What book are you reading?

Comments

• just kids, by patti smith

beautiful book!
    'You know time is long, and life is short.
    Begin to live while you still can.'

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • samjam wrote:
    I plan to start Water for Elephants today as I hear so many great things about it.

i just finished it! i read it in like a day, it was excellent! extremely rich plot and characters!

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness.-Gilda Radner
  • PJ20 (4th read)
    the olivetti chronicles - John Peel
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    The Mind in the Cave: Consciousness and the Origins of Art - David Lewis-Williams

The-Mind-in-the-Cave-9780500284650.jpg

'The central themes of this intellectually invigorating and wide-ranging book - the evolution of the brain and mind, primary vs. higher-order consciousness, Neanderthals vs. Cro-Magnons, the nature of art, and shamanism - are guaranteed to capture the public imagination. This compellingly written 'detective story' puts forward the most convincing explanation yet proposed for the origins of image-making and art, examining how the Neanderthals lived for over 10,000 years alongside our Cro-Magnon ancestors, but never developed art. The reason for this lay in the evolution of the human mind. Cro-Magnons possessed a higher-order consciousness and more advanced neurological make-up, which enabled them to experience shamanistic trances and vivid mental imagery. It became important for them to 'fix', or paint, these images on to cave walls, which they perceived as the membrane between their world and the spirit world from which the visions came. These illuminating glimpses into the ancient mind are skilfully interwoven with the story of modern-day cave discoveries and vivid descriptions of the beautiful Ice-Age art found in caves such as Lascaux and Altamira.'
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Executive Power- Vince Flynn
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    just finished beautiful losers.. an accompanying text to the exhibition of the same name a few years back.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    A-Clash-of-Kings-9780553579901.jpg

The second novel of Martin's titanic Song of Ice and Fire saga (A Game of Thrones, 1996) begins with Princess Arya Stark fleeing her dead father's capital of King's Landing, disguised as a boy. It ends with the princess, now known as Weasel, having led the liberation of the accursed castle of Harrenhal. In between, her actions map the further course of a truly epic fantasy set in a world bedecked with 8000 years of history, beset by an imminent winter that will last 10 years and bedazzled by swords and spells wielded to devastating effect by the scrupulous and unscrupulous alike. Standout characters besides Arya include Queen Cersei, so lacking in morals that she becomes almost pitiable; the queen's brother, the relentlessly ingenious dwarf Tyrion Lannister; and Arya's brother, Prince Brandon, crippled except when he runs with the wolves in his dreams. The novel is notable particularly for the lived-in quality of its world, created through abundant detail that dramatically increases narrative length even as it aids suspension of disbelief; for the comparatively modest role of magic (although with one ambitious young woman raising a trio of dragons, that may change in future volumes); and for its magnificent action-filled climax, an amphibious assault on King's Landing, now ruled by the evil Queen Cersei. Martin may not rival Tolkien or Robert Jordan, but he ranks with such accomplished medievalists of fantasy as Poul Anderson and Gordon Dickson. Here, he provides a banquet for fantasy lovers with large appetites?and this is only the second course of a repast with no end in sight
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    smarchee wrote:

The second novel of Martin's titanic Song of Ice and Fire saga (A Game of Thrones, 1996) begins with Princess Arya Stark fleeing her dead father's capital of King's Landing, disguised as a boy. It ends with the princess, now known as Weasel, having led the liberation of the accursed castle of Harrenhal. In between, her actions map the further course of a truly epic fantasy set in a world bedecked with 8000 years of history, beset by an imminent winter that will last 10 years and bedazzled by swords and spells wielded to devastating effect by the scrupulous and unscrupulous alike. Standout characters besides Arya include Queen Cersei, so lacking in morals that she becomes almost pitiable; the queen's brother, the relentlessly ingenious dwarf Tyrion Lannister; and Arya's brother, Prince Brandon, crippled except when he runs with the wolves in his dreams. The novel is notable particularly for the lived-in quality of its world, created through abundant detail that dramatically increases narrative length even as it aids suspension of disbelief; for the comparatively modest role of magic (although with one ambitious young woman raising a trio of dragons, that may change in future volumes); and for its magnificent action-filled climax, an amphibious assault on King's Landing, now ruled by the evil Queen Cersei. Martin may not rival Tolkien or Robert Jordan, but he ranks with such accomplished medievalists of fantasy as Poul Anderson and Gordon Dickson. Here, he provides a banquet for fantasy lovers with large appetites?and this is only the second course of a repast with no end in sight

Wait til book 3! Shit goes down!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

Wait til book 3! Shit goes down!

As good as book 3 was I think I might like 1 & 2 the best. You will dig it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Sweetness
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Ham on Rye
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

Good stuff!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    MAS wrote:
    Ham on Rye

:thumbup:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The first three books of the Song of Ice and Fire Series are FANTASTIC

the last two :? just good

I'm going to start Ender's Game on my kindle fire when i get it in a couple weeks :twisted:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    11/22/63 by Stephen King
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I'm in the middle of reading an excellent book called Navajos Wear Nikes. It's memior of a white guy who was moved out to the Navajo Indian Reservation when he was in elementary school & raised there. It talks about his experience learning about & adapting to the Navajo culture & how it wasn't anything like what he was expecting. It's a good, quick, funny read. I totally recommend it! (And it's available as an ebook.)
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    rrivers wrote:
    11/22/63 by Stephen King

me too...wonderful read
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Sawyer wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    11/22/63 by Stephen King

me too...wonderful read

I really want to read it, it's great?
  • Th Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
    This is the final book of The Strain Trilogy which opened with a Boeing 777 arriving at JFK airport and all but 4 passengers on the plane are dead. it turns into a vampire story, but an apocalyptic type one. Very good trilogy, I'm sure they'll make it into a movie.
    just finished reading steve jobs by walter isaacson. what a complex man.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Enkidu wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    11/22/63 by Stephen King

me too...wonderful read

I really want to read it, it's great?

I'm loving it so far and am about 300 pages in. The guy is a fucking genius!

How far are you, Sawyer?
    im bookless... as i said i just finished the jobs bio and i dont have another book lined up. an historic moment in time people. :lol:

maybe i should just write one instead. :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • intodeep wrote:
    The first three books of the Song of Ice and Fire Series are FANTASTIC

the last two :? just good

I'm going to start Ender's Game on my kindle fire when i get it in a couple weeks :twisted:

All of the original 'Ender's' books are solid.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • My Life in Heavy Metal by Steve Almond.

wonderful, highly recommend!

• The Magic of Reality - Richard Dawkins
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Sawyer wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    11/22/63 by Stephen King

me too...wonderful read

Ack!!! Jealous! Got it in last week but I've already got 2 books to read before I can start it. Glad to hear it's awesome! (Of course it is, it's SK!)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Steve Jobs
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Scar Tissue - Autobiography of Anthony Kiedis - Good read so far!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Steve Jobs
    Bought that Saturday. Looking forward to reading it during winter break.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Steve Jobs
    Bought that Saturday. Looking forward to reading it during winter break.

http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-announces-plans-to-release-steve-jobs-2-full,26293/
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say