B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    thanx for the memories # 2

you will always be missed

and will be a blueshirt 4ever
    I really enjoyed watching him play for the Leafs(even though it was only a month) i got to see his amazing talent and he was like 36 at the time, i could only imagine how much fun it was for his prime, great player.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Coyotes select Maloney as next GM
    Matt Paulson, Tribune
    The Coyotes have hired New York Rangers assistant general manager Don Maloney to be their next GM, a source close to the team confirmed Monday.

The Coyotes will hold a press conference Tuesday to announce the hiring.

Maloney, 48, was with the Rangers for the past 10 seasons. Part of that term coincided with Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky's playing days with the Rangers, from 1996-99.

Maloney was also GM of the New York Islanders from 1992-1995. The Islanders made the postseason twice under Maloney and advanced to the conference finals in 1993.

Maloney replaces Mike Barnett, who was fired in April after five seasons. Phoenix failed to make the playoffs in the final four.

sad to see him leave the rangers,but best of luck to him in the dessert.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Maloney out, Messier in ? ? :confused:

:eek:

BY STEVE ZIPAY
    steve.zipay@ newsday.com

May 29, 2007

The door is open for a Mark Messier return to the Rangers.

Don Maloney - the right-hand man for Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather as the team's assistant GM during the last six years - yesterday was named general manager of the Phoenix Coyotes and officially will be introduced at a team news conference today.

The former left wing, who also was the Rangers' vice president of player personnel, had been with the Rangers' front office since 1996 after serving as Islanders assistant GM and general manager from 1990 to 1995.

The vacancy means that Messier, who in February told reporters that he was interested in the Rangers' GM job, presumably will be a leading candidate to replace Maloney.

At the time, Sather, who allowed Maloney to seek the Coyotes' job, where he will work with Phoenix managing partner and coach Wayne Gretzky, said Messier needed some apprenticeship and did not offer any public support for Maloney, who is widely credited with a key role in the redevelopment of the Rangers' farm system through the NHL's annual entry draft.

This year's draft is scheduled for June 22 and Rangers coach Tom Renney, the team's former vice president of player development, presumably will have a larger role. Hartford Wolf Pack coach Jim Schoenfeld might also be a candidate for Maloney's job.

A call to the 48-year-old Maloney, who was selected from a list of nine candidates, was not immediately returned. He is believed to have been given a deal that runs through the 2010-11 season and the Rangers will not be awarded any compensation.

Maloney's departure could mean a new division of labor in the front office. Messier, who retired in September 2005, has no front-office, coaching or scouting experience and Maloney did much of the legwork on budgeting.

That type of experience is what the Coyotes will get in Maloney. They have finished last in the Pacific Division for three consecutive seasons and fired three front-office executives, including GM Mike Barnett, six weeks ago.

Several recent Rangers prospects whom Maloney advocated drafting, such as Hugh Jessiman, a 2003 first-rounder, have struggled. But defenseman Marc Staal, drafted in 2006, was sensational in the Ontario Hockey League and could make the club next season. Goaltender Al Montoya and forwards Nigel Dawes and Lauri Korpikoski are close and last year's first-rounder, New Jersey-born defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti, has a promising future.

Maloney, a native of Lindsay, Ontario, was the Rangers' top selection in the 1978 NHL draft and scored on his first shot in his NHL debut against the Boston Bruins on Feb. 14, 1979. During his 12 seasons with the Rangers, Maloney scored 195 goals and added 307 assists.
    Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
    platessmall.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    by the way if you haven't seen this "Spring of 1994" documentary on MSG, it's a must-see.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    It was NYRs vs NJDs

& the famous howie rose call :

" Matteau , ...Matteau,...Matteau ,...."

:)

cant believe its already been 13 years.

fuck im getting old .
    dude u think your getting old, i was 8 when i heard that famous call. i still get chills everytime i hear that call from howie rose and im not even a rags fan.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    a friend who i work with talked to mess

its all but done kids

our new GM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!
    NY PJ1 wrote:

its all but done kids

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!

:confused:

you mean assistant GM , correct ?
    Slats hasnt resigned yet,

unless theres really something happening that we are not privey to,..
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    :confused:

you mean assistant GM , correct ?
    Slats hasnt resigned yet,

unless theres really something happening that we are not privey to,..

ASSISTANT IN TITLE ONLY ;)

the canadian society dinner is honoring slats this year,, messier was last year
    my company has 2 tables but im not the biggest fan of his ,,so i think ima skip it
    although mingling w/ henrik and kaspar was fun last year

anyway bring on the moose
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    just finished the article on the sabres prospects and looked over to see this. thought I might share with you guys.......

Rangers Prospects
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    just finished the article on the sabres prospects and looked over to see this. thought I might share with you guys.......

Rangers Prospects

sanguinetti is the newest of that batch,...
    callahan will never go back down,
    immonen made a few appearances, scored a couple , and looked very good .

i would venture to guess that staal is now ripe for the picking.

oddly enough, i heard / read they were actually dangling montoya around in trade talks , just to see what he may fetch , or maybe snag a higher draft pick for him .

cant wait for sept.

platessmall.jpg
    NY PJ1 wrote:

its all but done kids

LET'S GO RANGER'S!!

Mess Stays Clear Of Slats

Mess steers clear of Slats

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 4:00 AM

Print Email Suggest a Story
    ANAHEIM - Mark Messier knew how it would look, so he canceled a planned social outing with Rangers GM Glen Sather today.

"I was going to go play golf with Glen up in Palm Springs, but when all of this broke, I said, 'I don't think it's a good idea,' just so I can say I wasn't there with him," a laughing Messier said after the first period of last night's game between the Ducks and Senators.

With Rangers assistant GM Don Maloney taking the top management job in Phoenix on Tuesday, Messier is aware that any contact with Sather would fuel speculation about the former Rangers and Oilers great moving into the front office at Madison Square Garden. Messier said it might happen someday, but nothing is in the works yet.

"I made the comment (in February) that at some point I might like to do something like that," Messier said of taking a management position. "I know how hard Donnie and other GMs work, and the commitment it takes to do the job. Until I know one thousand percent that I'm ready to make that commitment, I'm just going to stay out of it. When I'm ready, I'll throw my name in the ring and go through the interview process and see what comes of it."

Messier, who worked last night as a studio analyst on the Versus telecast, said his post-retirement relationship with his family - he has two young children with his fiancée, Kim Clark - will weigh heavily on when or if he pursues a new hockey career.

"I'm having the best time of my life right now," he said. - Ross
    platessmall.jpg
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    so when are you guys hiring Milbury?
    Jam out with your clam out.
    long red wrote:
    so when are you guys hiring Milbury?

right after you guys bring back spano,....
    platessmall.jpg
    Blueshirt Bulletin

May 31, 2007

[size=+2]Rangers trade Russell to Montreal[/size]

"The club has traded the rights to unsigned prospect Ryan Russell to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Montreal's seventh round pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft," the Rangers announced about thirty minutes ago. Unable to come to contract terms with Russell before midnight tonight, at which time he would re-enter the draft if unsigned, the Rangers got what they could for him. Presumably the Habs believe they can sign him in the next eight hours.

Posted by Dubi on May 31, 2007 at 04:42 PM | Permalink | Comments (21) | TrackBack (0)

[size=+2]Mess Not Ready to Apprentice With Slats[/size]

Mark Messier has not been contacted by the Rangers about the opening as Assistant GM, and he canceled a golf date yesterday with GM Glen Sather to pre-empt speculation that he was in talks with his former GM-coach in Edmonton and New York about the job. He later said that he is not yet ready to take on that kind of time commitment. See the original AP report and follow-up articles in Newsday and the Daily News. Messier also named the annual winner of his Leadership Award (Chris Chelios) -- Brendan Shanahan was the first winner of the monthly version -- and took the opportunity to make mention of the product
    platessmall.jpg
    Slap Shots

'FIRE' AND ICE
    NYLANDER'S PRICE JUST WENT WAY UP
    June 3, 2007 -- THE Rangers' expectation of getting a significant hometown discount from impending unrestricted free agent Michael Nylander has gone up in smoke, right along with the services of No. 92's club-friendly agent Paul Theofanous.

Slap Shots has learned that the invaluable first-line center, who was second on the team in scoring during the regular season before finishing atop the club charts in the playoffs, has given Theofanous formal notice of dismissal and is in the process of conducting a search for new representation as the July 1 open market beckons.

According to a well-placed source, Nylander, who as late as the May 8 break-up day that followed the Blueshirts' elimination by the Sabres stated his desire to remain in New York, decided to part ways with Theofanous the final week of the season after learning that his agent had reached an independent agreement with Glen Sather for a three-year contract worth $3.75M per.

Likely the NHL's greatest bargain the last two years in registering 162 points (49-113) in 160 games playing the role of Dr. Watson to Jaromir Jagr's Holmes while operating on a contract worth $2,026,667 per, Nylander is probably worth between $4.25 and $5M per on the open market, depending upon the contract length he seeks.

