Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    rrivers wrote:
    I was having trouble getting through "World War Z" so I downloaded "The Hobbit" to my Nook and have been loving it!

I have never read Tolkien, always thinking it was kind of hard to read, based on what others have told me. But I am loving "The Hobbit" so far!
    The Hobbit is a lot of fun. The Lord of the Rings is more serious but still has its lighter moments. I think LOTR may appear a difficult read if you judge it by the obsessive fans! :lol:

I agree, The Hobbit was a lot more entertaining to read, I couldn't even finish reading The Two Towers. It's just so long and slow and drawn out. Hobbit has more excitement to the story.

Yeah I was surprised by how fun "The Hobbit" is to read. I think I have tried to pick it up and few times and not being able to get into it, but this time it sucked me right in. I'm bummed to hear that about the rest of the series, I'm planning on going right through it all. Reading it on the nook might make it easier for me because I think I tend to read things faster on their rather than reading a real book.

I will have to take a break though because I am going to read Stephen King's new book, "The Wind through the Keyhole" when it comes out next week.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    The Plague of Fantasies - Slavoj Zizek
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    I just finished Charles Dickens' "David Copperfield." It seems to me that I always say to myself, after finishing a book, “wow, that was really good.” That may be because I have a good sense of what I will and will not enjoy (and so I avoid books that I probably won’t enjoy…sorry “DaVinci Code”). But in this case, I have to say that “David Copperfield” will end up truly high on my list of great fiction. I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Every one of Dickens’ characters are lovable, admirable or detestable (in true Dickensian fashion right? His characters are the cornerstone of his genius). His narrative voice is fantastic as well; observations that the narrator makes are usually spot-on with what the reader is thinking, making the voice trustworthy and authoritative when he tells us what a sinister creature Uriah Heep is, or how Agnes is and always has been his better angel. A+ recommendation.

I just picked up John Grisham's non-fiction "The Innocent Man." If you know anything about this case or The Innocence Project, you'll understand what an important book this is. Bringing to the masses this notion that "presumed innocent" actually means something, or that there is such a thing as "wrongfully convicted", wow, that's powerful stuff.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    vant0037 wrote:
    I just finished Charles Dickens' "David Copperfield." It seems to me that I always say to myself, after finishing a book, “wow, that was really good.” That may be because I have a good sense of what I will and will not enjoy (and so I avoid books that I probably won’t enjoy…sorry “DaVinci Code”). But in this case, I have to say that “David Copperfield” will end up truly high on my list of great fiction. I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Every one of Dickens’ characters are lovable, admirable or detestable (in true Dickensian fashion right? His characters are the cornerstone of his genius). His narrative voice is fantastic as well; observations that the narrator makes are usually spot-on with what the reader is thinking, making the voice trustworthy and authoritative when he tells us what a sinister creature Uriah Heep is, or how Agnes is and always has been his better angel. A+ recommendation.

I just picked up John Grisham's non-fiction "The Innocent Man." If you know anything about this case or The Innocence Project, you'll understand what an important book this is. Bringing to the masses this notion that "presumed innocent" actually means something, or that there is such a thing as "wrongfully convicted", wow, that's powerful stuff.

A Tale of Two Cities remains one of my favorite books. I remember struggling to read it during high school but afterwards, and to this day, it remains on my top 10 list!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I just started Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It is part book and part cookbook. It is a great read that challenges the low fat, no animal fats traditional diet etiquette of the past 50 years. I highly recommend it!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true.

As a loudmouth extrovert myself, I resent this. :lol::lol:;)
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Also, the theory that 'open' work areas foster more productive employees is hugely false. People actually work better when they can work alone, in solitude; working in groups or open areas actually fosters anger, resentment, and counter-productive work habits.

This MUST be true. I am lucky enough to have my own office and half the day, I don't get shit done, in part, because most of my work happens in court. But when something needs to get done, then it's done and done well. A big part of this is that I'm in an office, no one around, I can work at my own pace (something like, 20 minutes of writing, 20 minutes of PJ.com, 20 minutes of writing, email, water, copy, 20 minutes of PJ.com, repeat :lol: ) and get what I need to get done accomplished in a way that suits me. I can't imagine being able to motivate myself in a room full of people.

OK...back to books. Sorry for the digression. :)
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    The shadow rising, book 4 of the wheel of time series.....totally addictive!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    "The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    rrivers wrote:
    Yeah I was surprised by how fun "The Hobbit" is to read. I think I have tried to pick it up and few times and not being able to get into it, but this time it sucked me right in. I'm bummed to hear that about the rest of the series, I'm planning on going right through it all. Reading it on the nook might make it easier for me because I think I tend to read things faster on their rather than reading a real book.

I will have to take a break though because I am going to read Stephen King's new book, "The Wind through the Keyhole" when it comes out next week.
    Don't be discouraged about LOTR just yet. I first read the books when I was 13 and I couldn't even tell you how many times I've read them. At the same time, I'm not one of those fans who thinks it's the most glorious epic every written and can't bear to hear any criticism. I just like the story.

Since the movies came out I don't think you come across quite as many of the fanatics as you used to. The movies drew a lot of people to the books who probably wouldn't have read them otherwise. The crazy fans probably never watched the movies and considered them sacrilege. :fp: :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,650
    My Seinfeld Year - Fred Stoller
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Just started Catching Fire. Should have this one finished by the end of the week.

More like end of the month for me. No time!
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan rescued his empire by Jack Weatherford.

I'm at the part where Genghis Khan and his kids are dead, so we are on to further destruction created by the grandkids.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan rescued his empire by Jack Weatherford.

I'm at the part where Genghis Khan and his kids are dead, so we are on to further destruction created by the grandkids.
    That sounds like a good read!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    failed-states-350.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    RKCNDY wrote:

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true, examples are Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks...quiet, reserved people that made huge advances. The loud outgoing people actually are less smart than the quiet reserved people. The reason we don't listen to the quiet people is because they are afraid to speak up, or are bowled over by the loud talkers who are too busy yapping away to listen to others' ideas.

Also, the theory that 'open' work areas foster more productive employees is hugely false. People actually work better when they can work alone, in solitude; working in groups or open areas actually fosters anger, resentment, and counter-productive work habits.

Yes, I hate cubical farms. :lol:

This sounds very interesting!

When we relocated to a new building a year and a half ago, the company chose to go with an "open floor plan." I wasn't too found of the idea beforehand, and have found it's actually worse than I feared.

Anger, resentments, and counter-productive work habits? Check, check, and check.
  • Options
    oona left wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I haven't finished it yet, but it is a fascinating read. We are taught by society that the 'loud, outgoing, and personable' people are the smartest and are 'leaders'. Studies have shown the opposite is true, examples are Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks...quiet, reserved people that made huge advances. The loud outgoing people actually are less smart than the quiet reserved people. The reason we don't listen to the quiet people is because they are afraid to speak up, or are bowled over by the loud talkers who are too busy yapping away to listen to others' ideas.

Yes, I hate cubical farms. :lol:

This sounds very interesting!

When we relocated to a new building a year and a half ago, the company chose to go with an "open floor plan." I wasn't too found of the idea beforehand, and have found it's actually worse than I feared.

Anger, resentments, and counter-productive work habits? Check, check, and check.

I had a similiar experience. In January I switched jobs from working in an open area with people I really liked to a new job where I have my own office. From my own perspective, I find myself more relaxed at work. You hit it on the head with this: "Anger, resentments, and counter-productive work habits? Check, check, and check." And I liked the people I was in the office a lot.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Neil Pearts Ghost Rider:Travels on a Healing Road ... for the third time
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. Great book so far, about 1/3 of the way through it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    PKTrekGirlPKTrekGirl Posts: 747
    Like pretty much every other woman in North America between the ages of 20 and 65, I'm reading "50 Shades of Grey".

And ladies, don't tell me you're not reading it. It's not at the top of the best seller list because all the men are reading it! :lol:

Anyway...it's pretty okay I guess. Certainly a huge change from my usual mysteries and spy novels, that's for sure! :P
  • Options
    "Amulet" by Roberto Bolano

If you've never read Bolano, you are missing one of the great authors of the 20th century.

I HIGHLY recommend "The Savage Detectives" (with the wonderful-to-pronounce spanish title of "Los Detectives Salvajes") and his posthumously published "2666."

You will not be disappointed.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just finished Bossypants by Tina Fey and Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life by Steve Almond.

Next stop, some fiction: Year One by Colson Whitehead, methinks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    dankind wrote:
    Just finished Bossypants by Tina Fey and Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life by Steve Almond.

How was Bossypants?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Newch91 wrote:
    dankind wrote:

How was Bossypants?

It was good. Very funny. A friend loaned it to me sans dust jacket because I told her that I just couldn't get over how awful and creepy the cover was.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    dankind wrote:

How was Bossypants?

It was good. Very funny. A friend loaned it to me sans dust jacket because I told her that I just couldn't get over how awful and creepy the cover was.

Yeah Bossypants was really funny. I think I read it in a day and laughed out loud multiple times.
  • Options
    COMMANDO!
  • Options
    MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    'On becoming a person' by Carl Rogers and just finished 5x1 :D
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Dead Air - Iain Banks
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Star Wars: Outbound Flight" by Timothy Zahn
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    The System of the World-Neal Stephenson
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Tibet, Tibet - Patrick French

Image.ashx?imageID=TdtcbEfPxEWG-lYHCw-KVA&Type=Full

'Tibet has long fascinated the West, but what really lies beyond our romantic image of a mystical mountain kingdom of peace and spirituality? Patrick French set out to discover the truth, and his extraordinary account has been widely acclaimed.

Travelling through the country, French meets exiled monks, nomads and a nun secretly fighting Chinese rule, but also young Tibetans with a more pragmatic attitude to their situation. Interweaving these encounters with little-known stories of war and turmoil from Tibet's past, he reveals a more nuanced, fascinating and surprising picture of this complex place than any other book has done.'