Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,105
    I'm into sports history, so I'm reading the Roberto Clemente book that came out last year. I'm about 130 pages into it so far.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

cate, you're nuts! crime and punishment changed my life... convinced me to major in literature, among other things.

i could well be nuts conor. but i'm not reading it for pleasure. i'm reading it for uni. i find it hard going cause right now in my life it's not a book i would have chosen to read. our prof tears it apart so much it loses any appeal. and i am not thrilled with raskolnikov finding redemption. but that's just my atheist views finding fault with religion. plus raskolnikov just annoys me.
    i enjoy it well enough, but i'd have preferred to come to it on my own. but the brothers karamazov, the idiot and the rest will have to wait a while.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    currently reading (well looking at as its a b&w street photo book)

Gary Stochl - On City Streets
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    danleridanleri Posts: 497
    I'm reading a book about history of cannabis, and also a biography about The Who, and I don't know which one is more hallucinogenic...
    Verona '00 | Dublin '06 | Barcelona '06 | London '07 | Copenhagen '07 | Berlin '09 | Dublin '10 | Belfast '10 | Berlin '10 | Toronto1 '11 | Toronto2 '11 | Amsterdam1 '12 | Stockholm '12 | Oslo '12 | Copenhagen '12 | Brooklyn1 '13 | Brooklyn2 '13 | Amsterdam1 '14 | Amsterdam2 '14 | Vienna '14 | Berlin '14
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I did that, for my first degree. I should re-read it, sometime.

what do you mean by that fins?
    you did bram stoker's dracula. cause i'm having all sorts of visions. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    The new Nirvana Biography.
    I like all the stories, true or not about K.C. Little things, like Kurt pissing his pants on the way to a Sammy Hagar concert or how he and his first live-in girlfriend both had pet rats and thats how they got together. Mostly just how wack he was. I mean he was a nut.
    Matt Lukin from the Melvins is mentioned a lot.
    Not a must read, I wasn't a big Nirvana fan, but I certainly wanted to see what Pearl Jam references where in there. Will post again if I read anything worth noting.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Lazy butt.
    I'm reading Star Wars: The Last Command. I even make the lightsaber noises.

Kidding.

Hey Beck, say g'bye, I'm outta this happenin' pot of excitement that is Amherst in 3 days. Back to HRM for me.

What? but I never got to go to the dancing dooly's with you? :( :p:D Enjoy Halifax..like that is hard to do :p

g'bye? Are you not coming back to the pit either? :confused:

Well this lazy butt has to get to work :o
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    What? but I never got to go to the dancing dooly's with you? :( :p:D Enjoy Halifax..like that is hard to do :p

g'bye? Are you not coming back to the pit either? :confused:

Well this lazy butt has to get to work :o

I'll be around the pit, but my utilities are disconnected...today sometime...
    How I'll miss that Dooly's...sniff sniff. And all the super Neons and Cavaliers...the townspeople will make them fly yet!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I'll be around the pit, but my utilities are disconnected...today sometime...
    How I'll miss that Dooly's...sniff sniff. And all the super Neons and Cavaliers...the townspeople will make them fly yet!

Well like any utility company I am sure they will be right on time :rolleyes: :p

I am sure you will miss that Amherst.. I miss it just thinking about it.. those super Neons with the bass pumping.. good times.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Well like any utility company I am sure they will be right on time :rolleyes: :p

I am sure you will miss that Amherst.. I miss it just thinking about it.. those super Neons with the bass pumping.. good times.

And the spoilers...obviously necessary to prevent liftoff.
    Well we'll see how things go. I'll be pretty bored all weekend without cable or internet to occupy my time. I might have to go watch the 16 year old bust a move at Dooly's after all.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    SoLATisA wrote:
    i've been on such a Nelson DeMille kick lately....

after reading all the John Corey books backwards, I have finally begun "Plum Island".... I do not think anything will top the "Lion's Game"

I got his one about the real plane crash where they thought it was shot down. I can't remember the name of it but it was a good, fun read. I think I read the whole thing in 3 days!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Friday Night Lights
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Just started on a classic: Adventures of Huck Finn by Mark Twain.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i could well be nuts conor. but i'm not reading it for pleasure. i'm reading it for uni. i find it hard going cause right now in my life it's not a book i would have chosen to read. our prof tears it apart so much it loses any appeal. and i am not thrilled with raskolnikov finding redemption. but that's just my atheist views finding fault with religion. plus raskolnikov just annoys me.
    i enjoy it well enough, but i'd have preferred to come to it on my own. but the brothers karamazov, the idiot and the rest will have to wait a while.

i think maybe i relate to raskolnikov more perhaps... im one arrogant son of a bitch ;)
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Teacherman by Frank McCourt, starting it this weekend.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    parel jam wrote:
    Just started on a classic: Adventures of Huck Finn by Mark Twain.

Quality. I'm gonna teach that muthafucker to Korean kids. They may find the colloquialism's hard to grasp but it's a story that should grip any kid. I've got a dvd of it which I'll play em aswell.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    im one arrogant son of a bitch ;)

REALLY?! YOU?! And a lawyer at that?!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

If you like that, then read Peter Matthiessen's 'In the Spirit of Crazy Horse'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spirit-Crazy-Horse-Peter-Matthiessen/dp/0670836176/ref=sr_1_2/202-6123721-5614221?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177692140&sr=1-2
  • Options
    REALLY?! YOU?! And a lawyer at that?!

shocking isn't it?

im going to do a james cain double feature after i finish 2 of my finals:
    double indemnity
    postman always rings twice
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    Friday Night Lights

Is it good? I read 3 Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger and thought it would be really good, but I didn't like his writing style at all.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    shocking isn't it?

im going to do a james cain double feature after i finish 2 of my finals:
    double indemnity
    postman always rings twice

How's your kissing situation, btw? She still suck (no pun intended)?

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Don't you have a date tonite? Or is it tomorrow?
    I am glad to hear that you were not mad.
    I was not making fun. I think you are cool.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Don't you have a date tonite? Or is it tomorrow?
    I am glad to hear that you were not mad.
    I was not making fun. I think you are cool.

It's tomorrow. What time should I expect you to come over and do my makeup?? I gotta impress him, he's a 10Clubber (and no, he doesn't post on the Pit).

P.S. You're cool, too!

• Options

much improved. i think things are going to turn out ok.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    It's tomorrow. What time should I expect you to come over and do my makeup?? I gotta impress him, he's a 10Clubber (and no, he doesn't post on the Pit).

P.S. You're cool, too!
    From what I can tell....you are raring and ready to go! :p
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Lets get this thread back on track....

Has anyone read the new Lee Iacocca book, "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?" I really want to read it.
  • Options
    i think maybe i relate to raskolnikov more perhaps... im one arrogant son of a bitch ;)

i just hated the way he was trying to justify his act. but i think perhaps that was the point of the book. to show that NO ONE is above the morality of the society in which they live, no matter how extraordinary they think themselves to be. and that one can only find salvation in God. or some shit like that. i could be wrong of course. :)
    though i did like the raskolnikov/sridrigailov juxtaposition.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I loved Don Delillo - MaoII - Anyone have further suggestions?
  • Options
    Mel1979Mel1979 Posts: 17
    I am into book 3 of the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson. This one is called "The Gap Into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises". I've never read any science fiction before this series which was thrust upon me by a good friend, and so far I am grateful as I'm loving it. Some parts have been quite dark and disturbing, with the author having the ability to make you despise characters in one book only to make you feel a little sorry for them in the next, and so far I haven't been able to put it down.