B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    tom renney has lost complete control of this team. this is the first game since, "the hardest practice i put my guys through in my 3 years in NY" and this is how the team responds? it's a joke. they gave up on the guy.

i see a coaching change in the near future.

Looks like Brooks disagrees with your ( and mine ) point,....

rangers_lede.jpg

GAME-BY-GAME TRIAL UNFAIR TO CLASSY RANGERS COACH

IF GLEN Sather is evalu ating Tom Renney's status on a game-by-game basis, then whether he knows it or not, the GM has made up his mind that the head coach has got to go.

It can't be that 3-1 with an empty-netter over the Islanders on Wednesday grants Renney a reprieve when 2-1 against in the same game without Yann (Mr. Softie) Danis yielding that goal to Scott (Mr. Muffin) Gomez would have meant the end for Renney.

It can't work that way.

Either Sather - who shares his thoughts with, well, with we can't quite tell you, exactly, and we can't tell you from whom the GM seeks counsel, either, if he does - believes Renney commands the authority to steer the Rangers to a fourth straight playoff berth, or he doesn't.

This coach's immediate future cannot be determined by the outcome of a one-goal game. That's lunacy. The Rangers aren't rolling over. They're not quitting.

If Renney is behind the bench tomorrow night in Buffalo, and there is no reason on earth to expect anything different, he should remain for the duration of the season.

Regardless of the outcome of this season, Renney has ensured his place as one the most significant head coaches in franchise history, in fact joining Mike Keenan and Emile Francis as the team's three most important and successful coaches of the modern era.

There was Sather's foresight coming out of the lockout in assembling a squad built around Jaromir Jagr and his European posse, there was the Great 68, missed so terribly this season, and there was Henrik Lundqvist.

But there also was Renney to guide a laughingstock team back to credibility, and to do it always with a sense of class and character that brought pride back to the organization.

That not only counts for something, that counts for a great deal, even if the head coach seems to be off-balance in dealing with the challenges of leading this vanilla team that misses go-to personalities even more than go-to scorers.

There is no question whatsoever that John Tortorella is the right man, if not the only man, for the job when and if Sather makes a change behind the bench. He's the guy.

There is, however, nothing in the GM's track record to suggest that he'd be willing to turn the team over to as strong, charismatic, hard-headed and independent a coach as Tortorella, who could care less who you are or what you make when it comes time to hold players accountable.

"I will not answer a single question about a job that is not open," Tortorella, the 2004 Cup winner in Tampa who was dismissed last summer, told The Post yesterday. "I had that happen to me for two months after last season. I believe it's unethical in our business to do that to anyone.

"I'm fortunate enough to have a job working for TSN that's been something I really enjoy, It's allowed me to learn and I'm appreciative. But if the question is would I like to make a career at TSN or return to coaching, there's no question that in my mind, I want to coach."

With Sather's resume, however, if Edmonton dismisses Craig MacTavish after the season, make book that he becomes the leading candidate to replace Renney, if replacing is needed.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:larry.brooks@nypost.com">larry.brooks@nypost.com</a><!-- e -->
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Geez
    Buff smacking us down
    win 1 , lose 4.
    at this rate, we'll be playing golf a little earlier than the 8 leading teams in our conference.

anyhow, I have 2 extra tixckets for Rangers game tomorrow ( SUNDAY ) Night-

Interested?--- get with me,...Its is a ceremony night as jersies will be retired and raised to the big round cieling,...! FACE VALUE !

section 311, row L
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Geez
    Buff smacking us down
    win 1 , lose 4.
    at this rate, we'll be playing golf a little earlier than the 8 leading teams in our conference.

Interested?--- get with me,...Its is a ceremony night as jersies will be retired and raised to the big round cieling,...! FACE VALUE !

section 311, row L

sold
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Geez
    Buff smacking us down
    win 1 , lose 4.

section 311, row L

sold

Your Rangers jersey is burned in my mind. hehe
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Geez
    Buff smacking us down
    win 1 , lose 4.

section 311, row L

sold

Your Rangers jersey is burned in my mind. hehe

?

i dont get it
    cuz of the shitty play lately?

lol
    platessmall.jpg
  • anyhow, I have 2 extra tixckets for Rangers game tomorrow ( SUNDAY ) Night-

section 311, row L[/quote]

sold[/quote]

Your Rangers jersey is burned in my mind. hehe[/quote]

?

i dont get it

lol[/quote]

No because after the the first MSG show was over. Were all leaving and I hear this loud voice and see this guy wearing a Rangers jersey. Then the next day I meet you at the Pre-party wearing what your Rangers jersey. hehehe

Great memories from last year for sure.

btw you were the guy i saw the first nite.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    so whats the odds tom renney gets canned after tommrows loss.

hahaha

nice try , metsy

you guys are 1-4 against us " rags " this year.

nuff said
    least i try bathy.

that is true but the RAG$ STILL SUCK :)

nuff staid
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• anyhow, I have 2 extra tixckets for Rangers game tomorrow ( SUNDAY ) Night-

section 311, row L

sold[/quote]

Your Rangers jersey is burned in my mind. hehe[/quote]

?

i dont get it

lol[/quote]

No because after the the first MSG show was over. Were all leaving and I hear this loud voice and see this guy wearing a Rangers jersey. Then the next day I meet you at the Pre-party wearing what your Rangers jersey. hehehe

Great memories from last year for sure.

btw you were the guy i saw the first nite.[/quote]

I'm fairly we certain we met before night one while I was killing time waiting for Bathgate.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • I'm fairly we certain we met before night one while I was killing time waiting for Bathgate.[/quote]

That is true.
    ah now that makes sense.
    I upgraded my tickets for tonight- im now in the Club Section 32 , row C .
    Anyone else attending tonight ?
    Il'll be with the born2runqt ,.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • I'll be there, same spot as usual. The ceremonies should be good, don't know if I can say the same thing about the game.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    I'll be there, same spot as usual. The ceremonies should be good, don't know if I can say the same thing about the game.

i know what you mean L

I am liable to stay for just the raisings, then bolt out, if that scoreboard is 1 sidededly heavy on the Leafs.

They looked pretty lost out there last night in Buffalo.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

i know what you mean L

I am liable to stay for just the raisings, then bolt out, if that scoreboard is 1 sidededly heavy on the Leafs.

thats really sad you leave after the raisings but then again with the way the team has looked why bother to stay around for the fire renney chants :lol:

• Bathgate66 wrote:
    I'll be there, same spot as usual. The ceremonies should be good, don't know if I can say the same thing about the game.

i know what you mean L

you know it's bad when I turned on the radio they I heard they were down 2-0 and I immediately switched it off. Good to see you briefly before tonight's game, which was a miracle it was scoreless for so long considering how sloppy they were.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    well renney is gone
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    well renney is gone

they fired the wrong guy. too bad they couldn't take kalinin, redden, rozsival and zherdev out also.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • chromiam wrote:
    well renney is gone

they fired the wrong guy. too bad they couldn't take kalinin, redden, rozsival and zherdev out also.

Too bad Glen can't be crucified
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    chromiam wrote:
    well renney is gone

yeah but as always in sports its easier and cheaper to fire the coach midseason then to clean house of players or a GM.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    chromiam wrote:
    well renney is gone

yeah but as always in sports its easier and cheaper to fire the coach midseason then to clean house of players or a GM.

that is true, the rumblings going around are that john tortorella is the replacement, so we'll see what he can do.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    sather shoulda been fired. he was the guy that bought in dury, gomez and redden. nothing can save this team not even torts or the goon avery. this team will go nowhere as long as sather is around. i'm not knocking the front office just cause im and isles fan, knocking it cause it just flat out sucks. you tell me this, if straka, shanny and jagr where around would this team be this bad.

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    metsfan wrote:
    sather shoulda been fired. he was the guy that bought in dury, gomez and redden. nothing can save this team not even torts or the goon avery. this team will go nowhere as long as sather is around. i'm not knocking the front office just cause im and isles fan, knocking it cause it just flat out sucks. you tell me this, if straka, shanny and jagr where around would this team be this bad.

agreed. when is sather getting the axe? he is the most responsible for the underachieving that has been happening the past several years.

agreed. when is sather getting the axe? he is the most responsible for the underachieving that has been happening the past several years.
    wont be happening anytime soon. he's very buddy buddy with dolan, thats what insiders have said over the years.

