured there was no way it could live up to the hype it's gotten, but this was the rare instance where the work exceeds the hype I thought.

I was at a bookstore and someone working there told me he was known as a fantasy expert so if I had any questions to ask him. I asked him what his favorite series was and he said "The Name of the Wind", but it's frustrating because the other books aren't out yet. I took his advice and enjoyed it. I haven't read a lot of fantasy (just the first "Wheel of Time" book). I will read the rest of this series when it comes out.
  • Options
    Has anyone here read Little Bee by Chris Cleave (originally published as The Other Hand in the UK)? I admittedly skimmed sections since I came across it at work (though I 'skimmed' from beginning to end...) but I thought it was phenomenal. Can't wait to pick up a copy and re-read it.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd" by Nick Mason
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i am halfway through "the dharma bums" by jack kerouak. pretty good so far. trying to finish it fast so i can finally read "the hells angles" by hunter s thompson.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I was at a bookstore and someone working there told me he was known as a fantasy expert so if I had any questions to ask him. I asked him what his favorite series was and he said "The Name of the Wind", but it's frustrating because the other books aren't out yet. I took his advice and enjoyed it. I haven't read a lot of fantasy (just the first "Wheel of Time" book). I will read the rest of this series when it comes out.

I read about 5-6 of the Wheel of Time books before I realized he was never going to finish it. After I gave up I swore I'd never start another unfinished series like that again. Part of the appeal of Name of the Wind was I had been told the series was done and they were just releasing the 3 books a year apart... now the second book has been pushed back. Figures. I also got sucked into George RR Martin's series, which is amazing but also unfinished. It's unlike anything I ever read... very gritty realism and some truly shocking plot developments. It sent me on a bit of a fantasy kick (which lead to Name of the Wind, among others).

However, I'm kinda burning out on it again. I'm on book 2 of a 3000 page juggernaut fantasy series (Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn) and I'm about to give up. I don't have the time or patience for this kind of reading anymore :)

So now I'm reading "Caught Stealing" by Charlie Huston. A nice brutal noir mystery... my favorite!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I have 2 sitting waiting

Gomorrah - Roberto Saviano
    &
    The Damned United - David Peace
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.