~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    In Texas we're thinking about you and Trix, wishing good things. :thumbup:

Thank You!!!

Thanks to everyone, for your well wishes.

I have been staring at this screen for some 20 minutes now trying to figure out what to write.

I figured as she had not really shown any signs of getting worse, things were going ok, well as good as can be expected. Then he drops the bomb on me, he gives Trix four weeks. Now one really can't tell can they??? So while i still had my emotions in check, i told him what i would like to happen when the time comes.

After the exam, i wanted him to see her out in the yard where she could be herself, and after two minutes she went to the ground on her hind legs and could not get back up without my help. When i did get her back up she went down again. He said "you need to take her home now and get her some rest". So i carried her back to the truck and brought her home. She has rested some and walking ok now.

He wants me to bring her back, in two weeks so he can take another look at the masses, they seem to be getting bigger and spreading. :(

So sorry to hear that, I'll be thinking about you two.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Thank You!!!

I have been staring at this screen for some 20 minutes now trying to figure out what to write.

I figured as she had not really shown any signs of getting worse, things were going ok, well as good as can be expected. Then he drops the bomb on me, he gives Trix four weeks. Now one really can't tell can they??? So while i still had my emotions in check, i told him what i would like to happen when the time comes.

After the exam, i wanted him to see her out in the yard where she could be herself, and after two minutes she went to the ground on her hind legs and could not get back up without my help. When i did get her back up she went down again. He said "you need to take her home now and get her some rest". So i carried her back to the truck and brought her home. She has rested some and walking ok now.

He wants me to bring her back, in two weeks so he can take another look at the masses, they seem to be getting bigger and spreading. :(
    I am so, so sorry! :(
    This waiting must feel horrible. I was wondering if it seems unreal to you, like it's happening to someone else.

The one thing that seems positive is that it sounds like you can talk openly with your vet about what's going on with Trix.

Hang in there. I know it's hard. We're all with you in spirit.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    You and Trix have a lot of positive thoughts and hope sent in your direction. Stay strong, like you've been all along. We are keeping you in our thoughts...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    I am so, so sorry! :(
    This waiting must feel horrible. I was wondering if it seems unreal to you, like it's happening to someone else.

The one thing that seems positive is that it sounds like you can talk openly with your vet about what's going on with Trix.

Hang in there. I know it's hard. We're all with you in spirit.

It is a roller coaster of emotions, kinda seems unreal at times. All i can do is give her the same love and caring i always have.

Trix did not sleep all that good tonight, so i got up with her.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Thank You!!!

aw, shit, Ron :cry: . As I said before, we all know you are a great doggie dad and that this is tearing you up. there really are no words. you and trix are in all of our thoughts. I hope everything works out as well as it possibly could.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    remember the good times :wave:

IMG_2982.jpg

((((( vibes )))))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    remember the good times :wave:

IMG_2982.jpg

((((( vibes )))))

Thanks. This made me smile...

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Good thoughts to you from LA. I'm sending virtual dog biscuits and Trix's favorite kibble your way...
    Enkidu wrote:
    Good thoughts to you from LA. I'm sending virtual dog biscuits and Trix's favorite kibble your way...
    thought you were in NorCal......hope you're wearing your orange and black! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    ron, man, i really don't know what to say...hang in there and give trix a big hug from norm and i
  • phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Thank You!!!

So sorry :cry:My thoughts are with you
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Thank You!!!

Gravy and I are thinking about you and Trix. :(
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:

Thank You!!!

:cry: All the best Bud. Hope you get some good quality time with her over the next few weeks.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Once again thank ALL of you for your well wishes and strength...
    Most of you have gone through this at least once. This is my first time dealing with this sort of thing. It takes me back some 11yrs ago when i had to pull the plug on my dad, that was the hardest thing i had to ever do!!!
    I often still feel guilty about it, so i have to remind myself that it was for the better. Sorry to talk about that, but it really helps me handle things a bit better.

It is like a knife to the heart, that just goes in slowly.