Tortorella?

what about Messier ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Tortorella?

what about Messier ?

That's what I thought too. Maybe he might try out for GM when they fire Sather after the season.
    I miss igotid88
  • From tortorella's first practice - from newsday

For Brandon Dubinsky and Henrik Lundqvist, the initial practice this morning under new head coach John Tortorella reminded them of something: "The first day of training camp," said Lundqvist. "Yeah, a lot of nervous energy," said Dubinsky. "You want to make a good first impression."

So, first impressions. Here's some of Tortorella's thoughts---and tactical changes---revealed during a 25-minute gathering with writers:

"I have always liked the pressure game. We're gonna try to pressure... We're not trapping. Everybody thinks it's a defensive system; it's a transition mechanism. But I've gotta be careful; I made a major mistake last year with our team in Tampa where I was too aggressive and our D couldn't handle it and it cost us. I made a huge mistake in not changing that a little bit. I waited too long."

"I'm going to give Schoney the penalty killing and he's going to handle the D during the games and I'm going to do the power play. I think it's important that the head coach has the power play. You're dealing with a lot of your top people and I think that's an important aspect of a head coach, getting the most out of your top people. You get to converse with them, they see the game differently than the coach does. Obviously if we're going to win it's going to have to produce."

"I'm not a four-line guy. Your best players need to be your decision-makers. They're going to get every opportunity to win hockey games for us. They're going to be put in those situations, as long as they show me they're going to be able to compete hard. If they're playing hard, I'm going to send them right back out there."

Assistant coach Mike Pelino, who was not on the ice, has been reassigned. "Mike is going to help me in pre-scouting and tape work, hand-in-hand with Jerry Dineen. I talked to him about this and I think we need a clean break. It's nothing to do with Mike. I think it's good (for players) mentally to wipe the slate clean. I've had the trainers take down the standings and all the stats, we'll clean that up and start over. There is going to be a philosophical change here, but there's a couple of good guys who are out and I just don't want them blamed."

"I'm not going to stand behind the bench and just calmly go about it. I'm just not built that way. I think honesty is what players want. They're going to get pushed, they're going to be held accountable, and there are going to be some bumps in the road, there may be some conflict along the way, but I don't think we should be afraid of conflict."

"I'll be meeting with them one on one, slowly but surely, sometimes on the ice, sometimes on the plane, when it needs to be. I had some major one-on-one battles in an office along the way. And it turns into some conflict. We're not going to overload them with a quarter of the season left. I talked to a couple players today in a casual way. When you put a player in an office, they clam up."

"Initally, I just want them to relax a little here. I think the team's been paralyzed with all the things going on with the club....And losing knocks you down. I am gonna push them, but as a coach you have to understand when you need to be with them. I think this is a time to get them to feel decent about themselves. There would be nothing better than a win. I think they're a little bit beat up. This reputation that I just kick the hell out of people takes on a life of its own. I think they need to get a little self confidence."

Assistant coach Mike Sullivan will not join the team this season, although Tortorella wanted him here. Tampa balked. So Torts, who worked under Schoenfeld in Phoenix, said the assistant GM is "doing him a favor" and will be behind the bench for the rest of the year. Benoit Allaire will continue mentoring Lundqvist, who Torts called "the best goalie in the league", and Steve Valiquette. Schoenfeld ran yesterday's drills and Tortorella used these lines or versions of them:
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    From tortorella's first practice - from newsday

For Brandon Dubinsky and Henrik Lundqvist, the initial practice this morning under new head coach John Tortorella reminded them of something: "The first day of training camp," said Lundqvist. "Yeah, a lot of nervous energy," said Dubinsky. "You want to make a good first impression."

So, first impressions. Here's some of Tortorella's thoughts---and tactical changes---revealed during a 25-minute gathering with writers:

"I have always liked the pressure game. We're gonna try to pressure... We're not trapping. Everybody thinks it's a defensive system; it's a transition mechanism. But I've gotta be careful; I made a major mistake last year with our team in Tampa where I was too aggressive and our D couldn't handle it and it cost us. I made a huge mistake in not changing that a little bit. I waited too long."

"I'm going to give Schoney the penalty killing and he's going to handle the D during the games and I'm going to do the power play. I think it's important that the head coach has the power play. You're dealing with a lot of your top people and I think that's an important aspect of a head coach, getting the most out of your top people. You get to converse with them, they see the game differently than the coach does. Obviously if we're going to win it's going to have to produce."

"I'm not a four-line guy. Your best players need to be your decision-makers. They're going to get every opportunity to win hockey games for us. They're going to be put in those situations, as long as they show me they're going to be able to compete hard. If they're playing hard, I'm going to send them right back out there."

Assistant coach Mike Pelino, who was not on the ice, has been reassigned. "Mike is going to help me in pre-scouting and tape work, hand-in-hand with Jerry Dineen. I talked to him about this and I think we need a clean break. It's nothing to do with Mike. I think it's good (for players) mentally to wipe the slate clean. I've had the trainers take down the standings and all the stats, we'll clean that up and start over. There is going to be a philosophical change here, but there's a couple of good guys who are out and I just don't want them blamed."

"I'm not going to stand behind the bench and just calmly go about it. I'm just not built that way. I think honesty is what players want. They're going to get pushed, they're going to be held accountable, and there are going to be some bumps in the road, there may be some conflict along the way, but I don't think we should be afraid of conflict."

"I'll be meeting with them one on one, slowly but surely, sometimes on the ice, sometimes on the plane, when it needs to be. I had some major one-on-one battles in an office along the way. And it turns into some conflict. We're not going to overload them with a quarter of the season left. I talked to a couple players today in a casual way. When you put a player in an office, they clam up."

"Initally, I just want them to relax a little here. I think the team's been paralyzed with all the things going on with the club....And losing knocks you down. I am gonna push them, but as a coach you have to understand when you need to be with them. I think this is a time to get them to feel decent about themselves. There would be nothing better than a win. I think they're a little bit beat up. This reputation that I just kick the hell out of people takes on a life of its own. I think they need to get a little self confidence."

Assistant coach Mike Sullivan will not join the team this season, although Tortorella wanted him here. Tampa balked. So Torts, who worked under Schoenfeld in Phoenix, said the assistant GM is "doing him a favor" and will be behind the bench for the rest of the year. Benoit Allaire will continue mentoring Lundqvist, who Torts called "the best goalie in the league", and Steve Valiquette. Schoenfeld ran yesterday's drills and Tortorella used these lines or versions of them:

nice piece L !

but where are the linbe combos that were cut off at the end ?

still interesting to read nonethel;ess.

whats with Saturdays game ?

Against Colorado?
    Its on WPIX Channel 11 ? It took me back about 35 years when i saw that commercial ,....

wow
    platessmall.jpg
    found it

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
    Dubinsky-Drury-Callahan
    Dawes-Korpikoski-Prucha
    Sjostrom-Betts-Orr/Voros

Rozsival-Staal
    Mara-Girardi
    Reitz/Kalinin-Redden

Mara, who played 46 games under Tortorella in Tampa in 2000-01, practiced with the team for the first time. But his shoulder, which he injured nine days ago, was still not healed and will miss tomorrow night's game and several more at least.

Plenty more to come here on newsday.com and in tomorrow's paper. Newsday's Katie Strang shot some video, and Mark Herrmann and Arthur Staple all were on hand.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    From tortorella's first practice - from newsday

nice piece L !

but where are the linbe combos that were cut off at the end ?

still interesting to read nonethel;ess.

whats with Saturdays game ?

Against Colorado?
    Its on WPIX Channel 11 ? It took me back about 35 years when i saw that commercial ,....

wow

It took me back to the mid-1980s. If I'm not mistaken the Rangers put a few games on WWOR-TV (Channel 9) back then.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    good reads up above. anyone else find it a bit suspicious that pelino's job was spared? not saying he should have been fired too, but maybe sather got a few key players opinions on who was helping and who was hurting the team from a coach's perspective? if that's the case, a few players may have known renney and pearn would be gone way before it happened.
    yes i thought that was odd also - usually the entire coaching staff is let go ,.....

well, at least maybe now we will see more of petr prucha , .... and maybe less of voros.
    platessmall.jpg