emotional vs physical cheating

GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
so im watching a talk show right now. (okay yes its tyra please dont hate me) and she is talking about people having emotional affairs. I am not having an affair emotionally or physically but the topic got me wondering...

Tyra and her "experts" are saying that often an emotional affair is far more hurtful then a physical affair. Do you agree? Have any of you become emotionally connected to someone other then your significant other?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    so im watching a talk show right now. (okay yes its tyra please dont hate me) and she is talking about people having emotional affairs. I am not having an affair emotionally or physically but the topic got me wondering...

Tyra and her "experts" are saying that often an emotional affair is far more hurtful then a physical affair. Do you agree? Have any of you become emotionally connected to someone other then your significant other?

If your heart isn't with the one you're with...

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139

This one is divided between genders .......most woman will be more hurt by a violation of their trust and love via a partner having a strong emotional connection with someone ......... where as most guys will have a real problem with somebody playing hide the salami with their princess! ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

it depends on who's being cheated on. most guys are far more concerned about her physically cheating. i'd not care at all if my gal was sharing all her feelings with another guy and swooning over him as long as she's not fucking him and still putting out for me. this is becos biologically speaking, the man needs to worry more about expending his resources to care for another man's offspring.

to women, the emotional fidelity is what's key. they need that bond and when their man seeks it elsewhere, it seems to hurt them badly. they seem to worry less about their guy banging his intern when they see him come home happy to see her and loving her. it's when he gets distant and withdrawn and shares his emotions elsewhere that women start to get upset. biolgogically and evolutionarily speaking, they are more concerned about being able to count on his support in raising the children they have than him getting his casual jollies off elsewhere now and again.
  • it depends on who's being cheated on. most guys are far more concerned about her physically cheating. i'd not care at all if my gal was sharing all her feelings with another guy and swooning over him as long as she's not fucking him and still putting out for me. this is becos biologically speaking, the man needs to worry more about expending his resources to care for another man's offspring.

to women, the emotional fidelity is what's key. they need that bond and when their man seeks it elsewhere, it seems to hurt them badly. they seem to worry less about their guy banging his intern when they see him come home happy to see her and loving her. it's when he gets distant and withdrawn and shares his emotions elsewhere that women start to get upset. biolgogically and evolutionarily speaking, they are more concerned about being able to count on his support in raising the children they have than him getting his casual jollies off elsewhere now and again.
    so true. Well said. There are many women that I've known that totally hit your description on the head. I personally would be pissed in both instances.
    so true. Well said. There are many women that I've known that totally hit your description on the head. I personally would be pissed in both instances.

well i dont think anybody is particularly happy with either option, but the one seems to be harder than the other depending on who the cheated is.

it's like in high fidelity where he's fine until he finds out she's nailing someone else. i went through the same thing. the breakup was hard but once i found out she was getting on the pill (which id urged her to do) so she could fuck her new man i flipped the hell out.
  • well i dont think anybody is particularly happy with either option, but the one seems to be harder than the other depending on who the cheated is.

it's like in high fidelity where he's fine until he finds out she's nailing someone else. i went through the same thing. the breakup was hard but once i found out she was getting on the pill (which id urged her to do) so she could fuck her new man i flipped the hell out.
    agreed. I'd have to say that a physical affair would make me mad, but I'd be more like. Have a nice life f-er. However if it were emotional I would get all wrapped up in it and possibly question myself. Emotional would be way harder for me to get over and trust again. Maybe I am girly after all ;)
  • It's not a good road to go down. I know. I know it's possible to love 2 people, but generally there is a reason why.

In my case it was the lack of love at home. I was always looking for a connection outside of the home.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    agreed. I'd have to say that a physical affair would make me mad, but I'd be more like. Have a nice life f-er. However if it were emotional I would get all wrapped up in it and possibly question myself. Emotional would be way harder for me to get over and trust again. Maybe I am girly after all ;)

sounds like it... you're such a chick! im the opposite, for emtional i'd go "eh, of course, i didn't want to listen to that crap." but physical and i start to second guess myself.
  • ok they say women cheat b/c of a lack of emotional connection and men because of physical attraction...but you know what they are both awful and hurtful. cheating is cheating, isn't it??
  • so im watching a talk show right now. (okay yes its tyra please dont hate me) and she is talking about people having emotional affairs. I am not having an affair emotionally or physically but the topic got me wondering...

