What book are you reading?

Comments

• SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Hunger Games.....it rules
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    myra wrote:
    myra wrote:
    Imperial Bedrooms, the sequel to my fave book, Bret Easton Ellis' Less than zero, and The Good Life by Jay McInerney.

i finished imperial bedrooms recently. it wasnt what i was expecting but being an ellis fan i enjoyed it.

I'm halfway through it, trying to make it last :-)
    I read all his other novels, but failed to find any interest in Lunar Park. Did you like it?

lunar park was weird. i couldnt get my head around the main character being called bret easton ellis.

i like brets writing and i like that weve grown up 'together'. i pull my picador copy of less than zero off my shelf and back then i used to write the date in all my books. on the title page it says april 1986. and i think wow! i didnt even have kids back then(though i was pregnant with my eldest). the pages are browning nicely and it has that old book smell. and for this first british publication, it cost me $A8.95.

when i die i think its only right that my books fuel my funeral pyre. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257

lunar park was weird. i couldnt get my head around the main character being called bret easton ellis.

i like brets writing and i like that weve grown up 'together'. i pull my picador copy of less than zero off my shelf and back then i used to write the date in all my books. on the title page it says april 1986. and i think wow! i didnt even have kids back then(though i was pregnant with my eldest). the pages are browning nicely and it has that old book smell. and for this first british publication, it cost me $A8.95.

It's only right indeed !
    Read Less than zero ten to fifteen years later, and I reckon it would have been even more meaningful to read it during the 80's. I can't help feeling some sort of real attachment to Clay and am still amazed with how he managed to create such a complex character while apparently describing his vacuity.
    myra wrote:

It's only right indeed !
    Read Less than zero ten to fifteen years later, and I reckon it would have been even more meaningful to read it during the 80's. I can't help feeling some sort of real attachment to Clay and am still amazed with how he managed to create such a complex character while apparently describing his vacuity.

oh were all complex characters. ;)

clay was a product of his upbringing. its not nature vs nurture. its nature and nurture. we need both. some people only get one. or what theyre nurtured by is meaningless... but it is really??? hmmm :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Funny that I came across this thread again - at this time. On Friday, I grabbed an old book my mother gave me, looking for something to read while relaxing on vacation, and believe it or not, the book actually mentions Pearl Jam. I was like, are you f'ing kidding me?

It's called Mary, Mary by James Patterson. Mary is also referred to as Crazy Mary at times, but that's just a coincidence . . . I'm sure :P

It was good vacation reading, not too heavy, not too light :lol:
    Funny that I came across this thread again - at this time. On Friday, I grabbed an old book my mother gave me, looking for something to read while relaxing on vacation, and believe it or not, the book actually mentions Pearl Jam. I was like, are you f'ing kidding me?

It's called Mary, Mary by James Patterson. Mary is also referred to as Crazy Mary at times, but that's just a coincidence . . . I'm sure :P

i used to love james patterson... then i found out he writes by commitee and his output is akin to an assembly line. i shudder just thinking about it. anyways... perhaps if anything, it was a victoria williams reference. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    microsmerfs - douglas coupland.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The last Harry potter book.
    I'll be back
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    At the moment The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernieres.

It could end up being one of the greatest books I've ever read
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just finished A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I suggest it is a must read.
    Excellent! I just love his travel books. Wish he'd do some more.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,770

I love the alex cross series

but right now

"the soul of a chef"
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Poet of the Appetites. A biography of M.F.K. Fisher
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

i used to love james patterson... then i found out he writes by commitee and his output is akin to an assembly line. i shudder just thinking about it. anyways... perhaps if anything, it was a victoria williams reference. ;)

I saw a news story on him once and he took the reporter through his office where he had 10 or so books in various stages of completion. It really was an assembly line.

That said, if I love the story and characters I don't care if he writes on a chalkboard falling out of an airplane. His books are too fast paced for me. They feel like outlines more than novels, but a lot of people like them.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman"

By Jon Krakauer
    rrivers wrote:

I saw a news story on him once and he took the reporter through his office where he had 10 or so books in various stages of completion. It really was an assembly line.

That said, if I love the story and characters I don't care if he writes on a chalkboard falling out of an airplane. His books are too fast paced for me. They feel like outlines more than novels, but a lot of people like them.

well i understand the multi books in various stages of completion. i juggle 2 or 3 stories in different notebooks, so though 10 seems like a lot, we all do it... the germ of an idea pops into our heads while were in the middle of a different story and sometimes well jot it down for later and sometimes well go with it and write til its exhausted and then go back to the other story. patersons way of doing things is just different to mine... i dont play well with others and i def couldnt hand over my characters for someone else to write about. but thats just me.

his books are formulaic and thus easy to read... thats why people like them. its escapism. i read jackie collins for the same reason.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • After wanting to read it for many years, I finally picked up a copy of On the Road. I'm reading the scroll version and I love it, I guess it was worth the wait because now I'm reading it how Kerouac actually wrote it rather than the edited down version.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Executive Orders by Tom Clancy. Not the hardest read but a good book.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Foreign Devils on the Silk Road: The Search for the Lost Cities and Treasures of Chinese Central Asia
    - Peter Hopkirk

foreign-devils-on-the-silk-road-the-search-for-the-lost-treasures-of-central-asia.jpeg
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Foreign Devils on the Silk Road: The Search for the Lost Cities and Treasures of Chinese Central Asia
    - Peter Hopkirk

foreign-devils-on-the-silk-road-the-search-for-the-lost-treasures-of-central-asia.jpeg

That looks great, are you far into it?
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Just finished The Metamorphosis by Kafka for my lit class.
    Twisted, but I actually liked it.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    books a memoir - larry mcmurtry
    the blank slate - the modern denial of human nature - steven pinker
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Wizard and Glass..

I'm re-reading the Stephen King Dark Tower series. I read through Wizard and Glass years ago when it came out, but stopped.. Can't wait to get to the later books for the first time!
    Enkidu wrote:
    That looks great, are you far into it?

Yeah, one chapter left. It's brilliant. It's inspired me to want to travel around the Taklamakan desert and follow in the footsteps of these people.
    I'm gonna get another one of his books soon: 'Trespassers on the Roof of the World: The Secret Exploration of Tibet'
    empire.jpg

I just finished a book about Kublai Khan. I'll be going to Mongolia next year - staying one night in Ulaanbaator. Would be good to get out into the grasslands but I won't have time.
  • I just started "where men win glory"
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Under the Banner of Heaven
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:
    Under the Banner of Heaven

Great book.