Prevail-regardless what the cost might be
    Power-flows inside of me, you can't bring me
    Never-fall as long as I try
    Refuse-to be a part of your lie
    Even-if it means I die, you can't bring me
    You...can't...bring...me...down!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    this is my summer reading list... all books i have accumulated over the last few months and havent been able to read due to law school:

julian barnes- arthur and george
    raymond chandler- complete works (ive read 3 of his novels, i wanna hit the rest)
    wilkie collins- woman in white
    fyodor dostoyevsky- brothers karamazov
    james ellroy- black dahlia
    jasper fforde- lost in a good book, well of lost plots, something rotten
    gabriel garcia marquez- love in the time of cholera, 100 years of solitude
    uzodinma iweala- beasts of no nation
    ken kalfus- a disorder peculiar to the nation
    chad klutgen- average american male
    adam langer- crossing california
    tim obrien- things they carried
    steven pressfield- gates of fire
    richard russo- straight man
    ian samson- case of the missing books
    dana spiotta- eat the document
    oscar wilde- picture of dorian gray
    howard zinn- people's history of the united state

20 books, plus however many novels i havent read in the chandler collection. ive got my work cut out for me ;)

i finished 'woman who walked into doors' by roddy doyle last night. he's an amazing writer and that was a pretty gut-wrenching book.
  • Options
    mookie_in_eugenemookie_in_eugene Posts: 1,090
    I'm on a huge Vonnegut kick right now

Breakfast of Champions

then I'll be on to Sirens of the Titans

RIP Vonnegut
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    Beyond Good & Evil by Frederich Nietzsche
    Nestor Makhno; Anarchy's Cossack by Alexandre Skirda
    Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes

That's everything!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Finally finished an awful book, "The Descent" by Jeff Long. Horrible!

I am a few pages from finishing "Travels" by Michael Crichton and will start "The Mote In God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle when I am done. Also, I am about half way through "The historian".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    The Time Traveler’s Wife. I can’t put it down.

PEARL JAM IS MENTIONED ON PAGE 204 of the hardcover
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    Bluebeard by Vonnegut for the second time.
  • Options
    I liked the story and the writing. It's really vividly written, and the characters are well-drawn.

I did find a big chunk in the middle a bit tedious though. If the story was a bit more tightened up the pace could have been a lot stronger. But that's just my opinion.

Hope you enjoy it!

Restless Soul,

I have to say that I agree with you about The Historian. I am on page 340 and it has really gotten tedious. It is extremely well-written but it does get bogged down in the characters just looking through old texts.

I actually picked up "This Book Will Save Your Life" by AM Homes and finished it while still reading The Historian. I am now working on "The Kite Runner". It is great so far! I still read a few pages of The Historian every day. Hopefully it will pick up again.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Fear and Loathing in America - Hunter S. Thompson
    For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
    Strike the Father Dead - John Wain
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi (I'm almost done)
    Reading Like a Writer - Francine Prose (I just started)

I need a list of incredible books non-fiction/fiction what have you published in 2000 or later. Any ideas?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi (I'm almost done)
    Reading Like a Writer - Francine Prose (I just started)

I need a list of incredible books non-fiction/fiction what have you published in 2000 or later. Any ideas?

I mentioned this in a seperate thread, but I read My Friend Leonard (by James Frey) over the weekend (IN TWO DAYS)! One of the best books I've ever read...seriously, honestly, un-putdown-able.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    any books out there like angels and demons??

this was the greatest book ever!
  • Options
    I mentioned this in a seperate thread, but I read My Friend Leonard (by James Frey) over the weekend (IN TWO DAYS)! One of the best books I've ever read...seriously, honestly, un-putdown-able.
    I'm a little leary of James Frey. If the writing is incredible then that would be worth it. A good story is a good story even if fiction is marketed as memoir. My understanding of James Frey memoirs is that they are created as opposed to spilled.

Is it because of the word choice, the language that it is good, or is it because it is supposedly a true story?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Restless SoulRestless Soul Posts: 805
    rrivers wrote:
    Restless Soul,

I have to say that I agree with you about The Historian. I am on page 340 and it has really gotten tedious. It is extremely well-written but it does get bogged down in the characters just looking through old texts.

I actually picked up "This Book Will Save Your Life" by AM Homes and finished it while still reading The Historian. I am now working on "The Kite Runner". It is great so far! I still read a few pages of The Historian every day. Hopefully it will pick up again.

The kite runner is fab! i'm looking forward to getting his second book, just out now. Can't remember the title. Shame about the historian - I can see it could make a really good movie one day - it' just depends on whether any director will choose to plough through it!

Persoanlly I've just finished Shantaram, which is brilliant btw, and onto Lucky You by Carl Hiasson, which is really funny.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm a little leary of James Frey. If the writing is incredible then that would be worth it. A good story is a good story even if fiction is marketed as memoir. My understanding of James Frey memoirs is that they are created as opposed to spilled.

Is it because of the word choice, the language that it is good, or is it because it is supposedly a true story?

This is SUCH a misnomer. It (AMLP) is not a complete fiction that he tried to pull off as an autobiography. The majority of it is truth with some facts changed (i.e. the amount of time he spent in jail). You can look it up for yourself on http://www.thesmokinggun.com. In spite of it, though...you really should check him out. His writing style is amazing...truly one of the best authors I've ever read....seriously.

• Options
    The kite runner is fab! i'm looking forward to getting his second book, just out now. Can't remember the title. Shame about the historian - I can see it could make a really good movie one day - it' just depends on whether any director will choose to plough through it!

Persoanlly I've just finished Shantaram, which is brilliant btw, and onto Lucky You by Carl Hiasson, which is really funny.

Yeah, The Kite Runner is AMAZING!! And, ironically, I'm on amazon right now ordering the new one!

• Options
    I wasn't a big fan of The Kite Runner. The first part is good, and the last part is good, but the time in the US is like a desert of thought between two areas of actions. It just kindof goes bland. That may reflect how the author wanted us to view the life of the main character and his dad; that the excitement was in their home country. In the US they had to start anew, but all the action up to that point just drained them, and all of the challenges in the new country added to the depression.

He wrote the events in the US as downtime, and that's what it read like.
  • Options

I enjoyed A Million Little Pieces.

Ms. haiku, I also started "Reading Like a Writer". It was interesting but I moved on to some fiction. I will get back to it.
  • Options
    crittablescrittables Posts: 342
    I'm reading "the road to hell" the ravaging effects of foreign aid and international charity" bye micahel maren and it's actually quite good. i picked it up to use for a paper i'm writing, didn't think i'd actually want to read the entire thing.

and i'm trying to finish up "tortilla flat" by steinbeck but i haven't had much time to pick it up lately

i just read "a long way gone" by ishmael beah. true story of the author and the time he spent as a child soldier in sierra leone. great book. i recommend it.
  • Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    This Book Will Save Your Life ~ A.M. Homes

The Science of Mind ~ Ernest Holmes
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    more love for the kite runner this way. i ordered the new one from work as well...a thousand suns?! cant wait

right now im reading the poisonwood bible, about a third of the way in. its really well structured and is drawing me in..

also reading 'an unconsidered people' about irish immigrants in london in past sixty years. just people's individual testimonies, which i always find v interesting.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Finally started reading Northern Lights (His Dark Materials) the other day. Seems good so far.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    rrivers wrote:
    Restless Soul,

Must have been that stage I gave up with it. The Kite Runner was excellent. Just finished The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks which I enjoyed. I'm still looking for a book as good as The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon...magnificent!!!!
  • Options
    vmfury wrote:
    This Book Will Save Your Life ~ A.M. Homes

The Science of Mind ~ Ernest Holmes

vmfury, what do you think of "This Book Will Save Your Life"?
  • Options
    Finally started reading Northern Lights (His Dark Materials) the other day. Seems good so far.

I read the first one, "The Golden Compass" earlier this year. It was pretty good. I have the second one but haven't gotten to it yet.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I enjoyed A Million Little Pieces.

Ms. haiku, I also started "Reading Like a Writer". It was interesting but I moved on to some fiction. I will get back to it.
    Have you read My Friend Leonard?? If possible, it's even better than AMLP.

Ms. Haiku...if you want, I'll send you my copy of MFL. I'm done with it.

• Options
    vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,079
    rrivers wrote:
    vmfury, what do you think of "This Book Will Save Your Life"?

I really like it so far. It puts life into perspective and creates a picture of appreciation as opposed to self-involvement. It's a reminder of the things that are truly important beyond the surface of what we put so much unnecessary energy into on a daily basis. Have you read it?
    Shut the fuck up, stupid.
    ~ Ice Queen
  • Options
    Have you read My Friend Leonard?? If possible, it's even better than AMLP.

Ms. Haiku...if you want, I'll send you my copy of MFL. I'm done with it.
    Very nice of you :) PM coming.
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond....Some very interesting stuff in this book. Mostly a break down of how the wealthiest, most powerful countries got that way in the last 13,000 years of human history.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Tolkien....just rereading it

and every once and awhile just to feel uber-smart, I peck through a bit of A Brief Histroy of Time
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    currently reading "hate mail from cheerleaders" ~Rick Riley
    The best sports writer.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!