Options

Why Breed?

Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So people have or don’t have kids for many different reasons. I know a lot of people on here have kids who are the WORLD to them. That’s a done deal, nothing I can do about it except wish you happiness, fulfillment and the strength to get through the trying times.

But, why did you have kids? Did much thought go into to it? My mom used to pressure me into having kids, saying “Everything will work itself out. You have to have kids.” That never really sat right with me.

I’ve chosen not to have children for several different reasons.

-Money. Kids cost a lot.
-If dogs are work, I don’t even want to think about the effort a child requires.
-I like a lot of time to myself. Kids come with friends and their parents, sleepovers, parent-teacher conferences and just a lot of activity that would take away from my alone time.
-My family genes are fucked up, as are my husband’s. We don’t need that bullshit continued.
-Kids are loud! I like them fine in their place, like when they’re playing at the zoo – they’re delightful. But, as soon as some brat comes screaming into my place of work I think, “Holy shit! I think my fallopian tubes just tied themselves!” :eek:

There’s a website I love that examines people’s reasons for breeding and gives answers to each of those reasons. Some good food for thought.

Need a teaser to click?
Here’s one of my faves. Reason given: Want to see a little me Real Reason Self-absorption. Lack of ego gratification. Suggested Alternatives Order custom-made, life-like doll. Create a gratifying life of your own

Here’s the website: http://www.vhemt.org/biobreed.htm ; scroll down about a third of the page for the reasons part.

For those who have decided NOT to have children, please share your reasons. For those who do have children, I'm really not looking for you defend yourself. But, you might take some time to think about the reasons you chose to breed.

Thanks!
Walking can be a real trip
"We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I just like my freedom and I have other issues as well. I have never wanted children. The thought makes my stomach sick...I would never want to hear that one word "mommy"...YIKES!! :)

AS for all the things I've done in my past to avoid getting pregnant, well I have finally paid the price I'd say!! :(
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    I was on the pill when I fell pregnant. I never wanted kids at one time. I considered myself very un-maternal.

As soon as I fell pregnant, I loved him more than anyone or anything else in the world.

Money's not an issue. (You always need more money, you can only do your best. My mum was very poor and she did a great job at raising us).

As an animal lover, I would say children are far more rewarding. Because they're flesh and blood, you love them more. (Or should).

Not all kids are loud.

Prolly the reason we love our kids is because it's unconditional. There doesn't need to be a reason as such. It's just pure love.

*Edit* When I was working, I confided in this woman. I told her I was worried that I wouldn't find my baby cute when he was born. She just laughed at me and said 'I thought the same thing but don't worry! You will!'. She was right.
  • Options
    AS for all the things I've done in my past to avoid getting pregnant, well I have finally paid the price I'd say!! :(

I hear ya. My system was never the same after trying THE SHOT. I couldn't even go back to my trusty old Ortho Novum 777. :(
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
  • Options
    Not all kids are loud.

Are you sure??? I think parents just become selectively deaf to their children. ;):p
  • Options
    Are you sure??? I think parents just become selectively deaf to their children. ;):p

There you go then... :)
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    The only reason I can give for wanting kids is that my life would feel so empty if I didn't.

Money? Don't care. I actively dislike it, though I know it is a necessary evil (I also know I can't spell that word).
    Social standing? Simply not interested.
    Carreer? Not yet, and nothing appeals to me.

The most important thing in the world to me: family. I love my family more than anything in this world, and for some unexplainable reason, I want one of my own. If you don't want one, fine. But what I don't get is why some people who don't want kids have such a problem with other people wanting them (this is a general point and is no way aimed at the original poster).
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    The only reason I can give for wanting kids is that my life would feel so empty if I didn't.

I wish you luck in finding something to avoid that empty feeling.
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    im too selfish to want kids right now... maybe down the line.
  • Options
    But, why did you have kids? Did much thought go into to it?

I love kids. They're funny, they're so open-minded and it's just incredible to watch my little one develop into that little person that she is going to be. I was pretty sure I wanted kids by the time I was around 16. As I got older, that feeling grew stronger. I had a great childhood, and I look forward to experiencing my child/ren's lives with them. So, yes...a lot of thought went into my decision to be a parent.
    -Money. Kids cost a lot.
    -If dogs are work, I don’t even want to think about the effort a child requires.
    -I like a lot of time to myself. Kids come with friends and their parents, sleepovers, parent-teacher conferences and just a lot of activity that would take away from my alone time.
    -My family genes are fucked up, as are my husband’s. We don’t need that bullshit continued.
    -Kids are loud! I like them fine in their place, like when they’re playing at the zoo – they’re delightful. But, as soon as some brat comes screaming into my place of work I think, “Holy shit! I think my fallopian tubes just tied themselves!” :eek:

Yes, kids cost money and lots of it. But, so do a lot of things that people want to do. I would never say "well, I'd like to go to Europe, but it's expensive...so I'll just pass on that." Instead, I will save my money and plan a trip to Europe.

Yes, kids are a lot of work. It's gratifying, though, to do things for her because I love her and it's fun to be around her. I imagine that the reason people bother to walk around behind their dog and pick up his shit is because they enjoy their dog and are also gratified by spending time with him. Plus...she'll grow up. Dogs will never ever be able to take care of their own shit. Someday, she will. :D

I like time alone, too, and I still get it. I do have to plan it a little more in advance, but it's still there. Plus, when I'm not alone, I'm with her. And I like her. :)

Yes, kids are loud. And I love it. :D My husband can be loud, too. :D
  • Options
    I don't like when people have a LOT of kids. it seems very selfish to me. the social costs are so high when you think of how everyone else has to pay for education, environmental damage, health care, etc. I was reading in the Globe Santa, where people can donate to families in need for christmas gifts...this one guy wrote in and was asking for donations for his *7* kids. You know, if this guy had 2 or even 3 kids he could buy them christmas gifts himself. Why do you need 7 children??? do you worship your own genes that much??
  • Options
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I love kids. They're funny, they're so open-minded and it's just incredible to watch my little one develop into that little person that she is going to be. I was pretty sure I wanted kids by the time I was around 16. As I got older, that feeling grew stronger. I had a great childhood, and I look forward to experiencing my child/ren's lives with them. So, yes...a lot of thought went into my decision to be a parent.

That's cool, but did you think about other ways to watch children grow and develop (ie, mentoring, teaching, adopting) rather than creating another human being?

Yes, kids cost money and lots of it. But, so do a lot of things that people want to do. I would never say "well, I'd like to go to Europe, but it's expensive...so I'll just pass on that." Instead, I will save my money and plan a trip to Europe.

Kudos. :) It's nice when parents actually recognize what they need to do in order to support their child(ren). Too often I've seen people become foster parents just to collect the extra money to support the children already in their household. :confused:
  • Options

OMG! Hope that paint was washable.

BTW - it's not only human children who can seriously damage a house.
    Here's what my baby Timber did (actually it was a work in progress, there's not much left of it now) to our couch.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=67351232&albumID=0&imageID=3123200
  • Options
    I don't like when people have a LOT of kids. it seems very selfish to me. the social costs are so high when you think of how everyone else has to pay for education, environmental damage, health care, etc. I was reading in the Globe Santa, where people can donate to families in need for christmas gifts...this one guy wrote in and was asking for donations for his *7* kids. You know, if this guy had 2 or even 3 kids he could buy them christmas gifts himself. Why do you need 7 children??? do you worship your own genes that much??

Sound like he needs a vasectomy gift certificate. ;)
  • Options
    That's cool, but did you think about other ways to watch children grow and develop (ie, mentoring, teaching, adopting) rather than creating another human being?

Mentoring or teaching students, while very rewarding, is not a substitute for raising and loving your own family. So for people who want to have their own children...this would likely not suffice. As far as adopting goes -- I wanted to experience pregnancy/childbirth because it's part of the human experience. And it was incredible and exciting. I loved almost every minute of it. :) However, if we decide to have another kid, it's very possible that we will adopt. I actually had a high-risk pregnancy, and rather than go through that again and risk my life and possibly put a fetus into distress, it makes more sense for us to open our home to a kid that's already out there.
    Kudos. :) It's nice when parents actually recognize what they need to do in order to support their child(ren). Too often I've seen people become foster parents just to collect the extra money to support the children already in their household. :confused:

I think I'm probably in the majority.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    My first kid was a big 'whoops!'. After that it was a natural feeling to be a parent.

My 4 year old today told me she wanted to be Darth Vader. I told she's already on that side of the Force anyway, so go for it.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    -Money. Kids cost a lot.

that about sums up my reasons for not wanting kids. im just certain i wouldnt be very happy with it. im too self-absorbed and lazy. i want to be able to have fun on my schedule.
  • Options

what's that mean? it sounds very ominous.
  • Options

I think I'm probably in the majority.

Perhaps. But not a majority in the neighborhoods I've lived. Most parents I've met seem to really struggle financially. Even if it is covered up by all of their credit purchases.

Like I said with my family. They were like, "You just find a way."
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I don't like when people have a LOT of kids. it seems very selfish to me. the social costs are so high when you think of how everyone else has to pay for education, environmental damage, health care, etc.

These kids are going to pay for your old age pension through their taxes during their working life. So the more, the merrier.
  • Options
    Easy answer - Love.

Our first is on the way in a about a month, and we couldn't be happier.

The act of having kids isn't selfish... Sure, you can have selfish reasons for having kids, but you can also have selfish reason for getting a dog, a new car or an iPod. If anything having kids in my opinion is more self-less than selfish because of all you have to give up in your daily life... But at the same time what you get in return is 10-fold of what you give out.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I'm going to post the pdf's of these reasons given, real reasons and suggested alternatives from http://www.vhemt.org/biobreed.htm. I'd post the text, but the way they have it set up makes it a pain in the ass.

I'd like for folks to find their reason and respond with their thoughts on the "real reasons" and suggested alternatives. The two pages are posted separately.

http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed1.pdf
    http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed2.pdf
  • Options

dude, i dont want kids either, but you cannot be serious here. these are not the same thing and you have to be either 1) delusional or 2) not sure about your decision and trying to rationalize it.

the other argument against kids that i think is bullshit is the selfish thing. there may be egotistical reasons for having kids, sure. but it's the dumbest "selfish" thing i ever heard becos the main reason i DONT want to have kids is becos im selfish and dont want to give up my free time and leisure life.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    These kids are going to pay for your old age pension through their taxes during their working life. So the more, the merrier.

Unless they follow the american standard diet and become obese and diabetic before they hit middle school. Then we will be paying for them.

So, here's to good health. Cheers!
  • Options
    Perhaps. But not a majority in the neighborhoods I've lived. Most parents I've met seem to really struggle financially. Even if it is covered up by all of their credit purchases.

Like I said with my family. They were like, "You just find a way."

Financial distress is not exclusive to families with children. I know quite a few people without children (in their 20's, 30s and 40s) who are also flying by the seat of their pants where money is concerned. Lots of people live beyond their means.
  • Options

this made me laugh! :D

in all seriousness, i do understand the desire to want children, and even children of your own. i used to want them, very much so. i certainly got married young enough, etc...but we kept pushing it off. buy a home, finish graduate school, went thru some issues, etc.....and then we finally sat down once again and discussed it and realized, we really like our lives as IS. either way, it's a BIG decision and one i HOPE everyone truly puts thought in and choose what is RIGHT for THEM.

however, i do agree....unless you have the means to support a very large family, 1 or 2 children should certainly be *enough* to fulfill the desire for a family. also, those who want kids....ANYone can have em. whether naturally or thru adoption - even better imho - anyone who truly desires to be a parent and raise a child, CAN. for those who truly DON'T want kids...why subject yourselves to the annoyance/hormones/possible failure of birth control...and go for a 'permanent' solution. that is what my husband and i did, and let's just say that taking away that 'worry' for us makes it ALL even better. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I'm going to post the pdf's of these reasons given, real reasons and suggested alternatives from http://www.vhemt.org/biobreed.htm. I'd post the text, but the way they have it set up makes it a pain in the ass.

I'd like for folks to find their reason and respond with their thoughts on the "real reasons" and suggested alternatives. The two pages are posted separately.

http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed1.pdf
    http://www.vhemt.org/whybreed2.pdf

With all due respect, why does anyone have to defend they're choice to have kids to this group or to you?

And suggested alternatives to kids? are you serious???
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dude, i dont want kids either, but you cannot be serious here. these are not the same thing and you have to be either 1) delusional or 2) not sure about your decision and trying to rationalize it.

Hehe. Well, number one is possible. And I understand Brain of J.Lo's wanting the experience of having a child. It is a strong physical and emotional sort of urge. If not, why would people go through so much trouble with fertility treatments?

But, I think it's selfishness (even if biologically instilled) to go through so much trouble when there are other ways to be part of the lives of children.
  • Options
    Hehe. Well, number one is possible. And I understand Brain of J.Lo's wanting the experience of having a child. It is a strong physical and emotional sort of urge. If not, why would people go through so much trouble with fertility treatments?

But, I think it's selfishness (even if biologically instilled) to go through so much trouble when there are other ways to be part of the lives of children.

there are no other ways to have your own children.
  • Options
    With all due respect, why does anyone have to defend they're choice to have kids to this group or to you?

They don't. It would just be nice if people gave it more serious thought.
    And suggested alternatives to kids? are you serious???

Yes, I actually am.