B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• i am loving this year's team more and more with each win.
    MSG II 6/25/08
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    haha & you missed a good one. fun ending with voros going at it with smith. drury's third goal was typical drury... right spot right time. hopefully that will be a little spark.

good win, would have been awful to lose to three shit teams in a row.
    sweet! I always say I'm a jinx whenever I watch the games. I gotta watch the highlights to see that fight
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • stickboy wrote:
    sweet! I always say I'm a jinx whenever I watch the games. I gotta watch the highlights to see that fight

you got to see the drury shorthanded goal and the pass from gomez on the power play one and the glove save lundqvist made on lecavalier right after drury's second goal.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    you got to see the drury shorthanded goal and the pass from gomez on the power play one and the glove save lundqvist made on lecavalier right after drury's second goal.
    sick! I just saw them all on Rangers on demand highlights. The Voros fight was nice and long like that Orr fight the other night aganst the Thrashers
  • way to go Drury! and damn ....Voros holding off for so long, I don't think I would have had the patience after that hatchet he took...pretty dirty
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Renney is calling for Smith to be suspended after the tomahawk chops to the back of Voros' knees! :eek:

who knew smith looked up to chris simon,....
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Renney is calling for Smith to be suspended after the tomahawk chops to the back of Voros' knees! :eek:

who knew smith looked up to chris simon,....

i wouldn't be suprised if the league does review it. i think it's definitely a one gamer.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3688410
    nhl_g_cherepanov_200.jpg

Report: Rangers seek draft pick in wake of Cherepanov's death
    ESPN.com news services

Three weeks after the death of top prospect Alexei Cherepanov, the New York Rangers are seeking a compensatory pick in the second round of the 2009 NHL draft, saying "with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year," the New York Post has reported.

The team is citing Article 8.3 (b) in the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, which mandates compensatory selections be provided when teams are unable to sign first-round draft picks.

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Alexei Cherepanov, the top-ranked European player in the 2007 draft, was the Rangers' first-round pick that year.
    "The question is with the one parenthetical phrase in Article 8.3 (b) that refers compensation for an unsigned first-round draft pick who is '… again eligible for the Entry Draft or becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent,'" Rangers assistant general manager Cam Hope told the newspaper. "That language was inserted to clarify that a team would be owed a compensatory pick even if they were to re-draft that player or sign him as a free agent.

"It seems now as if that phrase is unintentionally precluding the deceased from being included as eligible for compensation. We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year."

Cherepanov was the 17th selection in the 2007 draft. He died Oct. 13 after collapsing during a game in Russia while playing in a Continental Hockey League game with the Omsk club Avangard. He was 19 years old.

"We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support," Hope said. "If an unsigned player sustained a massive injury on or off the ice, the drafting team would get a compensatory pick.

"We believe that the letter of the law applies in this case, but even if there is a disagreement on that, it's clear that the spirit of the law applies."

Rangers general manager Glen Sather first put the matter on the table in Chicago last month at the league's GM meetings, the Post reported.

"At this point, the league has taken no position on the Rangers' request," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the newspaper. "The matter is in front of the league's general managers, who will address the subject at their next meeting in March.

"It's possible that the language of the CBA would need to be amended to address situations such as this one. If that's the case, then we would need to negotiate that with the Players' Association."

Related Topics: NHL, New York Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
    It took a while for Garden fans to figure out that Marek Malik was on the ice -- wearing a #22 Lightning jersey, he was not easy to spot. But that was him turning the puck over to Sjostrom for his first period breakaway, that was him backing away helplessly as Zherdev set up Callahan's goal, and that was him in the box for a penalty he shouldn't have taken when Drury scored the game winner. He did get an assist and was +1 thanks to St. Louis's individual effort on his goal -- he was Tampa's only plus player! Fans shouldn't have booed him this time -- he was a key contributor to the Rangers' win.
    platessmall.jpg
    at least we held " The Big O " Ovechkin without a goal-( his longest career drought to date ) even when he was down on his knees, with his arms raised in a V ...., ( he actually thought he had beaten King Henrik)

another interesting point of note is Nikolai Zherdev, who is only this important to the Rangers: since returning from Prague, where he was scoreless in two Ranger wins, the Rangers have won every time he has scored at least a point and have lost every time he has been held without a point.

tomorrow is the only meeting thisa season with the Edmonton Oilers- a nice birthday gift for me in itself,..... but would really be capped off with a victory !
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    at least we held " The Big O " Ovechkin without a goal-( his longest career drought to date ) even when he was down on his knees, with his arms raised in a V ...., ( he actually thought he had beaten King Henrik)

another interesting point of note is Nikolai Zherdev, who is only this important to the Rangers: since returning from Prague, where he was scoreless in two Ranger wins, the Rangers have won every time he has scored at least a point and have lost every time he has been held without a point.

tomorrow is the only meeting thisa season with the Edmonton Oilers- a nice birthday gift for me in itself,..... but would really be capped off with a victory !
    I forgot where I read it but someone was saying Zherdev is like another Kovalev, who hasnt realized his potential yet. He has some amazing moments and then others where youre like :rolleyes: "wtf was that?"
    Not a bad stat tho, so as long as he gets around 80 points we should be fine ;)
    check out this read from the Bulletin today:
    Teams watch each other. They watch each other closely. It cannot have gone unnoticed what the Capitals did in winning Saturday night, running Lundqvist and other Rangers with impunity. Others will now try to do the same thing. Sometimes it's worth giving away two points to send a message that will translate into more points down the road, and Saturday night was the time to send a message that you just can't do that to the franchise goalie. Not only did the Rangers fail to send that message, they didn't even win a point.
    In other news today, Larry Brooks says in the Post that Sean Avery would not have been a spectator while Lundqvist was being run. Arthur Staple of Newsday also gives the Rangers grief for letting the Caps get away with it. Other stories in the local press and reporters' blogs: Newsday, Record, Ranger Rants, Blue Notes, and Game On!. Game previews: NYR.com, Oilers.com, and ESPN. Prospect Park has a recap of Sunday night action. People just won't let Alexei Cherepanov rest in peace -- the KHL is giving the NHL grief for not releasing his Ranger medical records, which the NHL says is only because they don't have permission from his family to do so (see ESPN); others continue to take potshots at the Rangers for seeking a compensatory draft pick (see Edmonton Journal).

why the fuck didnt anybody run over any of the capitals ?

this is bullshit !

i agree this may become a trend after other teams start reviewing video of past games ,....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:

Happy birthday!
    1 point better than no points, i guess .
    platessmall.jpg
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Very frustrating, this divison is theirs for the taking but the Blueshirts are finding more ways than not to fuck it up.
    http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/blueshirtbulletin/

6a00d8341c5af953ef010535eb7544970c-800wi

Half Full or Half Empty?
    Is the Rangers' glass half full or half empty? To hear the players talk, it's half empty after wins and half full after losses like last night's 3-2 shootout defeat at the hands of the Oilers. The Rangers have won some games when they have been at less than their best, and they say so after those wins. By the same token, they have found positives in losses, as they did last night when their comeback fell short after erasing a 2-0 Oiler lead to get to overtime.

The theme is common: lucky to escape with wins despite failing to put together a full sixty minutes, and having something to build on after getting at least a point after an awful first period. But despite the words, the Rangers remain perched on that same precarious precipice we talked about yesterday -- those lucky escapes will become fewer and those desperate comebacks will increasingly fall short if they don't address their problems playing complete games.

There are two common threads in their wins and losses, all other things aside. Broken record: the power play. Last night, the Rangers took another collar, going 0-for-4. They failed to score in the first period when the power play could have negated the early goal against and gotten the team untracked. They failed to score twice in the second period when they again had a chance to equalize. Worst of all, they failed to score with the man advantage late in the third period when they could have won the game. To be fair, they had nine power play shots, but the missed the net on seven other shot attempts and, of course, failed to score.

The stats are relentless: the Rangers have only won twice without benefit of a power play goal and have only lost twice when getting one. In sixteen other games, they have won when they've scored a power play goal and lost when they haven't. And the games have been so close that the PPGs almost always make a difference -- five have been game winners, four have tied games or broken ties, two have halved two-goal leads to bring the team within a goal of tying, and three have extended leads late in close games to clinch wins.

The other common thread? Nikolai Zherdev was scoreless in the Rangers' two wins in Prague, but since then, he has contributed at least a point or shootout goal to every win but has been held scoreless in every single loss. He is certainly not the only player the Rangers count on for offense, but he seems to have emerged as the one that makes a difference. Last night, all he did was bang in his stick on the ice in frustration, once when he missed wide with a shot, once when he missed a breakout pass.

At Blueshirt Bulletin+ today, we take a deeper look at the Rangers inability to play a full sixty minutes, how they try to get back on track in those situations, and how the constant line juggling figures into it, with quotes from Brandon Dubinsky, Chris Drury, Markus Naslund, Henrik Lundqvist, and Tom Renney. Click here to read it if you subscribe to Blueshirt Bulletin and have registered for BB+ access. If you need instructions on how to access BB+, write to us at Blueshirt@mindspring.com. If you are not a subscriber, E-mail us or click here to learn how to subscribe to the magazine and BB+.

Such is the life of a depth defenseman in the NHL that Jason Strudwick can return to the city where he played all or part of the prior three seasons, appear in his 500th NHL game, and get little if any notice for it. But such is the character of a well liked player like Strudwick that he enjoyed the quiet night in his own way. Speaking of depth defensemen, has anyone seen Wade Redden lately, or has he fallen that far off the radar screen that even Dmitri Kalinin is outplaying him by a country mile? The 6.5 million dollar man has just three assists in his last 16 games and is -3 in the last two.

Game reports: Newsday, Journal News, Record, Daily News, Post, Times, NY Sports Day, NYR.com, NHL.com, AP, PA Sports Ticker, Edmonton Journal, Edmonton Sun, Oilers.com. More from the Record, Edmonton Journal, Inside Shots, and the reporter's blogs -- Rangers Report here and here, Ranger Rants here and here, Blue Notes here and here, Blueshirts Blog here and here, and Game On!. Prospect Park names Chris Doyle Ranger prospect of the month, Howlings catches up with former Ranger prospect Dave Liffiton in Denmark, and Bob Crawford has the Wolf Pack Weekly at WP.com.

Here are a couple of things you don't have to bother reading: NHL.com's Atlantic Division report, which is 1700 words long, not one of which is the word "Rangers" -- every other division rival is in there, but no Rangers. And the Times's Slap Shot blog, which amply demonstrates over the past two days why we removed it from our "Rangersphere" link listing in the sidebar -- 5500 words in various postings, with the Rangers mentioned tangentially only twice, once in referring to Glenn Anderson's Hall of Fame induction and once in referring to Alexei Cherepanov, both in contexts that have nothing else to do with the Rangers. Memo to the Times: You're the "New York" Times, not the KHL Times.

Posted by Dubi on November 11, 2008 at 01:28 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)
    platessmall.jpg
    Tonights match against NJ will be only the 2nd time in 15 years that Martin Brodeur wasmnt facing his cross river rivals the NYRs.
    platessmall.jpg
  • i dont care if marty wasnt in net, a win against the devils always feels great!

nice to see drury get another one
    MSG II 6/25/08
    nice win :D
  • great win, the one thing i like about the power play is the tendency to score goals at key times, while they haven't scored often, the goals have been timely especially the rozsival goal.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Tonights match against NJ will be only the 2nd time in 15 years that Martin Brodeur wasmnt facing his cross river rivals the NYRs.

third time, he missed november 3-5, 2005.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    you're the stat master ;)

I like what I'm seeing with this team....we keep this up we should be a team to be reckoned with come playoff time

blame msg sportsdesk

theyre where i heard my little tidbit.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    blame msg sportsdesk

theyre where i heard my little tidbit.

ok, i will. but it was still a great win, great to hear the you can't beat us chant again.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    ok, i will. but it was still a great win, great to hear the you can't beat us chant again.

and hearing it in Newark

:eek:
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    and hearing it in Newark

:eek:
    we OWN the Rock

beautiful to see all the Blueshirts behind Hank esp after the win bangin on the glass :)
    interesting that someone in this thread was comparing Zhderev to Kovalev last week,...
    seems the newspaper today did the very same comparison today , i had to drag it in here,....

