Options

~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,519
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The kind words mean so much right now. Thank you. I don’t know when or if I will ever be ready again. But if I ever am, it will definitely be a rescue. 
    I was honestly hesitant to get another dog but we did two years ago. I really wish I wouldn't have waited so long. 
    I will definitely keep this advice in mind and not be so stubborn to the idea. It seems like it’s also brave to enter into another commitment like that knowing how much the outcome hurts. But it seems like it’s almost always worth it. 
    “the outcome” is part of the deal, as terrible as it is. I’ve twice gotten new pups very shortly after losing ones we’ve loved with all our hearts. For me, it’s taken my mind (somewhat) off the loss and made me appreciate my old dogs even more as I deal with a wild puppy! Hang in there…every day will be just a tad easier.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,835
    Wobbie said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The kind words mean so much right now. Thank you. I don’t know when or if I will ever be ready again. But if I ever am, it will definitely be a rescue. 
    I was honestly hesitant to get another dog but we did two years ago. I really wish I wouldn't have waited so long. 
    I will definitely keep this advice in mind and not be so stubborn to the idea. It seems like it’s also brave to enter into another commitment like that knowing how much the outcome hurts. But it seems like it’s almost always worth it. 
    “the outcome” is part of the deal, as terrible as it is. I’ve twice gotten new pups very shortly after losing ones we’ve loved with all our hearts. For me, it’s taken my mind (somewhat) off the loss and made me appreciate my old dogs even more as I deal with a wild puppy! Hang in there…every day will be just a tad easier.
    Stewie was my first pet. When I got him I knew nothing about owning a dog. I had no idea that it was even possible to feel this way about a pet. I grew up with frogs, lizards , fish… anything you can flush down the toilet. Point being, “the outcome” was something I was totally unaware of with Stewie. These first 24 hours have been unbearable but also very reflective about just how much he did for us in the time we had him. I don’t think you can ever properly describe it to someone who never had a dog.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    So sorry Nick. We lost our Kasey a while back. She was 16 and I totally understand what you said about the feeling of losing your pooch verses other losses in your life. Nothing to feel guilty about. That was one of the hardest things I've dealt with in my life. Loved that dog so much. Even now, I still see a picture of her somewhere and well up a little bit. It does kind of get easier and time does help you appreciate the time you had with her and you tend to think about that much more than the final few days.

I did not want to even think about getting a new dog for the longest time. My wife wanted one earlier than I did. Well, here we are now a year and a half later and we will be bringing a new puppy home next week. I've always had German Shorthaired Pointers my whole life and never imagined ever having a different breed. But we are getting a lab--the wife won that battle. And it's weird but just the act of getting a different breed makes it seem easier. Had we gotten the same kind again, I think it would seem as if we were like replacing Kasey or something. But this way it seems, in my mind at least, that we are trying something new and Kasey will forever live on as the last great Pointer of the Juggler family.

Anyway---Dogs are the best. Losing them are the worst. When it hurts this much that means they were loved. Your pooch clearly knew he was loved.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So sorry Nick. We lost our Kasey a while back. She was 16 and I totally understand what you said about the feeling of losing your pooch verses other losses in your life. Nothing to feel guilty about. That was one of the hardest things I've dealt with in my life. Loved that dog so much. Even now, I still see a picture of her somewhere and well up a little bit. It does kind of get easier and time does help you appreciate the time you had with her and you tend to think about that much more than the final few days.

I did not want to even think about getting a new dog for the longest time. My wife wanted one earlier than I did. Well, here we are now a year and a half later and we will be bringing a new puppy home next week. I've always had German Shorthaired Pointers my whole life and never imagined ever having a different breed. But we are getting a lab--the wife won that battle. And it's weird but just the act of getting a different breed makes it seem easier. Had we gotten the same kind again, I think it would seem as if we were like replacing Kasey or something. But this way it seems, in my mind at least, that we are trying something new and Kasey will forever live on as the last great Pointer of the Juggler family.

Anyway---Dogs are the best. Losing them are the worst. When it hurts this much that means they were loved. Your pooch clearly knew he was loved.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this. Every post I’ve read here from everyone has helped. I sincerely mean that. Congratulations on the new member of your family. I look forward to seeing some pictures. Best of luck 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989

We got a lab as well. Puck was our golden retriever and I thought I would never have another breed but I think we went with the lab for the same reason you mentioned. 

I actually wanted to name our dog Puck but got voted down. That's a tradition that my grandparents had. Every dog they had was named "Skippy". Just one right after the other. All farm mutts.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258

I actually wanted to name our dog Puck but got voted down. That's a tradition that my grandparents had. Every dog they had was named "Skippy". Just one right after the other. All farm mutts.
    Simpsons-esque pet naming:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    It was always funny to hear grandma talk about old skippy and then have to pinpoint which skippy it was...1,2,3,4 etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    That's hilarious...and a bit confusing!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

you all probably know this...but I think we talk to our dogs more than any other member of our households. It's a constant "conversation," right? It's hard to lose that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hi nick.  i'm so sorry for your loss.  i've been thru the same.  i'll share a story if ok...we love animals.  currently 6 cats and a dog.  my wife is witchy, got a black cat.  fell in love, besties.  prudence was dealt a bad hand unfortunately.  kidney failure only a few years old.  we found out same day cc passed.  she fought for a while but passed away.  4 months later my father in law passed away.  rewind  to 2005.  my gf gets me a dog for my bday.  lucy. named after the awesome candlebox record.  my 1st dog as an adult.  my gf and i are like ross and rachael, off and on.  we had an off period, i had custody of luce.  she was my rock...rock, omg rock.  reconsiliation turned to marriage....we had stl tix in 2020, the show date was luce's bday, i knew it was her last bday.  i was ready to sell tix back but at same time this covid thing made me think itis gonna be postponed.  huntch of a pandemic made me hang on to tix.  i knew luce was getting bad.  my selfish self probably took too long to make the decision.  i knew what was coming.  i had the opportunity to tell her things, such as thanks.  i kept saying these certain words to her. ..lucy passed 7-12-20.  i'm grateful, so grateful.  at that moment i said those same words i said before..."i study your face, the fear goes away"...............2021...my dad passes away.  he was lucys's fave.                 i cried more about lucy than my dad, my wife cried more about prudence than her dad....i think something a pet does besides being a sidekick badass is maybe prepare you for the adult losses.  again, i'm very sorry

• Options
    hi nick.  i'm so sorry for your loss.  i've been thru the same.  i'll share a story if ok...we love animals.  currently 6 cats and a dog.  my wife is witchy, got a black cat.  fell in love, besties.  prudence was dealt a bad hand unfortunately.  kidney failure only a few years old.  we found out same day cc passed.  she fought for a while but passed away.  4 months later my father in law passed away.  rewind  to 2005.  my gf gets me a dog for my bday.  lucy. named after the awesome candlebox record.  my 1st dog as an adult.  my gf and i are like ross and rachael, off and on.  we had an off period, i had custody of luce.  she was my rock...rock, omg rock.  reconsiliation turned to marriage....we had stl tix in 2020, the show date was luce's bday, i knew it was her last bday.  i was ready to sell tix back but at same time this covid thing made me think itis gonna be postponed.  huntch of a pandemic made me hang on to tix.  i knew luce was getting bad.  my selfish self probably took too long to make the decision.  i knew what was coming.  i had the opportunity to tell her things, such as thanks.  i kept saying these certain words to her. ..lucy passed 7-12-20.  i'm grateful, so grateful.  at that moment i said those same words i said before..."i study your face, the fear goes away"...............2021...my dad passes away.  he was lucys's fave.                 i cried more about lucy than my dad, my wife cried more about prudence than her dad....i think something a pet does besides being a sidekick badass is maybe prepare you for the adult losses.  again, i'm very sorry

Thank you so much for sharing that 🙏🏼 
    All these posts have helped 
  • Options
    too many drinks last nite, i missed my main msg.  it took a couple years but my wife got another black cat (scarlet) and she is in love.  around 6 months after lucy passed i saw a friend who had gone thru the same and had gotten another dog.  i mentioned i don't think i can ever get another dog and go thru that hurt again.  he said yeah it hurts but they sure bring you a lot of happiness while they're here.  i really thought about that.  shortly after a year of lucy's passing, we got a dog.  stella blue.  german shepherd.  omg i forgot how hard puppy training was!  and i also didn't realize gs's were crazy.  stella's 2 now and things are well, except that she terrorizes a couple cats.  it does get better nick.  right now you don't feel like it will, but it does.
    side note, i'm quite a fan of the shoes you post.  i've started to collect a couple jordans myself, but far from your collection.  my wife teases me on how i pick out shoes for certain situations (it started one day when we got a call that a friend's mom had fallen and they were outta town, "emergency jordans").  that turned into funeral jordans, travel jordans, pj jordans, etc.           be well
  • Options
    too many drinks last nite, i missed my main msg.  it took a couple years but my wife got another black cat (scarlet) and she is in love.  around 6 months after lucy passed i saw a friend who had gone thru the same and had gotten another dog.  i mentioned i don't think i can ever get another dog and go thru that hurt again.  he said yeah it hurts but they sure bring you a lot of happiness while they're here.  i really thought about that.  shortly after a year of lucy's passing, we got a dog.  stella blue.  german shepherd.  omg i forgot how hard puppy training was!  and i also didn't realize gs's were crazy.  stella's 2 now and things are well, except that she terrorizes a couple cats.  it does get better nick.  right now you don't feel like it will, but it does.
    side note, i'm quite a fan of the shoes you post.  i've started to collect a couple jordans myself, but far from your collection.  my wife teases me on how i pick out shoes for certain situations (it started one day when we got a call that a friend's mom had fallen and they were outta town, "emergency jordans").  that turned into funeral jordans, travel jordans, pj jordans, etc.           be well
    That’s a great story man. All these stories about how it gets better and how getting another dog is something I should consider really help with this period of grieving. I truly appreciate all the kind words. 

Thanks man! Yea sneakers are …. Quite a hobby lol. Post some pics in the sneaker thread so it’s not just me and tempo hahahah. Keep us some company. 
  • Options
    I would like to introduce you to the newest member of the Juggler household, BARKLEY!

Barkley is, in fact, a female (the name appears to have thrown everyone we know off). She's a Fox Red Lab. And she's pretty damn cute. We brought her home yesterday. She seems to enjoy this candy cane toy. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,877
    Sweet. Enjoy
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,234
    edited December 2023
    Congrats on the new addition super cute. What a beauty 

hide the shoes/remotes 🤣

Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • Options
    Wow man. Congrats!!!!! Adorable 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,984
    Congrats Juggler. She is beautiful. I just got a new kitten 2 weeks ago. It’s so much fun to have young energy in the house. Lots of fun, but lots of work. Enjoy. Post tons of photos. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975
    She's a beaut Clark Juggs. What a great Christmas present :)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Great news, juggler! Labs can be pretty crazy puppies but it’s fun when it’s not driving you nuts. Speaking of toys, I’m gonna put our over/under at about 60. People keep giving them to us and they very, very rarely get thrown away. Winnie thinks they ALL belong to her and Piper goes along with it. 

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    Barkley...great double entendre name for a Philly pooch.
    Congrats Juggs.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,688
    Milkshake says welcome to the pit Barkley!
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I think lil Bark Box is pretty intelligent. I've been surprised how quickly she's picked up commands. We got her name drilled down right away....and she's a natural with fetching, "sit", and "let go" already. 

House training is going pretty well. Have had 3 accidents, but I pin those more on Mr. and Mrs. Juggler.  

First day home with her for work and she spent most of it asleep near my feet in between rounds of fetch. 

All in all, a good first few days!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Trying to tamper down the puppy biting.....forgot how much of challenge this is. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’ve lost my mom to cancer when I was 12 and my grandma to dementia, in which I was her primary caretaker, about 5 years ago. 

Last night I had to put my dog down and this is the most hurt I’ve ever been in my life. I’m ashamed to say that knowing about other losses I’ve been through but this, this is just different. It’s just way worse. He was 15.5 and only looked old the last two days of his life. I couldn’t have asked for a better companion. He did so much that I can’t even begin to type it out right now. I love you Stewie. 💔💔
    Please accept my deepest condolences on you loss! I felt the same way about putting down our Sparkels years back I cried for days she was such a great companion I miss her still, the one good thing we had adopted our pug Twinkie about a year before so she really was our comfort angel! I hope with time things get better and the fact that you feel such grief is a testament to how great a companion he truly was, be well my friend
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’ve lost my mom to cancer when I was 12 and my grandma to dementia, in which I was her primary caretaker, about 5 years ago. 

Last night I had to put my dog down and this is the most hurt I’ve ever been in my life. I’m ashamed to say that knowing about other losses I’ve been through but this, this is just different. It’s just way worse. He was 15.5 and only looked old the last two days of his life. I couldn’t have asked for a better companion. He did so much that I can’t even begin to type it out right now. I love you Stewie. 💔💔
    Please accept my deepest condolences on you loss! I felt the same way about putting down our Sparkels years back I cried for days she was such a great companion I miss her still, the one good thing we had adopted our pug Twinkie about a year before so she really was our comfort angel! I hope with time things get better and the fact that you feel such grief is a testament to how great a companion he truly was, be well my friend
    Jose I appreciate your kind words so much. You’re are too kind. I can’t wait to finally meet up at a show. We’re putting a nice table up in memoriam of him. I’ll post some pics when it’s ready. And yes, we are doing better every day but there’s not a day that goes By that he’s not missed. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Jose I appreciate your kind words so much. You’re are too kind. I can’t wait to finally meet up at a show. We’re putting a nice table up in memoriam of him. I’ll post some pics when it’s ready. And yes, we are doing better every day but there’s not a day that goes By that he’s not missed. 
    Totally understand I still think about my sparkels most days, and yes let’s make sure to meet up this coming year I’ll be sharing an extra with you hope we can make the same shows happen! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Totally understand I still think about my sparkels most days, and yes let’s make sure to meet up this coming year I’ll be sharing an extra with you hope we can make the same shows happen! 
    We will! 
  • Options

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12