Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Conversations on Consciousness by Susan Blackmore

The Astonishing Hypothesis by Francis Crick is in the mail.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    just finished Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, now reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I love his books. Im on a mission to read all of them.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Earthgirl wrote:
    just finished Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, now reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I love his books. Im on a mission to read all of them.

I'm the same way with Jon Krakauer. I just love his writing style. He could write a book about grass growing and it would be fascinating.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    I'm the same way with Jon Krakauer. I just love his writing style. He could write a book about grass growing and it would be fascinating.

same with Kurt, he could write about dirt and I would love it.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    "Hella" huh? When did you move to Northern Cali?? ;)
    We have been saying "hella" up here in the Pacific Northwest since the early to mid 80's!!! It is far from a new term up here. And no, it has nothing to do with northern California. :)
  • Options
    is that the Barry Bonds steroids book?
    Yep.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I read that last year when it came out. If you have any doubt Bonds is on steroids (not that anyone does anymore), this will convince you. Really well done and interesting to see behind the scenes.
    Yeah, I am stoked to start reading it. I hate Barry Bonds....and this will just cement that feeling more, I have a feeling.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yeah, I am stoked to start reading it. I hate Barry Bonds....and this will just cement that feeling more, I have a feeling.

It will. I also hate him and thought I had reached max levels of hate and reading this book made me hate him even more.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

recommended to me by someone on here :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what's welsh for zen? - john cale. his autobiography.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    J G Ballard - Empire of the sun
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Dear Boy: The Life Of Keith Moon

I read 'Moon the Loon' years ago. What's this one like?
  • Options
    I just bought Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman - it's going to be my next read once I finish Shantaram.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    I think the thing I like best about this book is the author portrays the Iraqis almost like they are real people with real emotions! :rolleyes:
    imagine that crazy spin. ;) seriously, though, sounds pretty unique and interesting.
  • Options
    Just started The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (sp?)
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Just started The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (sp?)

I've just read that one!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018

• Options
    I've just read that one!

Good?
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    rrivers wrote:
    Good?
    Its incredible. I didnt want to believe it, but she has written a better book than Bram SToker. There's so much to say about it however Im on my way out so I'll just advise you to make it the next book you read. Hope you do, you won't regret it.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    Its incredible. I didnt want to believe it, but she has written a better book than Bram SToker. There's so much to say about it however Im on my way out so I'll just advise you to make it the next book you read. Hope you do, you won't regret it.

Wow! That's a glowing review! I haven't read Dracula by Bram Stoker but I have it in my pile to read. I just started it yesterday and am only 16 pages in.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    A farewell to arms
    For whom the bell tolls
    -Hemingway

Má veselá jitra
    -Ivan Klíma
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Good?

I liked the story and the writing. It's really vividly written, and the characters are well-drawn.

I did find a big chunk in the middle a bit tedious though. If the story was a bit more tightened up the pace could have been a lot stronger. But that's just my opinion.

Hope you enjoy it!
    ---
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018

• Options
    4/9/07-lunes, day of the Moon-10:38 a.m.-p.s.t.---

currently i am browsing/reading, "god on your own...finding a Spiritual Path outside religion" and " The Skinny-how to fit into your little black dress forever---the eat-what-you-like way to loose and keep it off"...

food for thought...(smile).

peace-out.
    psychedelic1
  • Options
    I liked the story and the writing. It's really vividly written, and the characters are well-drawn.

I did find a big chunk in the middle a bit tedious though. If the story was a bit more tightened up the pace could have been a lot stronger. But that's just my opinion.

Hope you enjoy it!

I had read that it was boring. Hopefully I will enjoy it!
  • Options
    Earthgirl wrote:

A very enjoyable mission. I have been thinking about reading them all again.
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    Nine Stories - Salinger

does anyone know if or where i could get a (bootlegged) copy of 22 stories?
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    currently "Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister"....

I'm not loving it.... which sucks... because I also have "Wicked" in my to-read pile... :o :(
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    currently "Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister"....

I'm not loving it.... which sucks... because I also have "Wicked" in my to-read pile... :o :(
    I thought Wicked was disappointing, I didn't even finish it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Anyone read David Sedaris books? I haven't, but I'm on the verge. I hear it's totally laugh riot stuff, and it's good to have a healthy laugh every so often :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    hippiemom wrote:
    I thought Wicked was disappointing, I didn't even finish it.

yes, i can understand that....

with all the hype about the musical, etc... i thought Macguire's books were supposed to be great.....

turns out i really don't like his style, and the stories aren't even that interesting (so far)... and now i'm stuck with two of them! lol...
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Anyone read David Sedaris books? I haven't, but I'm on the verge. I hear it's totally laugh riot stuff, and it's good to have a healthy laugh every so often :)
    I LOVE David Sidaris. Laugh-out-loud funny ... don't read it on the bus or in a waiting room unless you don't mind everyone thinking you're crazy :D
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963