Brooks NY POST
    ZHERDEV NEEDS TIME, 'SPACE'
    By JAY GREENBERG

The RangersNew York Rangers are still in the process of figuring out what moves the enigmatic Nikolai Zherdev, but his once-and-again center, Brandon DubinskyBrandon Dubinsky , already knows this much: Move him the puck.

"Sometimes Nik's there and I don't make a play and I get on myself for it," said Dubinsky. "He does some really special things, you have to give him space."

The essence of the game is time and space. In year five of Zherdev's career, the essence of the Rangers' season likely will depend on the space between Zherdev's ears.

On Wednesday night in Newark, Zherdev made a boneheaded first-period giveaway off the boards into the slot, before picking up his game and scoring two goals en route to 5-2 victory over the DevilsNew Jersey Devils .

One score was a power-play gimme (perhaps a contradiction of terms for a team scoring 17 percent of the time on power plays) into a half-open net, and the other a top-of-the-circle blast over goalie Scott Clemmensen's shoulder. Zherdev, who had a season-high seven shots, was one of the hungrier piranhas during a four-goals-in-7:18 second-period feeding frenzy. And the Rangers, averaging only 2.63 goals per game, won comfortably.

Last summer Glen Sather traded in his two aging snipers, Jaromir Jagr and Brendan Shanahan, for two new ones in Zherdev and the veteran Markus Naslund. Even allowing for 25 goals from Drury and some statistical growth in a Ryan Callahan or Nigel Dawes, if Naslund and Zherdev don't put the puck in the net, the Rangers won't either.

Zherdev's 16 points in his first 19 games projects to 67 for the season, which, barring a spectacular postseason, probably would make it his only one in a Ranger uniform. His contract is up and so likely would be the organization's patience if someone this talented remains so invisible on so many nights.

"Alexei Kovalev," Chris Drury offered as a Zherdev comparison after a game earlier this season. Both high and faint praise considering how unfulfilling became Kovalev's tours of duty, particularly the second, in New York.

There was a difference between Zherdev's home and road performances for the Blue Jackets, who traded him to New York for a second-pair defenseman, Fedor Tyutin. That's selling low on a high-end talent, even if Coach Ken Hitchcock insists Zherdev, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of this season, potentially ending the Rangers ($3.25 million) obligation, grew as a teammate.

Like Kovalev, Zherdev likes to beat the same guy twice. Also doesn't merely change costumes in a phone booth, but also can stickhandle through two opponents there at the same time.

"It's amazing what he can do in tight spaces," said Drury. "He has fast feet and hands, gets around people, gets his shot off. It's been fun to watch so far."

jay.greenberg@nypost.com
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    interesting that someone in this thread was comparing Zhderev to Kovalev last week,...
    seems the newspaper today did the very same comparison today , i had to drag it in here,....

Brooks NY POST

jay.greenberg@nypost.com
    yea I saw the Zherdev/Kovalev comparison somewhere else and posted it in here. Funny to see it come up again.
    Let's just hope Zherdev has a more consistent career producing
    Loos like Gomez is out again tonight with a sore ankle injury.

Not having Gomez in directly impacts not only our forecheck anjd attack, but it seems to limit our speed as well.
    Well, at least with Gomez scratched it leaves an opening for Prucha or Fritchse.
    platessmall.jpg
    Trouble A-Bruin
    The Rangers may lead the Eastern Conference with 26 points, but the Boston Bruins come into tonight's contest at Madison Square Garden with the best record percentage-wise at 10-3-3, riding a five game winning streak and an 8-1 mark in their last nine after stumbling out of the gate at 2-2-3. The Rangers, meanwhile, have been stumbling lately, but to keep things in perspective, 6-3-1 in your last ten is the definition of stumbling only after you start the season 5-0 and 10-2-1 (though 2-3-1 in your last six is closer to the mark with a smaller sample size).

Like the Rangers with Henrik Lundqvist, the Bruins have forged their record largely with superior goaltending. Although Manny Fernandez backstopped their last win, 6-1 over Montreal, Tim Thomas, who will be in goal tonight, leads the NHL in save percentage (.946) and is second in goals against average (1.76). Don't expect a high scoring affair tonight -- these are the second and third best defenses in the league, thanks again to the goalies. The Bruins have allowed just nine goals in their last eight games, three of those in the one loss in that span.

no gomer?

ut oh
    platessmall.jpg