B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Well, at least the Rangers are making one roster move -- Petr Prucha will be in for Aaron Voros. Remember early in the season when Voros was on fire and someone asked Renney about him and Renney responded with tempered enthusiasm, noting that Voros's history suggested a good start but diminishing returns? If they knew this about Voros -- and it was obvious enough to be a key part of our summer preview of him based on his partial season in Minnesota -- why did they sign him in the first place? And why did they wait a month for him to go goalless before making a move? Forget about underachieving veterans -- with so little cap space and no one in Hartford ready to step up, even a role player like Voros got that much leeway before his first trip to the press box.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Did anyone see the New Year's game? I totally forgot about it. I guess cuz it wasn't in Yankee Stadium.
    I miss igotid88
    totally forgot about this,

maybe cuz we just squeeked by the islanders,

and our play as of late has been less than stellar.

we got stung bad by ovechkin last time,

lets see how we react tonight.
    maybe we'll be proactive for a change, in regulation perhaps ?
    platessmall.jpg
    6a00d8341c5af953ef010536b1349f970c-250wi
    platessmall.jpg
    Avery At Large ,....

p60f.jpg

SEAN Avery (above) is a free agent in more ways than one. The former New York Ranger showed up at Bungalow 8 New Year's Eve on the arm of - his brother. A spy at the club said that Avery and his girlfriend of several months, Kelly Klein, have split - "They're no longer together." Avery was dumped by the Dallas Stars last month after he made a nasty comment about his ex, Elisha Cuthbert. He tried to make up for lost time at Bungalow 8, flirting with women and hanging with former teammates Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Nigel Dawes and Marcus Nasland.
    platessmall.jpg
    King Henrik gets a shutout. And becomes the 5th goalie to have 20 wins in his first 4 seasons.
    I miss igotid88
    One final note: Fans were ecstatic to see Sidney Crosby so frustrated and ineffective, and they let him know it. He heard it too. "Whether the opposing fans are trying to rub it in or not, losing is not fun," he said. "There's always a little bit better atmosphere when you’re playing here." Renney and the Rangers heard it too. "It registers because you love your fans, beacuse they hate the other guys," Renney said of the Garden fans booing and jeering Crosby. "I like that a lot -- why not make it tough on them from your seats too? I'm good with that." Crosby backlash has hit big time -- even the refs are now starting to see through it at last, and even his own coach appears to be sick of it, responding to Crosby's complaints about his linemates by sticking him with a couple of third line wingers last night.
    platessmall.jpg
    wheres rygar?

your boys are going down tonight !

Hard to tell what the Rangers will see when the Montreal Canadiens come to town tonight. On one hand, they have won four of their last five and are on a 6-1-1 roll. On the other hand, back-up goalie Jaroslav Halak, who will make his third straight start in place of injured starter Carey Price, has allowed eight goals on 57 shots in the past two games and has allowed three or more goals in eight of his last twelve appearances. On the third hand, the Rangers have a way of making back-up goalies look good. The Habs' once vaunted power play has been only 1-for-22 in the last five, but their penalty kill has been good (2-for-24) in those games.
    platessmall.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wheres rygar?

Hard to tell what the Rangers will see when the Montreal Canadiens come to town tonight. On one hand, they have won four of their last five and are on a 6-1-1 roll. On the other hand, back-up goalie Jaroslav Halak, who will make his third straight start in place of injured starter Carey Price, has allowed eight goals on 57 shots in the past two games and has allowed three or more goals in eight of his last twelve appearances. On the third hand, the Rangers have a way of making back-up goalies look good. The Habs' once vaunted power play has been only 1-for-22 in the last five, but their penalty kill has been good (2-for-24) in those games.
    Sorry I'm so late for this one Bathy ;)
    You were right, Halak looked pretty good - whether that is your fault or his, I'm not sure.
    Rygar wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    wheres rygar?

Sorry I'm so late for this one Bathy ;)
    You were right, Halak looked pretty good - whether that is your fault or his, I'm not sure.

ok, time to take mt foot outta my mouth now, also to petrocs for his eagles making my giants and eli look like a bunch of newbies,....
    oh well,

thank god theres hockey !

Big Rivalry tonight, even if the 2 teams are at opposite ends of the spectrum,...

Oh and btw- i got my tickets for both Graves' retirement and Bathgates' retirement, ( the 2 greatest # 9s in NYRs history ) - so i'll be in the house for both of these special nights this Feburary.

anyone else going on Feb 3rd & 23rd ?

ill be in section 102 row A for Graves,
    sect 311 row L for Bathgates.
    :D
    platessmall.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    RAG$ SUCK

damn that feels good to be able to say in this thread

yea bathy the teams are at different points but the hate still there thats something that will never change
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Enjoy the second half of the season, all!
    But the Cup is staying in Detroit. No doubts.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    almost had another shutout. But very good game by Henrik.
    I miss igotid88
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    dunham putting on the pads lastnight? that would have been comical.

i don't know, the rangers were pretty lucky to get those two points. hank stole that one from us.

not a very physical game... didn't feel like an NYR/NYI game.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    edited January 2009

not a very physical game... didn't feel like an NYR/NYI game.
    i agree with this. i'm thinking where was the hitting and the fight or fights. very low key game.. i wonder if it had anything to do with the lack of crowd energy on both sides.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

milarso wrote:
    Enjoy the second half of the season, all!
    But the Cup is staying in Detroit. No doubts.

\
    definitely some doubt there,...
    time for the eastern c0nferenmce to bring that silver home.
    7819442e-90a0-442e-a68f-ca0ace6735a4.jpg

fcb516a0-414c-4147-a86e-cb314f1493d5.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    6a00d8341c5af953ef010536ce6d4c970b-350wi

these original 6 matchups dont happen enough times throught the arduous schedule.
    this one should be good .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Great win last night. Amazing that the power play has been so bad that when Rozsival made that pass to Redden, he became the first Ranger with 10 power play points. That officiating was also awful on both sides and that's an understatement.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    whats for lunch on this non- NY- Football Sunday?

stewed Penguins, of course.
    platessmall.jpg
  • looks more like stewed rangers today..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    the rangers look like the flat bottle of coke that just sits in the back of your refrigerator for a month.
    January 20, 2009
    Renney Sends Wrong Guys Upstairs
    Tom Renney is all about respect. And it's hard to argue against respect. But even Renney has come to realize that when it comes to officiating you sometimes have to be a squeaky wheel to get some respect back rather than be taken for granted. With the coach set to respond to Sunday's no-show performance in Pittsburgh by benching oft-scratched Petr Prucha and rookie Lauri Korpikoski, we wonder whether he missed an opportunity to make a stronger statement that respect is a two-way street when it comes to players too.

Markus Naslund has just three points in his last 14 games, with no goals in his last eight. His shots are down 50% from 2.8 per game to 1.7 during that drought. Scott Gomez has just one goal and six assists in the last 14 (not including empty net goals), with no goals in the last eight except for an empty netter. Wade Redden has not scored a goal in 44 games and has just two assists in his last 16 with a -9. These are not the type of results a coach can live with from the two players who anchor his top line and the guy who was supposed to be his number one defenseman.

It's commendable that his team can come home from a five-game road trip with seven points despite scoring only eight goals, but Renney knows that ratio is not sustainable. He knows he needs production from the likes of Naslund, Gomez, and Redden. He doesn't have to bench them all -- he just needs to send a simple message, loud and clear. A message to one serves as a message to all. If young players can be expected to take their benchings in stride and come away having taken the appropriate lessons, surely seasoned veterans can do so with even more poise and professionalism. It's not as if these guys are satisfied with their production.

Gomez's ice time has in fact already been cut in the past month from an average of 23 minutes per game to 19. But if that drop-off has been in response to the drop-off in his production, it has been too subtle to have an impact, his production having dropped off even further. Gomez signed on for first line dollars because he wanted to play first line minutes on the big stage after a career as a second liner in a tertiary market. As a playmaking center, he has been unable in two seasons in New York to be a productive set-up man for either Jaromir Jagr or Naslund. Maybe he should spend a few games trying to develop chemistry with Colton Orr and Aaron Voros, or at the zamboni gate with MSGN announcers.

Redden on the other hand has seen his ice time increase by nearly two and half minutes per game from an average 20 minutes to 22:20 over the sixteen games in which his scoring has approached zero and his +/- can only wish it was approaching zero. While it is true that his defense has steadied since the start of January, he was signed to be a factor offensively as well. If he's going to take days off like he did in Pittsburgh, it might behoove the coach to give him a day off in response to demonstrate that it's not just up to the players to decide whether they play or not. These players are abusing Renney's respect by taking so many shifts and games off -- it's time for Renney to show them that there is a limit to the respect they may have earned elsewhere but have not earned as Rangers.

From today's morning skate comes confirmation that Voros and Fritsche will indeed replace Prucha and Korpikoski -- see Rangers Report, Ranger Rants, and Blue Notes. Elsewhere in the news today, look for previews of tonight's pre-break finale against the Ducks at the Garden in Newsday, the Record, Post, NYR.com, NHL.com, and OC Register -- the latter also has a report on some injuries the Ducks have sustained, most importantly Teemu Selanne, as well as their own father's day trip to New York. The Wolf Pack rebounded with a win yesterday -- see Howlings, NY Sports Day, and Beyond the Blueshirts. The latter also is taking questions for Artem Anisimov that will be translated into Russian for the Ranger prospect. Hockey's Future rates Anisimov as above the curve so far this season but pans Dale Weise in his rookie pro season.
    platessmall.jpg
    i've said it before.... renney plays his players based on their contract. the bigger the contract, the more ice time you see irregardless of your preformance on the ice.

voros.. 3 penalties, 2 of which were kinda bonehead. but i am sure he will still dress in prucha's spot next game.
  • I think that happens throughout the league. It doesn't seem that any of the stars when they slump on other teams are sitting either. It's weird how their power play is. It's been bad but the timeliness of the goals in the last three wins has been huge.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • JK8495JK8495 Posts: 101
    the only thing i miss from here

hello rangers pals
    just about 1 more week for Graves' Night

landed some sweet seats in sec 102, row A , right on the aisle.

anyone else attending ?
    platessmall.jpg
    medium_kovalev.jpg

That is all.
    Rygar wrote:
    medium_kovalev.jpg

That is all.

that was a home job ;)

j/k, he was amazing. 2 goal posts on top of his 2 goals. i miss watching that wrist shot on a nightly basis.
    on a side note... the little trophies they were handing out during the skills competition looked much cooler than the all-star game MVP's.

and since when is honda the car of the NHL?
    Rygar wrote:
    medium_kovalev.jpg

That is all.

that was a home job ;)

j/k, he was amazing. 2 goal posts on top of his 2 goals. i miss watching that wrist shot on a nightly basis.
    I'm a big Kovy fan, and it was pretty rewarding to see for all those people who thought he didn't deserve to be there :p

Players look like they had fun, good time.