I think I would have to choke a bitch-boy if he went elsewhere for emotional relationship needs...

if he fucked someone else, i think I would be a bit bitchy about getting his ass tested, and be a whole lot merciless about making him feel like shit.

but clearly - it wouldnt be a deal breaker...like an emotional connection to another woman would be. that would hurt and there would be no coming back from that.

it implies that I was just a fuck bag. and that is really not cool, if i am emotionally invested then he better be too.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    BrotherPit wrote:
    ok they say women cheat b/c of a lack of emotional connection and men because of physical attraction...but you know what they are both awful and hurtful. cheating is cheating, isn't it??

well, if you wanna get complicated, what is cheating? is her letting some guy kiss her for a second when drunk cheating if she stops it once she realizes what's going on? is flirting cheating? what about having deep conversations about one's dreams or disappointments?
  • I think I would have to choke a bitch-boy if he went elsewhere for emotional relationship needs...

if he fucked someone else, i think I would be a bit bitchy about getting his ass tested, and be a whole lot merciless about making him feel like shit.

but clearly - it wouldnt be a deal breaker...like an emotional connection to another woman would be. that would hurt and there would be no coming back from that.
    it implies that I was just a fuck bag. and that is really not cool, if i am emotionally invested then he better be too.
    i love this response!
  • upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    gue_barium wrote:
    If your heart isn't with the one you're with...

what about:

Love the One You’re With
    by Stephen Stills

If you’re down and confused, and you don’t remember who you’re talkin’ to. Concentration slip away, ‘cause your baby is so far away.

Well there’s a rose in the fisted glove and the eagle flies with the dove, and if you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with, love the one you’re with, love the one you’re with, love the one you’re with.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    How is Tyra looking today?
    You've changed your place in this world!
    I think I would have to choke a bitch-boy if he went elsewhere for emotional relationship needs...

well what are wives if not hired long term prostitutes/housekeepers?
  • well, if you wanna get complicated, what is cheating? is her letting some guy kiss her for a second when drunk cheating if she stops it once she realizes what's going on? is flirting cheating? what about having deep conversations about one's dreams or disappointments?
    no on the deep conversations. I love to have deep convos with my friends. I feel like I know them better and can be the best friend I can be to them.
  • well what are wives if not hired long term prostitutes/housekeepers?
    my husband got sorely burned if i was the hired housekeeper.
  • well what are wives if not hired long term prostitutes/housekeepers?

dude, I agree if by that same notion men are loan officers.

of course, this is implying that i clean the house and fuck when i am not in the mood...

my bf cleans with me (sometimes more than I do) and well, honestly I am very rarely not in the mood...

it's a release for women too.

when I said fuck bag - i meant it in the idea that physically he 'needs a hole" but for talking well that isn't what i am for...
    seriously though, I dont do the whole "tell me what you're thinking" bullshit talking...I am more like a dude/buddy...so honestly I would be major surprised if my bf was emotionally attached to someone else.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    no on the deep conversations. I love to have deep convos with my friends. I feel like I know them better and can be the best friend I can be to them.

i know, im just saying cheating, especially emotional cheating, isnt very easy to define.
    dude, I agree if by that same notion men are loan officers.

of course, this is implying that i clean the house and fuck when i am not in the mood...

my bf cleans with me (sometimes more than I do) and well, honestly I am very rarely not in the mood...

it's a release for women too.

when I said fuck bag - i meant it in the idea that physically he 'needs a hole" but for talking well that isn't what i am for...
    seriously though, I dont do the whole "tell me what you're thinking" bullshit talking...I am more like a dude/buddy...so honestly I would be major surprised if my bf was emotionally attached to someone else.

i was just fucking around and being a dick. i know what you mean.
  • i was just fucking around and being a dick. i know what you mean.

well in that case- i could use your dick, provided we don't really have conversations (as specified above)...and then if my bf ever decides that he wants to try another flavor, I can't give him too much shit about it. ;)
    well in that case- i could use your dick, provided we don't really have conversations (as specified above)...and then if my bf ever decides that he wants to try another flavor, I can't give him too much shit about it. ;)

except, as i pointed out, you getting physical with another guy is to him what him getting emotionally involved with another woman is to you.

to him, it means that you're just using him as a paycheck/emotional punching bag when you're on the rag. that you don't desire him and he doesn't please you physically. a huge deal to a guy. that was the point. men and women are opposites on this one.
  • so im watching a talk show right now. (okay yes its tyra please dont hate me) and she is talking about people having emotional affairs. I am not having an affair emotionally or physically but the topic got me wondering...

That's just silly. I do it all the time but I call it a crush.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063

but clearly - it wouldnt be a deal breaker...

So you'd let your boyfriend fuck other girls as long as he doesn't get emotionally involved? Wow, I wish my girl was this open minded and/or have low enough self-esteem to take my cheating ass back afterwards....Unfortunately in my case, it is CLEARLY a deal breaker..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • except, as i pointed out, you getting physical with another guy is to him what him getting emotionally involved with another woman is to you.

to him, it means that you're just using him as a paycheck/emotional punching bag when you're on the rag. that you don't desire him and he doesn't please you physically. a huge deal to a guy. that was the point. men and women are opposites on this one.

yeah...I know I got your point. but wouldn't it be a really smart way of proving your point to my bf who has never heard your point???

:D oh yeah, that's logic. :D

I like to say "nail file" instead of emotional punching bag...

I am kidding. seriously not really a bitch...

but I think that I would have similar feelings of being undesirable, and I would wonder about my abilities if he physically cheated - I would just be more apt to get over those feelings and maybe turn very passive aggressive about the affair - but once again not a deal breaker...I get it that it would equate to emotional affairs to a woman, but I wonder if your style of man would respond to emotional affairs similarly??

I dont think my question made sense...sorry...
    yeah...I know I got your point. but wouldn't it be a really smart way of proving your point to my bf who has never heard your point???

:D oh yeah, that's logic. :D

I like to say "nail file" instead of emotional punching bag...

I am kidding. seriously not really a bitch...

but I think that I would have similar feelings of being undesirable, and I would wonder about my abilities if he physically cheated - I would just be more apt to get over those feelings and maybe turn very passive aggressive about the affair - but once again not a deal breaker...I get it that it would equate to emotional affairs to a woman, but I wonder if your style of man would respond to emotional affairs similarly??

I dont think my question made sense...sorry...

i think a guy would get suspicious or jealous, but see nothing wrong until or unless you started sleeping with the other guy.
  • The Champ wrote:
    So you'd let your boyfriend fuck other girls as long as he doesn't get emotionally involved? Wow, I wish my girl was this open minded and/or have low enough self-esteem to take my cheating ass back afterwards....Unfortunately in my case, it is CLEARLY a deal breaker..

woah, low self esteem red flag.

um, nope I don't "let" my boyfriend do anything. it is a matter of him being an adult. if he CHOSE to fuck another girl, I would of course be disappointed...and upset. I would not want him near me with a spottled up dick until it was proved safe. I would maybe hit him really hard in the sac, give him a blue ball treat whatever and be able to constantly allude to his cheating moment.

it would obviously change the dynamic of our relationship, and I would have a level of power that would actually turn me into the type of bitch that I don't like...but in all honesty, that would play out.

but I would still be with him...because my sig other is a person that I really love and care deeply about. because his CHOICE was a mistake, and there was no real vested interest in this other female.

maybe it's like i would be horrible about it but once the scent figuratively dissipates, I think all told we have more together emotionally than one bad trip could shake.

of course, if it becomes a habit that says something entirely different about the dynamic that I thought we had.

does that make sense??
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832

i just added u on facebook
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    woah, low self esteem red flag.

um, nope I don't "let" my boyfriend do anything. it is a matter of him being an adult. if he CHOSE to fuck another girl, I would of course be disappointed...and upset. I would not want him near me with a spottled up dick until it was proved safe. I would maybe hit him really hard in the sac, give him a blue ball treat whatever and be able to constantly allude to his cheating moment.

it would obviously change the dynamic of our relationship, and I would have a level of power that would actually turn me into the type of bitch that I don't like...but in all honesty, that would play out.

but I would still be with him...because my sig other is a person that I really love and care deeply about. because his CHOICE was a mistake, and there was no real vested interest in this other female.

maybe it's like i would be horrible about it but once the scent figuratively dissipates, I think all told we have more together emotionally than one bad trip could shake.

of course, if it becomes a habit that says something entirely different about the dynamic that I thought we had.

does that make sense??

Yes, it makes sense, but it's like you're already making excuses for him. Of course he'd tell you that it's a one time mistake, but more than likely, if he is/was willing to do it once, he'll do it again. Especially if he got away with the first time! Are you kidding, he'll be fucking like a little bunny rabbit and know you'll forgive him. Or i'm not sure what you mean by 'habit.' Is twice a habit, or every now and again considered a habit and thus not okay with you?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Bottom line as far as I can see? If you're keeping it from your partner then it's cheating. (well not their suprise birthday party obviously!) But if you're keeping it from them because you know it would change how they see you, break the trust they have in you, be hurt by your actions. It's cheating. If you're not telling it's because you know the outcome. So if you develop a great emotional connection with someone else and your partner knows about it and they're not uncomfortable with it, then it's not cheating. Cheating would be when you do something that you know your partner would neither be happy about or condone. I know plenty of guys who's wifes and girlfriends have started internet romances and the guys have been devestated about it so I'm not sure that I agree that it's different for guys than girls. And I have women friends whose partners have cheated but it's more important to them that they don't lose the father of their children. I think as you get older you have different wants and needs from a relationship. Personally if I found out that I was being cheated on either physically OR emotionally I'd be kicking that arse to the curb. AND more importantly if I found out you were LYING to me your arse would be gone too. And that would apply to friendships as much as relationships.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift