Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,727
    23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker

Please let us know what you thought, I am a big fan of Barker's early stuff. (The Great & Secret Show is a book I re-read every year or two; one of my all time favorites...) I am a bit skeptical of this one but if you have a good report I will snap it up!
    The Great and Secret show is a great book, but after all this years, Weaveworld is still my fav..
    The Scarlet Gospels is sequel to Hellraiser..so you know the motif..i have read about 120 pages so far and this is classic Barker for me..hope i help you..
    have you read the Abarat series??
    Loved Weaveworld as well but just the awesome/bizzare scope of TG&SS makes it one of my favorites. Have read it 10x at least and every time I find that I forgot some of the crazy details he imagined.
    Yes, I will add it to my list, thanks!

No, I did not read Abarat, that was young adult and I prefer his "sick & twisted fuck" stories. :lol:
    What you think about his ''sick and twisted fuck'' paintings??..there is a great book called ''Visions of Heaven and Hell''..very sick..haha..
    I like some of them and some of them are beyond me. I have great respect for his whacked out mind and how we can come up with this stuff.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Just finished the new Stephen King. Liked it, didn't knock me out of my socks.

And this is my new book blog - if you haven't seen this movie from 1979, check it out. It's really good. I didn't know it was from a book. Time After Time.

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/06/who-knew-there-was-book.html
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,727
    Enkidu said:

Just finished the new Stephen King. Liked it, didn't knock me out of my socks.

And this is my new book blog - if you haven't seen this movie from 1979, check it out. It's really good. I didn't know it was from a book. Time After Time.

http://mybookclubforone.blogspot.com/2015/06/who-knew-there-was-book.html

Which new King? Seems every time I look up he has a new one out....Finders Keepers? I read Mr Merc so figure to give this one whirl too.

Added Time after Time to my list. Sucker for time travel.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Time After Time (the novel) isn't as good as Time and Again (which I think is brilliant). But the idea is so great - H. G. Wells chasing Jack the Ripper in the future (1979 San Francisco).

The King is Finders Keepers, sort of a sequel to Mr. Mercedes.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

Chick lit, didn't really think it was going to be, based on the description...it was a decent read.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

Ministry is a memoir both ugly and captivating, revealing Al Jourgensen as a man who lived a hard life his own way without making compromises. He survived prolonged drug addiction—twenty-two years of chronic heroin, cocaine, and alcohol abuse, to be more precise—before cleaning up, straightening out, and finding new reasons to live.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    smarchee said:

Ministry is a memoir both ugly and captivating, revealing Al Jourgensen as a man who lived a hard life his own way without making compromises. He survived prolonged drug addiction—twenty-two years of chronic heroin, cocaine, and alcohol abuse, to be more precise—before cleaning up, straightening out, and finding new reasons to live.

Scariest, bloodiest pit I've ever seen, and I've been to several Slayer (and other thrash metal/hardcore) shows.

Is there a chapter on Lard? Any good stuff on my former neighbor Gibby Haynes?

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Magnus Chase comes out in October and I'm both irritated and super excited. Why they insist on releasing these books in October (right around midterm season) is so fucking far beyond me. They're meant for kids!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited June 2015
    Just finished Jeffrey Deavers "Solitude Creek" (A Katherine Dance novel)and Randy Wayne Whites "Cuba Straits"(A Doc Ford Novel).
    I love Doc Ford as a character.If you haven't looked into this series by RWW your missing out.Ford is a 40 something kinda nerdy Marine Biologist in Sanabel Island Fl,who just so happens to be a former Black ops guy for the CIA.He pals around with a pot head hippie named Tomlinson who lives at a marina and lives like a pauper on a sail boat but has millions of family money.Give the series a go.bery entertaining.
    Just started a JohnSanford Virgil Flowers story.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Just finished Jeffrey Deavers "Solitude Creek" (A Katherine Dance novel)and Randy Wayne Whites "Cuba Straits"(A Doc Ford Novel).
    I love Doc Ford as a character.If you haven't looked into this series by RWW your missing out.Ford is a 40 something kinda nerdy Marine Biologist in Sanabel Island Fl,who just so happens to be a former Black ops guy for the CIA.He pals around with a pot head hippie named Tomlinson who lives at a marina and lives like a pauper on a sail boat but has millions of family money.Give the series a go.bery entertaining.
    Just started a JohnSanford Virgil Flowers story.

RWW's Doc Ford books are fun, but I've gotta go with Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms books FTW on my Florida trash reads. Wacko awesome.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

smarchee said:

Scariest, bloodiest pit I've ever seen, and I've been to several Slayer (and other thrash metal/hardcore) shows.

there is stuff about Lard and there is lots of stories about Gibby Haynes, holy fuck, blown away with that book, definitely worth a read
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee said:

dankind said:

smarchee said:

there is stuff about Lard and there is lots of stories about Gibby Haynes, holy fuck, blown away with that book, definitely worth a read
    I stood behind Gibby Haynes in a line for pony rides for our kids at a block party last year. It was surreal, considering the fact that I'd seen the man perform nekkid. Good times then, good times now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It is quite the tome, only about 200 pages in, but really enjoying it.

Amazon book review:
    "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

So begins this epic, mesmerizing first novel set in the underworld of contemporary Bombay. Shantaram is narrated by Lin, an escaped convict with a false passport who flees maximum security prison in Australia for the teeming streets of a city where he can disappear.

Accompanied by his guide and faithful friend, Prabaker, the two enter Bombay's hidden society of beggars and gangsters, prostitutes and holy men, soldiers and actors, and Indians and exiles from other countries, who seek in this remarkable place what they cannot find elsewhere.

As a hunted man without a home, family, or identity, Lin searches for love and meaning while running a clinic in one of the city's poorest slums, and serving his apprenticeship in the dark arts of the Bombay mafia. The search leads him to war, prison torture, murder, and a series of enigmatic and bloody betrayals. The keys to unlock the mysteries and intrigues that bind Lin are held by two people. The first is Khader Khan: mafia godfather, criminal-philosopher-saint, and mentor to Lin in the underworld of the Golden City. The second is Karla: elusive, dangerous, and beautiful, whose passions are driven by secrets that torment her and yet give her a terrible power.

Burning slums and five-star hotels, romantic love and prison agonies, criminal wars and Bollywood films, spiritual gurus and mujaheddin guerrillas---this huge novel has the world of human experience in its reach, and a passionate love for India at its heart. Based on the life of the author, it is by any measure the debut of an extraordinary voice in literature.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    jlaustin said:

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It is quite the tome, only about 200 pages in, but really enjoying it.

Amazon book review:
    "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

So begins this epic, mesmerizing first novel set in the underworld of contemporary Bombay. Shantaram is narrated by Lin, an escaped convict with a false passport who flees maximum security prison in Australia for the teeming streets of a city where he can disappear.

Accompanied by his guide and faithful friend, Prabaker, the two enter Bombay's hidden society of beggars and gangsters, prostitutes and holy men, soldiers and actors, and Indians and exiles from other countries, who seek in this remarkable place what they cannot find elsewhere.

As a hunted man without a home, family, or identity, Lin searches for love and meaning while running a clinic in one of the city's poorest slums, and serving his apprenticeship in the dark arts of the Bombay mafia. The search leads him to war, prison torture, murder, and a series of enigmatic and bloody betrayals. The keys to unlock the mysteries and intrigues that bind Lin are held by two people. The first is Khader Khan: mafia godfather, criminal-philosopher-saint, and mentor to Lin in the underworld of the Golden City. The second is Karla: elusive, dangerous, and beautiful, whose passions are driven by secrets that torment her and yet give her a terrible power.

Burning slums and five-star hotels, romantic love and prison agonies, criminal wars and Bollywood films, spiritual gurus and mujaheddin guerrillas---this huge novel has the world of human experience in its reach, and a passionate love for India at its heart. Based on the life of the author, it is by any measure the debut of an extraordinary voice in literature.

on my list!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,617
    Game of Thrones
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    MayDay10 said:

Game of Thrones

DOOOON'T!
    Okay, read them. They literally reinvented fantasy and made it readable for a 40 yr old man. The fourth book is one of the best books I have ever read. The sixth? well...........
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

Please let us know what you thought, I am a big fan of Barker's early stuff. (The Great & Secret Show is a book I re-read every year or two; one of my all time favorites...) I am a bit skeptical of this one but if you have a good report I will snap it up!
    The Great and Secret show is a great book, but after all this years, Weaveworld is still my fav..
    The Scarlet Gospels is sequel to Hellraiser..so you know the motif..i have read about 120 pages so far and this is classic Barker for me..hope i help you..
    Loved Weaveworld as well but just the awesome/bizzare scope of TG&SS makes it one of my favorites. Have read it 10x at least and every time I find that I forgot some of the crazy details he imagined.

No, I did not read Abarat, that was young adult and I prefer his "sick & twisted fuck" stories. :lol:
    Weaveworld was the first Barker book I read, but not the best.

Have you read, The Damnation Game? Excellent book.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    One Kick by Chelsea Cain. Very action packed so far . . . .
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

Excellent..how about, Imajica??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Imajica & Damnation Game, both of them. Very good books -- Still couldn't touch The Great & Secret Show in my opinion.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

Have not read. You say I should?
  • Options

Imajica & Damnation Game, both of them. Very good books -- Still couldn't touch The Great & Secret Show in my opinion.

Thanks for these suggestions.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I first read it twenty-five years ago. I still appreciate it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Black-Jacobins-Louverture-Revolution/dp/0140299815
  • Options

Back in his broken hometown, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Charlie LeDuff searches through the ruins for clues to its fate, his family’s, and his own. Detroit is where his mother’s flower shop was firebombed in the pre-Halloween orgy of arson known as Devil’s Night; where his sister lost herself to the west side streets; where his brother, who once sold subprime mortgages with skill and silk, now works in a factory cleaning Chinese-manufactured screws so they can be repackaged as “May Be Made in United States.”

Having led us on the way up, Detroit now seems to be leading us on the way down. Once the richest city in America, Detroit is now the nation’s poorest. Once the vanguard of America’s machine age—mass production, blue-collar jobs, and automobiles—Detroit is now America’s capital for unemployment, illiteracy, dropouts, and foreclosures. It is an eerie and angry place of deserted factories and abandoned homes and forgotten people. Trees and switchgrass and wild animals have come back to reclaim their right¬ful places. Coyotes are here. The pigeons have left. A city the size of San Francisco and Manhattan could neatly fit into Detroit’s vacant lots. After revealing that the city’s murder rate is higher than the official police number—making it the highest in the country—a weary old detective tells LeDuff, “In this city two plus two equals three.”
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    ^^^^
    Saw this at the bookstore and almost picked it up. I'd love to hear what you think of it.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    jlaustin said:

^^^^
    Saw this at the bookstore and almost picked it up. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

My interest is definitely tweaked as well.
  • Options
    fantastic book, definitely worth the read, he is a great writer and he talks about the history of the city, its importance to America then and now and involves himself and writes about the city government, the police force and the firefighters. Sad and poignant though, I would high recommend it, I really enjoyed it and read it very quick
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,635

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

Have not read. You say I should?
    IMO..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Breezing right though Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography. This guy has led one HELL of a life...can't put down the book. Enthralling! Gonna be sad when it's over.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options

Heartbreaking (so far).