B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Therrien Goes On Offensive

April 26, 2008
    Therrien goes on offensive
    Why Michel Therrien decided to do this on the off-day after a game in which referees decided the “Does Sidney Crosby Dive?” question in his team’s favor is anybody’s guess.

But the Penguins’ coach went off on the topic moments ago. And as he did so in response to an unrelated question about how comforting it must be to have a couple of players like Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, it was clear that he came to the podium with something to say.

Therrien’s soliloquy: “When you got two young good players like this, you try to have a 1-2 punch combination that puts the other team on their heels. And they’re tough to play against.

“And where I’m kind of disappointed is that there’s gamesmanship before the series about Sidney drawing penalties. And I’m disappointed. I’m kind of disappointed about that.

“This is a star player that plays into traffic. Powerful skater. And when a star player like this goes to traffic and plays into traffic, well, he’s going to draw penalties.

“And we all know what Tom Renney’s trying to do. He tried to do it before we started the series. He tried to do it last night, I saw his comments today. He’s trying to get attention to the referees and complaining about the penalty last night at the end of the game.

“As far as I’m concerned - as far as we’re all concerned - it’s not even close. In the 1990s, I could understand we let those things go. With the new game, it’s about speed. It’s about the good players getting a chance to make plays. It’s letting those good players be able to skate if you get caught out of position.

“And I think our game is much better. We’ve got obstruction rules. It’s a faster game. That’s why you see young players able to dominate the way they’re able to dominate in the National Hockey League.

“But we know what he’s trying to do. But I’m convinced the referees don’t buy into those things, the league doesn’t buy into those things. Why don’t we give credit to a guy that plays into traffic, will get shots?

“Sidney took a shot in the face from Avery in the first period. Sometimes he’s going to draw penalties. Sometimes, there’s not going to be any penalty. But he’s going to keep going there. And eventually, he’ll draw a penalty if he keeps going there. And he knows.

“He’s not going to go to the outside. That’s the way he is. He’s not going to take the easy road. He’s going to take the tough road and try to succeed. And yesterday, on that play, he had a step on (Straka) and if he didn’t get hooked, we’re probably going to go on a breakaway. And he drew a penalty.

“I’m kind of disappointed they complained about it.”

Asked if a player of Crosby’s caliber deserved more respect, Therrien replied: “Enough is enough. That’s enough.”

disappointed.
    :D

lol
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
    this is only the 2nd time all year that both hollweg and orr werent playing .
    ( the final game of the year also ) prucha back in ,...

i hope the physicality element doesnt come back to haunt us in this game,....

Ruutu has it coming to him ,.....
    platessmall.jpg
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    this is only the 2nd time all year that both hollweg and orr werent playing .
    ( the final game of the year also ) prucha back in ,...

i hope the physicality element doesnt come back to haunt us in this game,....

Ruutu has it coming to him ,.....
    And who's gonna give it to him
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    move this party back to the garden

nice little scrum to take it back to the big city at gamesend,..

emotional ? maybe take it like this in the first 59:59 of the game also,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Tough one

Need to take 2 at home

Not sure if you guys saw this glitch in NHL'08..LoL

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7TNzkBBsc&feature=related
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • it is beyond me how they fucked up that no-goal, the whistle clearly blew after the puck crossed the line.

I'm not one for blaming the refs, but it has to be said loudly.

THESE REFS SUCK, THESE REFS SUCK, THESE REFS SUCK.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

Aggggggghhh!

Sun, Apr 27, 3:15 PM Pacific

These are grown men. The instructions are very simple. Keep your sticks down and if you lose position on the enemy, you are baiting the referees by reaching in with the twig.

This mantra has doubtless been repeated by Tom Renney twice a week for the past six months. If it hasn't, then the bench boss must shoulder responsibility for the myriad reaching fouls by his minions. If it has (and we all know it has) then we (as adults) must ask why the Blueshirts - completely cognizant of the dangerous Penguin powerplay - invite the whistle dis-ir-regardless their tuition.

Chris Drury tempted fate once too often and his team got burned. What's so irritating is that Drury's infraction wasn't in any manner relevant to thwarting a scoring threat.

That said, Michal Roszival's departure from his station in front of Henrik Lundqvist is what allowed (yet again) the enemy to post someone between all other Rangers and the Broadway backstop.

Roszival made a rookie's mistake. He had nothing to gain by sliding out as he did on such a shallow-angle threat if it meant vacating the low slot. All he did was take himself out of the play and invite Pittsburgh to crash the net for the goal.

This is a shame because The Swede played a superb game while his counterpart 180-feet away had little in the way of challenges.

The Penguins played a diligent, downright sensational defensive game today. The Rangers had nothing in the slot. Every chance (but one shot by Roszy) was from easy angles for Marc-Andre Fleury and the Blueshirts barely mounted a follow-up campaign with traffic until the very end when desperation overcame common sense.

Among the few times they did, Dan O'Halloran blew his whistle as the puck dribbled through M-A's pads and across the line.

Maybe it's just me. But I see far too much Jaromir Jagr and far too little Prucha-Dubinsky-Dawes on the power play.

However, I'll concede that when Gotham did skate with the man-advantage, there was considerably more motion by the quartet away from the ball than we witnessed on Friday.

Look. The Rangers played a solid game, though not perfect.

The Penguins simply played better(ly).

The officiating was far less controversial despite the no-goal. That said, I'm wondering why it took the entire game before Hal Gill got nabbed for his aggressiveness.

I don't recall which Pen was off the ice - I think it was Ruutu - but within seconds Gill takes a two-handed windup and slashes his check (was it Gomez?) as if he was batting a baseball. That should have resulted in a 5-on-3. Yet somehow Gill is permitted to get away with the same kind of stuff Chris Pronger and Derian Hatcher are routinely pardoned for.

Why the double-standard?

Because without the get-out-of-jail-card, Gill and Hatcher wouldn't have jobs in this man's league. Pronger still would. He's multi-talented.

But it goes both ways. Ranger fans must not forget that Ulf Samuelsson enjoyed the very same immunity when he patrolled the blueline in The World's Most Frustrated Arena.

If Roszival attempted what Gill routinely gets away with, there'd a whistle. If Gill was skating for New York, the 6-7 behemoth probably continues to garner perpetual forgiveness. So I'm not claiming this is an ice-tilting tactic by the zebræ. I'm admitting there is a double-standard. But it's applied at the personal level rather than by franchise affiliation.

• • •

My previous rant was criticized for being pessimistic and negative when Ranger fans could use any boost they can get.

Look. If you want rah-rah, I'm sure it's available somewhere on Al Gore's interweb. It's a pretty big place and you can find just about anything you want from the comfort of your own O'Sullivan major-assembly-required official computer desk with the genuine simulated vinyl walnut veneer finish.

I prefer objectivity... and cherry wood.

Now, I can be wrong. I can make incorrect conclusions about what I perceive happening through the eye of the camera.

But I will not varnish or sugar-coat that which I do perceive. And what I perceive is a veteran roster featuring lotsa thirty-somethings skating many minutes ninety games separated from training camp opposing an adversary whose most formidable weapons have legs two-decades younger.

That's one decade per leg, you see.

The only advantage for your heroes is in net.

Henke is a pair of notches above Fleury. However that imbalance is negated by the superior chances created by Pittsburgh in comparison to the rather benign opportunities mounted against M-A.

Doubtless Renney and the rest of Penn Plaza saw my first game wrap and pitched it as a motivator as if they're somehow gonna show the faithless furball just how misguided his prognistications are.

More power to ya.

So far all I've witnessed is that Pittsburgh is the superior team. They are better built for the playoffs because calls like Laraque's third man in are ignored in the post-season and Jarko Ruutu routinely evades the referees' radar.

Can the Rangers win this series?

Sure.

If you watched John Davidson's unlikely pinball to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1979 (as I did) you know that more daunting odds have been overcome.

Just don't bet your ride on it.

:
    platessmall.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    it is beyond me how they fucked up that no-goal, the whistle clearly blew after the puck crossed the line.

They always seem to blow the whistle early when the rangers are near the net.
    I miss igotid88
  • it's a league-wide issue, the inconsistencies from night to night is absurd.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • regardless if the whistle was blown too early, the rangers fell asleep during the power play that the pens scored out....henrik could only stop so much...there was 3 pens around the net against 1 nyr defense-men

but yeah that call was bullshit...so was the straka call last night which everyone agrees on in the nhl world.....also game 3 that I was at, there was so many calls that were bullshit against the rangers, that werent called on the devils
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • regardless if the whistle was blown too early, the rangers fell asleep during the power play that the pens scored out....henrik could only stop so much...there was 3 pens around the net against 1 nyr defense-men

but yeah that call was bullshit...so was the straka call last night which everyone agrees on in the nhl world.....also game 3 that I was at, there was so many calls that were bullshit against the rangers, that werent called on the devils

That pretty much sums it up. What is and isn't a penalty changes from night to night. Obviously mistakes are going to be made. Sometimes officials think they see things and there eyes deceive them but the inconsistencies and mistakes have been very glaring recently.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    im tired of complaining but the ref is standing in the fricking corner??? wtf

he needs to get behind the kcufing net and see a loose kcufing puck

ref -in 101
    hello,,, get into position :confused:

un kcufing real , just give this team a spot in the cup ,kcuf the games

we'll come back
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I was watching the reviews this morning, the first whistle was clearly blown before the puck was over the line.
    The "holding" on Crosby also clearly wasn't.
    Rygar wrote:
    I was watching the reviews this morning, the first whistle was clearly blown before the puck was over the line.
    The "holding" on Crosby also clearly wasn't.

if the ref is in position he can see a loose puck and not blow the whistle
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    if the ref is in position he can see a loose puck and not blow the whistle
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with that.
    I'm just saying - right call or wrong, he blew the whistle before the puck was in the net.
    Rygar wrote:
    Oh I'm not disagreeing with that.
    I'm just saying - right call or wrong, he blew the whistle before the puck was in the net.

yes but he is in the wrong position period

they teach that on the 1st day in ref school

im done with this dispute
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yes but he is in the wrong position period

they teach that on the 1st day in ref school

im done with this dispute
    What dispute? I agreed with you.
  • With all this talk of the referees, did you guys notice that you had two PP opportunities in the last six minutes or so?

Yeah didn't think so.
    With all this talk of the referees, did you guys notice that you had two PP opportunities in the last six minutes or so?

Yeah didn't think so.
    Were they legit calls?
    With all this talk of the referees, did you guys notice that you had two PP opportunities in the last six minutes or so?

Yeah didn't think so.

yea we scored on 1 but it didnt count
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    On top of the early whistle, I wasted a beer on that non-goal.

Bonus footage of Crosby in the off season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8zLSGvV454&feature=related
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    On top of the early whistle, I wasted a beer on that non-goal.

Bonus footage of Crosby in the off season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8zLSGvV454&feature=related

lol nice triple lindy

i hear they're bring ing in judges for game 3
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I fully expect to see these all over MSG for the next 2 games....
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/chromiam/?action=view&current=diving.jpg
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    hehe
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    once again crysby get the call from the league

such a great player and strong skater and he falls down with straka ??

straka shoulder to shoulder battling for position
    bullshit call little girl u should be ashamed of your actions

that being said we cant blow 3-0 leads

this team is soo fricking beatable

Anytime all season long that any player gets the waist-high hook into someone skating through the neutral zone, it's been an obstruction call. Did Crosby sell it a bit? sure, but every player in the league does that. Was it a penalty based on how interference has been called the last two years? absolutely.

it is beyond me how they fucked up that no-goal, the whistle clearly blew after the puck crossed the line.

The whistle clearly blew after the puck went it? Really, that's how you saw it???

Also, the ref was in the right position. He was about 10 feet away from the net, behind the goal line. That's exactly where he should be. He's looking through a couple of players and Fleury, and he lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. It's one thing if Fleury is scrambling, but he is sitting there, with his glove down, not moving is if he has it covered. That whistle is going to blow everytime.

I understand the frustration, but the Rangers themselves didn't even argue.

It's funny, the Rangers fans cry whey they get penalized at the end of the game in Game #1, but in Game #2, they had two powerplays in the last 6 minutes and still cry that they were somehow robbed.

Instead of finding fault with how your team is playing, and the mistakes that they are making, I guess it's just easier to blame the refs.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Anytime all season long that any player gets the waist-high hook into someone skating through the neutral zone, it's been an obstruction call. Did Crosby sell it a bit? sure, but every player in the league does that. Was it a penalty based on how interference has been called the last two years? absolutely.

The whistle clearly blew after the puck went it? Really, that's how you saw it???

Also, the ref was in the right position. He was about 10 feet away from the net, behind the goal line. That's exactly where he should be. He's looking through a couple of players and Fleury, and he lost sight of the puck and blew the whistle. It's one thing if Fleury is scrambling, but he is sitting there, with his glove down, not moving is if he has it covered. That whistle is going to blow everytime.

It's funny, the Rangers fans cry whey they get penalized at the end of the game in Game #1, but in Game #2, they had two powerplays in the last 6 minutes and still cry that they were somehow robbed.

Instead of finding fault with how your team is playing, and the mistakes that they are making, I guess it's just easier to blame the refs.
    the
    screw the whistle ,the puck was nowhere near covered
    the right position is behind the net
    a playoff series isnt ( won or ) loss(t) until you lose at home .

hopefully, the NYR can utilize the extra man found in the home crowds , much as Pitts did for 1 & 2 .

Lets Go, RANGERS !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Anytime all season long that any player gets the waist-high hook into someone skating through the neutral zone, it's been an obstruction call. Did Crosby sell it a bit? sure, but every player in the league does that. Was it a penalty based on how interference has been called the last two years? absolutely.

Also, Sid's been taking sticks in the face and not getting any calls, so everything balances out in the end.
  • chromiam wrote:

You know what i like about all this sid as diver crap?
    He has now become a bigger pest than Avery. Your whole bench was yapping at him while they should have been trying to figure out how to score on the PP.
    Jagr was livid, and a moody Jagr is a bad Jagr.
    so bring those signs, your only hurting yourself.