Cigarette Littering!!

AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Why oh why do people just toss their cigarette butts on the ground? So rude and disgusting. I *HATE* it.
This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I hate that too..especially when there is a trash receptacle around for cigarette butts.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Why oh why do people just toss their cigarette butts on the ground? So rude and disgusting. I *HATE* it.

I usually just tear off the cherry and pocket them until I get to a trash can. Still disgusting, but at least its not littering.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I cannot STAND that.
    You are littering!
    And when they toss them out their car windows???
    I want to stop my car, pick it up and run up and toss it in the window.
    Ick.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I cannot STAND that.
    You are littering!
    And when they toss them out their car windows???
    I want to stop my car, pick it up and run up and toss it in the window.
    Ick.

It's funny you said that. There was an incident on my way home today that prompted this thread. I was at a stoplight when the woman in the car next to me blatanly dropped her cigarette out the window. Since both our windows were down, I called out to her, "You dropped something!" She looked at me and responded, "Whatever."

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    My new neighbor in my condo's smokes.........he leaves his cigarrette butts right on the top stair before we get to the entry way (porch). Everyday when I come home from work his cig butt is there...............and everyday I use a napkin to pick it up and put it on his doormatt. I'm a hater........I could choose to ignore it (like I do with a lot of things) but this thing just bugs the crap out of me!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    years ago i lived at the beach and one morning after a big rainstorm i took a walk down to the beach.....the whole thing was covered in garbage, but mostly cig butts :mad: it's was gross.....good for you paperplates....at least you have respect for your fellow man and the earth we exist upon....:)
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    PJPixie wrote:
    My new neighbor in my condo's smokes.........he leaves his cigarrette butts right on the top stair before we get to the entry way (porch). Everyday when I come home from work his cig butt is there...............and everyday I use a napkin to pick it up and put it on his doormatt. I'm a hater........I could choose to ignore it (like I do with a lot of things) but this thing just bugs the crap out of me!!
    Next time stick it up his as....I mean, toss it in his mailbox.
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I always honk at people when they toss the cigarette butts out the car window.

I remember last fall when there were some fires burning in Malibu, and someone tossed out a butt....I reminded her of the fires!

Its sad that people get defensive when you call them out....what excuse could they have to justify such an action?

Anytime I start crap with another driver, my girlfriend reminds me that 1 out of 10 drivers in L.A. have guns, so I have toned-down my act a bit.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Next time stick it up his as....I mean, toss it in his mailbox.
    :p

the old "butt in the butt" trick!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I always honk at people when they toss the cigarette butts out the car window.

I remember last fall when there were some fires burning in Malibu, and someone tossed out a butt....I reminded her of the fires!

Its sad that people get defensive when you call them out....what excuse could they have to justify such an action?

Anytime I start crap with another driver, my girlfriend reminds me that 1 out of 10 drivers in L.A. have guns, so I have toned-down my act a bit.

Eh...that's only a 10% chance...I say go for it. It sure felt good to call this chick out on her cigarette littering. In my opinion it's like a big "FUCK YOU" to planet Earth.

Eh...that's only a 10% chance...I say go for it. It sure felt good to call this chick out on her cigarette littering. In my opinion it's like a big "FUCK YOU" to planet Earth.

I know its only a 10% chance, but based on the number of times I honk at people, I am WELL overdue!
    :)
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    People just seem to litter a lot period....It drives me crazy when I see someone walking down the street holding a water bottle or soda can and they will just drop it. Don't litter my street fuckers....
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    I usually just tear off the cherry and pocket them until I get to a trash can. Still disgusting, but at least its not littering.

Good for you!! :D Now, if only everyone was that considerate!

i've always wanted to carry around bags of garbage and when i see someone littering, follow them home and dump my garbage on their front yard
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Good for you!! :D Now, if only everyone was that considerate!

Its a habit that carried over from years of working on people's homes and knowing you'd catch holy hell if the boss saw you toss a but on their property. Old habits, (including smoking) die hard. :(
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
    Its a habit that carried over from years of working on people's homes and knowing you'd catch holy hell if the boss saw you toss a but on their property. Old habits, (including smoking) die hard. :(

Well at least one of them is a good habit!

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    cig butts on the ground
    just a lookin for a home
    raspberry beret
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299

You think that's gross? Listen to this nasty story:
    Today, some people parked in front of the restaurant where I work (parking for restaurant patrons only), got out of the car and spit his whole wad of chewing tobacco right in front of our building. Then he took a swig of water, swished it around and spit it out, and repeated the process! It was so disgusting!!! Then he and the lady he was with booked it in the other direction. They were seriously running. I went outside and yelled, "Are you planning on coming in for lunch???" They obviously weren't... just liked the easy parking spot. Anyway, the dirtball yelled back, "Yeah in about an hour..." I said, "oh, we'll be closed in an hour and this parking is for restaurant guests only..." So he moved. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it if he hadn't spit right in front of the place.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
    Today, some people parked in front of the restaurant where I work (parking for restaurant patrons only), got out of the car and spit his whole wad of chewing tobacco right in front of our building. Then he took a swig of water, swished it around and spit it out, and repeated the process! It was so disgusting!!! Then he and the lady he was with booked it in the other direction. They were seriously running. I went outside and yelled, "Are you planning on coming in for lunch???" They obviously weren't... just liked the easy parking spot. Anyway, the dirtball yelled back, "Yeah in about an hour..." I said, "oh, we'll be closed in an hour and this parking is for restaurant guests only..." So he moved. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it if he hadn't spit right in front of the place.

you should've had his car towed.....disgusting fuck deserved it....:mad:
  • ringoringo Posts: 504

At least the wad of tobacco chew will be gone by the next rain. Cigarette butts will be for a lot longer.

:( Sadly, I dumped my fair share of butts on this planet while I was a smoker. Uck, I don't know why I ever started.

At the intersection near my house there are so many cigarette butts. I'd love to shove each one of them down someone's throat but before I could do that I guess I would need to eat a thousand myself. Damn that's a lot but it's probably on the conservative side. YUCK!
    d'oh
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    cutback wrote:
    you should've had his car towed.....disgusting fuck deserved it....:mad:

That would've been funny. Maybe if the bosses weren't in, I could've done that.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    This type of stuff drives me up a wall. Littering of any sort is just ridiculous.
    Cigarette butts being flicked onto the ground or anywhere is something that is way out of control, as in the great numbers in which it happens. Millions if not billions of cigarette butts have, and are now as we speak not being disposed of properly, and that is probably within everyones own region.
    It is a fact that cigarette butts are the most littered item on earth.
    Globally the weight of all cigarette butts that are littering this Mother Earth is staggering.

My source - http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/cigarettelitterhome.html
    Most cigarette filters we all think are cotton are not cotton at all but rather a plastic fiber. It takes a cigarette butt just as long to degrade (as in degradable, biodegrade, photodegradable, photodecompsition) as other forms of plastic.

Degradable: susceptible to chemical breakdown.

Degrade: to break down a compound; to become degraded, weakened, deteriorate, to decompose.

Biodegradable: capable of decaying through the action of living organisms.

Photodegradable: capable of being broken down by light.

Photodecomposition: The breaking down of molecules by radiant energy.

Definitions from the Random House Dictionary, 2nd edition, Unabridged.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    This type of stuff drives me up a wall. Littering of any sort is just ridiculous.
    Cigarette butts being flicked onto the ground or anywhere is something that is way out of control, as in the great numbers in which it happens. Millions if not billions of cigarette butts have, and are now as we speak not being disposed of properly, and that is probably within everyones own region.
    It is a fact that cigarette butts are the most littered item on earth.
    Globally the weight of all cigarette butts that are littering this Mother Earth is staggering.

My source - http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/cigarettelitterhome.html
    Most cigarette filters we all think are cotton are not cotton at all but rather a plastic fiber. It takes a cigarette butt just as long to degrade (as in degradable, biodegrade, photodegradable, photodecompsition) as other forms of plastic.

Degradable: susceptible to chemical breakdown.

Degrade: to break down a compound; to become degraded, weakened, deteriorate, to decompose.

Biodegradable: capable of decaying through the action of living organisms.

Photodegradable: capable of being broken down by light.

Photodecomposition: The breaking down of molecules by radiant energy.

Definitions from the Random House Dictionary, 2nd edition, Unabridged.

i am a big huge nerd.
    the word Photodecomposition is almost giving me an erection.
    g d i love this word.
    truly an outstanding word.
    i think i am wood, therefore i am.
    awesome.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006

I chew like a maniac and that guy was out of line. if you're going to chew and you want to get rid of it, find a bush, a trash can, or an empty bottle. Or, go to the damn restroom and 86 it. People like him are going to screw it up for people like me. I enjoy dipping at ball games and if dudes just indiscriminately spit it out wherever, people are going to start hassling me. Next thing you know, I'll be freezing my ass off outside with the smokers.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I toss them out of my car. Throw them were ever.
    I'll be back
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    People are lazy fuckers.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

yeah i hate it too, but ive been told i need to get over my self righteous bullshit. :D . for some reason some smokers dont see it as littering.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • libragirl wrote:
    People just seem to litter a lot period....It drives me crazy when I see someone walking down the street holding a water bottle or soda can and they will just drop it. Don't litter my street fuckers....

Exactly. I just hate all littering in general. There's absolutely no need for it.

As for cigerettes out the car window, you can get fined smoking while driving now so it doesn't happen as much these days.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Exactly. I just hate all littering in general. There's absolutely no need for it.

As for cigerettes out the car window, you can get fined smoking while driving now so it doesn't happen as much these days.

jeez, are you still allowed to rock out to the radio while driving? :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jeez, are you still allowed to rock out to the radio while driving? :p:D

I was just thinking the same thing. Its good but where does it end?