Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    Twinkie keeping distance from the cats. Smart dog. :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,310
    edited June 2023
    Okay so the wife and I are looking into getting another pooch. Been a year, it's overdue at this point I think.

Please don't judge but we're going the breeder route. It has been almost twenty years since we've done this and things have changed quite a bit. I think with Kasey, we saw an ad on craigs list or in some newspaper and then drove out to pick her out of the litter shortly thereafter. Now there's waiting lists and shit and dogs are way more expensive and, it seems as if you have to choose the dog before actually seeing it with some places? 

For those who have gone the breeder route, can you offer any tips on how to find a reputable breeder? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    Okay so the wife and I are looking into getting another pooch. Been a year, it's overdue at this point I think.

Please don't judge but we're going the breeder route. It has been almost twenty years since we've done this and things have changed quite a bit. I think with Kasey, we saw an ad on craigs list or in some newspaper and then drove out to pick her out of the litter shortly thereafter. Now there's waiting lists and shit and dogs are way more expensive and, it seems as if you have to choose the dog before actually seeing it with some places? 

For those who have gone the breeder route, can you offer any tips on how to find a reputable breeder? 
    Good luck, I was in the same boat after losing my Matty, waited 4 months, wanted to do the full year but house felt like it was missing something

we were set on a few mixed lil breeds and tried for months to adopt, every time we got close it was too late, someone else beat us to it. Smaller dogs harder to adopt 

we went thru breeder route thru a local friend, yes it was expensive( almost $4k) but I’ve had my lil guy Kona since March and couldn’t be any happier… he’s got a great temperament… wonderful with kids, doesn’t mind carrying case, not aggressive at all with food/toys/snacks
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:

Good luck, I was in the same boat after losing my Matty, waited 4 months, wanted to do the full year but house felt like it was missing something

we were set on a few mixed lil breeds and tried for months to adopt, every time we got close it was too late, someone else beat us to it. Smaller dogs harder to adopt 

we went thru breeder route thru a local friend, yes it was expensive( almost $4k) but I’ve had my lil guy Kona since March and couldn’t be any happier… he’s got a great temperament… wonderful with kids, doesn’t mind carrying case, not aggressive at all with food/toys/snacks
    Thanks man. Kona is so cute. Lhasa apso?

Having a friend refer seems like a safe bet. Did you do any research on the breeder as far as seeing if he had any AKC certifications or anything like that?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    He's a Teddy Bear ( Bichon Frise/ Shih Tzu) he's gonna max out @ 14-15lbs, Ive had big dogs in the past prior to living in my own place, hes good cause I can travel if need be, or its not a burden for someone to watch him. ....he has the AKC Chip/Tracker and the breeder is affiliated with AKC....I even got dupped in the doggie insurance, like $ 55/month thru them.....you get about 75% of bills paid, dont know or think its worth it.....i did it for pc of mind for now, may cancel

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    If you can find a dog show - conformation or performance - you will run into breeders and their dogs…or talk to people who bought from breeders.

If you’re looking for another Lab, you may be able to find a retrieving trial in your area.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    If you can find a dog show - conformation or performance - you will run into breeders and their dogs…or talk to people who bought from breeders.

If you’re looking for another Lab, you may be able to find a retrieving trial in your area.
    Kasey was a Pointer, but we are now actually looking at getting a Lab.. A Fox Red one.

Whats a retrieving trial?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Kasey was a Pointer, but we are now actually looking at getting a Lab.. A Fox Red one.

they shoot actual ducks and toss dead ones. the dog retrieves them. we have a friend who competes with her dog.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

they shoot actual ducks and toss dead ones. the dog retrieves them. we have a friend who competes with her dog.
    Okay cool. My wife would hate that. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,932
    Wobbie said:

Redd Foxx Blank Template - Imgflip

j/k, good luck!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Redd Foxx Blank Template - Imgflip

j/k, good luck!

Yeah I prefer Red Fox to Fox Red. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lotta labs at dock diving trials, too.

I’ve never heard of a fox red lab. thought they came yellow, brown and black.

just don’t get a damn doodle! the guy who came up with that idea called it the biggest mistake of his life.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

just don’t get a damn doodle! the guy who came up with that idea called it the biggest mistake of his life.
    Yeah the fox reds are apparently yellows. Something with the way they're bred makes their coat darker/redder. 

I am dog sitting my brother's golden doodle this week. Haha...I call them Frankenstein dogs because they all look the same and have that same look in their eyes. But this one is cute. Takes up way too much of the bed though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    same look? the same stupid look?

sorry, doodle owners…I’m really down on this craze. you take a great dog and breed in high strung, yappy poodles.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

sorry, doodle owners…I’m really down on this craze. you take a great dog and breed in high strung, yappy poodles.
    To me the eyes just seem soulless. Like there's no personality in their eyes. And, yeah, I am sorry to doodle owners too. I don't mean to offend anyone. I really like my brother's dog!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

To me the eyes just seem soulless. Like there's no personality in their eyes. And, yeah, I am sorry to doodle owners too. I don't mean to offend anyone. I really like my brother's dog!
    any soul in these eyes?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Tired running laps all over the place, we are spinning Ten Deluxe watchin nba draft
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Wobbie said:

Yeah the fox reds are apparently yellows. Something with the way they're bred makes their coat darker/redder. 

I am dog sitting my brother's golden doodle this week. Haha...I call them Frankenstein dogs because they all look the same and have that same look in their eyes. But this one is cute. Takes up way too much of the bed though.

This is my red fox lab. They essentially just mated a bunch of dark yellow labs to get red. There is no official red lab designation. They’re yellow labs by the book.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Wobbie said:

This is my red fox lab. They essentially just mated a bunch of dark yellow labs to get red. There is no official red lab designation. They’re yellow labs by the book.
    @mookieblalock
      Great looking pooch right there. Both of them!

I think you're in Jersey right? Can you recommend a breeder by any chance?
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,239
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

any soul in these eyes?

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    Wobbie said:

@mookieblalock
      Great looking pooch right there. Both of them!

I think you're in Jersey right? Can you recommend a breeder by any chance?
    I’m upstate NY. Saratoga Springs. My lab I got very lucky and found a breeder 10 mins from my house, but that was pre-covid and it was much easier (and cheaper then). We got the golden retriever in April and had to drive all the way to the Canadian border in Vermont. We have always rescued up until these 2 dogs, but it’s  become a real hassle to jump through all kinds of unreasonable hoops. It’s a shame because we would have still preferred to rescue. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    Meet Pumpkin 🎃 

We picked her up on Saturday.  She’s a 10-week old Italian/Spanish and French mastiff cross.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801

Happy 15th birthday to my Stewie. He’s in good shape but it’s both sad and happy to see him reach this milestone. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,908
    edited July 2023
    nicknyr15 said:

Happy 15th birthday to my Stewie. He’s in good shape but it’s both sad and happy to see him reach this milestone. 
    Happy Birthday, Stewie!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    Meet Pumpkin 🎃 

We picked her up on Saturday.  She’s a 10-week old Italian/Spanish and French mastiff cross.

Whoa that’s a beautiful dog! We want to get another dog too just for company for Twinkie she’s 15 but there’s no way my daughter is going breeder route! We are looking for a young dog hopefully a pup 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Happy birthday, Stewie! Keep it up!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Meet Pumpkin 🎃 

Hi Pumpkin! She’s gonna be big, huh?

The call our mixed breeds All American dogs. Would Pumpkin be All European?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Happy Birthday, Stewie!!
    ☺️☺️
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Happy birthday, Stewie! Keep it up!
    🙏🏼 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,921
    nicknyr15 said:

Happy Birthday Stewie!  I hope you were spoiled rotten.

Wobbie said:
    Meet Pumpkin 🎃 

Hi Pumpkin! She’s gonna be big, huh?

The call our mixed breeds All American dogs. Would Pumpkin be All European?
    Yes, I think she’s going to be very big.  That classification would make sense.

Meet Pumpkin 🎃 

Whoa that’s a beautiful dog! We want to get another dog too just for company for Twinkie she’s 15 but there’s no way my daughter is going breeder route! We are looking for a young dog hopefully a pup 
    She is pretty cute 🥰 

We initially got a kitten to keep Max company after Zeus died. Poor max ended up being tortured by a kitten that adores her.  So we decided to get the kitten a puppy to play with.  So far, so so.  I give it another week and they’ll be curled up sleeping side-by-side lol

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop