Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Jaromir Jagr faces Devils, demons
    BY JOHN DELLAPINA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, April 8th 2008, 4:00 AM

Kostroun/AP
    amd_rangers.jpg
    Jaromir Jagr tries to skate around Colin White of the Devils during a recent game.

He played like a man possessed down the stretch, probably not a bad way to enter a battle with the Devils. But Jaromir Jagr insists that had nothing to do with this potentially being his last chance to do something special in New York - if not in the NHL altogether.

He has ratcheted up his off-ice workouts in recent weeks. But Jagr maintains that is standard operating procedure for him at this time of year, not an attempt to get one more dominant playoff run out of a body that is now 36.

And as for the prospect of winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoffs MVP - the one remaining reachable threshold in his contract that would extend it through next season - Jagr refused to even entertain such a discussion on Monday.

At least for public consumption, that is.

Tomorrow night at the Rock in Newark, the Rangers' captain will take the ice for the 160th playoff game and the 15th postseason appearance of one of the greatest careers in NHL history. It also will mark the third playoffs in the three years since Rangers GM Glen Sather, coming out of a lockout that followed a seven-season playoff drought, handed the team over to Jagr.

Will this postseason be the last we see of No. 68 on NHL ice? Will it be the last we see of him in a Rangers sweater? And does the prospect make these playoffs more precious to him?

"I don't think like that, because I don't think it would help me to think like that," he told the Daily News on Monday. "Plus, I don't want to put any feelings out there like that.

"I think it would hurt people if I said I thought this would be my last year here. First of all, I don't know. And why worry about something you can't control anyway? Yes, you might be able to control it in some way. But I don't know anyway."

There is no clear consensus among Rangers brass about whether, barring a Conn Smythe run, re-signing Jagr makes sense for 2008-09 and beyond. But what is clear is that when many of the big-name Rangers around him were wobbling down the stretch - Brendan Shanahan and Scott Gomez due to injuries - Jagr was powering the team home with seven goals in the last eight games and dozens of indomitable shifts.

"It was not urgency," he argued. "First of all, I was playing more than I had played. There was always somebody out of the lineup, Shanny or Gomer. Maybe that was it."

Certainly, after two seasons of piling up points - including a franchise-record 123 in 2005-06 - Jagr was miffed this season that fans and critics expected him to produce at the same clip when he was no longer its offensive focal point. He didn't come close to reaching the 84-point plateau that - along with the Rangers winning a playoff round - would have extended his contract through next season.

But he says that advancing is all that matters now.

Asked if he had a dominant postseason left in him, Jagr laughed and said: "In my mother's eyes. My mother always says I'm the best."

Jagr's goal is to be the strongest player in the series if it gets to Game 6 or 7. Even if that requires wrestling with the strapping likes of Devils defenseman Colin White and forwards Dainius Zubrus and Mike Rupp every other night.

"All I worry about every playoffs is to be in good shape, in good condition, just to be able to do something," he said. "I have to make sure I'm physically better - or at least as good as them - when Game 7 shows up. That's the only thing I'm thinking right now: I have to be better."
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    my wife isn't too fond of this time of year, nor October, and come to think of it Football season isn't on her list of fav's either
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    my wife isn't too fond of this time of year, nor October, and come to think of it Football season isn't on her list of fav's either

its just starting.
    lets hope this bitch goes all the way till june
    and the finals
    against Det
    :eek:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

my girlfriend hates me this time of year (and in october). i completely take over the HD TV & living room.

sorry, not to be a dick, but the real world can be watched on the TV in the bedroom!
    just got tickets to game 5. now i just have to ask my boss for a half day.

anyone else going? possible meet up/pregame brews?
  • i'm sorry but the ticket prices are just outrageous.... im going to see the caps game 6 (if it happens) at the verizon center and my ticket was 37$ not 104$ as the cheapest
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i'm sorry but the ticket prices are just outrageous.... im going to see the caps game 6 (if it happens) at the verizon center and my ticket was 37$ not 104$ as the cheapest

i paid $45 for jersey and $55 for msg ?

maybe $104 was the cheapest they had left?
    got section 121 for $75 for game 5.

i think there are still individual tickets avaliable for all of the games at the rock, that are very reasonable in price.
    i really hope our fans bought up all these seats
    oh i forgot to mention ,,i had a dream about dubi scoring i n O T

I dont know against who or what game but it was def dubi and it was at msg

imagine that,, i dream about that the night b4 the playoffs !!!
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i paid $45 for jersey and $55 for msg ?

maybe $104 was the cheapest they had left?

