What book are you reading?

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields

Only 50 or so pages in but it's insane.
    That sounds like it could be a good read. Living in Texas, the border violence of the last few years has been mind blowing. I honestly don't know how people in the border towns can have anything close to a normal life anymore.

It's very good. It takes a little while to get adapted to his style of writing but once you get going it's great. Doesn't really sound like there is much of a normal life their anymore. Terribly sad. Does not portray the drug war the way our government and media do though.
    That's why I'd like to learn more about what's really going on. I'm hundreds of miles from the border in North Texas but what goes on there has an effect on the whole state, including the politics. I've thought for a long time that we don't really get an accurate picture here. We're also removed enough from it that we can just say "Wow, that's bad" and never think about if there's anything that can be done to change it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    That's why I'd like to learn more about what's really going on. I'm hundreds of miles from the border in North Texas but what goes on there has an effect on the whole state, including the politics. I've thought for a long time that we don't really get an accurate picture here. We're also removed enough from it that we can just say "Wow, that's bad" and never think about if there's anything that can be done to change it.

Yeah, I would certainly imagine it has a huge impact on the entire state. So far it has only touched on the politics of the war but it makes it pretty clear in reality it is not the US/Mexican govenement against the cartel and that the Mexican government and army are clearly in bed with the cartels. I'll let you know what I think as I get further, would be happy to send the book your way when I'm done. Like I said, he has a very interesting style to his writing that you have to get in the flow of at first but it seems like a good book so far.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Orhan Pamuk - SNOW
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Nastasja wrote:
    Orhan Pamuk - SNOW
    It is amazing how breathtaking are the words Pamuk uses to describe the season, the moment, the beyond human.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Gumbo Tales, Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table by Sara Roahen
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I saw this book at Barnes and Noble the other night for my kid's fundraising night. Looks like a fantastic read.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam-M ... 1617750255

Here is the book narrated by Samuel Jackson

http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam-M ... 1617750255
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    I should re-read Bag Of Bones soon. I bought it when it forst came out and read, thought it was ok I think (I honestly don't rememebr too much about it though :? ) Now I heard they are gonna make a movie or tv mini series movie about it or something?

I also probably should get/read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before the movie come out.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I should re-read Bag Of Bones soon. I bought it when it forst came out and read, thought it was ok I think (I honestly don't rememebr too much about it though :? ) Now I heard they are gonna make a movie or tv mini series movie about it or something?

I also probably should get/read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before the movie come out.

Yeah the mini-series is on this Sunday and Monday for Bag of Bones. I was like you, not a huge fan of it when I read it when it came out, but still plan on checking out the series.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ive decided itd be a good idea to finish those books i started and for some reason(probably distraction) put aside. then i can move on back to my unreads.

blackwood farm - anne rice.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Just started reading this, slow & hoping it will pick up before I put it down!

41ZSrplPUkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • finishing up a bio on Don Mattingly and getting started on Where men Win Glory, which was written by Jon Krakauer who also wrote into the wild, and is about Pat Tillman
    I started "The Tenderness of Wolves" by Stef Penney. It's fantastic so far!
  • finishing up a bio on Don Mattingly and getting started on Where men Win Glory, which was written by Jon Krakauer who also wrote into the wild, and is about Pat Tillman

If you havent read 'Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith' by Krakauer you should check that out too. It is a fascinating portrait of the Morman history and it does a good job of showing yet another seriously fucked attempt at mind control by a religious group.
    Also, Into Thin Air is, IMHO, his best book. Love it!
    finishing up a bio on Don Mattingly and getting started on Where men Win Glory, which was written by Jon Krakauer who also wrote into the wild, and is about Pat Tillman

If you havent read 'Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith' by Krakauer you should check that out too. It is a fascinating portrait of the Morman history and it does a good job of showing yet another seriously fucked attempt at mind control by a religious group.
    Also, Into Thin Air is, IMHO, his best book. Love it!

this book made me cry. but i loved it also.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I have Krakauer's Mormon book, In thin Air, the Tillman book, and Into the Wild. I've only read Into the Wild. I enjoyed it a lot, just haven't gotten around to the other ones yet.
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    Geert Mak - De Burg
    I am mine!
    a view of toher windows - neal casal.

not actually reading this book cause its a book of photographs neal took on the road with the cardinals... so im just looking at all the pretty pictures. some ive seen before, most i havent... turns out neal took my fave pic of ryan adams. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    intodeep wrote:

I'm going to start Ender's Game on my kindle fire when i get it in a couple weeks :twisted:
    Just finished Ender's Game. I read it for work, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    guitar59 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I'm going to start Ender's Game on my kindle fire when i get it in a couple weeks :twisted:
    Just finished Ender's Game. I read it for work, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
    I liked it a lot too!
    I thought it worked really well as an enjoyable read, but he obviously had a message he was getting across too. Well written and it kept me excited to keep reading.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 7RayZ7RayZ Posts: 488
    The Autopsy of God

When I see Bo Fowler's picture all I can think of is The Clashes "All Lost In the SuperMarket"
  • I'm re-reading In The Castle of My Skin by George Lamming.
    guitar59 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Why did you have to read it for work? Are you an English teacher?
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemmingway
    Interesting side note: I borrowed this book from my mom and it was printed in the 40's and is censored.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Interesting side note: I borrowed this book from my mom and it was printed in the 40's and is censored.

That is crazy!
    If I recall from when I read (some 20 years ago) they talk of 'moving the earth' during sex description. I wonder if those parts will be in your copy.
    Papa wrote some great stuff!

That is crazy!
    If I recall from when I read (some 20 years ago) they talk of 'moving the earth' during sex description. I wonder if those parts will be in your copy.
    Papa wrote some great stuff!
    It's funny, it uses words inserted into the text such as "un-namable" and "obscenely"...it also trys to add the same suffixes as the originally intended text too. It's quite wierd and caused me to double-take when I first noticed it. I just read through a sex scene, will have to go back and re-read it to see if catch anything.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Starting at the beginning of Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus series with Knots and Crosses
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Starting at the beginning of Ian Rankin's Detective Rebus series with Knots and Crosses

I love these books. I didn't read them in order at first, I bet that helps a lot.
  • AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    Marcelo D'Orta - Io speriamo che me la cavo
    I am mine!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    just finished this:

200px-Cover-Obamas-Wars.jpg

and now on to this:

408398.jpg
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto