Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684

I enjoyed Revival -- ended a bit too promptly for me but I enjoyed what the ending was. Would like to see King wander into the weirdness of that ending and mess around there for a while.

Almost finished this on the plane Sunday, fascinating shit.

What's this one about? I enjoy some true crime books when they're well written.
    The author befriends a con artist who plays at being a Rockefeller. Over a number of years the author has a number of strange experiences with his subject and eventually, covers his murder trial and uncovers many of the falsehoods that were there for him all along.
    Much less about Crime and more about Class -- a real life study on how people can get ahead through simple things like name dropping and pretending to belong...and how many people around the upper class do not bother to push for more substance due to their 'longing to belong.'

Lots of reviews out there...makes me think of Gatsby, Mr Ripley, Six Degrees....all of which are referenced in the book and reviews.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    OK, now I'm familiar with the case. The author wrote an article about the "friendship" in the New Yorker. Yes, that sounds like a good one.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Just started reading "M Train," by Patti Smith. LOVED "Just Kids," so I have been looking forward to this new one. So far, it does not disappoint.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Just read:

Started this:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    edited October 2015
    Just finished reading this:

This is the third book in the series, after Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword. All three are character-driven space-opera; lots of space travel, a few battles, a smattering of aliens. I liked the first quite a lot; the second suffered from middle book syndrome (i.e. not enough happened), and the third was fantastic.

For anyone out there who followed the Hugo Awards controversy, this is one of the series that riled up the Sad Puppies/Sick Puppies, who basically want SciFi to go back to being for and about white men. The interesting thing about this series is that it involves a sort of post-human race that no longer sees gender as particularly noteworthy and seems to use a single pronoun to refer to other humans, which in these books is rendered as "she"; basically, all people are referred to as "she", rather than "he". I thought it was an interesting plot device and led to some fun speculation about who was actually female and who was actually male. However, it put the Puppies' panties in a knot.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Adding to the list, thanks Often! (I forget, did you read Old Man's War? Suggest if not, another different take on the space opera, although it sounds not as different as this)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Adding to the list, thanks Often! (I forget, did you read Old Man's War? Suggest if not, another different take on the space opera, although it sounds not as different as this)

I have not yet read it, F Me, although I keep intending to. Scalzi was at WorldCon when I was there in August.

I just read a bit about it on wikipedia - this line made me laugh:" After a week of frivolity and orgies in their new bodies....". Can see why it appeals to you :smiley:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Yes, indeed!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359

the man in the high castle - philip k. dick

an alternate view of the world when the axis powers win WWII.

I am reading this now.

Also Amazon Prime has a show based on it starting next month.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,582

I am reading this now.

One of his best..have you read VALIS??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Have not read The Man in the High Castle but will add to list.

Started the sequel on the plane yesterday to the one I just finished:
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    23scidoo said:

I am reading this now.

One of his best..have you read VALIS??
    I feel like everything Philip K Dick wrote is one of his best. I also thought that show was it already.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Finishing the series...
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    a warning
  • Options
    :lol: David, your warning from the mods was a book?
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I usually have a few books going at once. A history textbook for work, a mystery book for the treadmill, and a how-to book for one of my hobbies.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Scary stuff. What would a cyberattack do to the US and are we prepared (no). Has anybody here read One Second After?

• Options
    Oh shit, thanks Enkidu. Your recommendation is going to turn me into a hoarder, isn't it?
    Interesting what Koppel is doing with himself these days. Looks good.
  • Options

Oh shit, thanks Enkidu. Your recommendation is going to turn me into a hoarder, isn't it?
    Interesting what Koppel is doing with himself these days. Looks good.

A prepper, that's what you call them. The book is a little dry in places, but interesting. I think I'll invest in pepper spray and a taser. "Just in case."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hypnosis (2nd Ed.) by Roberta Temes, PhD.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I just finished reading One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
    Loved it so much I bought the film and love it too.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited November 2015
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,582
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    just finished:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

want !!!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    smarchee said:

just finished:

You might want to read this one now:

Well researched and well written, gives you the story in the context of the times.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

Just read:

I read this recently as well. Incredible story on part of WW2 that's not much written about, ie. the bases on Greenland and then plane crashes and rescue attempt in that atmosphere. It's a definitely a well recommend book.

If you like this, try Lost In Shangri-La by the author, if you have not
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options

smarchee said:

just finished:

Well researched and well written, gives you the story in the context of the times.
    Yes, WP is right. The Charles Manson book is pretty amazing. Helter Skelter is one of those books that gives you nightmares for a long, long time.
  • Options
    Enkidu said:

smarchee said:

just finished:

Yes, WP is right. The Charles Manson book is pretty amazing. Helter Skelter is one of those books that gives you nightmares for a long, long time.
    Helter Skelter was extremely shocking and did really give me some messed up dreams.
    I was about 70 pages left on Thursday night and thought I'll finish this Friday night but then when the Paris terrorism going on all night I was not in the right mood for more Manson

will check out that recommended book, thanks
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee said:

Just read:

I read this recently as well. Incredible story on part of WW2 that's not much written about, ie. the bases on Greenland and then plane crashes and rescue attempt in that atmosphere. It's a definitely a well recommend book.

If you like this, try Lost In Shangri-La by the author, if you have not
    Will take a look, thanks! (And agree about the interesting stuff I had never read about before.)