I still don't know how he can give her 4 weeks, i just don't see it. She is a fighter that is full of heart and love, she is the best loving animal one could ask for!!! Maybe i am in denial

Thank you,
    imalive
    norm
    whoprincess
    PJaddicted
    unlost dogs
    Enkidu
    phillyfan
    animal
    Cradles Broken Glass
    Austicman

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Rocket too is getting up in age..he is 12 now. Such a runner still but he drags his back right leg now. It is so hard to your family member slowly go down hill in front of your eyes. This morning he jumped off the chair onto the wooden floor, slide and ended up falling on his head. He has no tracktion on our floors. Anybody know where I can find some quality dog shoes?

th_IMG019-1.jpg
    Rocket too is getting up in age..he is 12 now. Such a runner still but he drags his back right leg now. It is so hard to your family member slowly go down hill in front of your eyes. This morning he jumped off the chair onto the wooden floor, slide and ended up falling on his head. He has no tracktion on our floors. Anybody know where I can find some quality dog shoes?

th_IMG019-1.jpg

What a good looking dog! I don't think he would like anything on his paws.
    Maybe get some cheap carpets to put down where he roams.That is the only thing i can think of.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

th_IMG019-1.jpg
    Awww, poor buddy.
    I hate seeing them fall!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    We went to an animal shelter in Pasadena yesterday, it's a really nice shelter. I can understand why there are so many pit bulls in a shelter, but why all the chihuahuas? There were so many.

I think we'll fill out an application at a German Shepherd rescue place. I've posted this before - but a back yard is way too empty without a dog in it.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Once again thank ALL of you for your well wishes and strength...
    Most of you have gone through this at least once. This is my first time dealing with this sort of thing. It takes me back some 11yrs ago when i had to pull the plug on my dad, that was the hardest thing i had to ever do!!!
    I often still feel guilty about it, so i have to remind myself that it was for the better. Sorry to talk about that, but it really helps me handle things a bit better.
    I'm so sorry about the news. I don't even know what anyone can say to help, but I did know someone in high school who had a dog that was given 'no longer than a month' with some mass/cancer issues.

They wound up doing visits every two weeks and basically the vet told them to keep an eye on him and they would know when the quality of life was bad and even if they were seeing things were not looking good they would let the owners make that final decision.

Long story short, they wound up with about 3 months before things really got bad. I know its not that much of a silver lining, but hopefully you'll have more time than just the four weeks and can really enjoy each other with whatever time is left.

And the most important thing is as tough as it is to deal with, you gave Trix a better life than anyone else could. I always think about that when we made some decisions with Chops when he got injured four years ago - whatever decision we made we gave him the best care and life we could and I know we did everything we could do with what we had. I know a lot of families that would NEVER go through all of the effort you've done with Trix, and Trix is so much better off for it! :)
  • My best mate is my dog and he has got lymphoma,basically cancer
    he is only 5 and has on average a chance of living for another six months :(
    he is really gonna be missed,i take him to work,fishing and just about everywhere i,m allowed
    He is called George and has photos somewhere in this thread when he was younger
    George was my first rottie,but i have already put my name down for another,hopefully so my new pup can pick up some good habits 8-)
    I have done all my crying and i am determined to enjoy every minute together,i am sure all you doggie folk would love him!!
    drsluggo wrote:
    And the most important thing is as tough as it is to deal with, you gave Trix a better life than anyone else could. I always think about that when we made some decisions with Chops when he got injured four years ago - whatever decision we made we gave him the best care and life we could and I know we did everything we could do with what we had. I know a lot of families that would NEVER go through all of the effort you've done with Trix, and Trix is so much better off for it! :)
    I couldn't agree more. Ron, nobody could love Trix more than you do.

Even for those of us who've been through this before, it never gets easy. Watching your dog decline is heart-wrenching. :cry:
    Even for those of us who've been through this before, it never gets easy. Watching your dog decline is heart-wrenching. :cry:
    Yeah - my dog growing up passed when I was in college but you could tell it was going to happen soon. It was really tough just being home for the summer and knowing it was probably going to be the last summer with him (and it was).

I knew someone who used to adopt older dogs because no one else really would. He said he did it because no one else would adopt them and even if they only had a year or two left he could give them a great last few years. I always thought that was really cool and I always thought I couldnt do it because of how hard it would to go through that loss so soon after adopting a dog. He was a good person for doing that. :)
    Enkidu wrote:
    We went to an animal shelter in Pasadena yesterday, it's a really nice shelter. I can understand why there are so many pit bulls in a shelter, but why all the chihuahuas? There were so many.
    Chihuahuas are going through one of those fad phases right now, thanks to movies and TV that make them popular. They're definitely not for everybody. They're very territorial. Probably people get one and find that instead of being cute they have a feisty little beast on their hands. So the dog ends up at the shelter.

I worked for the Census Bureau last year and this spring as well. During all the walking through neighborhoods I did, the ONLY dogs that ever harassed me were chihuahuas. I expected pit bulls but the few I came across were real sweet. One chihuahua followed me for a block, yapping the whole time. I'm used to dogs though and never had any serious problems with one the whole time. Probably helped that I carried treats! :mrgreen:
    drsluggo wrote:
    I knew someone who used to adopt older dogs because no one else really would. He said he did it because no one else would adopt them and even if they only had a year or two left he could give them a great last few years. I always thought that was really cool and I always thought I couldnt do it because of how hard it would to go through that loss so soon after adopting a dog. He was a good person for doing that. :)
    I've never been able to adopt an older dog for the same reason. My dogs always seem to get more endearing as they get old but it would tear me up to go through losing one every couple of years. I admire your friend. :thumbup:
    Enkidu wrote:
    Chihuahuas are going through one of those fad phases right now, thanks to movies and TV that make them popular. They're definitely not for everybody. They're very territorial. Probably people get one and find that instead of being cute they have a feisty little beast on their hands. So the dog ends up at the shelter.

I worked for the Census Bureau last year and this spring as well. During all the walking through neighborhoods I did, the ONLY dogs that ever harassed me were chihuahuas. I expected pit bulls but the few I came across were real sweet. One chihuahua followed me for a block, yapping the whole time. I'm used to dogs though and never had any serious problems with one the whole time. Probably helped that I carried treats! :mrgreen:

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. And at the same time - at the shelter yesterday, most people (and with their kids) were looking at the chihuahua cages. It seemed like that's what the kids wanted.
    drsluggo wrote:
    I've never been able to adopt an older dog for the same reason. My dogs always seem to get more endearing as they get old but it would tear me up to go through losing one every couple of years. I admire your friend. :thumbup:

Oops, I meant to comment on this too. I feel the same way. I look at the older dogs and think about our sweet Ernst's last couple of months and I start to cry. I wish I could adopt an elderly dog.

(I won't be adopting a chihuahua either, btw.)
    Enkidu wrote:

It's like when 101 Dalmatians came out and everyone ran out and got one and sometimes they can be quite aggressive dogs. I dont know that the shelters were overrun with them, but I know they did have that same kind of overbreeding/overexposure problems that Chihuahuas are having now thanks to the Disney movie and the Paris Hlton crowd running around with them.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    drsluggo wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

It's like when 101 Dalmatians came out and everyone ran out and got one and sometimes they can be quite aggressive dogs. I dont know that the shelters were overrun with them, but I know they did have that same kind of overbreeding/overexposure problems that Chihuahuas are having now thanks to the Disney movie and the Paris Hlton crowd running around with them.

I have a friend who has had Dalmatians for decades, she's a trainer and fairly high-level obedience competitor. She was beside herself when those movies came out because the breed became the rage. But they're an independent breed, and they seem to do better with experienced (or highly motivated) humans. She fostered one for Dal Rescue and ended up keeping him. Of course, his name was Pongo. A family got him as a puppy, then got rid of him when he was about a year old and way beyond their interest or ability to train. He had a great long life with my friend, though.

Same thing with chihuahuas. They really need the right match and some training. They're such cool little dogs, but in the wrong hands, watch out. They can be wicked little demons.

You see it with the Labs, too. People assume "it's the most popular breed in the US" and figure they're smart and trainable. But they're very smart, and can train us faster than we can train them.

I guess it doesn't really matter the breed... it's all about the time you're willing to put into raising a happy, well-adjusted dog, whether it's a pet or a performance companion. They can be a purebred descended from champions like Sailor, or someone else's throwaway pack hound like Sweet Pea, or a mixed breed from a long line of mutts like Tessie... it's all in what you fulfill together.

Boy, that's unusually deep for a Sunday afternoon! :lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    My best mate is my dog and he has got lymphoma,basically cancer
    he is only 5 and has on average a chance of living for another six months :(
    he is really gonna be missed,i take him to work,fishing and just about everywhere i,m allowed
    He is called George and has photos somewhere in this thread when he was younger
    George was my first rottie,but i have already put my name down for another,hopefully so my new pup can pick up some good habits 8-)
    I have done all my crying and i am determined to enjoy every minute together,i am sure all you doggie folk would love him!!

I feel your pain, i am going through the same thing. IT SUCKS!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

drsluggo wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Exactly!!! that just sucks... They were overrun with dalmations after 101 Dalmations came out, just sad i tell ya.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland