~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    One of the girls at the vets office told me about a
    rescue place for dalmations, she had just adopted a 5 yr old that was a show dog. She told me he was to old to win any more events so the owner gave him up, just to get another puppy. OK that just friken pissed me off, that someone tosses out a great dog that had won a number of events but yet its to old to keep!!! They should not EVER allow that person to get another dog!!!

The rescue place is in Colorado

http://www.dalmatianrescue.org/

There are some sad stories about what these dogs have been through.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    One of the girls at the vets office told me about a
    rescue place for dalmations, she had just adopted a 5 yr old that was a show dog. She told me he was to old to win any more events so the owner gave him up, just to get another puppy. OK that just friken pissed me off, that someone tosses out a great dog that had won a number of events but yet its to old to keep!!! They should not EVER allow that person to get another dog!!!
    I train and show in Obedience. I also belong to the local sheltie club. Most of those people show in Conformation. You will occasionally meet people in Obedience who are super competitive. If their dog doesn't meet their expectations show-wise, they will get rid of it and get a new dog. Those people are actually not very common but everybody who shows has met someone like that at one time or another. They're not very popular, and it's got nothing to do with the fact their dog scores higher than anyone else's! Most Obedience people seem to adore their dogs and get so much joy from working together as a team.

People in Conformation will "retire" their dogs after they've reached a certain point in their show careers but from what I've seen those dogs usually become spoiled couch potatoes. I've also seen breeders retire dogs to a loving pet home. All the breeders I've met through the club screen their buyers and put in the purchase contract a stipulation that if the buyer can no longer care for the dog they will return it to the breeder. There was one breeder who developed some health problems and had to give up her dogs. She turned them all over to sheltie rescue! She was vilified by the other club members for doing that instead of asking them to find homes for the dogs, which they were more than willing to do.

But it's sad that there are people who just see their dogs as a commodity.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PorchRatsPorchRats Posts: 164
    My dog is my avatar. His name is Max and my girlfriend and I adopted him last May from the humane society. We believe he is a Lab/Hound/Beagle mix. He is about to turn 2. Pretty much the happiest dog ever and he will lick you to death if you let him and will play fetch with you until he collapses (usually takes about an hour or so non stop). His favorite thing in the world is his blue ball squeak ball. We really lucked out with this dog his personality is something else! Here's a few pics:

Asking to play
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max10.jpg

Max
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max8-1.jpg

Chillen with his best friend Duke (big ass pit bull)
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/CIMG0053.jpg

Sitting on Duke's Head
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/CIMG0052.jpg

Brawling
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/0418001721.jpg

Saddest face ever?
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/maxpie2.jpg

Nick Nolte Mugshot Impression
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max32.jpg
    2000: Saratoga
    2003: Albany, Hartford, Camden 1+2,
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 2,
    2008: Mansfield,
    2010 MSG 1+2,
    2011: Alpine Valley 1+2
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn 1+2, Philly 1+2, Hartford
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Hi everyone. We were away on vacation. Monty and Petey went with us to a nice cottage on a lake. They both had a great time. Before we left, Monty graduated from OB1. Wednesday Petey sees the cardiologist, I will update after I know how his heart is. Missed you all.

img_6010-1.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    More Puppy Pictures!!
    Coming on Friday :D

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    PorchRats wrote:
    My dog is my avatar. His name is Max and my girlfriend and I adopted him last May from the humane society. We believe he is a Lab/Hound/Beagle mix. He is about to turn 2. Pretty much the happiest dog ever and he will lick you to death if you let him and will play fetch with you until he collapses (usually takes about an hour or so non stop). His favorite thing in the world is his blue ball squeak ball. We really lucked out with this dog his personality is something else! Here's a few pics:

Asking to play
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max10.jpg

Max
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max8-1.jpg

Chillen with his best friend Duke (big ass pit bull)
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/CIMG0053.jpg

Sitting on Duke's Head
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/CIMG0052.jpg

Brawling
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/0418001721.jpg

Saddest face ever?
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/maxpie2.jpg

Nick Nolte Mugshot Impression
    http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z64/delojf07/max32.jpg

Hi Max! :wave: Welcome to the best-smelling thread on the boards.

Sailor: "I like that you're part Lab."
    Sweet Pea: "You sure you don't have a little coonhound in there somewhere?"
    Tessie: "Mongrels rock!"
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Hi everyone. We were away on vacation. Monty and Petey went with us to a nice cottage on a lake. They both had a great time. Before we left, Monty graduated from OB1. Wednesday Petey sees the cardiologist, I will update after I know how his heart is. Missed you all.

img_6010-1.jpg

And has Monty applied for a fellowship? He looks like Quite The Serious Academic.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

I predict a lot of adventures in the Black Diamond household. And I am greatly anticipating the posts. Two Golden Doodle puppies at the same time _ this will make for rich reading!

