B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    theres no way to gather all the facts i guess- especially with the press delivering varying reports and accounts,...

i have a friend that works at St Vincents- hopefully he'll be able to clear this up .

edit :

i shoulda checked the Bulletin first ,...

April 30, 2008
    Avery Out With Lacerated Spleen
    Sean Avery is out for the season after sustaining a lacerated spleen during last night's game. He is expected to make a full recovery but will be out of action for the remainder of the season, even if that somehow miraculously extends beyond next week. Earlier reports that he had suffered cardiac arrest at 3:00 AM were retracted after the Rangers said that he was in discomfort during the game, finished playing, and then went to St. Vincent's Hospital in Greenwich Village with a team doctor shortly thereafter. For full reports, see the Daily News, Newsday, Rangers Report, and NYR.com.

Avery was one of three players injured in the disheartening 5-3 loss that put the Rangers in a 3-0 hole in their second round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Chris Drury suffered what is believed to be a muscle injury in his side. He too finished the game after missing much of the second period, but was in obvious discomfort during the third period, unable to take draws or even get his stick down on the ice on occasion. Nevertheless, it is possible that Drury will attempt to gut it out and play when the series resumes tomorrow at the Garden.

Blair Betts may have sustained a broken cheek bone when he was hit in the face with a deflected puck, also in the second period. He left the game and did not return and is unlikely to play tomorrow night. For more on Avery, see the Record, MSG.com, Toronto Sun, Globe & Mail, ESPN, and AP. A couple of other new stories to read that were written before the news about Avery: Newsday and NY Sports Day.

Posted by Dubi on April 30, 2008 at 03:39 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Both Greg Moore and P.A. Parenteau, possible replacements for Game 4, are on the ice for practice.
    platessmall.jpg
  • all of those reports is part of the age where outlets try to get things out first without checking to see what's right and what's not. that is annoying, especially when the team will release a statement on something like that.

also how was avery being mentioned in some hooker's black book relevant to this story. i saw that in both the news and post.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    even if we fall tonight,

we'll be back again next season.

of course i wish, hope and pray that they can come back to win 4 straight- but this isnt the team we have been following all year long.

its nuts.

all the best to avery in a speedy recovery- wonder if this injury all but seals the chances of him returning to the NYR- especial;l;y after arbitration and all,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Our backs are against the wall.

It's do or die tonight.

Will be givin' 110% out there.

It will all be left on the ice.

:D
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Strange story, I wonder what play and when the injury happened? A few people at work have said that it appeared Avery was slowing down as the game went along, but there wasn't any big hit or slash that I remember.
    Jw

I noticed it as well....I was telling my friend "where the @#$#$% is Avery?!"

I hope they live to fight another day...if not, it was a good year and great first round.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    and i wonder if jaromir will be back, with the Rangers or in the NHL- at all- period.
    platessmall.jpg
    I noticed it as well....I was telling my friend "where the @#$#$% is Avery?!"

I hope they live to fight another day...if not, it was a good year and great first round.

thgey mentioned in todays papers that the injury occured in the 1st period, but he gutted it out and played the entire game- even had an assist later in the game.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Good luck boys

Hopefully Pitt loses some games before the Conference Finals !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    thgey mentioned in todays papers that the injury occured in the 1st period, but he gutted it out and played the entire game- even had an assist later in the game.
    I have had my spleen rupture and it does not feel good at all ( I actually died for a few seconds in the o.r.). It seemed he didn't have the fire...especially in the situation they were in. now we know why. Hope he recovers quickly...and best of luck to him.

Funny when people say hockey isn't a tough sport. Props to Sean
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    The only good thing that can come from this sweep is that the Pens will lose atleast 1 game in the conference finals against the Flyers. I think the Flyers are playing better than the Pens, and Biron looks fabulous. If they lose atleast once I don't know how they would take it after not losing in the first two rounds.

That said, I think the Rangers win tonight. If they win Game 5 as well, MSG for Game 6 will be WILD and I don't see the Rangers losing that game. Game 7 anybody?? :D

Next on the agenda. I think the Rangers will sign Jagr to a one year deal. I don't see Jagr agreeing to go anywhere else. If the Rangers don't sign him, he will retire. Also, this is probably the end of Shanny. I see the Rangers making some moves to make sure that Gomez and Drury are more involved. Dubinsky is playing absolutely amazing, but without Jagr next year I don't see him on the first line. I wanna see Prucha more involved. Yes he didn't have a great year this year but he wasn't given the opportunity to get out of his rust. The man had over 30 goals 2 years ago and last year he was in the teens i believe, but he got MUCH more physical.

We also need to get rid of Mara and Malik!! Get rid of those two to get 1 good defensemen and bring up another from the minors. Girardi and Staal seem to have done well from the minors to the NHL.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I have had my spleen rupture and it does not feel good at all ( I actually died for a few seconds in the o.r.). It seemed he didn't have the fire...especially in the situation they were in. now we know why. Hope he recovers quickly...and best of luck to him.

Funny when people say hockey isn't a tough sport. Props to Sean

ouch!

glad you resucitated !

this is from todays Bulletin :

( good reading today )
    I can't figure out what happened to Avery. I went through every one of his shifts on video, and he did not get hit anywhere near his mid-section, not once, at least not on camera. In fact, he hardly was hit or did any hitting at all in this game -- the only big collision he had was when he tried to finish a check on Brooks Orpik and went down hard himself, but Orpik caught him high around the head and shoulders and he landed on his back, with no blow to the area where his spleen resides. He also never once skated as if hampered in any way, and never once at the bench winced as if he was in any pain. It must have just been a subtle jab of some sort that didn't affect him until much later when the internal bleeding caught up to him well after the game ended.

Drury did not injure himself celebrating a goal that never happened, he was already in pain a few seconds earlier. With the Rangers on a five-on-three power play and the puck in the high slot, Drury was stationed outside the left wing post, banging his stick for a pass. Instead a shot was taken and Drury took a half-step toward the net in anticipation of a rebound. But the shot was blocked and deflected into the corner behind him. As he tried to make a quick turn back toward it, he flinched and doubled over in pain. He stayed with the play and began to lift his arms as the puck went right up to the unguarded goal line before it was swept out. He then left the ice, once again doubled over, this time unable to contribute as play continued.

platessmall.jpg
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    also how was avery being mentioned in some hooker's black book relevant to this story. i saw that in both the news and post.

I made mention of that as well....typical gossip press.

Unless of course a hooker visited between periods and ruptured his spleen :D
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    I made mention of that as well....typical gossip press.

Unless of course a hooker visited between periods and ruptured his spleen :D

whoops misread your post, thought it said unless it visited him and helped heal it, d'oh.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    from the morning skate that Drury will probably play despite his injury, Lauri Korpikoski will make his NHL debut in place of Blair Betts, and Jason Strudwick will replace Christian Backman -- no word on whether Ryan Hollweg will play or who will replace Avery.

does it make sense to play drury- ( we all know the tenacity and guts the guy plays with night after night,.... )
    but if the guy cant lift his arms above his head ? , or take a faceoff ? - then why play him ?

i mean really,....
    platessmall.jpg
    drury looks fine

and watching marty straka is inspiring ,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    from the morning skate that Drury will probably play despite his injury, Lauri Korpikoski will make his NHL debut in place of Blair Betts, and Jason Strudwick will replace Christian Backman -- no word on whether Ryan Hollweg will play or who will replace Avery.

does it make sense to play drury- ( we all know the tenacity and guts the guy plays with night after night,.... )
    but if the guy cant lift his arms above his head ? , or take a faceoff ? - then why play him ?

i mean really,....
    I was gonna say...with a game like this I'll take a Drury at even 50%. How many faceoffs did he win tonite?
    The King and the Captain spoke tonite. 2 goals and an assist and tons of heart, and a shutout with a penalty shot save.
    nice...see ya in Pitt. :D
    We just need one win
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    the league should definitely suspend malkin ( or was it hossa ? ) for at least 1 game for that fucking slew foot he put up on mara.

theres no room for that kind of shit,

especially from the leagues frontrunning forward representative

what the fuck evgeni ( marian ) ?

:confused:
    platessmall.jpg
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    After watching that 3rd period, theres more evidence to support my statement that Crosby is the biggest pussy in the NHL
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    After watching that 3rd period, theres more evidence to support my statement that Crosby is the biggest pussy in the NHL
    we need to keep laying it on em like we did in that 3rd and let Jag, dubi and Straka do their thing and we'll be alright.
    Has Shanny gotten that old in a matter of like 3 months?? he was doin fine then.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • After watching that 3rd period, theres more evidence to support my statement that Crosby is the biggest pussy in the NHL

After reading that post, there's more evidence to support the statement that you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
    n v r m
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Jerry gets nailed and the team decides to play real hockey. Imagine that. If they keep that going, the Pens won't like it too much.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    that was more like it. My flag lives another day.

Sunday is probably going to be gorgeous outside, but I will be on the couch
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    After reading that post, there's more evidence to support the statement that you have no idea what you're talking about.

and where is your evidence to support that he isn't the biggest pussy? every NHL fan awaits an answer.......
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the league should definitely suspend malkin ( or was it hossa ? ) for at least 1 game for that fucking slew foot he put up on mara.

theres no room for that kind of shit,

especially from the leagues frontrunning forward representative

what the fuck evgeni ( marian ) ?

:confused:

yeah, i don't know what the hell that was all about. that should def. be a one gamer, but i doubt the league will even look at it.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    yeah, i don't know what the hell that was all about. that should def. be a one gamer, but i doubt the league will even look at it.
    What is a 'slew foot'?
    Rygar wrote:
    What is a 'slew foot'?
    came from behind and kind of shoved the guys legs out from under him with his own leg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    came from behind and kind of shoved the guys legs out from under him with his own leg
    Like a trip? Putting him down onto his arse? Or like a high-impact knee-on-knee type scenario?
    Rygar wrote:
    Like a trip? Putting him down onto his arse? Or like a high-impact knee-on-knee type scenario?
    yeah...or on the players head. And the offender comes from behind or just to the side. I believe they actually call it a tripping penalty but it is noted as a slew foot? The problem with it is that it sends the guy falling backwards with his legs up in the air landing on either his tailbone/ass or more dangerously, his head