Options

~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Wobbie said:
    sumpin up with her foot?
    Scratched eyeball.
    They drew blood at the vet, hence the bandages on legs. Took 3 vet techs to get the blood on 2nd attempt/leg.
    3 grown women vs. 9 lb. pooch.
    Clear advantage pooch.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Poncier said:

Willow has the dreaded cone of shame 

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    Winnie took 6th place at the australian shepherd club of america NATIONALS in bryan, texas. Piper is home with me, enjoying the hedgehog that Winnie never lets her have.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hey, juggler - aren’t you expecting a new pup?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,181

• Options
    Sorry. I'm in love ❤️ 😍 💖 ❣️ 
  • Options
    Haha thanks, he has a ton of fans on our daily walk by the harbor where I live. His 1st birthday is at the end of the month

has such a sweet personality, I’m grateful for him 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,313
    Twinkie just loves to sit next to me and just fall deep asleep that’s about all she does these days! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Happy 1st birthday lil buddy Kona

• Options
    ❤️ 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,928
    CROJAM95 said:
    Happy 1st birthday lil buddy Kona

Happy Birthday, Kona!! You are super cute.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    I’ve lost my mom to cancer when I was 12 and my grandma to dementia, in which I was her primary caretaker, about 5 years ago. 

Last night I had to put my dog down and this is the most hurt I’ve ever been in my life. I’m ashamed to say that knowing about other losses I’ve been through but this, this is just different. It’s just way worse. He was 15.5 and only looked old the last two days of his life. I couldn’t have asked for a better companion. He did so much that I can’t even begin to type it out right now. I love you Stewie. 💔💔
  • Options
    I “get it,” Nick. Losing your best friend is the worst. It will take time to get over your loss but you WILL get over it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’ve lost my mom to cancer when I was 12 and my grandma to dementia, in which I was her primary caretaker, about 5 years ago. 

Last night I had to put my dog down and this is the most hurt I’ve ever been in my life. I’m ashamed to say that knowing about other losses I’ve been through but this, this is just different. It’s just way worse. He was 15.5 and only looked old the last two days of his life. I couldn’t have asked for a better companion. He did so much that I can’t even begin to type it out right now. I love you Stewie. 💔💔
    very sorry....it took me 10 years to get another dog but my best advice is to go to the local humane society and pick out a new best friend. It's healing.

And be proud of that 15.5 years. You did a good job giving him a nice long life.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    The kind words mean so much right now. Thank you. I don’t know when or if I will ever be ready again. But if I ever am, it will definitely be a rescue. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    The kind words mean so much right now. Thank you. I don’t know when or if I will ever be ready again. But if I ever am, it will definitely be a rescue. 
    I was honestly hesitant to get another dog but we did two years ago. I really wish I wouldn't have waited so long. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    nicknyr15 said:

Damn.
    Very sorry to hear about Stewie. I understand about the level of hurt. They are family members.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

My dog lost his bed to a couple of felines...

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I was honestly hesitant to get another dog but we did two years ago. I really wish I wouldn't have waited so long. 
    I will definitely keep this advice in mind and not be so stubborn to the idea. It seems like it’s also brave to enter into another commitment like that knowing how much the outcome hurts. But it seems like it’s almost always worth it. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Damn.
    Very sorry to hear about Stewie. I understand about the level of hurt. They are family members.
    🙏🏼🙏🏼💔
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I will definitely keep this advice in mind and not be so stubborn to the idea. It seems like it’s also brave to enter into another commitment like that knowing how much the outcome hurts. But it seems like it’s almost always worth it. 
    It always is for sure. And there are dogs that need you right now as much as you need them.

• Options
    I've posted this numerous times, Nick. From personal experience, I've found it to be completely true.

Living Love

If you’ve ever loved an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember.  The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend.  You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed.  You may have asked opinions of many friends or done research finding a breeder.  Or, in a fleeting moment, you may have chosen that silly looking mutt at the shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart.  But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore…when you feel it brush against you for the first time, it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through many years to come.

The second day will occur years later.  It will be a day like any other.  Routine and unexceptional.  But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth.  You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy.  You will see sleep where you once saw activity.  You will begin to adjust your friend’s diet and you may add a pill to her food.  And, you may feel a growing uneasy feeling until the third day arrives.

On this day, if your friend or your higher being has not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own on behalf of your lifelong friend.  Whichever way your friend leaves you, you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow freely as they must.  If you are typical, you will find that not many family and friends will be able to understand your grief.  But, if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul, smaller in size than your own, seems to walk with you at times, during the lonely days to come.  At those moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary, you may feel something brush against your leg.  And, looking down at the place where your dear friend used to lie… you will remember those three significant days.  The memory will be painful.  As time passes, the ache will come and go.  You will reject it and embrace it and it may confuse you.  If you reject it, it will depress you.  If you embrace it, it will deepen you.  Either way, it will still be an ache.

But, there will be a fourth day when, along with the memory of your pet, and piercing through the heaviness in your heart, there will come a realization that belongs only to you.  It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with the pet we have loved and lost.  This realization takes the form of a Living Love, like the heavenly scent of a rose.  This Love will remain and grow, and will be there for us to remember.  It is a love we have earned.  It’s the legacy our pets leave us when they go… and it’s a gift we keep with us as long as we live.  And until we leave, perhaps to join our beloved pets, it is a Love we will always possess.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I've posted this numerous times, Nick. From personal experience, I've found it to be completely true.

Living Love

If you’ve ever loved an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember.  The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend.  You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed.  You may have asked opinions of many friends or done research finding a breeder.  Or, in a fleeting moment, you may have chosen that silly looking mutt at the shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart.  But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore…when you feel it brush against you for the first time, it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through many years to come.

The second day will occur years later.  It will be a day like any other.  Routine and unexceptional.  But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth.  You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy.  You will see sleep where you once saw activity.  You will begin to adjust your friend’s diet and you may add a pill to her food.  And, you may feel a growing uneasy feeling until the third day arrives.

On this day, if your friend or your higher being has not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own on behalf of your lifelong friend.  Whichever way your friend leaves you, you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow freely as they must.  If you are typical, you will find that not many family and friends will be able to understand your grief.  But, if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul, smaller in size than your own, seems to walk with you at times, during the lonely days to come.  At those moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary, you may feel something brush against your leg.  And, looking down at the place where your dear friend used to lie… you will remember those three significant days.  The memory will be painful.  As time passes, the ache will come and go.  You will reject it and embrace it and it may confuse you.  If you reject it, it will depress you.  If you embrace it, it will deepen you.  Either way, it will still be an ache.

But, there will be a fourth day when, along with the memory of your pet, and piercing through the heaviness in your heart, there will come a realization that belongs only to you.  It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with the pet we have loved and lost.  This realization takes the form of a Living Love, like the heavenly scent of a rose.  This Love will remain and grow, and will be there for us to remember.  It is a love we have earned.  It’s the legacy our pets leave us when they go… and it’s a gift we keep with us as long as we live.  And until we leave, perhaps to join our beloved pets, it is a Love we will always possess.

Thank you for posting. I can’t wait to get past this feeling. Watching my wife during this makes it worse. She’s absolutely broken. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Sorry to hear Nick, I was in your shoes day after Xmas last year when we lost our lil Matty at also 15.5 years old… I was a mess, absolute worse time and 1st time I saw my sister later that day I broke down like I was ten years old…. We got him after my dad passed from brain cancer in 2007… he was that bridge to healing, he also was in solid shape prior to that morning where he just passed quickly

i too thought I’d take my time for another pet, waiting 3 months by being nudged by others to open my heart again. Glad I did as my lil buddy Kona has made a tough year better. We never replace our lost pets but we have room in there ole heart

feel for you and your loss
  • Options
    Ahhhhh. Sorry bud. Love of an animal is like no other. Feel the love... acknowledge and endure the pain. It's ok and you're not alone. 

Lots of love

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,928
    Sorry to hear about your dog, Nick. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet. I lost my 17 year old cat several months ago. It is devastating. my other cat was getting really lonely and she is still young, so I just adopted a new kitten this week. While he will never replace the cat I lost, he is such a great addition. It is really nice to have such young energy in the house again. You will know when you are ready to accept a new member into your family.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,627
    I'm really sorry Nikki!!!

Wobbly, I never had a chance to read that until now and it brought tears to my eyes, even though I've only passed day one so far. Thank you!
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Sorry to hear Nick, I was in your shoes day after Xmas last year when we lost our lil Matty at also 15.5 years old… I was a mess, absolute worse time and 1st time I saw my sister later that day I broke down like I was ten years old…. We got him after my dad passed from brain cancer in 2007… he was that bridge to healing, he also was in solid shape prior to that morning where he just passed quickly

i too thought I’d take my time for another pet, waiting 3 months by being nudged by others to open my heart again. Glad I did as my lil buddy Kona has made a tough year better. We never replace our lost pets but we have room in there ole heart

feel for you and your loss
    I haven’t cried this much…. Ever. Feels like it’ll never stop but I know it will. Thank you so much for the kind words. I just can’t believe how much you could love a pet. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Ahhhhh. Sorry bud. Love of an animal is like no other. Feel the love... acknowledge and endure the pain. It's ok and you're not alone. 

Lots of love

🥹 thank you so much. You’re all too kind and these posts help a bunch. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Sorry to hear about your dog, Nick. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet. I lost my 17 year old cat several months ago. It is devastating. my other cat was getting really lonely and she is still young, so I just adopted a new kitten this week. While he will never replace the cat I lost, he is such a great addition. It is really nice to have such young energy in the house again. You will know when you are ready to accept a new member into your family.
    Sorry to hear that and congrats on the new kitty!! Thank you for the kind words.