And though he will turn 35 the first week of October, Nylander is in a position of strength. The Rangers, who are expected to target Scott Gomez to fill their gaping hole at second-line center with Chris Drury running as 1A in the free-agent field, certainly don't want to be in the position of bidding simultaneously for both first- and second-line free-agent centers on July 1 in an auction that could escalate out of their control.

At the same time, they also don't want to enter into the unknown in pairing a center with the finicky Jagr, whose endorsement of his soft-spoken, modest, yet fiercely proud Swedish pivot is unqualified.

If Nylander does get to July 1, he will join Gomez, Drury and Daniel Briere - assuming the latter two become free agents - as the premier pivots available in what will certainly be a seller's market. The Rangers will be buyers, so will the Canucks, Flyers, Flames, Avalanche and likely the Stars.

Then there are the Caps - who presumably would jump head-first into the pool if given the opportunity to team utmost professional Nylander with Alexander Ovechkin - and Oilers and Coyotes, and maybe the Sabres and the Devils.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Slap Shots

'FIRE' AND ICE
    NYLANDER'S PRICE JUST WENT WAY UP
    June 3, 2007 -- THE Rangers' expectation of getting a significant hometown discount from impending unrestricted free agent Michael Nylander has gone up in smoke, right along with the services of No. 92's club-friendly agent Paul Theofanous.

Slap Shots has learned that the invaluable first-line center, who was second on the team in scoring during the regular season before finishing atop the club charts in the playoffs, has given Theofanous formal notice of dismissal and is in the process of conducting a search for new representation as the July 1 open market beckons.

According to a well-placed source, Nylander, who as late as the May 8 break-up day that followed the Blueshirts' elimination by the Sabres stated his desire to remain in New York, decided to part ways with Theofanous the final week of the season after learning that his agent had reached an independent agreement with Glen Sather for a three-year contract worth $3.75M per.

Likely the NHL's greatest bargain the last two years in registering 162 points (49-113) in 160 games playing the role of Dr. Watson to Jaromir Jagr's Holmes while operating on a contract worth $2,026,667 per, Nylander is probably worth between $4.25 and $5M per on the open market, depending upon the contract length he seeks.

And though he will turn 35 the first week of October, Nylander is in a position of strength. The Rangers, who are expected to target Scott Gomez to fill their gaping hole at second-line center with Chris Drury running as 1A in the free-agent field, certainly don't want to be in the position of bidding simultaneously for both first- and second-line free-agent centers on July 1 in an auction that could escalate out of their control.

At the same time, they also don't want to enter into the unknown in pairing a center with the finicky Jagr, whose endorsement of his soft-spoken, modest, yet fiercely proud Swedish pivot is unqualified.

If Nylander does get to July 1, he will join Gomez, Drury and Daniel Briere - assuming the latter two become free agents - as the premier pivots available in what will certainly be a seller's market. The Rangers will be buyers, so will the Canucks, Flyers, Flames, Avalanche and likely the Stars.

Then there are the Caps - who presumably would jump head-first into the pool if given the opportunity to team utmost professional Nylander with Alexander Ovechkin - and Oilers and Coyotes, and maybe the Sabres and the Devils.

YIKES!!!!!!!! KCUF
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    YIKES!!!!!!!! KCUF

theyd better not let him slip away

and signing either brierre and or drury ?

i know buffalo is not going to let both of them slip away, i'd be shocked if they let one of them get away.
    platessmall.jpg
    June 07, 2007
    Rangers Connections to the 2007 Cup

This just in: Ranger prospect Bobby Sanguinetti has been traded from the Owen Sound Attack to the Brampton Battalion of the OHL, where he is likely to play next season barring a training camp performance that forces the Rangers to keep him in the NHL (he is ineligible to play anywhere other than the CHL or NHL).

You've heard this one before, but with Anaheim winning the Stanley Cup last night, it's worth repeating: Todd Marchant played his first NHL game for a team that went on to win the Stanley Cup without him, that game being his one and only game as a Ranger, in 1994, after which he was traded for a player who helped win that Cup for the Rangers. Last night, after thirteen full seasons in the NHL, Marchant finally won a Cup of his own.

The season prior to Marchant's NHL debut, Teemu Selanne won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year after scoring 76 goals and 132 points for the Winnipeg Jets. Fifteen seasons later (more of them out of the playoffs than in, having won only three of nine playoff series before returning to Anaheim after the lockout), over a thousand games and points later, over 500 goals later, he finally got his first taste of the Cup.

