~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• Thank you WH. I will give that a try tomorrow night.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Yw hope that helps! ( ps ALWAYS always always, have your dog walk next to you.. Not in front.. When they walk in front, there is no control, because then they are 'pulling'. But when they walk next to you, they are 'migrating'. Just a cool little trick that makes things easier).
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I made the toughest decision of my entire life on Wednesday and we euthanized our sweet Jada. She was nearly 13 and had been plagued with diabetes for the last 6 years or so which had really just taken a toll. Her vision had been deteriorating for a long time and she'd been completely blind for the last year or two. We already miss her so much.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890

I made the toughest decision of my entire life on Wednesday and we euthanized our sweet Jada. She was nearly 13 and had been plagued with diabetes for the last 6 years or so which had really just taken a toll. Her vision had been deteriorating for a long time and she'd been completely blind for the last year or two. We already miss her so much.

Oh man, Jamie. That is one of life's worst times. I know from experience that it's gonna take some time to come to grips with that. I also know that it does get a teeny bit better with each passing day, week and month. I'm sure you gave Jada a great life. I suggest you give another doggie another great life whenever you feel ready. RIP Jada.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I made the toughest decision of my entire life on Wednesday and we euthanized our sweet Jada. She was nearly 13 and had been plagued with diabetes for the last 6 years or so which had really just taken a toll. Her vision had been deteriorating for a long time and she'd been completely blind for the last year or two. We already miss her so much.

I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs. You were very kind and loved her very much, enough to
    Let her not have to suffer. Breaks your heart, even knowing that though. So we're here for you. And we've missed you here.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

:(
    even tho I've posted this a few times before. this time is for Jamie and Jada...

If you’ve ever loved an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember. The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked opinions of many friends or done research finding a breeder. Or, in a fleeting moment, you may have chosen that silly looking mutt at the shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore…when you feel it brush against you for the first time, it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through many years to come.

The second day will occur years later. It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy. You will see sleep where you once saw activity. You will begin to adjust your friend’s diet and you may add a pill to her food. And, you may feel a growing uneasy feeling until the third day arrives.

On this day, if your friend or your higher being has not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own on behalf of your lifelong friend. Whichever way your friend leaves you, you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow freely as they must. If you are typical, you will find that not many family and friends will be able to understand your grief. But, if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul, smaller in size than your own, seems to walk with you at times, during the lonely days to come. At those moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary, you may feel something brush against your leg. And, looking down at the place where your dear friend used to lie… you will remember those three significant days. The memory will be painful. As time passes, the ache will come and go. You will reject it and embrace it and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache.

But, there will be a fourth day when, along with the memory of your pet, and piercing through the heaviness in your heart, there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with the pet we have loved and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living Love, like the heavenly scent of a rose. This Love will remain and grow, and will be there for us to remember. It is a love we have earned. It’s the legacy our pets leave us when they go… and it’s a gift we keep with us as long as we live. And until we leave, perhaps to join our beloved pets, it is a Love we will always possess.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    normie enjoying the grass while we still have it
  • norm said:

He looks very comfy!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996

So sorry. Blech. It's such a combination of doing the right thing and ending her pain, but being absolutely broken-hearted. Thanks goodness most of us posting here believe in a doggie heaven. And we realize how blessed we are to have our pets, even if it's not for as long as we'd like. Jada was a very very lucky dog.
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736

sad and sorry...

RIP

Jada

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Enkidu said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

another video taken today, showing off her tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSDtG-uVK0

Okay. I post video of my dog being the biggest being spaz-o in the world and your video makes me want to cry. We're still trying to teach Lisa to drop the ball when she brings it back to us. Sigh.

Sophie is one gorgeous dog. And obviously well-trained. Were there knocked over Starbucks cups and eaten wallets in her past?
    toilet paper unrolled, as far as eating, she got a hold of some gauze and eat that. that was not fun. had to go to the vet to give her some stuff to poop it out.... took a day

she has been such a good girl and has not chewed on anything... :knocks: on wood

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

try string cheese for training.... it's really the only human food she eats..

i also trained her using her dog food, one nibble at a time

oh and she loves peanut butter....that is how i keep her still when a brush her....

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

norm said:

:innocent:

:smiley:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS said:

I love it!! She's so attentive, and sharp!!! And you can see her trying to guess what he wants next!! Very very smart doggie! :smiley:
    she does that so often, trying to guess, and i give in sometimes, because it's so cute and makes me smile...

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

waiting on your video imalive !!! :look_at_the_time:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS said:

I actually took a good one today at "puppy play" but getting it from my phone to YouTube to here is another matter...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RIP Jada.

It takes time but the sadness lifts. We went through this exact thing a few years ago with our first family dog after 14 years. I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and wanted a dog so bad as I always had one growing up and couldn't have one while in the service. For our wedding present my wife took me to the shelter and had me pick out a dog as her present to me to start our new life. That dog watched 4 kids be born, us move to a few different cities and was always there as my best friend The kids and the family loved our dog so much and when we had to send her to heaven for the same reason it crushed us. After a year one day we stumbled upon a puppy but couldn't adopt him the night we found him as we thought it was replacing the old dog which felt wrong. The next day we made a special stone for the old dog in the backyard and went and got Boomer. It was hard but we figured Zoe would want us to save Boomer and love him the same way we saved her from the pound and loved her. I have a scar on my side from Zoe. I had a few months off after I got out of the service and was using it to train her. She was cuddling on the couch with me and when my wife came home one day it startled her and she jumped up and left off the couch. In the process she dug a nail into my side and made a huge gash. I love that scar now as it reminds me of that special time with her.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

My best thoughts to you and your family. Tough decision but the right and humane one for your love.
    imalive said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

I actually took a good one today at "puppy play" but getting it from my phone to YouTube to here is another matter...
    :fearful:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

cdysinge said:

Can i ask for some guidance. How do I get Boomer to stop trying to sniff every rock, blade of grass, tree and inanimate object on his walks. I support him sniffing and peeing on things

when I first read this, I thought you were sniffing and peeing on things.....you know, in support :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

cdysinge said:

Can i ask for some guidance. How do I get Boomer to stop trying to sniff every rock, blade of grass, tree and inanimate object on his walks. I support him sniffing and peeing on things as he is a dog but it has gotten so bad no one else will walk him in the house. It literally takes 30 minutes to go a couple of blocks. He is progressively getting worse. I end up dragging him and I hate doing that as I dont want to hurt him

First off start with ground rules. One, practice sitting, laying down, etcetera, in the house, as well as in the backyard, front yard.. Everywhere. Just randomly make him practice obedience. When you have his attention. Start practicing walking under command. Meaning the dog has to focus on you, not the ground or trees.. Once you have him sitting lying down, staying in command efficiently, start improving your walk by starting out with the dog sitting, in order to get his leash put on. Then he has to remain sitting while you open the door. He has to be 'invited' outside. This sets a precedence that he is following you.. Not you following him.. As he gets better at that, start incorporating that he has to keep his head up and moving forward..do this by keeping his collar up on the very top of his neck. Directly under his jowls. And walk briskly like that, however try to remain relaxed, command that forward travel without pause.. Just keep going. When YOU're ready to stop, then he can sniff etc. this is migration
    Mode fit a dog, and once they settle into that mode they get it really quickly! Good luck, and I hope that helps some.
    good advice, for sure! For a lazy guy like me, the Gentle Leader has worked wonders on our dogs!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I thought I'd uploaded my video of Penny to YouTube but I wasn't successful. :anguished:
    I'll keep trying.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

I thought I'd uploaded my video of Penny to YouTube but I wasn't successful. :anguished:
    I'll keep trying.

perhaps you and imalive should join forces

:peace:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• imalive said:

cdysinge said:

Can i ask for some guidance. How do I get Boomer to stop trying to sniff every rock, blade of grass, tree and inanimate object on his walks. I support him sniffing and peeing on things as he is a dog but it has gotten so bad no one else will walk him in the house. It literally takes 30 minutes to go a couple of blocks. He is progressively getting worse. I end up dragging him and I hate doing that as I dont want to hurt him

First off start with ground rules. One, practice sitting, laying down, etcetera, in the house, as well as in the backyard, front yard.. Everywhere. Just randomly make him practice obedience. When you have his attention. Start practicing walking under command. Meaning the dog has to focus on you, not the ground or trees.. Once you have him sitting lying down, staying in command efficiently, start improving your walk by starting out with the dog sitting, in order to get his leash put on. Then he has to remain sitting while you open the door. He has to be 'invited' outside. This sets a precedence that he is following you.. Not you following him.. As he gets better at that, start incorporating that he has to keep his head up and moving forward..do this by keeping his collar up on the very top of his neck. Directly under his jowls. And walk briskly like that, however try to remain relaxed, command that forward travel without pause.. Just keep going. When YOU're ready to stop, then he can sniff etc. this is migration
    Mode fit a dog, and once they settle into that mode they get it really quickly! Good luck, and I hope that helps some.
    good advice, for sure! For a lazy guy like me, the Gentle Leader has worked wonders on our dogs!

We use one for Zoe.. Cause she had pulled so hard in her neck that's he literally damaged her windpipe. So my dad got her a gentle leader and she loves it. So that is definitely an option to consider. The key is every dog is different. So
    Make sure that if one method doesn't work, try someone else's suggestions, in down the line, til you find kne that works for you and your dog. :smile:
  • imalive said:

cdysinge said:

Can i ask for some guidance. How do I get Boomer to stop trying to sniff every rock, blade of grass, tree and inanimate object on his walks. I support him sniffing and peeing on things

when I first read this, I thought you were sniffing and peeing on things.....you know, in support :lol:

I was. Poor boomer was going insane trying to re-pee on everything I was peeing on.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

imalive said:

cdysinge said:

I was. Poor boomer was going insane trying to re-pee on everything I was peeing on.

That's so funny when dogs do that!! I call it pee-mail.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJ_ROCKS said:

I'll keep trying.

perhaps you and imalive should join forces

:peace:
    Just because he and I are old! Rank ageism! :rage:
    :lol:
    I think that would be more like the blind leading the blind.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    norm said:

good ol' normie :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited April 2015
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Sophie's smarter than her dad....altho he also does "hands up"!

Piper knows down, roll over, shake, touch and around the legs. Too bad I don't have a video.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16