B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    but of course

its boston
    we pwn them- we win the 6th straight against this original 6 rival.

flurry of scoring

and how sweet was Shannys penalty shot ?

niiiiiiiiiiice

[size=+5] 6-1 [/size]
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Nice to see scoring from guys like Prucha, Cullen and Ortmeyer! Lets hope the momentum keeps up!

LETS GO RANGERS!!!
  • this is pretty cool stretch from a historical standpoint. between tonight and running through the end of february, all of the original six teams play the rangers.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    3 of the 6 within this week.

bos, tor det

that detroit game is a nice one to catch at MSG

:eek: i may have to check the status of tickets for that one :eek:

then the final 2-- chi & mtl in the final week of feb.

nice.

like moster said hopefully we can keep the momentum , and start knocking off some winning record teams .

oh yeah- 2 SH goals, in 1 game, the NYR ? ? :eek: :eek:
    platessmall.jpg
  • the chicago one is a nice time, 3:30 on a sunday afternoon, feb 18
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    WE NEED THE 3RD LINE TO HELP LIKE THIS

granted 3 goals is alot but if they score we usually win

good to see shanny put that in,,hopefully get him going again

same with prucha and cullen

and do ya see where cullen belongs 3rd line center

LET'S GO RANGERS!!
    whats exciting on top of the recent play ( granted - its only 2 games and its only philthadelphia and boston ) but :

there will definitely be some sort of signing before the deadline , to shake things up even more. :eek:

they better not even think of shipping prucha or tyutin outta town !

Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
    Blueshirt Bulletin

January 30, 2007

Orts and Shorts Rouse Ranger Rout

During the season-long search for second line partners to skate with Brendan Shanahan, who knew that the elements were already in place, that Shanahan himself was actually the odd man out? All it took was switching 14 around to 41, and wah-la -- a second line of speedy, hard-working, grinding forwards who get the puck deep and get the puck to the net. Petr Prucha had two goals and an assist, Matt Cullen had a goal (shorthanded) and two assists, and #41 Jed Ortmeyer had three assists as the Rangers' new second line combined for four goals (they set up Michal Rozsival's goal) to rout the Bruins 6-1 in Boston. Meanwhile, Shanahan, now playing with a pair of checkers in Blair Betts and Marcel Hossa, notched a goal himself -- a penalty shot after he was hooked and slashed during a shorthanded breakaway.

Ortmeyer's physical play was key in all three goals he assisted on as well as the line's fourth goal, which he helped set up too. He took a check along the right wing boards and fought through it, getting the puck deep to Prucha, whose centering pass banked into the net off a Bruin backchecker for the opening goal. He didn't get an assist on the huge goal the Rangers scored to retake the lead late in the first period, but he took a check deep in his own zone to start the breakout that led directly to it. He applied the forecheck in the corner that forced loose the puck that Cullen centered to Prucha for his second goal and a 3-1 lead early in the second period. And he used body positioning to shrug off Stan Chistov after he outskated two Bruins to get the puck in that same corner before centering for Cullen's shorthander.

This is exactly what we had in mind the other day, before the Philadelphia game, when we wrote, "A third line of Cullen centering Prucha and Ortmeyer is more likely to generate offense than Shanahan's second line. Cullen and Prucha have been linemates much of the season, and without having to worry about setting up Shanahan, they may be able to loosen up and fare well. Having the relentlessly hard working Ortmeyer forechecking and backchecking on their behalf will free them up even more." Although they didn't score in Philadelphia, the trio generated ten shots on goal. With their nine shots tonight, they are responsible for 19 of the team's 64 shots in the two games -- 30%. They have also been credited with six of 20 hits by forwards in the two games.

Just about everyone else played well too. The Rangers came out with purpose and never let up. The Bruins came on for a while after they equalized the score at 1-1 in the first period, but the Rangers did not show any fragility this time -- they regrouped and pressed on. Jaromir Jagr was a force for a second straight game, renewing the physical play we saw in Philadelphia. Dan Girardi had a standout performance on the night he was supposed to play in the AHL All-Star game. The only downers were Rozsival and Marek Malik, Rozsival suffering a sprained knee near the midway point of the game that sidelined him the rest of the way, and Malik suffering a sprained brain that sidelined his stick skills for much of the game, although he valiantly soldiered on.

If not for the heroics of the second line (yes, they are the second line, seeing as how they don't have to go against the other teams' best units like a third line typically does) and a late Michael Nylander goal, the power play would have been a downer again too -- when the game hung briefly in the balance in the first 25 minutes, the power play failed to win it, coming up empty on three big chances while the Bruins converted their only pre-garbage time advantage. Shanahan did not help matters by continually shooting from sharp angles, allowing Bruin netminders to gobble up his shots and stop the action. When they finally broke their schneid after stretching it to 0-for-30, the score was already 5-1, the penalty killers having already put up two goals of their own.

The Rangers appear to have rededicated themselves to this season since the all-star break. They dominated the game in Philadelphia, but could not put the Flyers away until the final buzzer. In Boston, they dominated on the scoreboard too, in a huge way, this time against a playoff contender, albeit one of the weaker ones. Their next test comes back at home at the Garden against another one of their direct playoff contenders, ditto on the road in Tampa. It doesn't let up after that, with a pair of back to back games against two of the league's top teams, Detroit and Jersey, and another pair of back to back games against two Eastern Conference playoff contenders.

It's going to be a dogfight the rest of the way, and the Rangers are going to have to post complete efforts like these last two games (well, complete if the power play started clicking) game in, game out the rest of the way to make this regular season a success.
    platessmall.jpg
    whoops

MAEA10301300213.jpg

a dozen looks of bewilderment

MAEA10601300310.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    whoops

MAEA10301300213.jpg

a dozen looks of bewilderment

MAEA10601300310.jpg

lol is that lou w/ the sox hat on?
    January 30, 2007

Injury Update

Michal Rozsival missed practice today with what the Rangers are calling a mild knee sprain (MCL) and is questionable for tomorrow night. Jaromir Jagr missed practice to take care of a dental problem, and Martin Straka, stricken in recent weeks by flu and back problems, was allowed to rest -- both are expected to play. Sam Weinman has some quotes by Petr Prucha and about Thomas Pock in his Rangers Report entry from practice today.
    platessmall.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    What Could Have Been (Had Crosby Been a Ranger). I know, I know. Some of you are probably rolling your eyes or just going "Oh come on!". Well, just give me a shot here. First of all, I am saying this as a hockey fan, not as a Rangers fan. Frankly, I am not even such a huge fan of Crosby and even if I strongly believe that the draft lottery was rigged that season, I am very thrilled as a Rangers fan to have Marc Staal, possibly a steal. I believe that the NHL wanted to revive the Pittsburgh Penguins and create a new Super Mario Era with Sid the Kid. If so many people guessed correct that the Penguins were going to get Crosby, I was one of them, then it was obvious, too obvious. Regardless, the intent was good, but it failed miserably. Hockey is still unpopular and the TV ratings for the All-Star game prove that. Also, why even bother putting the All-Star game in Dallas where it obviously would have gotten little attention? The All-Star game has to take place in large hockey markets. Keep it for the Original Six, it draws more ratings and more interest in general. Back to the point, Crosby ended up on a team that is financially unstable and may have to move. I mean, would you really want Crosby playing in Kansas City, MO? In Las Vegas? In Portland? Ehh, maybe that is more acceptable.

Sidney Crosby has to become the face of the NHL. He has to become the NHL's identity. He should be recognized as a top 50 young athlete in the world. How is that supposed to work when he is on a team that does not have any resources to market this guy properly and is on a not so popular NHL team? This is a time when the NHL is NOT growing. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the NHL WAS growing. When it was growing, Wayne Gretzky became an LA King, and he was greatly recognized. Mark Messier became a Rangers and hockey was starting to grow rapidly even further when he brought the Cup to the Big Apple.

Now, imagine if Crosby was on a big market team, in general. But to specify, imagine if Crosby was on the New York Rangers playing along Brendan Shanahan, Jaromir Jagr. If I heard correctly, the Penguins at Coyotes game sold out, or nearly did. Why? People want to see the Sid Kid. But, was that shown anywhere in particular? Did anyone make a big headline about a game being sold out just to watch Crosby? No. See, that is the problem. Big kid, small team. It's not supposed to work that way.

The New York Rangers generally draw good crowds on the road. Why? People love to see the big NY-metro area teams play. I was shocked when I attended the Panthers game against the Devils. It was nearly sold out! Not even the Devils can draw that kind of crowd at home. So, imagine if Crosby AND the Rangers came to town. People already want to see the Rangers, but they also get the bonus of watching Sid the Kid play with real stars as well.

If Crosby was a Ranger, you'd be seeing a lot more exposure. Why? The Rangers have all the resources available to create the fuss about him. The New York Times runs wires through other US national papers, so the stories in New York would run across the nation. The popular New York late night shows would treasure Sid the Kid. And, ESPN would definitely try to expose him as well. This would all mean big time popularity for Crosby which draws more popularity for the NHL.

Of course, I would be upset as a hockey fan if such a thing happened because I would say the lottery was rigged and the NHL needed to market Crosby. But, at least the "rigging" would have been worth to do for the NHL. If Messier managed to get the NHL on the map with the Rangers, so could have Crosby. And say if Crosby would win a Cup with the Rangers. It would be HUGE news across the US and in the sports world in general.

Yes, some of you may be upset at this discussion I brought up, especially Penguins fans, but I am talking in a hockey fan's point of view. I could apply this story by switching Rangers with Red Wings. Maybe the LA Kings would have been just as good, as they were with Gretzky. So there is no biased involved here. I think the NHL made a horrible choice by putting Crosby with the Penguins if it wanted to get the game popular. If the NHL thought that Crosby would pull a Mario Lemieux and would get hockey on the map with the Penguins. Wow. What a HUGE and PATHETIC mistake. And I am not even slamming the Penguins organization on this. It's not their fault. But, Crosby should have been used as a marketing tool for the NHL and right now...he is, but too unpopular. I truly beleive that things for the NHL would have been much different (in a very positive way) had Crosby been a Ranger.
    p.s. i didn't write that

BIG GAME TONIGHT BOYS!!!!!!!

LET'S GO RANGER'S!
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    What Could Have Been (Had Crosby Been a Ranger). I know, I know. Some of you are probably rolling your eyes or just going "Oh come on!". Well, just give me a shot here. First of all, I am saying this as a hockey fan, not as a Rangers fan. Frankly, I am not even such a huge fan of Crosby and even if I strongly believe that the draft lottery was rigged that season, I am very thrilled as a Rangers fan to have Marc Staal, possibly a steal. I believe that the NHL wanted to revive the Pittsburgh Penguins and create a new Super Mario Era with Sid the Kid. If so many people guessed correct that the Penguins were going to get Crosby, I was one of them, then it was obvious, too obvious. Regardless, the intent was good, but it failed miserably. Hockey is still unpopular and the TV ratings for the All-Star game prove that. Also, why even bother putting the All-Star game in Dallas where it obviously would have gotten little attention? The All-Star game has to take place in large hockey markets. Keep it for the Original Six, it draws more ratings and more interest in general. Back to the point, Crosby ended up on a team that is financially unstable and may have to move. I mean, would you really want Crosby playing in Kansas City, MO? In Las Vegas? In Portland? Ehh, maybe that is more acceptable.

Sidney Crosby has to become the face of the NHL. He has to become the NHL's identity. He should be recognized as a top 50 young athlete in the world. How is that supposed to work when he is on a team that does not have any resources to market this guy properly and is on a not so popular NHL team? This is a time when the NHL is NOT growing. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the NHL WAS growing. When it was growing, Wayne Gretzky became an LA King, and he was greatly recognized. Mark Messier became a Rangers and hockey was starting to grow rapidly even further when he brought the Cup to the Big Apple.

Now, imagine if Crosby was on a big market team, in general. But to specify, imagine if Crosby was on the New York Rangers playing along Brendan Shanahan, Jaromir Jagr. If I heard correctly, the Penguins at Coyotes game sold out, or nearly did. Why? People want to see the Sid Kid. But, was that shown anywhere in particular? Did anyone make a big headline about a game being sold out just to watch Crosby? No. See, that is the problem. Big kid, small team. It's not supposed to work that way.

The New York Rangers generally draw good crowds on the road. Why? People love to see the big NY-metro area teams play. I was shocked when I attended the Panthers game against the Devils. It was nearly sold out! Not even the Devils can draw that kind of crowd at home. So, imagine if Crosby AND the Rangers came to town. People already want to see the Rangers, but they also get the bonus of watching Sid the Kid play with real stars as well.

If Crosby was a Ranger, you'd be seeing a lot more exposure. Why? The Rangers have all the resources available to create the fuss about him. The New York Times runs wires through other US national papers, so the stories in New York would run across the nation. The popular New York late night shows would treasure Sid the Kid. And, ESPN would definitely try to expose him as well. This would all mean big time popularity for Crosby which draws more popularity for the NHL.

Of course, I would be upset as a hockey fan if such a thing happened because I would say the lottery was rigged and the NHL needed to market Crosby. But, at least the "rigging" would have been worth to do for the NHL. If Messier managed to get the NHL on the map with the Rangers, so could have Crosby. And say if Crosby would win a Cup with the Rangers. It would be HUGE news across the US and in the sports world in general.

Yes, some of you may be upset at this discussion I brought up, especially Penguins fans, but I am talking in a hockey fan's point of view. I could apply this story by switching Rangers with Red Wings. Maybe the LA Kings would have been just as good, as they were with Gretzky. So there is no biased involved here. I think the NHL made a horrible choice by putting Crosby with the Penguins if it wanted to get the game popular. If the NHL thought that Crosby would pull a Mario Lemieux and would get hockey on the map with the Penguins. Wow. What a HUGE and PATHETIC mistake. And I am not even slamming the Penguins organization on this. It's not their fault. But, Crosby should have been used as a marketing tool for the NHL and right now...he is, but too unpopular. I truly beleive that things for the NHL would have been much different (in a very positive way) had Crosby been a Ranger.

but we already have enough crybabies here

( rachunek , hall , malik )
    platessmall.jpg
  • RANGERS GIVE TKACHUK LOOK
    By LARRY BROOKS

January 31, 2007 -- The Rangers never were in the hunt for Craig Conroy, the center who went from Los Angeles to Calgary on Monday for a second-rounder, a fourth-rounder and throw-in (my goodness!) Jamie Lundmark. The Rangers had no interest whatsoever in assuming a contract obligation of $2.394 million for next season, less because of the money than the implied commitment to the 35-year-old athlete.

But that doesn't mean obtaining a center to work in tandem with Brendan Shanahan isn't management's priority. It is, unquestionably.

The questions, however, are: a) how quickly the Rangers will move; b) how much they're willing to pay for a salve for the season-long open wound; and, c) whether significantly improved play over the next couple of weeks will tilt the front office into more of a go-for-it-now approach with this veteran top-heavy team?

Peter Forsberg himself seems to think he's too much of a risk. Who are the Rangers to argue? If the Flyers star does pronounce himself well enough to be traded, he's more likely than not headed to a Western Conference contender with assets to spare. The risk-reward ratio for the Rangers is off the charts here.

Instead, as the Blueshirts prepare for tonight's Garden match against the Maple Leafs, Plan A appears to be St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk, who, in the final season of a contract under which he earns $5.7 million, has played a significant amount of center for the Blues this season while re-elevating his game. Tkachuk, 34 in March, has a no-trade clause, but it's believed he would waive it to become a rental player with the Blueshirts.

But the cost isn't going to be at all cheap, even if it's understood that Tkachuk would return to St. Louis after becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Blues president John Davidson isn't going to do the Rangers any favors here. He's going to be seeking a bounty for Tkachuk. The Rangers insist they will refuse to yield any of their most-prized assets. In addition to Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Bobby Sanguinetti and Ryan Callahan, that list also now includes Petr Prucha.

The Post has learned the Rangers have inquired into a couple of Plan B alternatives. The Blueshirts, who have been engaged in various trade discussions with the Blackhawks since late October, have inquired about 35-year-old Bryan Smolinski, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. We're told Chicago would like to include 34-year-old defenseman Jassen Cullimore, who has one year remaining on his contract at $1.9 million, in a trade.

In addition, the Blueshirts have talked to Nashville about 26-year-old Josef Vasicek, who also is eligible to become a free agent this July. It is believed the Predators have expressed at least a passing interest in either Aaron Ward or Karel Rachunek. This might explain why Thomas Pock was the automatic seventh man out the past two games, though he is expected to play tonight in place of Michal Rozsival, who sprained a knee during Monday's 6-1 victory in Boston.

The Islanders inquired about Darius Kasparaitis over the weekend, asking if the Blueshirts would place him on re-entry waivers so Garth Snow's club could claim him at a 50-percent discount rate, The Post has confirmed. The Rangers, however, have no interest whatsoever in carrying the $1.5 million of dead cap space next season that a re-entry claim would mandate.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Bump,

from the garden - no rozival (knee) and hollweg is a healthy scratch. warmups in 10 minutes or so..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    the Rangers need to bench Malik a few games- and definitely get the fuck rid of Rachunek already .

It was because of Rachunek that the Leafs and Sundin got that break away.

why is henrik so unbeatable in shootouts but he couldnt stop Sundin ? ? :confused:
    platessmall.jpg
  • I was a few feet from Shanahan when he said this:

"The analogy I always say: the NBA didn't let people grab (Michael) Jordan by the waist every time he went up for a jumpshot. "Jags has played through that all season long. I've been amazed by it. It's not just tonight's reference; it's every night. He could draw a penalty every shift he's on. ... It's just that he has the puck so much, can draw so many, it's almost that the refs don't want to give out five or six penalties, because he really protects the puck well it's like a different set of rules."

"I don't know why they ignore the hooks and the holds and the chops and the late hits on Jaromir Jagr. "I don't know what it is. All I know is it exists. It didn't happen to Steve Yzerman, didn't happen to Niklas Lidstrom, never happened to Mike Modano, Joe Sakic. ... There's a different set of rules the referees have for him. It's something I've seen every night and I guess it's time to say something on his behalf. He doesn't complain. He's not going to complain, but I'll do it for him."
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the Rangers need to bench Malik a few games- and definitely get the fuck rid of Rachunek already .

It was because of Rachunek that the Leafs and Sundin got that break away.

why is henrik so unbeatable in shootouts but he couldnt stop Sundin ? ? :confused:

dont forget about the boarding call on him for their first goal

and the second goal what a pussy shot towards the net,, then u dont pick up the guy behind u ?? i don't get it
    I was a few feet from Shanahan when he said this:

"The analogy I always say: the NBA didn't let people grab (Michael) Jordan by the waist every time he went up for a jumpshot. "Jags has played through that all season long. I've been amazed by it. It's not just tonight's reference; it's every night. He could draw a penalty every shift he's on. ... It's just that he has the puck so much, can draw so many, it's almost that the refs don't want to give out five or six penalties, because he really protects the puck well it's like a different set of rules."

"I don't know why they ignore the hooks and the holds and the chops and the late hits on Jaromir Jagr. "I don't know what it is. All I know is it exists. It didn't happen to Steve Yzerman, didn't happen to Niklas Lidstrom, never happened to Mike Modano, Joe Sakic. ... There's a different set of rules the referees have for him. It's something I've seen every night and I guess it's time to say something on his behalf. He doesn't complain. He's not going to complain, but I'll do it for him."

a few feet away from Shanny ?

X, are you a NYR beat writer- and didnt want to tell us?
    :confused: ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    a few feet away from Shanny ?

X, are you a NYR beat writer- and didnt want to tell us?
    :confused: ?

the answer is your private message inbox.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    Blueshirt Bulletin - Shanny goes off on refs

January 31, 2007

Shanahan Whistles Refs -- Again [Links & Prospect Park Added 11:00 AM]

Don't forget tonight's Rangers 4 on 4 live online panel discussion, hosted by Mitch Beck and featuring Daily News reporter John Dellapina, Inside Hockey's Kevin Greenstein, and defenseman Dalyn Flatt of the Brampton Battalion, currently leading all Ranger prospects in penalty minutes. Join us from 7-9 PM this evening right here at BlueshirtBulletin.com.

Brendan Shanahan went on a tirade after the Rangers' 2-1 home loss to Toronto about the way NHL officials treat Jaromir Jagr. "Such disrespect from the referees," he said. "He gets mauled every game. I don't know what it is, if there's some sort of prejudice again him or what the deal is. Guys hit him late, guys hit him high, guys hook his hands. He doesn't complain -- he just goes out and plays and plays and plays. And the referees just seem to have a different set of rules about the way people get to play against him. I'm trying to eliminate the reasons why. But he could draw a penalty almost every shift because of guys chopping at his hands, reaching in on him. It's all season, it's not just tonight. It's like a difference set of rules. The refs allow more on him. If he was 170 pounds and fell down every time someone reached in on him -- the standards should be the same for all players regardless of their size and strength and ability."

Shanahan made a comparison between Jagr and other stars. "The NBA didn't let people grab [Michael] Jordan by the waist every time he went up for a jump shot," he said. "I've played with other superstars and they get a whole lot more respect than this guy. Mats Sundin goes down first period, first shift -- penalty. Jaromir Jagr's gotta carry guys on his back all season long. It didn't happen to Steve Yzerman, didn't happen to Nik Lidstrom, it never happened to Mike Modano. Joe Sakic -- I've seen it all. There's a certain amount of respect -- guys who have the puck on their stick a lot draw penalties. Jags never draws penalties. There's a different set of rules refs have for him. It's a different set of rules for Jaromir Jagr."

He compared the bias to what Slava Fetisov experienced when he was one of the first players to come over from the Soviet Union. "I've just never seen a star player get ignored [like Jagr]," he said. "Not since Fetisov came over from Russia have I ever seen a star player get ignored by the referees. I know why they were ignoring him [Fetisov] back then. But I don't know why they're ignoring the hooks and the holds and the chops and the late hits on Jaromir Jagr. He's been a great player for this league for a long time. I don't know what it is, all I know is that it exists."

He emphasized that he wasn't talking solely about tonight's game, even though the officiating was one-sided, as it usually is when the Rangers play a Canadian team. "It's a cumulative effect," he said. "They had six power plays to our two. Specifically in the second period, there were some plays where Jags had the puck in the offensive zone where he could have drawn two or three penalties. But it's something I've seen every night. It's time to say something on his behalf. He doesn't complain, but I'll do it for him. I don't think he wants to [dive] -- I don't think it's in him. I would never tell a player to do that."

Jagr himself did not complain about how the officiating affected him, but he did have one sarcastic remark about the officiating overall. "They had more power plays -- I don't know how that happened," he said. "Wow! Sometimes they [the refs] just close their eyes. That's where they [the Leafs] get their chances."

Shanahan, who as we all well know by know was instrumental in helping to set new standards of officiating after the lockout, believes things are starting to resemble the old days. "I wouldn't be happy if the refs put the whistle in the pocket for both teams," he said. "I think the rules should be called regardless of the score. The call on Matt Cullen at the end of the game was the right call. I just don't think they were calling that same play [for us]. The calls in general have dropped -- we're starting to creep back to the way it was. I say that not as a player who just lost a game, who's upset about the Jagr situation. It's something I've felt watching games on TV. We're certainly creeping back the other way a little bit with the first tug, the first reach -- crosschecking is right back in the game."

Tom Renney was caught a bit by surprise when learning what Shanahan said. "Shanny said that, did he?" he said. "Shanny was really upset tonight, huh?" But he picked up the rallying cry all the same. "You gotta wonder," he said. "I just watched probably eleven clips where the opposition held sticks, held jerseys, had face-off interference, cross-checked -- what did I miss?" You missed some uncalled trips, hooks, roughing, and interference -- at least six more instances in total. "That about sums it up. I sure saw a lot of penalties tonight that were non-calls. You look at the footage, you say, 'Wow!' There's three faceoff interference non-calls, there's two holding the jersey non-calls, there's a couple holding the stick calls, there's a crosschecking call -- and all of sudden you're asking yourself what happened?"

Asked specifically about any prejudice toward Jagr, Renney said, "I don't know if it's a bias, I don't know what happens to other teams, to their best players." He said he might take it up with league VP Colin Campbel. "I probably would have a talk with him," he said. "They're good at that -- as long as your respect the process and don't go crazy on them, they're open to that kind of feedback. They need it, and we need the rationalization back." Although he regretted the game being taken out of his team's hands, he wouldn't use it as an excuse. "It was one of those games where it would have been nice if maybe we could have decided the outcome," he said. "[But] I'm not going to justify a loss by that, that's for sure -- we lost the hockey game, period."

Nevertheless, he felt the Rangers played a good game but lost because the bounces went the other way, and both of his stars felt the same way. "Solid performance," Renney said. "Solid effort. A couple of mistakes were capitalized on. I thought we played a good hockey game, one we could have won. If we play like this the balance of the games, we'll win more than we'll lose." One of the bad breaks was a centering pass by Alexei Ponikarovsky that deflected in off Aaron Ward's skate in front. A couple of other bad breaks were goal mouth chances by Shanahan that were deflected away, one before the Leafs took the lead, one after.

But the deciding goal was not a bad break, it was a bad error -- Karel Rachunek's pass to Martin Straka in front of the net was cut off by Ian White and quickly turned around into a breakaway pass to Sundin that he converted for the game winner. While Rachunek was a bit guilty of admiring his pass, the responsibility for Sundin belonged to his defense partner, Thomsa Pock, who initially started back into the neutral zone but then inexplicably turned back into the Leafs' zone. "You've got to cut the ice in half as the off-side defenseman and be in front of something that might come out," Renney said of the play. But he said that Pock wasn't benched for the costly miscue. "We were getting to the short strokes, so we decided to shorten the back end and try to generate more offense. I realize that's Tommy's forte but -- it's a learning experience [for him]."

The Rangers have now given up only eight goals (excluding one empty net goal) in their past six games (all Henrik Lundqvist). But they're only 3-3 in those games because they've scored only six goals in five of those six games (plus six in the sixth game)... In addition to Pock, Dan Girardi and Colton Orr saw no ice time after Sundin's go-ahead goal, while Adam Hall, Marcel Hossa, Blair Betts, and Jason Krog saw limited ice time rotating through Shanahan's line -- they generated just two shots on goal throughout the game (Shanahan also had four power play shots)... The line of Matt Cullen, Petr Prucha, and Jed Ortmeyer were matched up against Toronto's top line much of the time, and played them even (they scored on the power play and against the first line) -- although they were outshot 9-7 and Prucha took three penalties.
    platessmall.jpg
    the answer is your private message inbox.

what am i?? wood???????? lol
  • the answer lies in your inbox..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    more than 3 people ,, i think your percentage is wrong ,,although bathy does have the most by far , and your off by 85 pages
    and yes not many care about the sport in the U.S ( their loss)

its 10am beer time in boston enjoy lol

you really need to figure out how to get more posts on the page

although i doubt you'll be able to do it ;)

Bathgate66 wrote:
    wow that rhymes

Although the Bruins have only four fewer points than the Rangers, they have really struggled of late, losing nine of their last 12 games. They are only 2-3-0 since the loss at The Garden and have been outscored 20-10 in those games. In their last two outings, a home-and-home series with Ottawa interrupted by the All-Star break, the B's were outscored 6-1 and endured a scoreless stretch of 115:06, which finally ended with Glen Murray's third-period goal at Scotiabank Place on Saturday.

Boston ranks 29th out of 30 teams in overall defense and the only team below them is the Flyers squad that fell to the Rangers on Saturday. The primary difference between the B's and Flyers, however, is Boston's ability to score goals. The Bruins rank 18th in the league in goals per game .

so my team sucks... yet is only 4 points behind your amazing team

and we've lost 9 of 12

so the math works out that your team sucks too huh?

and congrats to you 3

besides me you actually had another person visit this thread

although I think moster78 was just drunk

this thread is pretty much bathgate talking to himself

go brooins
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    but of course

its boston
    we pwn them- we win the 6th straight against this original 6 rival.

flurry of scoring

and how sweet was Shannys penalty shot ?

niiiiiiiiiiice

[size=+5] 6-1 [/size]

dude... you're 40

please never use the word pwn again

:)
    bostonlou wrote:
    you really need to figure out how to get more posts on the page

although i doubt you'll be able to do it ;)

so my team sucks... yet is only 4 points behind your amazing team

and we've lost 9 of 12

so the math works out that your team sucks too huh?

and congrats to you 3

besides me you actually had another person visit this thread

although I think moster78 was just drunk

this thread is pretty much bathgate talking to himself

go brooins

this coming from a married man w/ 10,000 posts

who is known as the board clown
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    this coming from a married man w/ 10,000 posts

who is known as the board clown

i don't get what you're point is?

what does me being married or 10K posts have to do with anything as a reply to my message?

don't be jealous of my fame
    bostonlou wrote:
    i don't get what you're point is?

what does me being married or 10K posts have to do with anything as a reply to my message?

don't be jealous of my fame

i go to bed everynight wishing i was you