What book are you reading?

Comments

• Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
    edited December 2011
    I am currently reading Juliet Naked by Hornby. I am really enjoying it so far and I think that just about anyone on this board would too. Edit: Removed that last link, it was full of spoilers. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/juliet- ... 1100316228
    Post edited by Cradles Broken Glass on
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    rrivers wrote:
    guitar59 wrote:

Just finished Ender's Game. I read it for work, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Why did you have to read it for work? Are you an English teacher?

Yes, I am a teacher. I work with kids that are home schooled. I just gave the book to my son to read. He is 3 chapters in and enjoying it so far.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    not a book but...

superman: red son - mark millar, words.

imagine if the man of steel fell not into the loving arms of the kents but into those of josef stalin. :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I am currently reading Juliet Naked by Hornby. I am really enjoying it so far and I think that just about anyone on this board would too. Edit: Removed that last link, it was full of spoilers. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/juliet- ... 1100316228

I love this book so much. One of my absolute Nick Hornby favorites. I bet I babble on about how great it is somewhere in this thread. Everybody here should read it, don't you think?
  • Enkidu wrote:

I love this book so much. One of my absolute Nick Hornby favorites. I bet I babble on about how great it is somewhere in this thread. Everybody here should read it, don't you think?

I agree, it makes me think of this place a lot. I'm reading it with my husband and he keeps looking at me when he is reading it. I keep arguing that I am not that crazy/obsessed. :D
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I just started 'My Horizontal Life' by Chelsea Handler. I want to get into 'Ishmael' next. I also have one called 'Bed' that I want to read.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Enkidu wrote:
    Starting at the beginning of Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus series with Knots and Crosses

I love these books. I didn't read them in order at first, I bet that helps a lot.

I liked Knots and Crosses and now I'm curious how Rankin will develop the characters in the future books... He's definitely on my reading list.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    Starting another new author.... George Pelecanos' A Firing Offense

I'm starting with his first as I have read he does have recurring characters/themes in his books. I like finding so called "easter eggs" in books from previous titles. Somehow I have never got into Stephen King, as I have read he does this very often, embarrassing I know. :oops:
  • All Quiet On the Western Front
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Just started on the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I really like this series!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Have been laughing out loud at the chelsea handler book.. I think we might be related. :? :lol:
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    When the Emperor was Divine by Julia Otsuka
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • article-1313888-0B487CAD000005DC-792_233x359.jpg
  • coopcoop Posts: 10
    Enkidu wrote:
    Starting at the beginning of Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus series with Knots and Crosses

I love these books. I didn't read them in order at first, I bet that helps a lot.

I liked Knots and Crosses and now I'm curious how Rankin will develop the characters in the future books... He's definitely on my reading list.

If you like Ian Rankin, you might also like Stuart McBride. His books are still in my forever growing to read pile, but I have been told by numerous people that they are excellent. Plus the fact that most of them are set in my home town.

Currently reading 'Nemesis' by Jo Nesbo, it's good so far and I'm about half way through. The decective Harry Hole is so messed up, he's awesome.
    coop wrote:

If you like Ian Rankin, you might also like Stuart McBride. His books are still in my forever growing to read pile, but I have been told by numerous people that they are excellent. Plus the fact that most of them are set in my home town.

Currently reading 'Nemesis' by Jo Nesbo, it's good so far and I'm about half way through. The decective Harry Hole is so messed up, he's awesome.

I got a bunch of books for gifts... I got the first in the Henning Mankell series Faceless Killers... Three of Brian McGilloway's books (Gallows Lane, Borderlands, and Bleed A River Deep) as well as some Michael Connelly Books, almost caught up on his books.

I am looking at adding Jo Nesbo to my reading list, I've read some good reviews of his books. Thanks for the recommendation on McBride, I'll have to check his works out.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Just started on the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I really like this series!
    Loved the first 2 books, thought the third was ok...but not as good as the first 2. I think I will reread the first book before the movie comes out.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    The new Stephen King....I can't put it down!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    mfc2006 wrote:

The one about JFK?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    afroannnie wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

The one about JFK?

Yup. It's awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    mfc2006 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

The one about JFK?

Yup. It's awesome!

Cool. The concept of the book sounds really interesting..I'll have to add it to my long list of books to read :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Just about finished Interview with a Vampire, have already read Lestat so next on the night stand is Queen of the Damned. I seem to always have a theme to what I read, last year and most of this year it was music biographies, now vampires.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    mfc2006 wrote:

i got this for xmas, it's great, can't put it down either

i love how he tied it to his other book IT

perfect
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Just about finished Interview with a Vampire, have already read Lestat so next on the night stand is Queen of the Damned. I seem to always have a theme to what I read, last year and most of this year it was music biographies, now vampires.

i just finished reading blackwood farm and plan on buying blood canticle tomorrow. then i figure ill go back to interview and re read the entire series... havent read at least the first 3 since the early 90s. you plan on reading the entire vampire chronicles???

youll be sorry when im dead - marieke hardy
    leonard cohen: a remarkable life - anthony reynolds
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    tinkerbell wrote:

i just finished reading blackwood farm and plan on buying blood canticle tomorrow. then i figure ill go back to interview and re read the entire series... havent read at least the first 3 since the early 90s. you plan on reading the entire vampire chronicles???

youll be sorry when im dead - marieke hardy
    leonard cohen: a remarkable life - anthony reynolds

So far I have bought the first 4 Vampire Chronicles off Trade Me (like E-bay) and once I'm through them I'll look for the rest.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • I'm going to start 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' in the next day or so...
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I'm going to start 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' in the next day or so...

:D I just finished this ... It took a while :oops: but I enjoyed it ... Now onto Grapes of Wrath

Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
    Love Wilde's quotes
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • stargirl69 wrote:

:D I just finished this ... It took a while :oops: but I enjoyed it ... Now onto Grapes of Wrath

That's another on my 'to read list'
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    stargirl69 wrote:

That's another on my 'to read list'

I read it in classic English at school but have been re-reading the classics again
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    mfc2006 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

The one about JFK?

Yup. It's awesome!

Just started this today and it is great. I started it this morning and I am already on pg 60-something. Great pace to start off the book.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Just finished Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls and re-read 31 Songs by Nick Hornby. About to start A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10