Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    hippiemom wrote:
    I LOVE David Sidaris. Laugh-out-loud funny ... don't read it on the bus or in a waiting room unless you don't mind everyone thinking you're crazy :D

OMG! ME too!! My personal favorite..."Me Talk Pretty One Day".
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    hippiemom wrote:
    I thought Wicked was disappointing, I didn't even finish it.
    you are the second person i've heard say that.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Has anyone read "My Friend Leonard"? I purchased it as I enjoyed "A Million Little Pieces". Is it as good??
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    nfanel wrote:
    you are the second person i've heard say that.
    Like civ_eng_girl, I really don't care for his writing style, and didn't find the story all that interesting. Great premise, but the book didn't do anything for me. I plowed through it to a little beyond the halfway point before deciding life was too short to spend any more time on it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    I read "Wicked" and thought it was just ok. Parts of it were really good and parts were really slow. When I first started "Wicked", I thought it was going to be fantastic but it didn't maintain the momentum. I read "Confessions" and thought it was better but still not that great. It was an interesting story until the whole going to the ball part that made it too much Cinderella for me. I know it is based on it, but that part really turned me off.

I finished "Lost" in January and was again disappointed. "Lost" was probably the worst of the three.

Why do I keep reading him if I don't like his book? Excellent question. I have "Son of a Witch" in my stack to read as well.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    daystar143daystar143 Posts: 367
    I liked Wicked and Son of a Witch, but then again, I've been told my tastes in literature are unusual.

Right now, I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and I love it. Fortunately, other, more normal people like it, too, so I can recommend it without (much) worry.
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    OMG! ME too!! My personal favorite..."Me Talk Pretty One Day".
    I can't pick a favorite, I love them all :D

Also, I'm not a fan of books on tape ... I have a hard time focusing, I'd rather read the book myself ... but I can recommend his. It's funny hearing him and his sister, the inflections in their voices ... very entertaining!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    hippiemom wrote:
    I can't pick a favorite, I love them all :D

Also, I'm not a fan of books on tape ... I have a hard time focusing, I'd rather read the book myself ... but I can recommend his. It's funny hearing him and his sister, the inflections in their voices ... very entertaining!

I read most of "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and thought it was hilarious. I never finished it for some reason, but I can't remember why not. I need to pick it up again.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    at the mountains of madness - hp lovecraft.

i finally settled into the school thing so hopefully i can get some reading done now.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald and The Assassins' Gate, America in Iraq by George Packer (Just started.)

I recently finished The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan, and I have another craving for incredibly well-written non-fiction. Thus, the George Packer book which is well recommended. The Timothy Egan book was excellent! Easily a 4.5/5 stars.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It is O.K. so far but I am looking forward to re-reading all the Vonnegut books. It has been a few years since I read them.
  • Options
    parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Winner take nothing - Ernest Hemingway.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    crime and punishment.....still :(

and

the bookseller of kabul by asne seierstad.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    frgntoadfrgntoad Posts: 77
    Psychology and the Legal System, A Brief Narrative History of the United States, Research in Psychology, and to top it all off...A Brief History of Western Civilization. 20 quarter hours of self improvment, yet 60 hours till graduation...I hope I get one good job when I'm done!
    I am a loser with high self esteem......
  • Options
    I just started reading "Under the Banner of Heaven". Even though I am only a small way into it I am really enjoying it. Truly amazing what people believe and what lengths religious fanatics go to :confused: Although when they are explaining who marries who it gets very complicated when a fifteen year old marries her uncle and then his niece marries that girl's father and .. it is just.. crazy :eek: Very well written book though.
  • Options
    Well since I killed this thread :o:p I thought I might attempt to bring it back to life..;)

Although I am still reading the book in my last post I just got this other book from the library so I have to get through it by Monday. I am not usually into John Grisham except for maybe " A Time to Kill" but his new book of non fiction "The Innocent Man" is really quite good but really quite scary that this can happen. Maybe it was already mentioned but besides being a thread killer evidently I am also a lazy arse tonight who won't flip back through the many pages and look :o .
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Well since I killed this thread :o:p I thought I might attempt to bring it back to life..;)

Although I am still reading the book in my last post I just got this other book from the library so I have to get through it by Monday. I am not usually into John Grisham except for maybe " A Time to Kill" but his new book of non fiction "The Innocent Man" is really quite good but really quite scary that this can happen. Maybe it was already mentioned but besides being a thread killer evidently I am also a lazy arse tonight who won't flip back through the many pages and look :o .

Lazy butt.
    I'm reading Star Wars: The Last Command. I even make the lightsaber noises.

Kidding.

Hey Beck, say g'bye, I'm outta this happenin' pot of excitement that is Amherst in 3 days. Back to HRM for me.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I'm currently reading 'I hope they serve beer in Hell' by Tucker Max, as recommended by someone on this thread who's name I forget.

I'm also reading 'The art of always being right - Thirty eight ways to win when you are defeated' By Arthur Schopenhauer.
  • Options
    sicnevolsicnevol Posts: 180
    "I hope they serve beer in Hell." Tucker Max.

I read alot, but this is just fluff.. I just finished the david eddings catolouge.
    That's two things we've got, Tape and Time.
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Ellis Avery's The Teahouse Fire...pretty good so far.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    Don't really have time for reading outside of stuff for class, but I just finished House of God, which was great.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    daystar143 wrote:
    I liked Wicked and Son of a Witch, but then again, I've been told my tastes in literature are unusual.

Right now, I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and I love it. Fortunately, other, more normal people like it, too, so I can recommend it without (much) worry.

i heard of it for the very first time today and it sounds VERY interesting.
  • Options
    crime and punishment.....still :(

my ONLY goal this summer is to finally finish brothers karamazov...
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Lazy butt.
    I'm reading Star Wars: The Last Command. I even make the lightsaber noises.

that book is awesome. it started a very long adolescent star wars obsession for me.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

my ONLY goal is to never read dostoyevsky again. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I'm afraid to read this book. I've started it three times and was actually enjoying it, and all three times there was some sort of cataclysm in my life that made me set it aside, and I wouldn't pick it up again for so long that I had to start over. So now I'm superstitious about reading it.

I had a similar experience with "One Hundred Years of Solitude," which I eventually DID finish, but given my current health situation I'm really leery of courting disaster, so I may never read this one.
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I just finished "Moneyball" by Michael Lewis

and started "Aphex Hides The Hurt" by Colson Whitehead
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

You won't regret it.
  • Options
    SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
    i've been on such a Nelson DeMille kick lately....

after reading all the John Corey books backwards, I have finally begun "Plum Island".... I do not think anything will top the "Lion's Game"
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'm afraid to read this book. I've started it three times and was actually enjoying it, and all three times there was some sort of cataclysm in my life that made me set it aside, and I wouldn't pick it up again for so long that I had to start over. So now I'm superstitious about reading it.

I had a similar experience with "One Hundred Years of Solitude," which I eventually DID finish, but given my current health situation I'm really leery of courting disaster, so I may never read this one.

that's a trip... i have the same story. ive started it at least 2-3 times and got a couple 100 pages in but for some reason something always came up and it fell away. 100 years of solitude is also on my book shelf for reading this summer, though im a bit intimidated as i hear it's pretty dense.

cate, you're nuts! crime and punishment changed my life... convinced me to major in literature, among other things.

byrnz, glad to hear it comes highly recommended. everyone i know who has read it said it is incredible.