Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    THC wrote:
    I just started reading Bob Dylan's autobiography. So far...so good.
    That was a good read. Interesting, and he definitely plays with chronological order. There's a part when I realize he writes a bit tongue in cheek.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I just picked up George Tenet's book, Center of the storm. I love anything to do with spies and CIA....
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Democracy Matters ~ Colnel West
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Please Kill Me
    (The Uncensored Oral History of Punk)
    by Legs Mcneil and Gillian Mccain

great stuff so far
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    Lucky - Alice Sebold
    love it!
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    The Great Gatsby

I read it in college about 15 years ago. Thought I'd reacquaint myself. I also started volume 2 of the Gonzo letters the other day.
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    Robert M. Pirsig - Lila
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Blaze- Stephen King

Flags of our Fathers- James Bradley

Both are really good so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The Great Gatsby

I read it in college about 15 years ago. Thought I'd reacquaint myself. I also started volume 2 of the Gonzo letters the other day.

i just started this a couple of days ago. it's one of the required texts for my next semester, along with wuthering heights and the unbearable lightness of being. i'm finding it a bit blah atm. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i just started this a couple of days ago. it's one of the required texts for my next semester, along with wuthering heights and the unbearable lightness of being. i'm finding it a bit blah atm. :)

I read most, maybe all of it, and I don't remember liking it that much. I don't even know if I finished it. I will probably read it again.
  • Options
    the blind assassin- m atwood.

sometimes i go on here too:

http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arthurs/
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rrivers wrote:
    I read most, maybe all of it, and I don't remember liking it that much. I don't even know if I finished it. I will probably read it again.

oh great. :rolleyes: that good huh?
    well it would be too much to ask for if they assigned us books we actually wanted to read and found engaging.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I just finished reading a book by Al Franken, The Truth, or something. Now on to Blaze by Richard Bachman
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    star wars, heir to the empire.

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nerrrrrrddddddddd
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    I just finished reading a book by Al Franken, The Truth, or something. Now on to Blaze by Richard Bachman

I am really enjoying Blaze. I didn't think I would like it that much but it is really good.
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Still reading:

Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Jonathan Franzen "you don't love me yet"
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    I started A Thousand Splendid Suns (by the author of Kite Runner) over the weekend. I'm about a 100 pages into it and it's really good so far (not nearly as good as KR though).
    i'm reading a thousand splendid suns now. i thought the kite runner was the best book i had read in years and i'm equally enthused about this one...i can't put it down!
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown. So far so good, not quite on par with Angels & Demons though.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    just started "One Hundred Years of Solitude" last night.

cant wait to finish it.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Just finished "Wintergreen: Rambles in a Ravaged Land" by Robert M. Pyle. Good book about the forests in Willapa, WA.

Reading "Reason for Hope" by Jane Goodall right now. She was quite the adventurer in her youth & a brave woman.
  • Options
    seagoat2 wrote:
    Just finished "Wintergreen: Rambles in a Ravaged Land" by Robert M. Pyle. Good book about the forests in Willapa, WA.

Reading "Reason for Hope" by Jane Goodall right now. She was quite the adventurer in her youth & a brave woman.
    those BOTH sound good!!!

i gotta read the second one!!! shes awesome. thanks!
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    Sextants of Beijing by Joanna Waley-Cohen for a book club next week. I finished The Manual by Steve Santagati recently which was the best relationship book I've read because it is blunt yet humorous. Makes me want to start dating again just to see how much fun it could be :) I wrote a review on my blog http://bibliobella.blogspot.com
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    nfanel wrote:
    i'm reading a thousand splendid suns now. i thought the kite runner was the best book i had read in years and i'm equally enthused about this one...i can't put it down!
    You are the only other person I know that's reading it!!! Let me know when you're finished. I think I'm in "Part 3".
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    You are the only other person I know that's reading it!!! Let me know when you're finished. I think I'm in "Part 3".
    I am also psyched to read that. The dummy that chose the book for this month's book club didn't pick it even though we were all emailing each other about it. Kite Runner was amazing. I used to tell people in the line at the market to read it. My heart swells just to think about it.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I am also psyched to read that. The dummy that chose the book for this month's book club didn't pick it even though we were all emailing each other about it. Kite Runner was amazing. I used to tell people in the line at the market to read it. My heart swells just to think about it.

Really? Swells?? It is one of the saddest, if not THE saddest book I have ever read! BUT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING GOOD!

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I bought it the day it was released and finished it in two days .... couldn't put it down, I highly recommend it!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I bought it the day it was released and finished it in two days .... couldn't put it down, I highly recommend it!

Yeah, it's really really really good. I still don't think it's as good as Kite Runner, but definitely a recommended. I haven't finished it as I haven't had alot of time to read lately.

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Yeah, it's really really really good. I still don't think it's as good as Kite Runner, but definitely a recommended. I haven't finished it as I haven't had alot of time to read lately.
    I'd have to agree that it wasn't quite as good as The Kite Runner, at least it didn't take my breath away to the same degree, but I still enjoyed it a lot. My daughter is reading it now and really likes it. She never read Kite Runner, but when I told her it was even better she decided that she's going to read it next.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963