Congrats as well to Anaheim assistant coach Dave Farrish, who started his NHL career as a defenseman with the Rangers and played his last seven games in New York during the 1979 run to the Stanley Cup final before being claimed by Quebec during the expansion draft that accompanied the NHL-WHA merger (read about it here).

On the other side of the ledger, a pair of 21-year-olds -- Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry -- lifted the Stanley Cup in their second season in the NHL. They were two late first round picks in 2003, a draft year that has already placed 27 of 30 first rounders in the NHL, many of them stars. Every GM selecting after the Rangers' 12th overall slot benefitted from the Rangers picking one of the three players who hasn't made it.

The Anaheim GM who made those picks was behind the loser's bench last night. When ex-Ranger coach John Muckler hired Bryan Murray to coach the Senators, he called him "a man with a great desire to win the Stanley Cup." Murray has now made three trips to the Cup final without coming away with the big prize. He took the Panthers there as GM in 1996 -- one year later, the Red Wings, whom he had coached to their first 100-point season in 1993, won the Cup. Now, he has lost to the team he helped build, tying him with Roger Neilson (the coach the Rangers fired in 1993, a year before they won the Cup) for second-most seasons as a coach without a Cup (17, behind Pat Quinn's 19).

Brian Burke, the GM who took over for Murray and won the Cup last night, would have been Ranger GM the past two seasons if not for Ranger owner Jim Dolan. In another story you've heard before but which bears repeating now that Burke has his first Cup, Glen Sather was all set to kick himself upstairs to President and give his old friend the reins, but Dolan nixed it solely on the basis of title -- he wanted Sather to retain the title of GM even if Burke acted as de facto GM under the title of Assistant. Burke naturally rejected the offer and went to the Ducks instead.

We all know by now that the lockout really had nothing to do with the NHL protecting its small markets. Still, that was the party line before and throughout. And that was despite the evidence that small payroll teams like Anaheim, Carolina, Florida, Calgary, and Washington were among recent Cup finalists while frugal New Jersey and Tampa were recent Cup winners. The argument on behalf of the low payroll finalists was that they could not keep their teams together to take the next step up to a championship. Well, guess what, both post-lockout Cup winners were among those recent small market finalists, so the NHL looks pretty good for helping them stay together, right?

Wrong. Three seasons after Anaheim lost to New Jersey in 2002-03 team, the only players left to hoist the Cup are J.S. Giguere, Andy McDonald, Rob Niedermayer, and Sammy Pahlsson -- four players. Gone from that 2002-03 team, among others, are Steve Rucchin, Petr Sykora, Matt Cullen, Sandis Ozolinsh, and Jason Krog. Only nine members of the Hurricane's 2001-02 finalists won the Cup there last year -- gone from that 2001-02 team were Ozolinsh, Marek Malik, and Kevin Weekes (maybe the Rangers are now in line for a Cup win with Ozolinsh and Weekes heading out of New York, and Malik sure to follow within one year or maybe less). Meanwhile, Tampa, after winning the Cup just before the lockout, has not been able to come close again after being unable to keep its team together even under the new CBA (or perhaps because of the new CBA).

only a few weeks remain till we make a dive into the free agency pool.

lets get a snorkel !

;)

Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    Since the big market Rangers won in 1994, there have been seven different franchises to win it all:

New Jersey (1995, 2000, 2003)
    Colorado (1996, 2001)
    Detroit (1997, 1998, 2002)
    Dallas (2000)
    Tampa Bay (2004)
    Carolina (2006)
    Anaheim (2007)

the point being that before 04, only four franchises won cups. the runner-ups have seen xx franchises.

Detroit (1995)
    Florida (1996)
    Philadelphia (1997)
    Washington (1998)
    Buffalo (1999)
    Dallas (2000)
    New Jersey (2001)
    Carolina (2002)
    Anaheim (2003)
    Calgary (2004)
    Edmonton (2006)
    Ottawa (2007)

the small-market argument does have some validity looking at the runner-ups but at the same time it comes down to hot goaltending, getting a break here or there (such as a higher seeded team being knocked out and avoiding a potentially unfavorable matchup).
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    interesting about the teams winning stanleys cup since the NYR in 94.

was just looking at the website for free agenmcy ( that hawkshore supplide here )

so we actually have nylander locked up for this season

but even tho we still have to lock him up unless theyre going to completely renovate, aand go against jagrs wishes. :confused:

and wow - look at the time we have cullen locked up for.

a couple of restricted FAs approaching - but i dont know what they even mean . " restricted " ?

