2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    great read

2014 is the 20th anniversary of the strike that killed baseball in Montreal, and the 10th anniversary of the team's move to Washington, DC. But the memories aren't dead--not by a long shot. The Expos pinwheel cap is still sported by Montrealers, former fans, and by many more in the US and Canada as a fashion item. Expos loyalists are still spotted at Blue Jays games and wherever the Washington Nationals play (often cheering against them). Every year there are rumours that Montreal--as North America's largest market without a baseball team--could host Major League Baseball again.
    There has never been a major English-language book on the entire franchise history. There also hasn't been a sportswriter as uniquely qualified to tell the whole story, and to make it appeal to baseball fans across Canada AND south of the border. Jonah Keri writes the chief baseball column for Grantland, and routinely makes appearances in Canadian media such as The Jeff Blair Show, Prime Time Sports and Off the Record. The author of the New York Times baseball bestseller The Extra 2% (Ballantine/ESPN Books), Keri is one of the new generation of high-profile sports writers equally facile with sabermetrics and traditional baseball reporting. He has interviewed everyone for this book (EVERYONE: including the ownership that allowed the team to be moved), and fans can expect to hear from just about every player and personality from the Expos' unforgettable 35 years in baseball.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    smarchee said:

dankind said:

Heartbreaking (so far).

how so?
    She's so sad and angry and brokenhearted. The book reads like a long therapy session, complete with psychological connections similar to those generally arrived at during analysis. For example, during one particularly devastating passage, she draws the line that connects the dots between her cold and removed stage persona and the fact that when she was a child, her brother tormented her for showing any emotions at all.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,727
    edited August 2015
    Read this:

Now on to this:
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    can you read well...
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,588
    Friday Night Lights
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    doesn't look like Smarchee goes in for a lot of "lite" reading :wink:

did you ever read Tweak? ohmygoddepressing.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    About to read Russel Brand's Revolution
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Going to go pick up the book TBU recommended to me ,right now. I look forward to some interesting reading, and follow up research. I'll let ya'll know how The Tiger reads.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Gustave Flaubert Salammbô. Outstanding!
    Carthage with a barbarian problem.
    Never read Madame Bovary but it is now on my list.
    Hold On
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Chief Joseph & the flight of the Nez Perce - Kent Nerburn
    Racing through the dark - David Millae
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    the orphan master's son (for the second time)
    a classic of modern literature.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I just finished reading Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast, the cartoonist/artist and it's wonderful. I did a blog post about it. http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/08/read-me-now.html

Now I'm reading this and - wow. Amazing.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,473
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:

I just finished reading Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast, the cartoonist/artist and it's wonderful. I did a blog post about it. http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/08/read-me-now.html

I've thought about reading Chast's book. I'll have to read your post about it. During the past year, dealing with my aging mother has become much more stressful.

I'm not sure I could read a book about Katrina. Several years ago I was a caseworker for people who had relocated to my area because of Katrina. Some of the most heartbreaking stories I've ever heard.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,473
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

Enkidu said:

I've thought about reading Chast's book. I'll have to read your post about it. During the past year, dealing with my aging mother has become much more stressful.

I'm not sure I could read a book about Katrina. Several years ago I was a caseworker for people who had relocated to my area because of Katrina. Some of the most heartbreaking stories I've ever heard.
    The Chast book is dark. And I cried. But it's really funny too. This Katrina book is mostly about the politics of what happens afterwards - it's such a clusterfuck and so frustrating. But very very interesting. Makes you hate politics (even more).

(Did I hear something about a new puppy...)
  • Options
    Just read A Painted House by John Grisham. I somehow made it this far in life as an avid reader and former manager of three bookstores without ever having read Grisham. Now I know that I was onto something.

Actually, the story was great -- and I imagine his other stories are great as well -- but he just has no style (at least not in this book). Content is only half the makings of a good book to me; the rest is style.

Grisham has remedial style.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Not a book, per se, but last week I went to Worldcon for the first time and had a blast!

For those who don't know, Worldcon, or the World Science Fiction Convention, is held yearly and moves around the world. Last year it was in London, this year it was in Spokane (lucky me). Went to a lot of readings and usually heard excerpts from things as yet unpublished. Met a lot of authors, some of them my favourites; had a morning stroll with Connie Willis and briefer chats with Robert Sawyer, Brandon Sanderson, Jo Walton, and Scott Lynch, and a quick hello with a very grumpy Robert Silverberg who apparently doesn't like e-books. I also attended a ton of interesting panel discussions and a plenary talk by the Vatican's chief astronomer (yes, they have an astronomer and he is an actual PhD). And finally, saw an absolute wack of costumes, some fun and some just weird.

If anyone else is thinking of attending a future Worldcon, I'd highly recommend it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,727

Not a book, per se, but last week I went to Worldcon for the first time and had a blast!

For those who don't know, Worldcon, or the World Science Fiction Convention, is held yearly and moves around the world. Last year it was in London, this year it was in Spokane (lucky me). Went to a lot of readings and usually heard excerpts from things as yet unpublished. Met a lot of authors, some of them my favourites; had a morning stroll with Connie Willis and briefer chats with Robert Sawyer, Brandon Sanderson, Jo Walton, and Scott Lynch, and a quick hello with a very grumpy Robert Silverberg who apparently doesn't like e-books. I also attended a ton of interesting panel discussions and a plenary talk by the Vatican's chief astronomer (yes, they have an astronomer and he is an actual PhD). And finally, saw an absolute wack of costumes, some fun and some just weird.

If anyone else is thinking of attending a future Worldcon, I'd highly recommend it.

This is awesome. I was reading about it and the battles regarding the Hugos on GRRM's website leading up to Worldcon.
    Love Dooms Day Book & Connie Willis....Brandon Sanderson is great...and Scott Lynch is also one of my favorites. Neat that you got to meat them all.
    Have never read the others you met but glad you had fun!

Stalled in reading right now. Working very long hours and playing long hours, no time made! Need to change that
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

This is awesome. I was reading about it and the battles regarding the Hugos on GRRM's website leading up to Worldcon.
    Love Dooms Day Book & Connie Willis....Brandon Sanderson is great...and Scott Lynch is also one of my favorites. Neat that you got to meat them all.
    Have never read the others you met but glad you had fun!

Stalled in reading right now. Working very long hours and playing long hours, no time made! Need to change that
    Ah yes, the Hugo controversies. The sad puppies/rabid puppies caused lots of commotion ahead of time but virtually none at Worldcon itself. They spun the "no award" thing as a win but I see it as a resounding rejection of their platform (if you can call it that). I haven't read the novel winner Three Body Problem, but I intend to soon.

F Me, if you like the others I mentioned then look up Robert J. Sawyer as I think you'd like him. The Wake, Watch and Wonder series (that's three different books) is great. He's got a bunch of other good ones but that would be a good intro to his work. Silverberg is one of the grand daddies of SciFi; he's been writing since the '50s. Jo Walton kind of burst onto the scene with her book Among Others a few years back, although she'd been writing and publishing a long time before that. In my opinion, it's her best novel.

Lynch has another Gentleman Bastards book in development that he read from and it's sounding good. Sanderson is, of course, always publishing; he's juggling several on the go.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ^^
    Thanks@ Will add Sawyer to the list and love to hear that Locke will be back again, love the Bastards.
    Glad to hear the puppies should go away now. Poor GRRM was so consumed by it the sob probably lost a month on his latest book.
  • Options
    just got done with this. about much more than football.

now, I'm reading this:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JogillJogill Posts: 4,549
    The final detail - Harlan Coben
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • Options
    imalive said:

just got done with this. about much more than football.

now, I'm reading this:

Did you really just read Friday Night Lights for the first time? It's amazing - it was the book I gave to everybody after I read it. Did you see the update on everyone in SI? It's very cool. And sad.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635
    Back to this masterpiece..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..