B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Ugh, I still remember that like it happened five minutes ago. I saw Federov skating down the wing like it was 1995 all over again and thought "if he gets any kind of a shot, any shot it's going in", and of course Redden decided to give him enough space to do just that.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    wow draft day was a frenzy for us !

Ray Borques son?

and did anyone else see / read that Pittsburgh signed Andy Bathgate ?

:eek:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    BOYLE DEAL COST 'EM SHOT AT KESSEL
    Posted: 3:12 am
    June 29, 2009
    By Larry Brooks
    New York Post
    IN SENDING a third-round selection in next year's Entry Draft to Los Angeles for fourth-line center candidate Brian Boyle, Rangers general manager Glen Sather traded his team out of the possibility of getting Boston's dynamic Phil Kessel on a Group II free agent offer sheet.

Maybe the cost of the contract plus the cost in compensation wouldn't have been worth it and maybe it would have. Maybe the cap-stressed Bruins would have matched, but maybe they wouldn't have or couldn't have.

But if the Rangers had kept their third-round pick, they'd at least have been in position to offer Kessel, the 21-year-old right wing who scored 36 goals in his third NHL season, an offer sheet for approximately the $5.5 million he's seeking but won't get from Boston.

A successful bid of that amount would have cost the Rangers their first, second and third-round picks in next year's draft. Is that too much for a kid who has every offensive tool imaginable? That's debatable, certainly if the first-round pick with Kessel in the lineup projects to somewhere between 15th and 20th overall.

But that's a debate that would have been worth having leading into Wednesday's noon opening of the free agent market, given the paucity of attractive, cost-effective options that will be available to this talent-thin team that doesn't own a credible goal-scoring threat.

That's a debate that would have been worth having because by matching, the Bruins: a) would have had to move other parts off the roster to accommodate the contract; and, b) would have been prohibited for a year from trading Kessel for the offense-minded defenseman they're seeking to add to the club that had the best record in the Eastern Conference last season.

Now, there can be no debate because the Rangers don't have their third draft pick available to use as compensation.

There can be no debate because Sather sent the third pick to L.A. for Boyle, the 6-foot-7 Boston College product who has played 36 games in the NHL (28 last year) since going 26th overall in the 2003 Entry Draft, and who carries an inflated $832,000 price tag. At the same time, the Rangers didn't qualify Fred Sjostrom, whom head coach John Tortorella came to regard as an essential asset, at $882,000.

Could the Rangers have accommodated Kessel at $5.5M given their cap predicament? They could have by dealing or waiving Michal Rozsival or by waiving Wade Redden, that's for sure. Rozsival has had two bad years in a row, Redden has been in steep decline since the lockout. Yet they eat cap space and, more critically, minutes.

At this moment, the Rangers have committed $49.381M of a $56.8M cap to two goaltenders, five defensemen, five centers and four wingers. That sum will increase when Ryan Callahan signs a multi-year deal far in excess of his $660,000 qualifier.

At this moment, players on the Ranger roster (including everyone under contract or qualified) scored a combined 138 NHL goals last season. The Islanders were last in the East with 198 goals.

The Rangers will face Philadelphia's Chris Pronger six times this year, but they won't have unwanted free agent Colton Orr to keep him honest. The Rangers won't have either Sjostrom or unwanted free agent Blair Betts, the tandem that led the team to the league's best penalty-killing record.

Now they can't have Kessel, either. Even worse, they can't even consider it.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:larry.brooks@nypost.com">larry.brooks@nypost.com</a><!-- e -->
    platessmall.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Looks like Rags and Oilers are the only two after Heatley, but won't be cheap as Mr. Brooks seems to think.
    Fak.
    Good luck in the Big Apple, Higgie. McDonagh has some potential, don't know much about Valentenko, Pyatt or Busto.
    bye bye gomer
    we never hit it off you and broadway

all the best.

alot of new faces coming our way
    ( 3 for 1 ) ,
    including a long islander ?
    platessmall.jpg
    http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/ ... tbulletin/

June 30, 2009
    Breaking News: Gomez to Montreal for Higgins (UPDATED: 5:35)
    In shocking news, TSN and RDS is reporting that Scott Gomez has been traded to the Montreal Canadiens for winger Chris Higgins.

Thanks to John Ragus of NYRNation for the tip.

Gomez was making $7.4 million per year with 4 years remaining while Higgins was earning $1.9 million and was a restricted free agent.

More to come...

UPDATE - 5:22

TSN is reporting the trade as the following:

"The Montreal Canadiens have acquired centre Scott Gomez winger Tom Pyatt and defenceman Mike Busto from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins and defensemen Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko from the Montreal Canadiens."

UPDATE - 5:35

Here is the official release:

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired forward Chris Higgins and defensemen Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forwards Scott Gomez and Tom Pyatt, and defenseman Mike Busto.

Higgins, 26, has skated in 282 regular season contests with Montreal, recording 84 goals and 67 assists for 151 points, along with 96 penalty minutes. The 6-0, 205-pounder has eclipsed the 20-goal mark three times. In 2007-08, he established career-highs in games played (82), goals (27), assists (25), points (52), power play goals (12), game-winning goals (five), and shots (241).

He led Montreal in shots, tied for second on the team in power play goals and game-winning goals, and ranked third in goals. He was also one of only three Canadiens to skate in all 82 games during the season. Higgins registered 11 points (six goals and five assists) in the first 13 games of the season, and went on to surpass the 20-goal plateau for the third straight year.

Higgins appeared in 57 games with the Montreal Canadiens this past season, registering 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points, along with 22 penalty minutes. He tied for second on the team with two shorthanded goals, and placed sixth on the club with 151 shots despite missing 25 games due to injury.

In addition, he led the Canadiens in goals (five) and shots (40) during the month of November. He tallied his first career hat trick on November 11 vs. Ottawa to cap off a season-high, four-game scoring streak that began on November 1 at the New York Islanders, registering six points (four goals and two assists) over the span.

As a rookie in 2005-06, he led Montreal with three shorthanded goals. In addition, Higgins has registered six goals and five assists for 11 points in 22 career postseason contests with Montreal.

The Smithtown, New York native was originally Montreal’s first round choice, 14th overall, in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

McDonagh, 20, skated in 36 contests with the University of Wisconsin Badgers of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) this past season, registering five goals and 11 assists for 16 points, along with 59 penalty minutes. The 6-1, 212-pounder established career-highs in assists (11), points (16) and penalty minutes (59) in his second season with the Badgers.

The St. Paul, Minnesota native was originally Montreal’s first round choice, 12th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Valentenko, 21, split the 2008-09 season between Dynamo Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) and the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League (AHL). The 6-2, 220-pounder collected one assist in eight games with Dynamo Moscow after beginning the season in Hamilton, where he tallied two assists in four games.

The Nizhnekamsk, Russia native was originally Montreal’s fifth round choice, 139th overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Gomez, 29, appeared in 77 games with the Rangers this past season, collecting 16 goals and 42 assists for 58 points, along with 60 penalty minutes. He was acquired by the Rangers as a free agent on July 1, 2007.

Pyatt, 22, appeared in 73 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) this past season, registering 15 goals and 22 assists for 37 points, along with 22 penalty minutes.

Busto, 23, skated in 54 games with the Charlotte Checkers of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) this past season, recording three goals and eight assists for 11 points, along with 41 penalty minutes.
    platessmall.jpg
    gomez was good guy and all,
    had some bursts of speed,
    ( he's pretty much what got us into the offensive zone on many nights )
    but we really cant complain in any deal where we are gaining 3 for 1,
    whatever the math works out to be,
    Gomez also took up a hefty chunk of our salary, right?
    so we are also chopping that down too.

we are the first ones to ridicule , so
    i guess you have to give slats a thumbs up on this one,
    the organization benefits as a whole. .
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    gomez was good guy and all,
    had some bursts of speed,
    ( he's pretty much what got us into the offensive zone on many nights )
    but we really cant complain in any deal where we are gaining 3 for 1,
    whatever the math works out to be,
    Gomez also took up a hefty chunk of our salary, right?
    so we are also chopping that down too.

we are the first ones to ridicule , so
    i guess you have to give slats a thumbs up on this one,
    the organization benefits as a whole. .
    I don't like the trade. Gomez is good although he had a down year last year, but his contract is ridiculous.
    Higgins should do well for you, and McD was our #1 pick last year and is pretty highly regarded. I wouldn't expect much out of Valentenko...
    Ah well, what's done is done.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    well you knew going into the offseason that it was either drury or gomez that were going to be shown to door. i personally was hoping it was going to be drury over gomez, but what can you do?

lets see what high pricer darth tries and land now. hopefully not gaborik, that guy is more fragile than a carol pavano & jared wright combined (thats a baseball reference rygar).

rumors that betts & sjostrom won't be back either? what a mistake that would be. seriously, what is he thinking? "we have the second worst powerplay in the league, so let's break up our best penalty kill in the league by letting our two best penalty killers go."

i am convinced that those cigars he smokes every game in his sky box has some wacky tabaccy in it.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Let's not forget higgins is a restricted free agent.

The rags shouldn't even be in this mess cause of sather over paying for both dury and gomez. He's very lucky the habs were dumb enough to take gomez. Rags got the better end of the trade.

I can't wait for the free agency frenzy to heat up today
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

6a00d8341c5af953ef011570e4dcf5970b-150wi

Heatley an Oiler

However, what must now be recognized is GM Glen Sather's unwillingness to part with youth. Ottawa wanted Brandon Dubinsky and another young player and Sather wouldn't budge, a nice change from the past decade.

Now, the Rangers have considerable cap space to pursue a player like Vinny Lecavalier or perhaps a free agent such as Marian Gaborik or Marian Hossa.

Unfortunately, that came at the expense of a good guy in Scott Gomez who truly enjoyed being a Ranger.

More in the morning as noon begins unrestricted free agency...
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    6a00d8341c5af953ef011570e4dcf5970b-150wi

Heatley an Oiler

However, what must now be recognized is GM Glen Sather's unwillingness to part with youth. Ottawa wanted Brandon Dubinsky and another young player and Sather wouldn't budge, a nice change from the past decade.

Now, the Rangers have considerable cap space to pursue a player like Vinny Lecavalier or perhaps a free agent such as Marian Gaborik or Marian Hossa.

Unfortunately, that came at the expense of a good guy in Scott Gomez who truly enjoyed being a Ranger.

More in the morning as noon begins unrestricted free agency...
    Heatley wouldn't waive his NTC (yet), so the Oiler deal may not yet go through.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Holy crap, the Rangers only have 3 forwards under contract?

Add a few RFA guys that they will surely re-sign, but Slather has some work to do. This is a great chance to either continue building a solid young core, or to throw a lot of money at overly-expensive contracts.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Alright who removed the decision making part of the habs GM's brain ????

Lucky bastards dumping that huge salary

You have room for Briere now

:x :lol:;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I'm guessing Hossa signs with the Rangers... good luck with that.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    colton orr to toronto. are you shitting me?

fucking A i am going to miss him.
    Negatory, Chicago. Good signing for them.
    Edit - well good signing in that he's a good player to sign, but 12 years is a bit, um, retarded.

ut oh

whos gonna contain guys like, Pronger for instance , in Philly ?
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

ut oh

nevermind- Brashear, a Ranger ? :eek:

http://twitter.com/nyrbluebulletin
    platessmall.jpg
    Rygar wrote:
    Edit - well good signing in that he's a good player to sign, but 12 years is a bit, um, retarded.

Yeah... he is a better fit with the Blackhawks, so not a bad deal for either side. For the 12 years I'm thinking that the Blackhawks are hoping he retires after about 7-8 years and them comes off the books.

I'm just interested to see what they do with Kane, Toews, Keith and whomever else they have to extend or re-sign.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Rygar wrote:

Yeah... he is a better fit with the Blackhawks, so not a bad deal for either side. For the 12 years I'm thinking that the Blackhawks are hoping he retires after about 7-8 years and them comes off the books.

I'm just interested to see what they do with Kane, Toews, Keith and whomever else they have to extend or re-sign.
    True, could make things a little difficult down the line.
    :idea: :idea:

uhm, are you fellas trying to move in on your fellow original 6ers thread ?

:lol:
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    :idea: :idea:

uhm, are you fellas trying to move in on your fellow original 6ers thread ?

:lol:
    No sense posting where no one else bothers reading ;)
    12 years! :o:o
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

ut oh

espn is reporting 2 years $1.4 million.

this has been a crazy 24 hours!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

ut oh

espn is reporting 2 years $1.4 million.

this has been a crazy 24 hours!
    Yup, 1.4 per year.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    congratulations on signing Mr. Glass, umm I mean Mr. Gaborik.

5 years, eh? Hey Rangers, start training your medical staff NOW.
    Jam out with your clam out.
    long red wrote:
    congratulations on signing Mr. Glass, umm I mean Mr. Gaborik.

5 years, eh? Hey Rangers, start training your medical staff NOW.

unbelievable.

the pain of being a ranger fan. no one will ever know.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Way to garth in not getting a tough guy. Dumbass of a gm
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?