I paid $60/each for lower in the 2nd level for the Flyers.... so $104 maybe the cheapest they had available at the Verizon Center, although I always thought their ticket pricing was alittle weird....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    I paid $60/each for lower in the 2nd level for the Flyers.... so $104 maybe the cheapest they had available at the Verizon Center, although I always thought their ticket pricing was alittle weird....

it has to be

no way is $104 the cheapest base price
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Yagr? I don't know if he can join the team but I like the way Jagr has been playing.

ha ha...you would think watching him all these years would have helped.
    Anyway, it will be interesting to see how he fares. As Dellapina points out, it could be his swan song. He is closing strong, even if some fans still don't understand why he is ineffective on the shoot outs.
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    it has to be

no way is $104 the cheapest base price

did you buy tickets for a possible game 5 at the rock or just game 2?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    did you buy tickets for a possible game 5 at the rock or just game 2?

no we only bought game 2

next friday is game 5 right? yea it is

ill see how the first 3-4 games go then see about game 5
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    no we only bought game 2

next friday is game 5 right? yea it is

ill see how the first 3-4 games go then see about game 5

cool, i might want to go to that.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    my girlfriend hates me this time of year (and in october). i completely take over the HD TV & living room.

sorry, not to be a dick, but the real world can be watched on the TV in the bedroom!

June 13th, 1994
    I had been with my wife (then girlfriend) for 2 months. She saw my apt...Rangers stuff everywhere, so I wasn't hiding anything. She wanted to come over the following night and I told her the situation (game 7 blah blah) and said it would be best if she didn't because I wanted to watch the game and wouldn't be good company. She insisted and sure as shit, halfway through the second period she starts with "why aren't you paying attention to me?" Hockey is more important than me?" wonk wonk wonk.
    At least she agreed to name our son Adam

I have 2 hdtv's now, one in the living room, one in the doghouse aka the basement, which is slowly getting more furnished each day
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    June 13th, 1994
    I had been with my wife (then girlfriend) for 2 months. She saw my apt...Rangers stuff everywhere, so I wasn't hiding anything. She wanted to come over the following night and I told her the situation (game 7 blah blah) and said it would be best if she didn't because I wanted to watch the game and wouldn't be good company. She insisted and sure as shit, halfway through the second period she starts with "why aren't you paying attention to me?" Hockey is more important than me?" wonk wonk wonk.
    At least she agreed to name our son Adam

I have 2 hdtv's now, one in the living room, one in the doghouse aka the basement, which is slowly getting more furnished each day

haha, that's hilarious! i've been with my girlfriend for 5 years and she found out real quicky how really intense i am about the rangers, but she still doesn't understand the magnitude/intensity of the playoffs.

i already told her that if the rangers win the cup this year, i am running down our block naked in celebration, to get the bail money ready.
    haha, that's hilarious! i've been with my girlfriend for 5 years and she found out real quicky how really intense i am about the rangers, but she still doesn't understand the magnitude/intensity of the playoffs.

i already told her that if the rangers win the cup this year, i am running down our block naked in celebration, to get the bail money ready.

Last year I set up a tv in the garage while I "cleaned" it. and by cleaning, I meant watching the game with a 12 pack sitting on the tractor.
    does anyone go to church on the 1st day of the playoffs like myself? just curious

i always go in and say a few prayers today
    im gonna throw up

my nerves are shot

take this way to seriously
  • Can't wait for tonight!!!

See you at the Rock...
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im gonna throw up

my nerves are shot

You aren't alone.
    It'll be ok after the first game (of each series), unless your team plays like crap....
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im gonna throw up

my nerves are shot

no worries! the rangers are going to come out flying, grab a quick lead and the devils are not going to be able to get shit past the king. giving the rangers a nice 1-0 start to the series.

(god i hope i am right. where is the nearest church...?)
    no worries! the rangers are going to come out flying, grab a quick lead and the devils are not going to be able to get shit past the king. giving the rangers a nice 1-0 start to the series.

(god i hope i am right. where is the nearest church...?)
    Carpool to the church!
    im gonna find a church down here

the waiting drives me mad

i wanna play NOW
    Rygar wrote:
    You aren't alone.
    It'll be ok after the first game (of each series), unless your team plays like crap....

nah dude it will be like this on friday..and sunday...and wednesday lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im gonna find a church down here

the waiting drives me mad

i wanna play NOW
    If you find a church now the big man is just going to laugh at you for praying only when you want something, and Marty will get 4 shutouts in a row.
    Rygar wrote:
    If you find a church now the big man is just going to laugh at you for praying only when you want something, and Marty will get 4 shutouts in a row.

well ill throw a few bucks into the candles and hopefully that will even it out
  • to clarify the 104 was the cheapest for round 2...85$ was for round 1....still I don't get it 50$ at the rock, 37$ at verizon center.....100 for pearl jam at msg...ughh, maybe with the creep leaving that arena prices will go down hopefully :)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore