What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Speaking of sports, anyone read the following:

Shut Out: A Story of Race and Baseball in Boston by Howard Bryant

?

I heard it was good. Was it?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    tobbac wrote:
    bhagavad gita

so... did you like it.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Have you read My Friend Leonard?? If possible, it's even better than AMLP.

Ms. Haiku...if you want, I'll send you my copy of MFL. I'm done with it.

No, I haven't read My Friend Leonard. It is on my to read list though.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    vmfury wrote:
    I really like it so far. It puts life into perspective and creates a picture of appreciation as opposed to self-involvement. It's a reminder of the things that are truly important beyond the surface of what we put so much unnecessary energy into on a daily basis. Have you read it?

Yeah I just finished it over the weekend. I enjoyed it. I agree with what you said. I did have a problem with part of it, but I don't know how far you are into it so I won't tell you. It's nothing shocking just I hate to have books ruined for me.
  • Options
    smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    Naked Empire - by Terry Goodkind
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,752
    The Name of the Rose

and Transcending Anger: Heart Path (or some crap like that.)
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Re-reading The Sun Also Rises for the 20th time.
    I chose it for my bookclub this month.
    In my top 5 books.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    atm i am ploughing through stephen king's lisey's story
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Elementary Particles by Michel Houellebecq.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    smokeabud wrote:
    Naked Empire - by Terry Goodkind

Another Goodkind fan, yay !!
    Naked Empire was the weakest I thnk, Chainfire and Phantom are much , much better, hope the last one will be oot soon.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i just finished "god grew tired of us" a memoir by john bul dau...really good, now i want to see the documentary.

i'm now reading "not on my watch" by don cheadle and john prendergast
    and "blink" by malcolm gladwell
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    ForestBrainForestBrain Posts: 460
    I'm reading "Prince of Demons" by Mickey Zucker Reichert.

BTW, does anybody own a paper back copy of "The Blade of Fortrui" that they are willing to sell? I can't find that book anywhere...
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    The Name of the Rose

and Transcending Anger: Heart Path (or some crap like that.)

I loved the movie of 'The Name of the Rose' and have been meaning to read the book. How is it?
  • Options
    atm i am ploughing through stephen king's lisey's story

I really enjoyed "Lisey's Story". King has a new book coming out next week. What do you think of "Lisey's Story"?
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Waiting For Godot - Samuel Beckett
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rrivers wrote:
    I really enjoyed "Lisey's Story". King has a new book coming out next week. What do you think of "Lisey's Story"?

i'm only 60 pages into it.
    the fact that scott is/was a writer is the reason i'm reading it. my nearly 10 year old son saw the thickness of the book and reckons that i won't finish before saturday(when it's due back at the library). i told him stephen king was an easy read generally so i'll have no problem with it taking me only a week to read.
    i dont read king often, but sometimes i just get in a mood for him. i'm more a fan of his non horror. dolores claiborne, misery, the girl who loved tom gordon. though i did quite enjoy the dark half.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    subterraneans - jack kerouac
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Kahled Hosseini. It was wonderful.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Just about to start Everything is Illuminated by Johnathon Foer. Saw the movie and wanted to check out the book. I recommend the movie to everyone and especially to anyone who has Ukrainian and/or Jewish lineage.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    korbykorby Posts: 298
    PLAYBOY

and into INTERRED WITH THIER BONES . story of Bill Miner the train robber
    its ok
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Whatever the professor tells me tomorrow night.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    i'm only 60 pages into it.
    the fact that scott is/was a writer is the reason i'm reading it. my nearly 10 year old son saw the thickness of the book and reckons that i won't finish before saturday(when it's due back at the library). i told him stephen king was an easy read generally so i'll have no problem with it taking me only a week to read.
    i dont read king often, but sometimes i just get in a mood for him. i'm more a fan of his non horror. dolores claiborne, misery, the girl who loved tom gordon. though i did quite enjoy the dark half.

Yeah it is an easy read but it is still really long! Lisey's is really good.
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    "Absalom, Absalom" by Wm. Faulkner and "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton. Faulkner's incredibly long sentences kill me. Bouton does a good job of taking us into MLB.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I started A Thousand Splendid Suns (by the author of Kite Runner) over the weekend. I'm about a 100 pages into it and it's really good so far (not nearly as good as KR though).
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I just wrapped up the Predator's Ball
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    daystar143daystar143 Posts: 367
    this is my summer reading list... all books i have accumulated over the last few months and havent been able to read due to law school:

julian barnes- arthur and george
    raymond chandler- complete works (ive read 3 of his novels, i wanna hit the rest)
    wilkie collins- woman in white
    fyodor dostoyevsky- brothers karamazov
    james ellroy- black dahlia
    jasper fforde- lost in a good book, well of lost plots, something rotten
    gabriel garcia marquez- love in the time of cholera, 100 years of solitude
    uzodinma iweala- beasts of no nation
    ken kalfus- a disorder peculiar to the nation
    chad klutgen- average american male
    adam langer- crossing california
    tim obrien- things they carried
    steven pressfield- gates of fire
    richard russo- straight man
    ian samson- case of the missing books
    dana spiotta- eat the document
    oscar wilde- picture of dorian gray
    howard zinn- people's history of the united state

20 books, plus however many novels i havent read in the chandler collection. ive got my work cut out for me ;)

i finished 'woman who walked into doors' by roddy doyle last night. he's an amazing writer and that was a pretty gut-wrenching book.

Damn, that's impressive...I was two years out of law school before I wanted to read anything ever again! And I was an avid reader up until the time of the dreaded casebook.
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I wasn't a big fan of The Kite Runner. The first part is good, and the last part is good, but the time in the US is like a desert of thought between two areas of actions. It just kindof goes bland. That may reflect how the author wanted us to view the life of the main character and his dad; that the excitement was in their home country. In the US they had to start anew, but all the action up to that point just drained them, and all of the challenges in the new country added to the depression.

He wrote the events in the US as downtime, and that's what it read like.

I finished The Kite Runner last night. I liked the whole thing. I thought the parts in the US were still good, seeing his dad adapt to the new place and then him meeting his wife. Plus the whole time, it was suspenseful wondering what Rhalid Kham (sp?) told him.

Now I am reading "Positively Fifth St."
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    rrivers wrote:
    I finished The Kite Runner last night. I liked the whole thing. I thought the parts in the US were still good, seeing his dad adapt to the new place and then him meeting his wife. Plus the whole time, it was suspenseful wondering what Rhalid Kham (sp?) told him.

Oh yeah, I LOOOOOVED Kite Runner!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525
    I just started reading Bob Dylan's autobiography. So far...so good.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish