Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JzPJzP Posts: 933
    imalive wrote:
    with her dad under the weather, Gracie is taking it easy too :mrgreen:

IMG_3393.jpg

Some days are good for that :mrgreen: Hope you guys feel better tomorrow.
    ~JzP
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    JzP wrote:
    imalive wrote:

IMG_3393.jpg

Some days are good for that :mrgreen: Hope you guys feel better tomorrow.
    she feels fine. just lazy :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    imalive wrote:

IMG_3393.jpg

Gracie looks so comfy

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Well, after a long time of being out of her cage again and being really good Molly has disgraced herself in the last week, chewing stuff and shredding it, and today she did 2 poo's in the house! All when in on her own, so she is back in the cage when we are out.

Just wanted to run something by everyone though, someone at work suggested that she might be coming into season again. I wondered if anyone else thought there might be a link. She also climbed up a pile of recycling last week and over our back yard wall and off she tootled down the road. Fortunately we found her.

She's normally really good.
    Claireack wrote:
    Well, after a long time of being out of her cage again and being really good Molly has disgraced herself in the last week, chewing stuff and shredding it, and today she did 2 poo's in the house! All when in on her own, so she is back in the cage when we are out.

Just wanted to run something by everyone though, someone at work suggested that she might be coming into season again. I wondered if anyone else thought there might be a link. She also climbed up a pile of recycling last week and over our back yard wall and off she tootled down the road. Fortunately we found her.

"in season" = in heat? :?

I wouldn't know. gracie is spayed....and still a little shit :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

"in season" = in heat? :?

I wouldn't know. gracie is spayed....and still a little shit :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    Quite the doggie expert, eh?

Yes, "in season" means "in heat." Or "estrus" if you want to get all technical. :P
    It's been a long time since I had a dog that wasn't spayed but she would sometimes do a lot "nesting" behavior, like shredding paper to make a bed. But like Gracie, she was always kind of wild and crazy.

On the other hand, Django has always had a knack for chewing up clothing and towels, if he can get them. He was worse at it when he was puppy when several things disappeared but he still likes to chew on pieces of paper if he can get them. And if we make the mistake of leaving the laundry basket on the floor, he will sometimes pick out a towel or some underwear (!) and chew that to pieces.

So back to Claire's problem, when was the last time she was in season? Seems like it's usually 6-8 months apart. I think she's still young enough to enjoy destroying things occasionally so I'd keep her in the crate when you're not there. Getting out of the yard would worry me a lot. You may have to carefully walk all around it with her to make sure she doesn't have any escape routes. If she can get her head through an opening, then she can get out.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Thank you for the replies it could be that she is just going through a naughty phase - I am probably expecting a wee bit much for a 14 month old :roll: I think I was lulled into a false sense of security because she has been a little angel for a while.

She's already been in season twice about 4 1/2 months apart - I've put it down to teenage hormones.

Back in the cage she goes for a while.

Whoprincess - she is rather partial to my disgaurded underwear too, I've had to wrestle many pairs of knickers off her :oops:
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Dogs are just funny like that when it comes to underwear and socks, but there is a reason for it.. annnnd you DON'T want to know what it is..Horses are twice as bad about this reaction to scent..Anyhow as for the escapee thing and the estrus problem, young females can go into heat up to three times in the first year til they get their bodies all regulated into a normal cycle sequence which is commonly ( as stated earlier), about every six to eight months. And you'll know she's getting ready to "go hot" when she starts licking herself more than usual. This is due to the fact that the dog releases a milky and sometimes stinky discharge, and then this discharge becomes more and more bloody, til only blood comes out, at which point the dog is in FULL estrus and can breed successfully. This will be prefaced by nesting habits and wanting to escape, however at 14 months that's just plain old natural.. The more often and longer you walk the dog, the less this becomes a factor, but yes check your fence-line for escape routes. As for prevention of loss in times of escape I suggest you invest in a "GPS program" for your dog.. this is better known as a micro-chip. After I got MY wolf-dog back after four days of him wandering loose in the woods, I was soo happy I'd spent the 45 dollars 11 years pior..However, my sister just got HER Blue Heeler chipped last year and it was down to 26 dollars.. so check around, it is worth every penny!!!!! other than that good luck!! And Commendations for good crate training, it is forever training that sticks with the dog for life!!!
    Thanks whispering hands - she is micro chipped, we did it as soon as she was old enough. Well worth the money. She did go for a wander last time she was coming into season. She saw a dog she took a liking to and off she went.

Hopefully we'll let her have puppies when she's about 2 and then we'll take her for the snip. All being well that is.

:D
    Going after the water from the sprinkler... lol it is so funny to watch her do this :mrgreen:

Photo01141.jpg

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Enjoying the sun
    100_2229-1.jpg

100_2233-1.jpg

This is from today...

100_2237-1.jpg

She is getting big and losing teeth, found 3 so far. Saving them i am.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Going after the water from the sprinkler... lol it is so funny to watch her do this :mrgreen:

Photo01141.jpg
    Has there ever been a dog that didn't love to bite the water? :lol:
    Can't believe how big she's getting to be!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

hi, my name is norm and i hate everything having to do with water...i barely tolerate my water bowl
    IMG_2664-1.jpg
    norm wrote:

hi, my name is norm and i hate everything having to do with water...i barely tolerate my water bowl
    IMG_2664-1.jpg

go figure, is he like his owner :lol:

Hi Norm, looking good you are.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Claireack wrote:
    Thanks whispering hands - she is micro chipped, we did it as soon as she was old enough. Well worth the money. She did go for a wander last time she was coming into season. She saw a dog she took a liking to and off she went.

Hopefully we'll let her have puppies when she's about 2 and then we'll take her for the snip. All being well that is.

:D
    Good human.. ;):D I alway suggest letting them have at least ONE litter and then fixing them. The reason being is that their bodies are designed to reproduce; hard wired for it even.. so to avoid issues of cancer and hormonal imbalances later in life, I always tell peeps to breed them once on the first cycle of their second year. She will be happier and you'll get to have cute, fuzzy puppies for 8 weeks! :mrgreen: But unless you've whelped a litter at least once before.. let me warn you.. THOSE little guys are LOUD!!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Boyz had a great vaca to Maine!

DSC04988.jpg
    DSC04952.jpg
    DSC04938.jpg
    DSC04932.jpg
    DSC04926.jpg
    DSC04923.jpg
    DSC04920.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    Wow! ^^^^^
    Looks like a great place for chilling! 8-)
    Claireack wrote:
    Thank you for the replies it could be that she is just going through a naughty phase - I am probably expecting a wee bit much for a 14 month old :roll: I think I was lulled into a false sense of security because she has been a little angel for a while.

She's already been in season twice about 4 1/2 months apart - I've put it down to teenage hormones.

Whoprincess - she is rather partial to my disgaurded underwear too, I've had to wrestle many pairs of knickers off her :oops:

Remind me again what breed she is. My Dobeboy Monty is 16 months old and if he doesn't get enough exercise, physical and mental, he will chew things. That may be your problem with her. Monty has never been crated, except to eat. He isn't alone very long though, we have a house full and there aren't many days that there isn't someone at home at least for part of the day.

Why do you want to breed her? Here in the states something like 5 million dogs are put to sleep each year because there aren't enough homes for them. I'm not sure if you have the same problems where you are. I think letting them go though several heats and then spaying helps ensure that they grow properly. Spaying after maturity helps lesson the chances for cancer. I'm on the fence as when to neuter Monty. I know that I do want to do it because I'd like him to be able to play with other dogs and stop molesting them. :? We will try and make it until he is 2 because he is still growing and filling out.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC04988.jpg
    DSC04952.jpg
    DSC04938.jpg
    DSC04932.jpg
    DSC04926.jpg
    DSC04923.jpg
    DSC04920.jpg
    8-):D !
    awesome pics lovely view thanks!
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Remind me again what breed she is. My Dobeboy Monty is 16 months old and if he doesn't get enough exercise, physical and mental, he will chew things. That may be your problem with her. Monty has never been crated, except to eat. He isn't alone very long though, we have a house full and there aren't many days that there isn't someone at home at least for part of the day.

Why do you want to breed her? Here in the states something like 5 million dogs are put to sleep each year because there aren't enough homes for them. I'm not sure if you have the same problems where you are. I think letting them go though several heats and then spaying helps ensure that they grow properly. Spaying after maturity helps lesson the chances for cancer. I'm on the fence as when to neuter Monty. I know that I do want to do it because I'd like him to be able to play with other dogs and stop molesting them. :? We will try and make it until he is 2 because he is still growing and filling out.

She's a Border Terrier, very local to here - we live in the Borders. We want to breed from her because she is such a lovely dog (despite recent events), it'll help reduce the risk of problems in later life for her, plus we want to keep one of her pups. My sister also wants one as well, so out of the litter two won't need rehoming. Because of where we live there is always a very strong demand for her breed, so we will have no problem rehoming them.

Even though we live in a small town, our surrounding area is rural and our nearest dog shelter is never particularly full, in fact more so with cats than dogs. There are two main breeds that you often see around here that need rehoming; Border Collies, a working dog used on the farms in the area, you do see some that need rehoming if they haven't taken to the work that they are required to do. The other breed is Staffordshire Bull Terriers, a lot of young people get them here as a status symbol i.e. they think it makes them look 'hard'. Then due to poor training they end up handing over the dog to the shelter.

I've just checked on their website and there are currently 7 dogs that need rehoming, surprisingly there were three Lurchers. I'm pretty sure that they don't put any dogs down and have an excellent record of rehoming.

I know this doesn't apply to all areas of the country and we're probably very fortunate where we live. But we want her to have one litter and then she'll be off to be spayed.

p.s the boys looked like they had a great time :D
    Claireack wrote:
    I've just checked on their website and there are currently 7 dogs that need rehoming, surprisingly there were three Lurchers. I'm pretty sure that they don't put any dogs down and have an excellent record of rehoming.
    Excuse me for going off topic a minute.
    Aren't Lurchers very desirable dogs? I remember seeing pictures and thinking I would love one.
    Claireack wrote:
    Aren't Lurchers very desirable dogs? I remember seeing pictures and thinking I would love one.

I know - I was surprised to!
    :D Ok sounds good to me. It's so different here in the states now. Our shelter is full and over flowing so sad. On the Dobe forum I belong to we only support breeders who breed champion or at least titled in some venue, fully health tested dogs. I'm done with purebreds. Petey's disease has taken it's toll on us emotionally and financially.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

100_2233-1.jpg

hey, dude....spring for a new tennis ball. they're cheap :lol:

Sophie is looking good :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I thought a lurcher was someone who spends a lot of time here, but rarely posts :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I thought a lurcher was someone who spends a lot of time here, but rarely posts :?
    No no no no no.
    That's a lurker.
    Smart ass!

Here's some info about Lurchers:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lurcher.htm
    PJaddicted wrote:

DSC04988.jpg
    DSC04952.jpg
    DSC04938.jpg
    DSC04932.jpg
    DSC04926.jpg
    DSC04923.jpg
    DSC04920.jpg

So glad to read they had a good time, how about you?

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

100_2233-1.jpg

hey, dude....spring for a new tennis ball. they're cheap :lol:

Sophie is looking good :mrgreen:

At least she plays with the older tennis ball. She tears off the skin of anything new, 4 Kong toys, skin torn off, 2 tennis balls, skin torn off. Kids these days :lol:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland