Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I haven't read anything in awhile (I go on spurts with reading). Was however thinking of starting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series and or The Hunger Games series as well. I enjoyed both movies and heard the books are decent.

Very different reads.
    I enjoyed both but one is light and quick (Hunger Games) and the other is serious and while page turning, will take a bit more time to get through. (Dragon)
    If I could only have read one of those series it would have to be Dragon. At times mysterious, pulse pounding, disgusting and rewarding - most things you could ask for in a read.
    Enjoy them both!
    I've read both the Dragon Tattoo and Played with Fire, and finally got around to checking out Kicked the Hornets Nest. Enjoyed the first two a lot and looking forward to tackling the third this weekend.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    Think I will go with Winter Dreams, by F. S. Fitzgerald
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    The End of War, John Horgan
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    Recently finished Timeless (last book in the Parasol Protectorate series) and Discount Armageddon (1st book of InCryptid series), now on to Book 29 of the In Death series before I get on to A Dance with Dragons.
    Somehow, 90% of what I read is from various series.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/youthfulzombie
    Vancouver May 04-24
    Vancouver Dec 04-13, Seattle Dec 06-2013
    Vancouver Sep 25-11, Vancouver Sep 25-09, Vancouver Sep 02-05, Vancouver May 30-03, Vancouver Jul 19-98, Vancouver Sep 04-93

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Recently finished Timeless (last book in the Parasol Protectorate series) and Discount Armageddon (1st book of InCryptid series), now on to Book 29 of the In Death series before I get on to A Dance with Dragons.
    Somehow, 90% of what I read is from various series.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/youthfulzombie
    I'm on librarything too. Great way to keep track of your to-read list.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I'm on librarything too. Great way to keep track of your to-read list.

yeah but I'm OCD about it, I have every book I've read since about 1998 listed and tracked in order, in my senile moments I have to check Librarything to see if I already own/have read something.
    Vancouver May 04-24
    Vancouver Dec 04-13, Seattle Dec 06-2013
    Vancouver Sep 25-11, Vancouver Sep 25-09, Vancouver Sep 02-05, Vancouver May 30-03, Vancouver Jul 19-98, Vancouver Sep 04-93

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Just finished up The Case of the Frozen Addicts. Next up..World War Z.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    The Rape of Nanking - Iris Chang

392140-M.jpg

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II is a bestselling 1997 non-fiction book written by Iris Chang about the 1937–1938 Nanking Massacre, the massacre and atrocities committed by the Imperial Japanese Army after it captured Nanjing, then capital of China, during the Second Sino-Japanese War. It describes the events leading up to the Nanking Massacre and the atrocities that were committed. The book presents the view that the Japanese government has not done enough to redress the atrocities. It is one of the first major English-language books to introduce the Nanking Massacre to Western and Eastern readers alike, and has been translated into several languages.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

392140-M.jpg

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II is a bestselling 1997 non-fiction book written by Iris Chang about the 1937–1938 Nanking Massacre, the massacre and atrocities committed by the Imperial Japanese Army after it captured Nanjing, then capital of China, during the Second Sino-Japanese War. It describes the events leading up to the Nanking Massacre and the atrocities that were committed. The book presents the view that the Japanese government has not done enough to redress the atrocities. It is one of the first major English-language books to introduce the Nanking Massacre to Western and Eastern readers alike, and has been translated into several languages.
    I read that a few years ago. Brutal and appalling.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice. She is very talented and always hoped that someone would do something good about the wolf mythology as nobody in Hollywood seems to know how to handle it. I'm a hundred pages in and love it so far.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

392140-M.jpg

I read that a few years ago. Brutal and appalling.

I visited the massacre memorial in Nanjing last week. Not sure why I never got around to reading this book before.
    I remember reading a bit about this when I was younger in a book about possession, of all things.
  • Options
    Just finished In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson. A cast of characters that would be far-fetched if this were fiction.
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Sawyer wrote:
    Hunger Games.....it rules
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Roomcover-2.jpg

"Room" by Emma Donoghue.

My aunt recommended it. She said she hadn't been so emotionally affected by a book in years. I'm seventy pages in, and I can see why!
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    vant0037 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Not reading these now, but today, my favorite English professor from school said he was downsizing his book collection at home and gave me these three Jack Kerouac books:

Tristessa
    Doctor Sax
    The Subterraneans

He knows I have a huge interest in Kerouac. I can't wait for the semester to be over and dig into these books. I also have a couple of his poetry books that I'm also looking forward to reading.

Doctor Sax is awesome! Some fantastic passages in that one...

Three of favorites! Enjoy!
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    The Project Management Body of Knowledge... :? :yawn:
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    vant0037 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Not reading these now, but today, my favorite English professor from school said he was downsizing his book collection at home and gave me these three Jack Kerouac books:

Tristessa
    Doctor Sax
    The Subterraneans

He knows I have a huge interest in Kerouac. I can't wait for the semester to be over and dig into these books. I also have a couple of his poetry books that I'm also looking forward to reading.

Doctor Sax is awesome! Some fantastic passages in that one...

Three of favorites! Enjoy!
    Thank you to both of you!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    pinokio and 3 pigs today.. :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Public Enemies - Dueling Writers Take on Each Other and the World

Bernard-Henri Lévy & Michel Houellebecq

Public-Enemies_big.jpg

The international publishing sensation - two brilliant, controversial authors confront each other and their enemies in an unforgettable exchange of letters.

In one corner, Bernard-Henri Lévy, creator of the classic Barbarism with a Human Face, dismissed by the media as a wealthy, self-promoting, arrogant do-gooder. In the other, Michel Houellebecq, bestselling author of The Elementary Particles, widely derided as a sex-obsessed racist and misogynist. What began as a secret correspondence between bitter enemies evolved into a remarkable joint personal meditation by France’s premier literary and political live wires. An instant international bestseller, Public Enemies has now been translated into English for all lovers of superb insights, scandalous opinions, and iconoclastic ideas.

In wicked, wide-ranging, and freewheeling letters, the two self-described “whipping boys” debate whether they crave disgrace or secretly have an insane desire to please. Lévy extols heroism in the face of tyranny; Houellebecq sees himself as one who would “fight little and badly.” Lévy says “life does not ‘live’” unless he can write; Houellebecq bemoans work as leaving him in such “a state of nervous exhaustion that it takes several bottles of alcohol to get out.” There are also touching and intimate exchanges on the existence of God and about their own families.

Dazzling, delightful, and provocative, Public Enemies is a death match between literary lions, remarkable men who find common ground, confident that, in the end (as Lévy puts it), “it is we who will come out on top.”
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    oona left wrote:
    Roomcover-2.jpg

"Room" by Emma Donoghue.

My aunt recommended it. She said she hadn't been so emotionally affected by a book in years. I'm seventy pages in, and I can see why!

When I first heard about that book, I was very interested in getting it. I asked for it for Christmas but didn't get it (stupid Santa!). As time has gone by, I have become less and less interested in reading it just because it seems so heavy. I wonder if I will ever get around to it now.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Autumn: The City, by David Moody

• Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    rrivers wrote:
    oona left wrote:
    Roomcover-2.jpg

"Room" by Emma Donoghue.

When I first heard about that book, I was very interested in getting it. I asked for it for Christmas but didn't get it (stupid Santa!). As time has gone by, I have become less and less interested in reading it just because it seems so heavy. I wonder if I will ever get around to it now.

If it makes any difference to you, it's a rather quick read.

Yes, the subject matter is heavy, but being that it's fiction, it's kind of a relief compared to the heaviness of REAL things happening to US :)

I'm half way through, and it isn't as haunting as I feared it would be. Maybe I'm heartless after all :lol:
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Nastasja wrote:
    The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty

Nice! I have this..but haven't read it yet...i have a looong book list :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true, examples are Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks...quiet, reserved people that made huge advances. The loud outgoing people actually are less smart than the quiet reserved people. The reason we don't listen to the quiet people is because they are afraid to speak up, or are bowled over by the loud talkers who are too busy yapping away to listen to others' ideas.

Also, the theory that 'open' work areas foster more productive employees is hugely false. People actually work better when they can work alone, in solitude; working in groups or open areas actually fosters anger, resentment, and counter-productive work habits.

Yes, I hate cubical farms. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    RKCNDY wrote:

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true, examples are Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks...quiet, reserved people that made huge advances. The loud outgoing people actually are less smart than the quiet reserved people. The reason we don't listen to the quiet people is because they are afraid to speak up, or are bowled over by the loud talkers who are too busy yapping away to listen to others' ideas.

Also, the theory that 'open' work areas foster more productive employees is hugely false. People actually work better when they can work alone, in solitude; working in groups or open areas actually fosters anger, resentment, and counter-productive work habits.

I do too. Love being with people but like working alone (so to speak)
    This book sounds really interesting, & I can totally see that. I'm thinking about a few people I know in particular, one was a former friend who stole money from me. Does it help with insight & understanding? Will you look at loud-mouth, in-your-face people any differently do you think? I believe I must read.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

I do too. Love being with people but like working alone (so to speak)
    This book sounds really interesting, & I can totally see that. I'm thinking about a few people I know in particular, one was a former friend who stole money from me. Does it help with insight & understanding? Will you look at loud-mouth, in-your-face people any differently do you think? I believe I must read.

It is pretty much about 'why we should value introverts' but so far, nothing FOR introverts on 'how to cope'. I already figured out most of what the book talks about (I'm really observational). I hated working in groups in school, I would do my assignment, be done before the rest of the group and get a better grade then they would (well, since they wouldn't listen to my reasoning). Currently, I just have the subtle 'ha-ha' in my head knowing when an extrovert is spewing garbage I know that they are basically trying to make up for their incompetencies. Maybe I feel a tad sorry for them in the fact that they are too busy talking to actually slow down and listen, they could learn a lot by listening to others.

Introverts actually make better leaders, they take the time to listen to everybody, study the facts and implement, they will take the time to foster peoples' ideas. I see Eddie Vedder as being an introvert, same with Jeff Ament.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    RKCNDY wrote:
    It is pretty much about 'why we should value introverts' but so far, nothing FOR introverts on 'how to cope'. I already figured out most of what the book talks about (I'm really observational). I hated working in groups in school, I would do my assignment, be done before the rest of the group and get a better grade then they would (well, since they wouldn't listen to my reasoning). Currently, I just have the subtle 'ha-ha' in my head knowing when an extrovert is spewing garbage I know that they are basically trying to make up for their incompetencies. Maybe I feel a tad sorry for them in the fact that they are too busy talking to actually slow down and listen, they could learn a lot by listening to others.

Introverts actually make better leaders, they take the time to listen to everybody, study the facts and implement, they will take the time to foster peoples' ideas. I see Eddie Vedder as being an introvert, same with Jeff Ament.
    Excellent, I am going to listen to your reasoning ;) & read this book. Do you think it possible to have a happy medium? An extroverted introvert? Hmmm...Sounds fascinating, thanks. And I agree with you on Jeff & Ed.
  • Options
    csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    rrivers wrote:
    oona left wrote:
    Roomcover-2.jpg

"Room" by Emma Donoghue.

It's a heavy subject, but not heavy reading. I thought it was really well done, and there was a lot of child-like joy and hope in it. Give it a try. :)

Oh, and I just finished reading 11/22/63...very long, but interesting.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Right now it's Pearl Jam - Place/Date. Shouldn't take too long.