:confused::confused::confused:

anyhow still will be nice to see some new FAs signed on july 1 .
    platessmall.jpg
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    interesting about the teams winning stanleys cup since the NYR in 94.

was just looking at the website for free agenmcy ( that hawkshore supplide here )

so we actually have nylander locked up for this season

but even tho we still have to lock him up unless theyre going to completely renovate, aand go against jagrs wishes. :confused:

and wow - look at the time we have cullen locked up for.

a couple of restricted FAs approaching - but i dont know what they even mean . " restricted " ?

:confused::confused::confused:

anyhow still will be nice to see some new FAs signed on july 1 .

With an RFA the team has matching rights if another team signs them, similar to when the Rangers signed Sakic several years ago. The Avalanche had matching rights and offered Joes the same deal so the Lanch retained him. The other benefit to the team that holds the rights to an RFA is if they decide not to match the other teams offer sheet they are entitled to compensatory draft picks from the team that signed them.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    With an RFA the team has matching rights if another team signs them, similar to when the Rangers signed Sakic several years ago. The Avalanche had matching rights and offered Joes the same deal so the Lanch retained him. The other benefit to the team that holds the rights to an RFA is if they decide not to match the other teams offer sheet they are entitled to compensatory draft picks from the team that signed them.

precise and to the point.

thanks again.

something tells me we aint letting hossa , or prucha go anywhere.

platessmall.jpg
    Hawkshore wrote:

MY BOY SAKIC,,THAT WAS A DARK DAY WHEN THE AVS MATCHED
    PACK'S STRONG SEASON A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME

Hartford's Al Montoya was the AHL's Goaltender of the Month in February
    6/5/2007

Hockey fans who cheered recent news that the Wolf Pack will be staying in Hartford can hardly be blamed after watching the team's performance in 2006-07. While the Blueshirts' late-season surge heading into the 2007 Stanley Cup playoffs was certainly thrilling, a very similar story also unfolded for the Pack.

After a slow start last fall, Hartford made an impressive run down the stretch to secure its playoff berth. The Wolf Pack then extended their first-round playoff series with the Providence Bruins to a Game 7 before losing 4-3 on April 29.

It was indeed a season to remember for the Wolf Pack, who entered their 10th anniversary campaign with the youngest team in the American Hockey League. By the end of December 2006, the Wolf Pack sat last in the Atlantic Division, yet by the time their regular season closed on April 15, 2007, they had gone 42-18-3 over the final 63 games to finish second with 98 points.

"It takes a while sometimes for players to acclimate themselves when they go from one league to another," said Wolf Pack general manager and head coach Jim Schoenfeld. "There was real big turnaround, and it was due in large part to the skill level of the players that came and their ability to keep working. It's difficult to lose games as we were, and some players would have given up, but this group was very resilient. Eventually, their games improved to the point where those that were scoring in juniors and in college that couldn't find their scoring touch here found it and so the last half of our season was very strong."

During the season, the league recognized many Wolf Pack players for individual accomplishments. Jarkko Immonen was named AHL Player of the Week for the week ending April 8, and Al Montoya, the Rangers' 2004 first-round draft pick, was named Player of the Week for the week ending Dec. 31 as well as Goalie of the Month for February.

Midway through the year, Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan were nominated to the AHL All Star Classic, but Girardi missed the game after being called up to the Rangers. Callahan scored the game-winning goal for Planet USA in the All-Star Classic and eventually found his way to the NHL as well.

In addition, Hugh Jessiman, the Rangers' first-round draft pick in 2003, received an AHL Man of the Year nomination for his charity and community commitment during the 2006-2007 season.

"Anytime our players get recognized for fine play in this league, we're all happy for them -- the coaching staff, trainers, office staff and all the other players," Schoenfeld said. "It's a player that's on the move, on the rise, and his accomplishments were recognized by the league, so that's a real plus."

Girardi, Callahan, Brad Isbister, Stephen Valiquette, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Dubinsky, David Liffiton, Bryce Lampman and Immonen all saw action with both the Pack and the Blueshirts during the season. By getting a taste of the NHL during their call-ups, these players gained valuable insight into what it takes to play at hockey's top level.

"The whole thing is a learning and growing experience," Schoenfeld said. "They realize they have to improve, so we get the benefit of having a player come back to us. Once he is over the emotional letdown (of returning to Hartford), he realizes that he still has a lot of work to do before he becomes a full-time New York Ranger."

In the midst of the NHL playoff run, Girardi and Callahan were called up to New York. The longtime friends played an important part in the team's success, and instantly became fan favorites with the Garden Faithful.

Schoenfeld sees the Rangers' future getting brighter and brighter with the influx of talented players in Hartford.

"It was four years ago where, organizationally, we made a strong commitment to having Hartford become a more developmental team," he said. "In four short years, if you look at the roster in Game 6 against Buffalo, there were 10 players who had come through Hartford who were on the New York roster. The commitment we made to development, and the expertise of our scouts in drafting fine young hockey players, combined with vision from the top, puts New York in a very good shape for the future."

from hockey rodent:
    Reports that Jaromir Jagr is contemplating 2007-2008 as his final season in the NHL may be surfacing now due to Glen Sather attempting to reformulate the club's five-year plan absent Bon Maloney who has taken the helm in Phoenix. Glen may have huddled with Jagr to explain the big picture and it is possible the future Hall of Famer was told he's no longer "strategic" in twelve months.

JJ's future directly influences the number and type of unrestricted free agents Slats pursues this summer, not the least of which may be Michael Nylander who (depending upon whom you listen to) might be seeking a long-term deal. Penning the Swede to more than two years is stupid. NYR already suffers an age/stamina handicap.

Does Glen go all-out come July for a run at the big pie given it's #68's last chance? Or does the boss adhere to the pledge to incubate talent from within and establish a continuously sustainable chain of promotions from Hartford each season to backfill aging (and expensive) legs?

With the likes of Joe Thornton potentially UFA in thirteen months and potentially available in March should Shark fortunes slide, does it make sense for New York to commit a major fraction of the payroll to Daniel Briere or Chris Drury?

As for Scott Gomez... This would be a huge mistake for Gotham.

• Officiating during the postseason was atrocious: Both on the ice and off. The contradictions of these kick-in goal rulings is disgraceful and likens the circuit to roller derby or Saturday wrestling where the striped arbiter seems always to be looking in the wrong direction when the pin is being applied. The decisions smelled of ice tilting.

• As for the diving... I stopped watching the NBA entirely many years ago when games amounted to palming and bitch-slapping and a flip of the coin as to whether the whistle would be blown. That, and the fact that the final sixty seconds of a game can take a quarter of an hour to play (when you count the commercials).
    platessmall.jpg
    folks around the league who presume CHRIS DRURY will leave buffalo to play in LA or COLORADO are overloooking the BIG MOMENT KID'S LIFELONG DESIRE TO PLAY THE BIG STAGE ON BROADWAYand the reciprocal interest the ranger's organization has in him
    --LARRY BROOKS
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    folks around the league who presume CHRIS DRURY will leave buffalo to play in LA or COLORADO are overloooking the BIG MOMENT KID'S LIFELONG DESIRE TO PLAY THE BIG STAGE ON BROADWAYand the reciprocal interest the ranger's organization has in him
    --LARRY BROOKS

He would look good in the blue white and red.

then again, that uniform looks good on anyone ,...

including Karel Rachunek and Sandis Ozolincsh .
    platessmall.jpg
    With hockey done for the season, player movement and roster management become the big topics for the summer. Some of today's Sunday columns have bits related to the Rangers. Larry Brooks of the Post( http://www.nypost.com/seven/06102007/sports/players_lose_ground_with_nhl_expansion_sports_larry_brooks.htm?page=0 ) discusses Chris Drury's desire to play in New York, despite rumblings here and elsewhere that his wife wants to go to L.A. If the Chris Pronger case is at all indicative, the wife will probably win out. Brooks also describes how the Rangers can manipulate the salary cap via bonus clauses for Brendan Shanahan.

TheEdmonton Sun analyzes Ryan Smyth's chances of returning to Long Island and mention in passing that the Rangers will be in the market for him and might take a flyer on Alexei Yashin on the cheap. Sportsnet.ca by contrast believes Yashin is headed to the southeast or out west. They also summarize Michael Nylander's situation, and say the Rangers will pursue Scott Gomez aggressively.

We've speculated here, with no basis whatsoever other than rumors of a possible trade deadline deal that never happened, that Florida might want to trade for Al Montoya as part of a solution for their problems in net. But a report in the Palm Beach Post listing all of the options the Panthers are looking at makes no mention of Montoya as one of those options -- like most teams, they have their own "goalie of the future" they can wait on, so why would they want to trade for ours?

We're not sure we qualify as "another Ranger-fan web site," but another Ranger fan website has questioned the accuracy of a translation of Jaromir Jagr's comments in Czech similar to our admittedly "rough translation", saying that Jagr was miscontrued. Their own interpretation of what Jagr said was pretty much identical to ours, subtleties and all, so they must have been referring to some other Ranger fan website. Given our limitations with the language, at least we had a translation, and one that came pretty close to boot.
    platessmall.jpg
    met him at the Garden pearl jam gig on night 1 - when they filmed the dvd .

i kinda liked darius , he usually had something funny to say . he also threw a mean hipcheck ( sometimes ) .

oh well. all the best to him,...

Blueshirt Bulletin
    In the news today, Darius Kasparaitis will have his contract bought out by the Rangers, according to a translation by our friends over at Sidearm Delivery of a Russian interview of his agent that is mainly about another one of his clients, Alexei Yashin (possibly heading to Washington to center Alex Ovechkin). From hokej.cz, if you can read Czech, a story on Fedor Tyutin -- we're not going to risk angering the translation police this time because, from our initial reading, there is nothing newsworthy to report, Tyutin talking mostly about the Russian national team as well as looking back at the Rangers' season. And food for thought from TSN.ca -- the Rangers get their off-season game plan treatment, which adds nothing new to what we already know, and in another article, available defensemen are discussed, including (via trade) Wade Redden and Bryan McCabe.
    platessmall.jpg
    RUMOR CENTRAL

Monday, June 11
    WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Chris Drury
    Sabres Sabres
    Rangers?
    Kings?
    Sharks? No Philly for Drury?
    Jun 11 - Everyone knows Chris Drury is one of this offseason's biggest free agents, but one team will likely not be in the running for the veteran forward.
    According to a report in the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Flyers will not go after Drury because the price -- and fit into the roster -- isn't right.

The Inquirer speculated that the Flyers will turn their efforts toward soon-to-be free agent and longtime Devils veteran Scott Gomez.

If the Sabres don't re-sign him before July 1, Drury will hit the market. The Rangers and Sharks, among many others, are reportedly interested in the veteran.

Some have also speculated that the Kings could be a leading contender because Drury lives in Manhattan Beach, Calif., during the offseason, not far from Los Angeles D Rob Blake.

Reports previously indicated the Sabres will have to offer Drury $6M-$7M per season, about what he'd be offered on the open market.

Friday, June 8

Dominik Hasek
    Red Wings Red Wings Hasek decision expected next week
    Jun 8 - The Detroit Red Wings said Thursday that they expect to have an answer on Dominik Hasek's future some time next week.
    "Once we know about Dom, it's like a domino effect," GM Ken Holland told The Detroit News. "But we need to know if Dom is going to play, for how much [salary], and then what are other free agents [are going to ask for]. We are in a salary-cap world."

Hasek, 42, made just $750,000 in base salary last season, but he gets an additional $450,000 for each playoff series the Wings win and another $200,000 for a Stanley Cup victory, according to the reports.

Hasek previously told the News that he and his family will discuss playing another season.

Mats Sundin
    Maple Leafs Maple Leafs Sundin close to deal?
    Jun 8 - After Mats Sundin received yet another confirmation that his hip problems weren't as bad as initially thought, the captain and the Leafs are coming close to a new deal.
    Dr. Marc Philippon from the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo., confirmed that Sundin will not need surgery for a torn labrum in his hip.

With that news, both Sundin and the Leafs are closing in on a two-year deal reportedly worth $11 million. According to The Sports Network of Canada, both sides are still trying to work out the structure and actual dollar amount of the deal.

Sundin, 36, had 27 goals and 49 assists in 75 games this past season.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere
    Ducks Giguere is Ducks' "top priority"
    Jun 8 - The Ducks don't have long to celebrate their Stanley Cup win this week. Why? Because goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere is set to become an unrestricted free agent in less than a month.
    Ducks GM Brian Burke said Thursday that the team's main goal is to re-sign Giguere, arguably the best goalie on the free-agent market.

"Our top priority now becomes to re-sign J.S. Giguere, to sit down with him and see if we can do something that makes sense," Burke was quoted as saying in the Orange County Register.

Giguere, 30, is set to hit the market July 1 and some teams will be looking to fill a need in net.

According to a previous report in the Los Angeles Times, the Ducks might have a problem paying Giguere. The Ducks' No. 1 goalie made $3.9M this season, but the team is set to pay Chris Pronger ($6.25 million) and Scott Niedermayer ($6.75M) big bucks, while a potential Teemu Selanne return to the team after a 48-goal season will cost Anaheim more money.

Dustin Penner and Travis Moen are also restricted free agents; they could get raises this offseason.

So, where does that leave Giguere? Roberto Luongo received a $6 million annual deal in Vancouver and some reports speculate Jiggy could command comparable numbers.

Ryan Smyth
    Islanders Rangers?
    Islanders
    Maple Leafs?
    Stars?
    Oilers?
    Avalanche? Latest on Smyth and the Isles
    Jun 8 - Ryan Smyth's agent, Don Meehan, told New York-area newspapers Thursday that he and the Islanders had preliminary discussions about a new deal, but that Alexei Yashin's buyout would not have any more bearing on whether Captain Canada would stay with the team.
    "The buyout is a consideration on a number of levels, but I don't think it's a critical or determining factor for Ryan," Meehan told The New York Post. "We have not yet had serious conversations with the Islanders, but Ryan will give the team every opportunity to sign him.

"He has not told me that he is committed to becoming a free agent on July 1. We expect to have conversations with the Islanders in the near future."

With Yashin out of town, many have speculated that Smyth would be a natural choice as the team's next captain.

Smyth, 31, was acquired from the Oilers on Feb. 27 for two prospects and a first-round pick.

Chris Chelios
    Red Wings Red Wings Why stop now?
    Jun 8 - Red Wings 45-year-old defenseman Chris Chelios still doesn't look as if he's ready for retirement.
    According to local reports, the Wings and Chelios are close to signing a one-year deal.

"Nothing's signed, but we had a recent conversation and we're close," Wings general manager Ken Holland told reporters Thursday.

Holland added that if the team locks up Chelios, the Red Wings will look to shore up a few more defensemen and forwards, some from their own free-agent pool.

Chelios, G Dominik Hasek, D Mathieu Schneider, D Danny Markov, F Todd Bertuzzi, F Kyle Calder and C Robert Lang are all set to become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Michael Peca
    Maple Leafs Maple Leafs? A return to the Island?
    Jun 8 - With Alexei Yashin out of the picture, there are rumors swirling as to who might want to return to the Islanders given the Russian's buyout.
    One of those players: Michael Peca.

The veteran forward and former Islander, whose rocky relationship with Yashin reportedly led to his trade to Edmonton during the 2005-06 season, could be interested in a return to Long Island, the New York Post reported Friday.

Peca, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, also played under current Isles coach Ted Nolan in Buffalo.

The possibility of Peca returning to New York all hinges on this week's talks with the Maple Leafs. In 2006-07, Peca played an injury-shortened season, posting 15 points in 35 games.

Friday, June 1

Sheldon Souray
    Canadiens Canadiens?
    Kings?
    Sharks? Souray mulling over Habs' offer
    Jun 1 - After locking up 28-year-old defenseman Andrei Markov to a four-year, $23-million deal, the Canadiens have an offer out to another blue-liner, Sheldon Souray.
    Montreal has made an offer to Souray, who is now mulling over whether to take that offer or test the market when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"We got the offer," Paul Theofanous, Souray's agent, told The Montreal Gazette. "It's May, late May, but it's still early, and we're just going to sit here and evaluate Sheldon's free-agent options over the next couple of weeks."

Souray had 26 goals and 38 assists this season, topping his 15 goals of 2003-04 and 27 assists of 2005-06.

Souray has said in the past that if the Canadiens make him a fair offer, he'd be willing to take less than market value to stay with Montreal.

If the Canadiens can't re-sign him, the Kings and Sharks are rumored to be leading contenders because Souray's daughter lives in California with his estranged wife.

Keith Tkachuk
    Thrashers Tkachuk will hit market
    Jun 1 - The Thrashers are letting Keith Tkachuk go ... for now.
    According to a report from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, GM Don Waddell said the team will not offer Tkachuk a deal before the veteran forward becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

After that, the Thrashers lose negotiation rights, but Waddell said he wasn't against talking to Tkachuk after July 1.

I won't rule anything out, he told the newspaper.

The Thrashes acquired Tkachuk from the St. Louis Blues before this season's trade deadline in the hopes that it would help them make a deep playoffs run. Instead, the Thrashers were swept by the New York Rangers in the first round. Tkachuk was in the final season of his contract, which paid him $5.7 million.

Monday, May 21

Daniel Briere
    Sabres Canadiens?
    Flyers? What next for Briere?
    May 21 - As the Sabres made another early playoff exit, they now face some tough offseason questions.
    Who will they keep: Daniel Briere or Chris Drury?

Early reports speculate that the 29-year-old Briere will be the one to leave Buffalo. The Toronto Star reported over the weekend that the forward will draw heavy interest from the Flyers and Canadiens.

Briere told reporters after Saturday's elimination game that he is "hoping" to be back with the Sabres. "But, at this point, the last of my worries is what will happen in the next few weeks."

Briere, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, had 32 goals and 63 assists this season.