B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    long red wrote:
    there's an Islanders thread?!??!

i hate hate HATE Avery and I cant wait til we play u guys again so i can see him get flattened.

and that was a damn ugly break too....yikes...another defenseman down.

the inherent joke was that there is indeed no isles thread.

thats cool.

i hate cliches' and all,

but there is something to the " You Cant Beat Us " chants .
    We have yet to even compete with your guys as of yet this year, but thats been typical of this years NYR- playing catch up- or should i say Catsup- cuz its been bloody ugly .
    Maybe Averys coming in wil rattle us up ?

did avery get into it with any present day Isles- why so much rancor for this player ? ? :confused: ?

I will be watching .

I think we have 4 more ? you guys up 4-0 so far .

hopefully we'll pull some stuff off by trading dealine .
    we need an agile, consistant , puck moving defenseman already .

we're still about 3 or 4 million under the cap, too.

NYR out,.........

then maybe PJ will pull off a show at the Mecca in 07.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Avery hasnt ever done anything directly to any islanders..not that i'm aware of anyway....but i've seen him throw many a'dirty hits...and he seems like such a talentless piece of shit...little fuckin runt....and not a good runt like Blake...a dirty fuckin runt.

these next few games between the rangers and the isles are huge for both sides...we're running out of playoff spots...and time's running out as well.
    Jam out with your clam out.
    long red wrote:
    Avery hasnt ever done anything directly to any islanders..not that i'm aware of anyway....but i've seen him throw many a'dirty hits...and he seems like such a talentless piece of shit...little fuckin runt....and not a good runt like Blake...a dirty fuckin runt.

these next few games between the rangers and the isles are huge for both sides...we're running out of playoff spots...and time's running out as well.

well, depends how you look at it i guess.

its like darcy tucker , or maybe kasparaitis type of player.
    if he's on your team, hes an asset,..

this guy ranks 1st in the league in drawn penalties. ( i think i remember Versus saying it was leading the league with like 49 or something like that )

if the NYR finally gel on the PP ( law of probabilities , ect ) then maybe they can claw back up the standings. we're on the out looking in right now .
    platessmall.jpg
  • avery's only been in two fights this year, i know fighting is down but i figured he'd have more. i saw him in last month in LA against the Red Wings and the guy had the best of both worlds - a diving penalty and a goal in a 4-2 win for the Kings..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • on another topic, saw this one in the toronto sun:

Messier out to be next Rangers GM
    Moving to New York, actively seeking job

By TERRY JONES, SUN MEDIA

NEW YORK -- Mark Messier didn't finish the sentence.

He told reporters at the NHL all-star game that he has decided he wants to be a general manager.

In fact, he wants to become general manager of the New York Rangers!

Messier told Sun Media yesterday that he wants to take over from his former coach and GM when Glen Sather retires from the job in New York. Messier led the team to a first Stanley Cup since 1940 back in 1994.

Furthermore, Messier said he has decided to get pro-active about it.

He's planning to move back to New York and make it his primary residence and plans to talk to Sather about the idea after his Feb. 27 banner-raising in Edmonton.

"I'm going to have discussions with Glen. I don't know how long Glen is going to keep doing it. Maybe he'll continue for another five or 10 years.

"I just know New York fits best for me and my family. And this is what I know best and what I love the most," Messier said of taking two years away from the game to think through what he'd like to do with the rest of his life. He retired as a player in September 2005.

Messier's dad Doug wonders if there's already something going on in the background.

He says he hasn't talked to his son about it, but the fact that Mark decided to move back to New York tells him there has to be some method to his madness.

"He's not moving back just to go to nightclubs. He must know something."

At Madison Square Garden yesterday, where the final day of a five-day Mark Messier leadership camp was held, Sather spoke to the subject.

Could Messier move back to New York and begin an apprenticeship under the current Rangers GM?

"He probably could," Sather said. "We'd have to sit down and figure out a lot of details.

"The first thing would be to be sure it's what he really wants to do because it's not something you can work at part time.

"I talked to him previously, just last spring, and he wasn't sure.

"I'm glad he's interested. He has been able to accomplish everything he set his mind to at this stage in his life.

NECESSARY STEPS

"Most guys who have stepped in as a general manager have worked to get a little background, either in coaching or working under others in an organization. I think there are necessary steps to take.''

Doug Messier said he can see it.

"Mark has been away from it a bit now. He has had time to really think about it and he has come to the conclusion he wants to get back into hockey."

Mike Keenan, the coach of that 1994 Rangers team who also coached one of the teams in the Captain's Cup at Messier's camp, can see it, too.

"I think Slats would be respectful of Mark's wish to do that. There is such a strong relationship with Mark and Glen.

"And Mark has probably already learned a lot from Glen. To be mentored by Glen to take over ... I think Glen would probably be proud to pass the torch to him."

Former Rangers and Edmonton Oilers teammate Jeff Beukeboom can see it.

"It wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. It would be hard not to give it to him, too."

Beukeboom said having Messier in the job would bring on "extreme pressure."

Beukeboom then laughed.

"Which he would relish."

Attending Messier's camp for the past four days, he said, really opened his eyes to the idea that Messier might be able to succeed as a GM.

"Seeing him here this weekend, the way he has poured himself into his camp and his attention to detail, I can see him doing the job."
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    on another topic, saw this one in the toronto sun:

Messier out to be next Rangers GM
    Moving to New York, actively seeking job

By TERRY JONES, SUN MEDIA

NEW YORK -- Mark Messier didn't finish the sentence.

He told reporters at the NHL all-star game that he has decided he wants to be a general manager.

In fact, he wants to become general manager of the New York Rangers!

Messier told Sun Media yesterday that he wants to take over from his former coach and GM when Glen Sather retires from the job in New York. Messier led the team to a first Stanley Cup since 1940 back in 1994.

Furthermore, Messier said he has decided to get pro-active about it.

He's planning to move back to New York and make it his primary residence and plans to talk to Sather about the idea after his Feb. 27 banner-raising in Edmonton.

"I'm going to have discussions with Glen. I don't know how long Glen is going to keep doing it. Maybe he'll continue for another five or 10 years.

"I just know New York fits best for me and my family. And this is what I know best and what I love the most," Messier said of taking two years away from the game to think through what he'd like to do with the rest of his life. He retired as a player in September 2005.

Messier's dad Doug wonders if there's already something going on in the background.

He says he hasn't talked to his son about it, but the fact that Mark decided to move back to New York tells him there has to be some method to his madness.

"He's not moving back just to go to nightclubs. He must know something."

At Madison Square Garden yesterday, where the final day of a five-day Mark Messier leadership camp was held, Sather spoke to the subject.

Could Messier move back to New York and begin an apprenticeship under the current Rangers GM?

"He probably could," Sather said. "We'd have to sit down and figure out a lot of details.

"The first thing would be to be sure it's what he really wants to do because it's not something you can work at part time.

"I talked to him previously, just last spring, and he wasn't sure.

"I'm glad he's interested. He has been able to accomplish everything he set his mind to at this stage in his life.

NECESSARY STEPS

"Most guys who have stepped in as a general manager have worked to get a little background, either in coaching or working under others in an organization. I think there are necessary steps to take.''

Doug Messier said he can see it.

"Mark has been away from it a bit now. He has had time to really think about it and he has come to the conclusion he wants to get back into hockey."

Mike Keenan, the coach of that 1994 Rangers team who also coached one of the teams in the Captain's Cup at Messier's camp, can see it, too.

"I think Slats would be respectful of Mark's wish to do that. There is such a strong relationship with Mark and Glen.

"And Mark has probably already learned a lot from Glen. To be mentored by Glen to take over ... I think Glen would probably be proud to pass the torch to him."

Former Rangers and Edmonton Oilers teammate Jeff Beukeboom can see it.

"It wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. It would be hard not to give it to him, too."

Beukeboom said having Messier in the job would bring on "extreme pressure."

Beukeboom then laughed.

"Which he would relish."

Attending Messier's camp for the past four days, he said, really opened his eyes to the idea that Messier might be able to succeed as a GM.

"Seeing him here this weekend, the way he has poured himself into his camp and his attention to detail, I can see him doing the job."

guess the cold medicine thing has run its course.

:D
    platessmall.jpg
  • i don't know how much it was working, the flu seems to be really going around the nhl this year. when they played the capitals in december, there were like 10 guys with the flu.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • I doubt Benigno's producer reads this thread but 15 minutes after I posted, Benigno just read the report about Messier..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    go B's!
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    I doubt Benigno's producer reads this thread but 15 minutes after I posted, Benigno just read the report about Messier..

as fast as you are X Man, i went to other boards, they had already posted about it .

( ie : springsteen )

PJSurfboardCross.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • dynamite drop-in..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    whoops

i hit the wrong buttons

:D

too nice to edit tho , ...

so does Avery suit up tonight ? :confused:
    platessmall.jpg
  • i'd think so, he was in tampa since the kings were on a road trip so he should be able to get a flight..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • this is the LA take on the trade:

Kings trade controversial Avery to the Rangers
    By Chris Foster, Times Staff Writer
    February 6, 2007

Sean Avery's controversy-filled three-plus seasons with the Kings ended Monday when the team traded him to the New York Rangers in a five-player deal.

In return, the Kings received forward Jason Ward and two prospects, forwards Marc-André Cliche and Jan Marek. The Kings also included forward John Seymour, an eighth-round pick in the 2005 draft.

By trading the 26-year-old Avery, the Kings removed a potentially negative influence on players in the team's youth movement. At the same time, the Kings get some value for a player who seemed to have no value at the end of last season.

Cliche, a second-round pick in the 2005 draft, was considered the key player in the deal. "Where he started to impress me was when we saw him in the Canadian national team camp," Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi said. "He seemed like one of those players who would do anything to make the team. The way they put the junior team together, they are cognizant of character guys filling certain roles.

"I'm not saying he's a top talent, but if character is a talent, that's something he's got in abundance."

Avery's time with the Kings, who acquired him in 2003 in a deal that sent defenseman Mathieu Schneider to the Detroit Red Wings, has been pockmarked by controversy. Yet, this season, he kept a lower-than-usual profile. He hired a personal publicist, whose previous clients included comedian Andy Dick and avoided the media — all in an effort to clean up an image tarnished by self-inflicted antics, on and off the ice.

Last season is a case in point. The NHL that September reprimanded Avery for a nasty comment he made about French-Canadian players. The next month, he was accused of calling the Edmonton Oilers' Georges Laraque — who is black — a monkey, a charge Avery denied. In November, Avery was fined for diving, then fined again for criticizing the NHL for the first fine.

Late in the season, he directed an obscenity-laced tirade at NBC announcer Brian Hayward and a week later was finally unofficially suspended by the team, with only three games left, for refusing to do a drill in practice.

Avery's tendency to be a loose cannon was unpredictable. During a game last season, for example, he spotted actor John Cusack sitting near the bench, wearing a Detroit Red Wings cap.

A former Kings employee who was on the bench said Avery mocked the actor throughout the game.

"Sean would come to the bench, he'd scream, 'Hey Cusack, "Must Love Dogs?" When are you going to make a man's film again?' " Kings players had grown weary of Avery's behavior, and his standing in the dressing room improved only slightly this season. But Lombardi re-signed him to a one-year contract last summer, saying at the time that Avery was on "double secret probation."

Meanwhile, Avery was effective in spurts this season, with 10 goals and 28 points. His 116 penalty minutes lead the team but are well off the numbers he accumulated in leading the NHL the last two seasons. He also reduced the number of ill-advised penalties.

"He's learned to be a better teammate and he comes to play every night," Lombardi said. "He's an emotional guy in a good way and sometimes that emotion gets the best of him."

The only reported incident this season was non-confrontational, but resulted in Scott Thornton's breaking his left wrist. The two were "horsing around," according to a source close to the team, when Avery kicked a workout ball at Thornton, who then punched Avery in the back.

Now Avery is a Ranger.

"Let's face it, he's come a long way since last summer. When I first got here, there wasn't much of a market for Sean Avery. He has made progress and there were a number of teams interested in him."

Lombardi said the team would scout Marek — an eighth-round pick in 2003 — who is playing in the Russian Hockey League. Ward, 28, will join the Kings on their current trip. He had 10 goals and 28 points while playing on the checking line last season, but had fallen out of favor with Coach Tom Renney.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    As a long suffering Kings fan all I can say is have fun with psycho. Not only is he an average player but he's got a big mouth. :) Enjoy.
    thats too funny about cusack.

alot of celebs here in NY for him to mock -

will be interesting to see,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • this is such a bad move....i'm having a hard time believing it actually happened.
  • from the newsday blog regarding Sean Avery:

"I think a lot of it I brought on myself in the past," he said. "The bottom line with me is that I want to be around a winning environment and I want to win. I'm an emotional guy and in the past, I've said things with the wrong people around and in the wrong situation and at the wrong time. I think that's behind me at this point in my career...I was in the league at a young age and it took a while to get my bearings. My eagerness to win and my competitiveness kinda got down the wrong path at times, now I'm at the point where I know how to handle myself a little better and know who to say things to and who not to."

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound Avery said one reason he wanted to be here was his relationship with Shanahan. "I have a connection with him, we played together in Detroit... In L.A, the Rangers game would be the game that we would watch before our game. I'm excited to play with Shanny and Jags is the best player in the world. I think this team can really do a lot of damage if Jags and Straks can really get going. I don't think there's a better place to play in the league, especially if you win."

Asked what fans should expect from him, Avery said: "I'm just gonna come in and work hard offensively and defensively and bring a little emotion. I'm sure hockey fans know what I'm gonna bring to the table. I know what type of city New York is, it's a sports town, coming from L.A., we had our core group of fansI'm gonna come out there, but I just wanted to be in an environment where people enjoyed coming to games and put pressure on the team to win and hold you accountable on certain levels. I'm a blue-collar guy and try to be the hardest-working guy on the ice every night. New Yorkers and Rangers fans probably appreciate that type of style. "
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i hope this guy can bring something to the table ,,,at the very least throw his body around (which we know he will)
    he can win all our hearts instantly ,..... if he takes a run at Janssens or Colin White tonight,...

[size=+3] - _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ - [/size]
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    he can win all our hearts instantly ,..... if he takes a run at Janssens or Colin White tonight,...

[size=+3] - _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ - [/size]

fo shizzle my nizzle
    oh boy

i can only think of this popular Bruce Springsteen tune right now :

i'm goin' down
    I'm sick and tired of you setting me up
    Setting me up just to knock-a knock-a knock-a me down
    platessmall.jpg
    WE SO OOOOO outplayed them

4 on 3 in ot ya gotta score ughhhh

AVERY was good
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

does anyone else think that maybe henrik needs a little rest ?

the superstar rookie phenom from last season would have stopped at least 1 of those, maybe 2 , of those goals from last night ( in the regulation periods- not the shootout. Those, he also would have stopped )

upcoming schedule is nuts , also,..

2/9 vs. T.B. 7:00P
    2/10 at WSH 7:00P*
    2/15 at CAR 7:00P*
    2/17 vs. PHI 1:00P
    2/18 vs. CHI 3:30P

* 5 day wait in between games ?
    its like another olympic break , at the end of the schedule ? wtf ? :confused:
    platessmall.jpg
  • didn't see it last night, but why didn't jagr go in the shootout?
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    didn't see it last night, but why didn't jagr go in the shootout?

:confused:

prudent inquiry

:rolleyes:

Renneys logic ?

maybe his hip is still sore- more sore then they are letting on ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • that's what i'm guessing, i thought they might have said but didn't.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Jagr has a ghetto booty....it's true.
  • and moving on:

practice update from the journal news blog:

Some updates:

# Well, it was fun while it lasted, but sounds like Malik will becoming off IR on Friday to face Tampa Bay. In preparation, the Rangers have already returned Bryce Lampman to Hartford.

# Still more praise for Sean Avery, who had his first full practice with the team, and whose nameplate was literally being screwed in above his locker as he spoke (in either a knowing attempt at team harmony or a random bit of irony, Avery’s locker was next to that of Kevin Weekes. Avery, you may know, was accused of a racial slur by Georges Laraque a few year ago). I’m not sure one player can push a team over the hump, but Tom Renney acknowledged the difference Avery has already made.

“This was certainly an upgrade to our lineup,” Renney saod. “In retrospect after his first game it’s one of those things where you’d like to have done it a little bit earlier.”

# As for Ryan Hollweg’s absence from the lineup last night, Renney said it was more a reflection of wanting to get Colton Orr in the lineup against Cam Janssen.

“It was more making sure we had room for Sean and getting Colton in the lineup,” he said. “Cam didn’t do what he usually does and maybe it was because Colton was in the lineup. Those are the decisions coaches have to make in order to win. It’s always at the expense of someone but it really doesn’t go further than that.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    b's have won 2 in a row

carry on