~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Buttercup the dog adopts nine kittens at Surrey animal hospital
    METRO VANCOUVER -- Traditional arch enemies dog and cat appear to have made peace at a Surrey animal hospital where nine orphaned kittens are being fed by the most unlikely of nursemaids.

A two-year-old chihuahua named Buttercup has adopted two separate litters of kittens, five abandoned and four premature, and is nursing them back to health.

Her owner, Lisa Scribner, 37, said Buttercup feeds and cleans them just as though they were her own puppies.

"One of the kittens is almost as big as the dog. We call him Muffin," said Scribner, who has worked as a veterinarian assistant for five years at the Angel Animal Hospital.

The bittersweet tale began two weeks ago when Buttercup gave birth to a puppy named Petey, who died four hours after birth because he wasn't fully formed.

Scribner said it broke her heart to see her beloved Buttercup looking so forlorn.

"She was so depressed," she said. "When I tried to take the puppy she put her paw on my hand as if to say 'No.' She scooped him underneath her and lay on him. It was hard on her and me. She would follow me and whine. She kept looking for him. I don't care what anybody says: she would cry. Her eyes would tear up. She wasn't eating or drinking. It was depression."

But then Scribner received a call at the hospital about five kittens that had been abandoned during the night in a yard in Surrey.

"They were starving. They had been a full night and a full day without food. When we got them they were very weak and meowing," she said.

Buttercup went straight up to the kittens and started cleaning them. And it wasn't long before the wee animals latched on.

"She still had milk and she took to these babies right away. She hasn't left them since and is very protective."

Scribner was concerned about what would happen to Buttercup when the five kittens were weaned and sent to their new homes.

But then along came four premature kittens on Thursday, after the veterinarian had to perform a C-section on the dying mother cat.

Buttercup is now the adoptive mother of nine tiny creatures, and not one of them is a dog. Scribner said her chihuahua seems happier than ever before.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Butter ... z0pLiFjpvn
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    first a neighbor got a new dog who is a mix, looks there's a little ridge back in her....anyway the neighbor had been keeping her off a leash. i was on my way to take jackson and my roommates dog, lenny, to the dog park. as i walk out the neighbor is sitting in her car with the dog laying in the driveway. i go to my car and open the door when lenny starts barking. i turn around and this dog is now in my yard walking towards us. i get jackson in the car but lenny keeps barking and growling at this dog who in return starts walking real slow towards lenny showing teeth and growling! the lady is still sitting in her car just yelling the dogs name, i ask if she can get her dog but she continues to only yell her name from the seat of her car :roll:

so, now the dog is closer and i'm fighting to get lenny, as little as he is, in the car while keeping jackson in as the dog continues to get closer growling and showing her teeth. then all of a sudden jackson about knocks me over as he jumps out of the car and lunges at the dog showing his teeth and snarling and kind of ramming her and pushing her back with his front paws! the lady finally comes and gets her dogs and i leave.

looking back on it now i think the dog was trying to exert her dominance in the neighborhood because if she really had wanted to attack lenny or jackson she could have, still it's fucked up!! it was also cute to see jackson defend lenny and me, he only turned 13 months last week and is a big goof ball. i've only heard him growl or bark at strangers, never a dog and he's never been that mean sounding towards a stranger and he's always been nothing but playful towards other dogs plus he's kind of a scaredy cat

2 days later i'm taking them out for a walk and put both leashes in my left hand as i pull the front door shut. at the same time a lady who lives down the street is coming around a corner with her little dog. lenny goes batshit crazy and takes off after him pulling the leash out of my hand. the 2 of them get into a fight but they are about the same size and no one did any harm. after it's broken up i go down and apologize and ask if her dog is ok. he is but she's obviously a little mad about it.

a few days ago my roommate showed me an ad on craigslist for a family on a farm giving away a 2 year old great pyrenees. so a couple of days ago i drove about 45 min to their farm to get him. they said they have 16 other dogs, a lot of goats and chickens, cats....and think he'd do better somewhere else. they originally got him to watch the goats but 1 doesn't like him and will ram him or chase him around. also he's been an outside dog his whole life and his hair is matted in several spots and he is really dirty. he's pretty skinny, too. he's really sweet and thinks he's a lap dog. at first he didn't like being inside but after hanging out on the front porch in the heat then going inside to air conditioning, fans and cold bathroom tiles a few times he is coming around. a friend/coworker is going to shave him monday for free and the following day he gets his balls cut off and gets his shots. he's so sweet but man does he stink!!!! :/ he'll be so much happier when he's clean and gets his nails n hair did ;)
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    first a neighbor got a new dog who is a mix, looks there's a little ridge back in her....anyway the neighbor had been keeping her off a leash. i was on my way to take jackson and my roommates dog, lenny, to the dog park. as i walk out the neighbor is sitting in her car with the dog laying in the driveway. i go to my car and open the door when lenny starts barking. i turn around and this dog is now in my yard walking towards us. i get jackson in the car but lenny keeps barking and growling at this dog who in return starts walking real slow towards lenny showing teeth and growling! the lady is still sitting in her car just yelling the dogs name, i ask if she can get her dog but she continues to only yell her name from the seat of her car :roll:
    I must say we're bad at leaving sammi on the driveway unattended. Its not that she's ever been aggressive (except for barking if someone comes on the property) but there are rules because of dogs like that ^^.
    Its a shame really, sammi enjoys her freedom and we try to let her have as much as she can because she is so well behaved. Its a good thing I give the local animal control guy breaks on his late movies... lol.

That lady sounds ridiclous though, she obviously can see her dog is up to no good... That'd piss me off.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,879
    Austicman wrote:

Over the last couple of months when I was living with my folkes. My mum's alzheimers was getting pretty bad. And of all the sad things about it one of the funny things was that Bubba would get about 20 biscuits a day out of her. Mum would keep her biscuit tin under the coffee table in the lounge room and whenever Bubba came into the room she'd go straight up to Mum for biscuit. Eventually she worked out that if she left the it long enough Mum would forget that she'd given her one and would give her another.
    Needless to say that Bubba put on a few pounds in those last couple of months and gets overly excited when we go for a visit to Granny and Granda's place :D

it sucks that your mum has that awful disease :cry: ........but the treat/dog part is pretty damn funny. :mrgreen:

a few days ago my roommate showed me an ad on craigslist for a family on a farm giving away a 2 year old great pyrenees. so a couple of days ago i drove about 45 min to their farm to get him. they said they have 16 other dogs, a lot of goats and chickens, cats....and think he'd do better somewhere else. they originally got him to watch the goats but 1 doesn't like him and will ram him or chase him around. also he's been an outside dog his whole life and his hair is matted in several spots and he is really dirty. he's pretty skinny, too. he's really sweet and thinks he's a lap dog. at first he didn't like being inside but after hanging out on the front porch in the heat then going inside to air conditioning, fans and cold bathroom tiles a few times he is coming around. a friend/coworker is going to shave him monday for free and the following day he gets his balls cut off and gets his shots. he's so sweet but man does he stink!!!! :/ he'll be so much happier when he's clean and gets his nails n hair did ;)

that is awesome!! I love those great pyrenees (probably cuz they look like goldens :mrgreen: ). Anyway, I'm sure I speak for all of us ;) when I say...........pictures!!!!! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    haffajappa wrote:
    That lady sounds ridiclous though, she obviously can see her dog is up to no good... That'd piss me off.

yeah, she's a trip! i don't mind if someone's dog is off a leash, i think before too long i'll be able to have the great pyrenees off a leash but if you see your dog going onto someone else's property snarling and showing teeth get off yer fucking ass!
    imalive wrote:

that is awesome!! I love those great pyrenees (probably cuz they look like goldens :mrgreen: ). Anyway, I'm sure I speak for all of us ;) when I say...........pictures!!!!! :mrgreen:

haha i'm working on it, the camera on my blackberry stopped working and i have the batteries for my camera charging as i type!
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    as i walk out the neighbor is sitting in her car with the dog laying in the driveway. i go to my car and open the door when lenny starts barking. i turn around and this dog is now in my yard walking towards us. i get jackson in the car but lenny keeps barking and growling at this dog who in return starts walking real slow towards lenny showing teeth and growling! the lady is still sitting in her car just yelling the dogs name, i ask if she can get her dog but she continues to only yell her name from the seat of her car :roll:

some people shouldn't have dogs
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    norm wrote:
    as i walk out the neighbor is sitting in her car with the dog laying in the driveway. i go to my car and open the door when lenny starts barking. i turn around and this dog is now in my yard walking towards us. i get jackson in the car but lenny keeps barking and growling at this dog who in return starts walking real slow towards lenny showing teeth and growling! the lady is still sitting in her car just yelling the dogs name, i ask if she can get her dog but she continues to only yell her name from the seat of her car :roll:

+1
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    norm wrote:

+1
    kinda like children :lol:
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    norm wrote:
    we've been absent from this thread...but norm had fun staying with the 'rents while i was in new york :D

2e739244.jpg

ahhhh i just wanna tackle him into a hug :)
    wah
    norm wrote:
    we've been absent from this thread...but norm had fun staying with the 'rents while i was in new york :D

2e739244.jpg

me, too...............then I'll rip off that fucking collar! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

2e739244.jpg

me, too...............then I'll rip off that fucking collar! :lol:

:lol::lol:
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Mazal Tov to our pups!

We are so proud of them both!

jewishdog.jpg
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    DangDang wrote:
    Mazal Tov to our pups!

jewishdog.jpg
    Too cute!
    Was this their Bar Mitzvah?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Too cute!

Bark Mitzvah! ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    imalive wrote:
    Too cute!

Bark Mitzvah! ;)
    LOVE IT!!! :thumbup: :clap:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    DangDang wrote:
    Mazal Tov to our pups!

jewishdog.jpg
    Too cute!

Yes, as Imalive correctly stated, it was their Bark Mitzvah!
    "Dog is my co-pilot" ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    3b26865a-1.jpg
    c4c13406-1.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yeah im starting to think ill keep cj and get rid of the kids. on the weekend i was cutting back a bush from the fence and cj comes in and drags the cut branches away. so cute cause some of them were as big and bigger than him. and...

... hes discovered bubbles. he cant quite work out where they disappear to. but boy are they fun to jump at and try to catch. :lol:

its wet here today. and someone needs a wash.

31may.jpg
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yeah im starting to think ill keep cj and get rid of the kids. on the weekend i was cutting back a bush from the fence and cj comes in and drags the cut branches away. so cute cause some of them were as big and bigger than him. and...

... hes discovered bubbles. he cant quite work out where they disappear to. but boy are they fun to jump at and try to catch. :lol:

31may.jpg

you're screwed cate...that pup is the definition of cute! and helpful too? :shock: :lol::lol::mrgreen:
    norm wrote:

31may.jpg

you're screwed cate...that pup is the definition of cute! and helpful too? :shock: :lol::lol::mrgreen:

oh i know it norm. i dont dislike dogs, it was the responsibility of one owning me i wasnt prepared to deal with.

he also amuses me when he rolls around squirming on his back ruffing(as the toddlermonster calls it) and barking at something unseen.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

31may.jpg

photo.jpg

Sailor: "CJ, let me tell you a few things about how to REALLY get dirty. Or at least sandy. Very sandy."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Sailor: "CJ, let me tell you a few things about how to REALLY get dirty. Or at least sandy. Very sandy."

hes still a baby, you stay away. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Sailor: "Grasshopper, I have much to teach you. Mwahahahahaha."

31may.jpg

photo.jpg

these guys MADE MY DAY! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

31may.jpg

photo.jpg

aw damn! :lol::lol:
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    norm wrote:

31may.jpg

photo.jpg

aw damn! :lol::lol:

Aww, they are both so adorable :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    haffajappa wrote:
    Buttercup the dog adopts nine kittens at Surrey animal hospital
    METRO VANCOUVER -- Traditional arch enemies dog and cat appear to have made peace at a Surrey animal hospital where nine orphaned kittens are being fed by the most unlikely of nursemaids.

A two-year-old chihuahua named Buttercup has adopted two separate litters of kittens, five abandoned and four premature, and is nursing them back to health.

Her owner, Lisa Scribner, 37, said Buttercup feeds and cleans them just as though they were her own puppies.

"One of the kittens is almost as big as the dog. We call him Muffin," said Scribner, who has worked as a veterinarian assistant for five years at the Angel Animal Hospital.

The bittersweet tale began two weeks ago when Buttercup gave birth to a puppy named Petey, who died four hours after birth because he wasn't fully formed.

Scribner said it broke her heart to see her beloved Buttercup looking so forlorn.

"She was so depressed," she said. "When I tried to take the puppy she put her paw on my hand as if to say 'No.' She scooped him underneath her and lay on him. It was hard on her and me. She would follow me and whine. She kept looking for him. I don't care what anybody says: she would cry. Her eyes would tear up. She wasn't eating or drinking. It was depression."

But then Scribner received a call at the hospital about five kittens that had been abandoned during the night in a yard in Surrey.

"They were starving. They had been a full night and a full day without food. When we got them they were very weak and meowing," she said.

Buttercup went straight up to the kittens and started cleaning them. And it wasn't long before the wee animals latched on.

"She still had milk and she took to these babies right away. She hasn't left them since and is very protective."

Scribner was concerned about what would happen to Buttercup when the five kittens were weaned and sent to their new homes.

But then along came four premature kittens on Thursday, after the veterinarian had to perform a C-section on the dying mother cat.

Buttercup is now the adoptive mother of nine tiny creatures, and not one of them is a dog. Scribner said her chihuahua seems happier than ever before.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Butter ... z0pLiFjpvn

That made me cry. So sad and so beautiful at the same time :)
    DangDang wrote:
    Mazal Tov to our pups!

jewishdog.jpg

Gorgeous! They look so proud of themselves :lol::lol::lol:
    Austicman wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    i still get shit for limiting them to giving one treat a day :roll: :lol::lol:

ONE????? :wtf:

Gracie heads right to the treat jar every time she comes in from a successful potty trip. :lol:

Over the last couple of months when I was living with my folkes. My mum's alzheimers was getting pretty bad. And of all the sad things about it one of the funny things was that Bubba would get about 20 biscuits a day out of her. Mum would keep her biscuit tin under the coffee table in the lounge room and whenever Bubba came into the room she'd go straight up to Mum for biscuit. Eventually she worked out that if she left the it long enough Mum would forget that she'd given her one and would give her another.
    Needless to say that Bubba put on a few pounds in those last couple of months and gets overly excited when we go for a visit to Granny and Granda's place :D

Sorry to hear about your mum :( (((hugs)))

The biscuit thing is adorable though :)