Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Just finished Laura LIppman's "What the Dead Know".... While it was cool that it was based in Baltimore and I am familiar with some of the areas she wrote about, the story just did not capture me to where I couldn't put it down. It had a good plot, but I didn't care much for all the jumping around between time and characters. There were times where I had to remember who a certain character was. Either I wasn't in a solid reading mode or the author just failed to keep my attention.

I started Michael Connelly's "The Brass Verdict" this morning... he is one author that captivates my attention from page one.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    51KRX23SE2L.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    smarchee wrote:
    51KRX23SE2L.jpg

I loved that book! Great choice ;)
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    smarchee wrote:
    51KRX23SE2L.jpg
    I have tons of books I have stacked up waiting to be read this summer. Hopefully I finish those and can pick this book up.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Carey wrote:
    smarchee wrote:
    51KRX23SE2L.jpg

I loved that book! Great choice ;)

cool, a friend gave it to me years ago, forgot about it, dug it out and am going to be enjoy this
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Trying to psych myself up to read The Book Thief but I just can't find the motivation. Probably because I have to read it and not just because I want to! Although, I am also reading Blue Eyed Child of Fortune which is a collection of letters from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw (the guy from Glory if you've seen that movie). I highly recommend it!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    riotgrl wrote:
    Trying to psych myself up to read The Book Thief but I just can't find the motivation. Probably because I have to read it and not just because I want to! Although, I am also reading Blue Eyed Child of Fortune which is a collection of letters from Colonel Robert Gould Shaw (the guy from Glory if you've seen that movie). I highly recommend it!

I very much enjoyed The Book Thief a while ago, so just maybe, you will too! :D
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    riotgrl wrote:

I have that on my stack, but I keep avoiding it because of the Nazi angle. Too depressing for me right now.

I'm reading World War Z right now and not really enjoying it. I shouldn't have picked it up because I am way over the zombie thing, but I saw it was an oral history so I thought it would be a quick read and I'm in a contest to see who can read the most books in a year with my wife. Unfortunately, it's not an oral history like I was expecting.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    gunter1976 wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

I very much enjoyed The Book Thief a while ago, so just maybe, you will too! :D

I've heard it's really good but I'm just not in the mood to be depressed :(

I AM MINE
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

I have that on my stack, but I keep avoiding it because of the Nazi angle. Too depressing for me right now.

I'm reading World War Z right now and not really enjoying it. I shouldn't have picked it up because I am way over the zombie thing, but I saw it was an oral history so I thought it would be a quick read and I'm in a contest to see who can read the most books in a year with my wife. Unfortunately, it's not an oral history like I was expecting.

Did you read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter? It was decent and I've heard they've made it into a movie. Not sure I see that being a hit.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

Did you read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter? It was decent and I've heard they've made it into a movie. Not sure I see that being a hit.

No, I haven't. I don't see it being a hit either, sounds really dumb to me.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rrivers wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

its a tim burton film. either youre a fan of his or youre not. tho i am a fan and his planet of the apes stilll has me wondering... and dont even get me started on his batman.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    anyone reading 50 shades of grey? lol... prolly not!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

its a tim burton film. either youre a fan of his or youre not. tho i am a fan and his planet of the apes stilll has me wondering... and dont even get me started on his batman.

Nah, not really a fan. I think he's all style over substance. I have liked a few of his movies, notably "Nightmare before Christmas" and I liked his Batman. I assume you didn't?
  • Options
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was AWESOME!! And the movie was filmed here in New Orleans. I can't wait because I think it'll be awesome.
    But currently, I'm reading a collection of Kurt Vonnegut's previously unpublished short fiction - While Mortals Sleep.
  • Options
    csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147

I read it! Oh my!! A guilty pleasure to be sure. :)
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Trespassers on the Roof of the World: The Secret Exploration of Tibet - Peter Hopkirk

TBT08.jpg

For nineteenth-century adventures, Tibet was the prize destination, and Lhasa, its capital situated nearly three miles above sea level, was the grandest trophy of all. The lure of this mysterious land, and its strategic importance, made it inevitable that despite the Tibetans' reluctance to end their isolation, determined travelers from Victorian Britain, Czarist Russia, America, and a half dozen other countries world try to breach the country's high walls.

In this riveting narrative, Peter Hopkirk turns his storytelling skills on the fortune hunters, mystics, mountaineers, and missionaries who tried storming the roof of the world. He also examines how China sought to maintain a presence in Tibet, so that whenever the Great Game ended, Chinese influence would reign supreme. This presence culminated in the Chinese invasion of Tibet in the 1950s, and in a brief afterword, Hopkirk updates his compelling account of "the gatecrashers of Tibet" with a discussion of Tibet today-as a property still claimed and annexed by the Chinese.
  • Options
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was AWESOME!! And the movie was filmed here in New Orleans. I can't wait because I think it'll be awesome.
    But currently, I'm reading a collection of Kurt Vonnegut's previously unpublished short fiction - While Mortals Sleep.

It just sounds like a dumb idea to me. Who knows maybe I'll end up liking it but I doubt I will even give it a chance with Tim Burton directing.

Where do you live in New Orleans? I grew up in Gretna, but live in CA now. I miss it a lot!
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Dead Air - Iain Banks
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Catherine the Great by Robert Massie
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Aga81Aga81 Posts: 808
    now: PJ20 book, Interview with the vampire, The Tale of the Body Thief and one book abt White House :) - think it's quite enough :lol:
    Some may ask, "Why act now? Why not wait? - The answer is clear. The world could wait no longer

04.07.2012 ~ Berlin
    31.07.2012 ~ London
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true, examples are Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks...quiet, reserved people that made huge advances. The loud outgoing people actually are less smart than the quiet reserved people. The reason we don't listen to the quiet people is because they are afraid to speak up, or are bowled over by the loud talkers who are too busy yapping away to listen to others' ideas.

Also, the theory that 'open' work areas foster more productive employees is hugely false. People actually work better when they can work alone, in solitude; working in groups or open areas actually fosters anger, resentment, and counter-productive work habits.

Yes, I hate cubical farms. :lol:
    I do too. Love being with people but like working alone (so to speak)
    This book sounds really interesting, & I can totally see that. I'm thinking about a few people I know in particular, one was a former friend who stole money from me. Does it help with insight & understanding? Will you look at loud-mouth, in-your-face people any differently do you think? I believe I must read.

It is pretty much about 'why we should value introverts' but so far, nothing FOR introverts on 'how to cope'. I already figured out most of what the book talks about (I'm really observational). I hated working in groups in school, I would do my assignment, be done before the rest of the group and get a better grade then they would (well, since they wouldn't listen to my reasoning). Currently, I just have the subtle 'ha-ha' in my head knowing when an extrovert is spewing garbage I know that they are basically trying to make up for their incompetencies. Maybe I feel a tad sorry for them in the fact that they are too busy talking to actually slow down and listen, they could learn a lot by listening to others.

Introverts actually make better leaders, they take the time to listen to everybody, study the facts and implement, they will take the time to foster peoples' ideas. I see Eddie Vedder as being an introvert, same with Jeff Ament.

I was looking into getting this book, but being an introvert, I feel I don't need a writer to tell me what I already know! :lol: It does look like a good read though, I always felt that extroverts are so focused on talking that they don't hear a word any one else says. I agree about Eddie and Jeff, too.
  • Options
    I was having trouble getting through "World War Z" so I downloaded "The Hobbit" to my Nook and have been loving it!

I have never read Tolkien, always thinking it was kind of hard to read, based on what others have told me. But I am loving "The Hobbit" so far!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    rrivers wrote:
    I was having trouble getting through "World War Z" so I downloaded "The Hobbit" to my Nook and have been loving it!

I have never read Tolkien, always thinking it was kind of hard to read, based on what others have told me. But I am loving "The Hobbit" so far!
    The Hobbit is a lot of fun. The Lord of the Rings is more serious but still has its lighter moments. I think LOTR may appear a difficult read if you judge it by the obsessive fans! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    I just started reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. The first chapter has already dragged me in! It's a pretty exciting book and cannot wait to see the movie!
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

The Hobbit is a lot of fun. The Lord of the Rings is more serious but still has its lighter moments. I think LOTR may appear a difficult read if you judge it by the obsessive fans! :lol:

I agree, The Hobbit was a lot more entertaining to read, I couldn't even finish reading The Two Towers. It's just so long and slow and drawn out. Hobbit has more excitement to the story.
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

It just sounds like a dumb idea to me. Who knows maybe I'll end up liking it but I doubt I will even give it a chance with Tim Burton directing.

Where do you live in New Orleans? I grew up in Gretna, but live in CA now. I miss it a lot!

Tim Burton isn't directing the movie, he's a producer on it. :) It's directed by Timur Bekmambetov who also did WANTED. Which was visually fun to watch :D Kind of a stupid story but still fun!
  • Options
    csblake111 wrote:

I read it! Oh my!! A guilty pleasure to be sure. :)

AH! That's another book i'm reading right now! Can't wait to get into it :mrgreen:
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Nah, not really a fan. I think he's all style over substance. I have liked a few of his movies, notably "Nightmare before Christmas" and I liked his Batman. I assume you didn't?

Nightmare Before Christmas wasn't directed by Burton either..but it was written by him! Still a super great film.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

I agree, The Hobbit was a lot more entertaining to read, I couldn't even finish reading The Two Towers. It's just so long and slow and drawn out. Hobbit has more excitement to the story.
    The Two Towers is the least interesting of the books. A lot of stuff happens but when it's over all I really remember is the Riders of Rohan.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."