:lol:
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

I predict a lot of adventures in the Black Diamond household. And I am greatly anticipating the posts. Two Golden Doodle puppies at the same time _ this will make for rich reading!

:lol:
    Eddie saying... I have to live with Oliver :sigh:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

:shock: You are getting TWO puppies at the same time???? YIKES! Can't wait for weekly updates!! I can barely handle one 5 month old Puppy and a 3 3/4 year old well trained dog at the same time! Best of luck with them, get into training ASAP!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    OK, quick question - little Molly had colitus (not sure how you spell it), so she had to have special food and some pro-biotic medicine for a few days. It all cleared up, but now we're noticing a little bit of blood just as she finishes doing a poo. Shall I take her to the vets?
    Claireack wrote:
    OK, quick question - little Molly had colitus (not sure how you spell it), so she had to have special food and some pro-biotic medicine for a few days. It all cleared up, but now we're noticing a little bit of blood just as she finishes doing a poo. Shall I take her to the vets?
    Blood and poop frequently means something serious, though not always. I'd call the vet first, ask them if it's normal after being treated for colitis.
    Claireack wrote:
    Blood and poop frequently means something serious, though not always. I'd call the vet first, ask them if it's normal after being treated for colitis.

We're seeing the vet on Wednesday as she's having some jabs, everything else is normal, appetite and mood. Will definately mention it.
    Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

We're seeing the vet on Wednesday as she's having some jabs, everything else is normal, appetite and mood. Will definately mention it.
    If she's not having bloody diarrhea all over the place, it's probably not a big deal.
    At least in my completely uneducated opinion. :P
    If she's not having bloody diarrhea all over the place, it's probably not a big deal.
    At least in my completely uneducated opinion. :P

Thank you :D
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Claireack wrote:

Bring a fresh stool sample to your vet when you go, blood in stool is not good (worked at a vet clinic for the last 5 years). If your pup is not eating/drinking ok, or seems more sleepy than usual, go sooner then later.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    zchick wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Bring a fresh stool sample to your vet when you go, blood in stool is not good (worked at a vet clinic for the last 5 years). If your pup is not eating/drinking ok, or seems more sleepy than usual, go sooner then later.

Thank you too, eating, drinking, sleeping and playing all normally so not going to panic. But will definately mention it on Wednesday.
    I agree with the above _ unless she's having a lot of blood, or seems lethargic, or doesn't want to eat, or can't poop, it's probably not a big deal. That used to happen to the Late, Great Seamus Labrador who was an indiscriminate ingestor of all things inedible. (Dead fish or seagulls on the beach, stethoscope ear pieces, a partial dental bridge, etc.) It also happened to little Tessie during a nasty colitis bout when she was a puppy.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Damn, Ron. I am so sorry to read this. I have not been in this thread in a while.

Take care, friend.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    The stooges :D

Photo0050.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    I thoroughly enjoyed this:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/1 ... ew-tricks/

An Old Dog’s New Tricks
    By DANA JENNINGS

As I continue to fine-tune my life after an aggressive case of prostate cancer, I admire how Bijou, our creaky, cranky crone of a miniature poodle, is hanging in there with me. At age 13, her hair is falling out, she looks more like a raccoon or an opossum than a dog, and she smells like a barnyard. But all of that doesn’t matter much when, in utter joy, she puts her little opossum tail on vibrate.

She still takes a handful of pills for seizures, incontinence and back pain — all wrapped in mini-turkey pepperonis. Then there’s the daily prune for regularity.

But the absolute best medicine for Bijou — and me — these days has been the arrival of our two new golden retrievers, Moxie and Harry.

With the two goldens around, Bijou’s eyes shine brighter, and she’s picked up her pace. She wants to take a walk when they take a walk. She eats with more gusto now that she has the boys to chow down with, and she isn’t averse to sticking her little black nose into their bowls to see what tender morsel they might have overlooked.

In other words, she’s acting like a dog again.

Moxie is our goofy, gangly 8-month-old, with a tongue that seems to dangle permanently from the side of his mouth. We got Moxie — named for the old-fashioned soda that’s as thick and bitter as fresh-laid tar (yup, I love it) — because we knew that we were adopting Harry, now 4 years old, from our sons’ college fraternity.

Harry had been Big Dog on Campus, and we wanted him to have a bit more company than the semi-comatose Bijou. As an added bonus, Moxie and Harry are brothers. Harry, good brother that he is, just rolls his eyes as Moxie tugs at his tail or gnaws on his leg. When he finally tires of being Moxie’s chew toy, a firm “snap, snap” sends little brother scampering on his way.

I have to admit that my wife and I were a bit worried that having two new dogs around the house might send Bijou over the edge, and then we’d have to pack her off to some doggie sanatorium in the Adirondacks to take the canine cure.

But even though she doesn’t get around much anymore, Bijou has been equal to the presence of her two new companions. She’s now the one who barks at daybreak to spark the morning whirlwind of water, chow and walks. And when the doorbell rings, she doesn’t gaze up at us in a lizardlike torpor — “Hey … you going to get that?” — but scuttles to the door with the boys.

She gracefully puts up with Moxie’s friendly nose-nudges, sniffs and random licks, like a maiden aunt who suddenly has to raise her reckless but goodhearted teenage nephew. And she’s always happy to accept a big, sloppy salami-tongue kiss from Harry, whose personality is kind of a cross between that of a Zen Buddhist and Willie Nelson.

Bijou gets her (metaphorical) licks in, too. When Moxie is otherwise occupied — chewing on the kitchen molding, puppy-testing the new rug, sprawling on his back in front of the air-conditioner — Bijou creeps into his crate, grabs one of his toys, then slinks off and hides it. Life is just more interesting when you have two buddies to compete with.

If they’re blocking Bijou’s way as she begs for bagel crumbs or Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, she simply slips under them to get to the front of the line. And she now barks as impatiently for her breakfast as the puppy does — though she can’t vault into the air like a springbok, the way Moxie can.

And on these hot summer nights as I sit in the den and read, the three dogs stretch out on the cool hardwood floors — a canine archipelago — and snooze in chronological order: Moxie, still a puppy after all, near me, his nose in striking distance of Harry’s tail; a blissful Harry next; and then Bijou, a satisfied heap of sighs as she leads the three of them in a chorus of snores.

Dana Jennings’s new book, “What a Difference a Dog Makes: Big Lessons on Life, Love and Healing from a Small Pooch,” will be published in November.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,886
    PorchRats wrote:

damn, i'm behind here :cry: ! welcome to the doggie thread, max!!!!! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    My best mate is my dog and he has got lymphoma,basically cancer
    he is only 5 and has on average a chance of living for another six months :(
    he is really gonna be missed,i take him to work,fishing and just about everywhere i,m allowed
    He is called George and has photos somewhere in this thread when he was younger
    George was my first rottie,but i have already put my name down for another,hopefully so my new pup can pick up some good habits 8-)
    I have done all my crying and i am determined to enjoy every minute together,i am sure all you doggie folk would love him!!

I feel your pain, i am going through the same thing. IT SUCKS!!!

good vibes to both you guys :cry: . good luck with your new pup, Dave....I think it's a good idea to jump right back in. sorry for my tardiness....ever since i quit going to WORK, there not nearly as much time for the message pit! :wtf: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

i'm not ignoring you guys....busy, busy, busy! hopefully, they exhaust each other............not you! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    My best mate is my dog and he has got lymphoma,basically cancer
    he is only 5 and has on average a chance of living for another six months :(
    he is really gonna be missed,i take him to work,fishing and just about everywhere i,m allowed
    He is called George and has photos somewhere in this thread when he was younger
    George was my first rottie,but i have already put my name down for another,hopefully so my new pup can pick up some good habits 8-)
    I have done all my crying and i am determined to enjoy every minute together,i am sure all you doggie folk would love him!!

I feel your pain, i am going through the same thing. IT SUCKS!!!

good vibes to both you guys :cry: . good luck with your new pup, Dave....I think it's a good idea to jump right back in. sorry for my tardiness....ever since i quit going to WORK, there not nearly as much time for the message pit! :wtf: :lol:
    Thanks a lot guys,doggie folk rule!! 8-)
    I was going through a bunch of old snapshots and found this one from 1989 of me and my dog Tess (RIP). The tee shirt seems appropriate. :shifty: ;)

maximumlove.jpg

Of course, not the best shirt to be wearing while cuddling a furry white dog! :lol:
    Just in from the cardiologist. Petey's disease has progressed. He is now being put on the big gun of meds. He was a very good boy for the Cardiologist and his techs.

DSC03226.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Just in from the cardiologist. Petey's disease has progressed. He is now being put on the big gun of meds. He was a very good boy for the Cardiologist and his techs.

DSC03226.jpg

aww what a trooper...big pets from norm and me
    imalive wrote:
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

i'm not ignoring you guys....busy, busy, busy! hopefully, they exhaust each other............not you! :mrgreen:
    I would like them to exhaust my kids more!! :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    More Puppy Pictures!!

Eddie
    Eddie8910-1.jpg

Oliver
    Oliver8910-1.jpg

I would like them to exhaust my kids more!! :mrgreen:

i meant to tell ya...you're nuts! 3 kids and 2 dogs?!?! :shock: :lol::lol:

but they are cute bundles of fur...have fun! :mrgreen: