ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    todays blueshirt bulletin gearing up for tonights crucial game 4 at MSG

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/ ... 970c-300wi
    April 22, 2009
    Gomez, Zherdev Need Wake-Up Call
    When the Rangers said after Game 1 that they were guilty of watching the puck in their own zone, one of the guiltiest parties was Scott Gomez. On the Caps' first goal, with the puck in the left corner and everyone else covering a man or battling for the puck, Gomez circled out of the right corner and into the high slot, covering acres of open ice, doing nothing but watching the puck, perhaps hoping for it to pop out with his teammates taking possession with him in position to break out.

What Gomez wasn't watching was Alexander Semin drift in across those same open acres of ice to get himself into positon to score the back door goal when his own teammates emerged with possession of the puck. On the Caps' second goal, Chris Drury and Markus Naslunk were guilty of a similar lapse, leaving two men wide open on the weak side, one of them Semin, who scored another easy back door goal. From there, it was a huge uphill climb for the Rangers -- and they could not even get off the ground with a single goal against a novice goalie (a season-long problem), let alone surmount that obstacle.

One of the reasons for their inability to get anywhere was the lack of playmaking by Gomez. At one point, I watched Gomez set up behind the net and look for a pass. From my vantage point, he had several options. He didn't see any. I wondered to myself, where did he get his reputation for playmaking? Has he made a single pass in his two seasons in New York that remind you of a Doug Weight or Marc Savard or Adam Oates set-up? I don't recall any brilliant goals set up by his playmaking -- I just recall his inability to develop any chemistry with Jaromir Jagr, Martin Straka, Markus Naslund, and Nikolai Zherdev.

Zherdev. There's a good one. Before the series, we wondered who would be the unsung player to step up and assume the role of playoff hero. No one has done so -- instead, we continue to witness the disappearance of Nikolai Zherdev, once our leading scorer and brightest hope for the future. Exactly one month ago, Zherdev was smack in the middle of a five game stretch in which he scored four goals, skating 17 to 20 minutes a game. He has just one assist in his last ten games, going -4, and is s down to 10 to 15 minutes a game in his las six games playing on the third line and second power play unit.

Zherdev actually started out well in Game 3, and got the ice time he deserved from coach John Tortorella. But he just couldn't get the puck to the net, the guiltiest of several Rangers in holding the puck too long before looking for a shot. Much has been made of him getting only two second period shifts, but a look at the progression of the shifts in the period show that he was the victim of a series of penalties -- there were only four times in the period that the teams skated five on five, and the first two were cut short during the Gomez line's shifts by Sean Avery penalties, the Gomez line getting first crack at five on five play. Zherdev had even more ice time in the third period than the first, but he still generated little or nothing.

For all the other warts that plagued the Rangers in this disheartening loss, one defensive play by Gomez and one offensive play by him and by Zherdev, and the game reaches its latter stages at 1-1 instead of 2-0 and the Rangers have a chance to win. You can say the same about other aspects of the game -- if Callahan scores, taking away Semin's second goal, it's 1-1. But hey, Callahan went for it, the defenseman deflected it -- there's not much else to talk about, other than the defensive lapse down the other way. But Gomez and Zherdev are supposed to be the team's top playmaker and goal scorer, respectively, and Gomez as a center is supposed to help out defensively. Zherdev starts with a Z, Gomez ends in a z -- these Z's need to wake up.

The Gomez-Zherdev issue figures into several reports from practice yesterday, where Tortorella said he needed more from his top players without naming names and also spoke about Sean Avery and Chris Drury -- Newsday, Record, Daily News, Journal News, Post here and here, NYR.com, NHL.com, ESPN, CBC, and AP. More from reporters' blogs -- Ranger Rants here and here, Rangers Report, Blue Notes here amd here, and Game On!. Ranger Rants (here and here) and Blue Notes (here and here) report from the morning skate that Drury will play today and Paul Mara was off yesterday for personal reasons (see also Blueshirts Blog). The Wolf Pack signed Mitch Gaulton to an ATO -- it may be his best chance to earn a Ranger contract, though he will likely be back in junior next year. Wolf Pack Weekly also at WP.com. Prospect Park has other prospect news.

From the D.C. angle, even the local papers are getting into the mix with the nationwide media outlets and Washington press, mostly about the kid goalie who has allowed just one goal in two games -- Newsday here and here, Times, NHL.com here, here, and here, ESPN, AP, Washington Post, Washington Times, Caps.com, and DC Sports Blog on Ovechkin's girly jump at center ice and bench antics. They're obsessed with Avery too -- see the Washington Post and DC Sports Blog. And in case you missed it, wonderful ending for the Devils last night after coming back from a 3-0 deficit, losing with 0.2 seconds left in the third and Martin Brodeur throwing a hissy fit about interference that he initiated and kept at while the shot was whistling past him -- priceless! Of course, if that was Avery bumping him...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    drury is in for tonight.

that's mistake # 1. already off to a bad start and game time is still 2 hours away.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    NYR in 5

Sounds like a very unbiased opinion... :D
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    drury is in for tonight.

that's mistake # 1. already off to a bad start and game time is still 2 hours away.

my favorite mistake.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    drury is in for tonight.

my favorite mistake.

haha, seriously! he is off the hook for one night!

interesting game. loved it. rangers a bit lucky... 2 or 3 goal posts by caps? again sitting back with a one goal lead, shitty powerplay, neutral zone turn overs, not getting the puck deep. but i'm a bit of a debbie downer.

i do stick up for avery time and time again, but wow........ if the caps scored on one of his 9 dumb penalties, i am sure the garden faithful would be pretty quick to turn on him and i would have put my foot through the TV. i agree with sam & joe, why did torts put him on the ice with under 5 minutes to go after taking a slew of bad penalties. the guy seemed like a huge liability when he was on the ice in the 3rd.

gammmmmeeeeeeeeeeee 5 friday bitches.
    ps -

avery is lucky he didn't get 4 with that roughing call after the icing that drew blood from the caps player.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I too, defend Avery a lot of times, but last night pissed me off at the end with that stupid shot he took after the whistle with 3 minutes to go....does he have a girlfriend in the penalty box waiting for him? Did the Caps promise him his own clothing line after the series? I almost threw my beer across the room. Henrik should have clocked him after the game :) arghh I hate when he pulls that shit. anyhow, band practice is canceled Friday... I hope they wrap it up Friday

Henrik was Henrik....awesome
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Bump.

FINISH IT!!!!!
  • I'm going tonight, can't wait.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Jwmcc wrote:
    Bump.

FINISH IT!!!!!

agree, no screwing around and that means you number 16.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Bump.

FINISH IT!!!!!

agree, no screwing around and that means you number 16.

interesting to see how torts is going to use him tonight late in the game if the game is tied or nyr is winning. after game 4 there were a few rumblings that he should be a healthy scratch for game 5. get the message across that he can't dick around.
    avery out
    voros in
    team first concept
    platessmall.jpg
    wow Ovechken just made the Rangers look like stoo-pid 4-0..........does the King take the rest of the night off?
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    :? crap
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    what a bag of crap. :oops:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    what a bag of crap. :oops:
    What a goal!
    what a shit load of fuck.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    You think Torts will get suspended ?

I don't blame him for going after these idiots...Jeff Carter last year got hit in the head with a plastic beer bottle during a post game interview

Fans can be real tough guys behind the glass
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    You think Torts will get suspended ?

I don't blame him for going after these idiots...Jeff Carter last year got hit in the head with a plastic beer bottle during a post game interview

Fans can be real tough guys behind the glass
    no shit...the guy was all like "come on!....break free and hop over this huge sheet of glass between us...I'll kick your ass with my 30 friends"....douchestick....

Henrik steals game 6 for the series
  • that was embarrassing last night, not at one point in the game did the Rangers have ANY momentum. I knew that was going to happen...

I don't see the Caps beating Henrik 3 games in a row, he should be on fire Game 6...and I tell you, after being at Game 5, I would not wanna be back there for Game 7 with all that red and the building was LOUD
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    wow

maybe there actually is something to that

" avery in the lineup " thing,.....

im gonna be totally optimistic and say that its a good thing that boston has to sit and wait for us

maybe they'll lose some momentum while we just keep rolling along,...

another trip back to washington isnt goning to work in our favor,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Tortellini better hope that the Blueshirts come back in the last 2 periods. If this goes to a game 7, the Rags are done and it will be the coach's fault.

Nice blindside by Brash on Betts too. How offsetting minors were the only call on that play is beyond me. Good decision to scratch Colton Orr this game too. A good scrap could wake the Rangers up (as well as serve to tune Brashear up for his blindside).
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Bathgate66 wrote:

im gonna be totally optimistic and say that its a good thing that boston has to sit and wait for us

you guys better take care of business first before thinking about the B's.

nothing better then a hockey playoff game 7.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Bathgate66 wrote:

im gonna be totally optimistic and say that its a good thing that boston has to sit and wait for us.

Optimistic?
    That's the understatement of the year...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I like the CAPITALS but I would rather see the Rangers take the series. The the scoring of the CAPS ( especially the big O) will the give the BRUINS a much tougher time than the Rangers.

Let's Go Rangers!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

ah.... the new york rangers ending the season in new york ranger fashion.

who's suprised? anyone? anyone?
  • ah.... the new york rangers ending the season in new york ranger fashion.

who's suprised? anyone? anyone?

typical rangers hockey, and watch they will come out and win tomorrow...atleast I hope because I'm going and I don't wanna get shit on after the game
    F all the naysayers

Slats letter to Gary Bettman

The team sent a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Saturday night that was released to reporters just a few minutes ago:

Subject: Washington vs. New York, Game 5

Dear Gary:

In addition to your suspension of Coach Tortorella for his actions during last night's game, we respectfully request that you consider appropriate discipline in light of Washington's gross negligence in ensuring the safety of the personnel on the Rangers' bench, including Coach Tortorella, in the face of the Rangers' repeated requests for intervention against egregious fan misconduct during Game 5. As importantly, we would like the League's intervention to ensure that there are adequate security measures in place to protect our personnel in the event there is a Game 7 in Washington.

Neither the NHL nor either team has had the opportunity to conduct a full investigation or to interview all witnesses but the television coverage and the statements made by Rangers bench personnel make clear that Washington utterly failed in its security obligations to the Rangers, not to mention its own fans. The tension was evident from before the opening face-off. Throughout the game, several people seated immediately behind the visitors' bench took advantage of the looseness of the glass panels and the unusually wide gaps between the panels to assault the Rangers with some of the most obscene language imaginable. Because of the way the glass is installed, the patron sitting behind Coach Tortorella (the gray-haired, bearded man in the white T-Shirt) could literally scream into the coach's ear. According to Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay, one patron was screaming at the team, in graphic language, about whether Dan Girardi and Marc Staal have a sexual relationship. This was within earshot of several children seated nearby. Several other fans also made repeated homophobic remarks. Moreover, Mr. Ramsay reported that he and other bench personnel were spit on by one or more "fans" as they yelled through the gaps in the glass.

Your statement tonight referred to alerting security. In the first period, Mr. Ramsay warned the security guard stationed on the nearest stairwell (a large African-American man) that the situation was unacceptable and was likely to get ugly. No action was taken. The misconduct continued. In the second period, Mr. Ramsay warned a female security supervisor that some fans were out of control and that he was concerned that something unfortunate was going to happen. Although this supervisor was equipped with a radio, she apparently took no action, because the same fans were in their seats when the team returned to the bench for the third period. According to press accounts, no fans were ever ejected or permanently removed from their seats.

Washington's failure to respond to what its personnel knew — and were specifically warned — was a potentially dangerous situation contributed significantly to this unfortunate incident. Accordingly, we respectfully request that you consider imposing appropriate discipline on Washington for its knowing failure to protect the Rangers and prevent the situation from deteriorating into an incident that reflects badly on all of us. In addition, we must immediately discuss how Washington is going to handle security for any Game 7. Neither the Rangers nor the well-behaved Capitals fans should be forced to endure the extraordinary level of fan misconduct that Washington failed to prevent in Game 5.

Thank you for your consideration.

Glen

sheds some light on the " classy " organization in washington,...
    platessmall.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Acting head coach Jim Schoenfeld said that after viewing video of the incident, he believed it was a late hit. "I didn't see it at the time," he said. "I saw it on the replay -- it was a late hit, and it was vicious. He's a big strong guy and Bettsy didn't see him coming. He's hurt significantly. We obviously aren't going to divulge the nature of the injury. It's a double edge sword because Brashear's the guy who was jostling with Orr in warm-up. It would have been nice to have him not in the game rather than allow him to play the game and eliminate one of our best players, especially on the penalty kill. So it was a late hit to the head and the league will look at it and make their own ruling."
    http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/ ... 970b-800wi
    http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/ ... 970b-300wi
    Finally, in an incident that seemed to be missed by most but which will certainly get some press now that Schoenfeld brought it up in his post-game press conference, Brandon Dubinsky was apparently bitten on the arm by Shaone Morrissonn during the altercation that followed Dubinsky's boarding penalty against Mike Green (see accompanying photo -- click on the image to see a larger version). NYR.com reporter Jim Cerny said he saw it right away -- he saw Morrissonn chomp on Dubinsky's arm and he saw the Ranger center trying to show the bite marks to an official. But the official refused to look, intent as he was on getting Dubinsky off the ice.

Schoenfeld said that Dubinsky's misconduct was the result of that. "Dubinsky had to get a tetanus shot because he was bitten in a scurm," the coach said. "So his status remains in question. And it was a double whammy because as he was trying to show it to the linesman, instead of looking, he gave him a misconduct."

Not that any of this would have changed the course of the game, not with the Caps getting to Lundqvist again (with three more back door plays, two off Ranger turnovers) and the Rangers not getting anywhere near Varlamov until the matter was decided. Maybe it was the difference between a 5-1 game and a 4-2 game -- maybe that would have been enough of a difference for the Rangers to attempt a comeback, though rest assured that if the game had remained close, they would not have gotten all those third period penalties, which were obviously the refs' way of creating plausible deniability against any bias case that might be made against them ("look how many power plays we gave the Rangers..."). More later...

Betts is out indefinitely with a broken orbital bone.
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    platessmall.jpg