B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    NY PJ1 wrote:

the Rangers are in no rush now, because Slats had approached Nylander 3 x thru out the season , and 3 times was told to wait it out, leave it on the table .

I think the NYR will use that as their leverage and wait till the last possible moment.

Nylander has to realize alot of his success were due to his right wing and the various left wingers he played with.

i hope they work it out and resign him already .

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    Bascially it says Nylander expects to re-sign with the Rangers soon... it's from a newspaper in Sweeden..

Nylander förlänger med Rangers
    Michael Nylander vill ha kvar Jaromir Jagr som sin bäste lekkamrat.
    New York Rangers svenske stjärncenter skriver nytt flerårskontrakt med klubben.
    - Det kan lösa sig när som helst, säger "Nyllet" till SPORT-Expressen.

Michael Nylander är hemma i Sverige efter NHL-succén förra säsongen.
    Samtidigt pågår nu intensiva framtidssamtal med New York Rangers.
    Sparkade agenten

Nylander sparkade för en månad sedan agenten Paul Theofanous – efter att han utan Nylanders vetskap förhandlat fram ett treårskontrakt med Rangers värt 26 miljoner kronor.
    – Jag hade mina skäl att byta agent. Nu jobbar jag med Mike Gillis, som jobbar seriöst och håller på att förhandla fram ett bra avtal, säger Nylander, som inte vill uttala sig något om innehållet i kontraktsdiskussionerna med Rangers.
    Klart är dock att Nylander, som fyller 35 år i höst, vill skriva ett längre kontrakt med Rangers.
    På söndag blir Nylander free agent på NHL-marknaden. Han har omgärdats av rykten om ett klubbyte.
    Trivs med klubben

Men Nylander berättar nu för SPORT-Expressen att han inte ser något annat alternativ än en fortsättning i Rangers.
    – Intresset är ömsesidigt, jag trivs med klubben och klubben trivs med mig. Jag har haft två riktigt bra år i New York och ser gärna en fortsättning.
    Påverkar det ditt beslut att Jaromir Jagr har uttalat sig om hur gärna han vill ha dig kvar i Rangers?
    – Självklart uppskattar jag det. Jagr är en stor hockeyspelare och vi har hittat en bra kemi. Förhoppningsvis får vi köra vidare i samma kedja.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Bascially it says Nylander expects to re-sign with the Rangers soon... it's from a newspaper in Sweeden..

Nylander förlänger med Rangers
    Michael Nylander vill ha kvar Jaromir Jagr som sin bäste lekkamrat.
    New York Rangers svenske stjärncenter skriver nytt flerårskontrakt med klubben.
    - Det kan lösa sig när som helst, säger "Nyllet" till SPORT-Expressen.

Michael Nylander är hemma i Sverige efter NHL-succén förra säsongen.
    Samtidigt pågår nu intensiva framtidssamtal med New York Rangers.
    Sparkade agenten

Nylander sparkade för en månad sedan agenten Paul Theofanous – efter att han utan Nylanders vetskap förhandlat fram ett treårskontrakt med Rangers värt 26 miljoner kronor.
    – Jag hade mina skäl att byta agent. Nu jobbar jag med Mike Gillis, som jobbar seriöst och håller på att förhandla fram ett bra avtal, säger Nylander, som inte vill uttala sig något om innehållet i kontraktsdiskussionerna med Rangers.
    Klart är dock att Nylander, som fyller 35 år i höst, vill skriva ett längre kontrakt med Rangers.
    På söndag blir Nylander free agent på NHL-marknaden. Han har omgärdats av rykten om ett klubbyte.
    Trivs med klubben

Men Nylander berättar nu för SPORT-Expressen att han inte ser något annat alternativ än en fortsättning i Rangers.
    – Intresset är ömsesidigt, jag trivs med klubben och klubben trivs med mig. Jag har haft två riktigt bra år i New York och ser gärna en fortsättning.
    Påverkar det ditt beslut att Jaromir Jagr har uttalat sig om hur gärna han vill ha dig kvar i Rangers?
    – Självklart uppskattar jag det. Jagr är en stor hockeyspelare och vi har hittat en bra kemi. Förhoppningsvis får vi köra vidare i samma kedja.

wow
    i shouldnt have been such the truant during Swedish classes in school,....

:eek:
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    the Rangers are in no rush now, because Slats had approached Nylander 3 x thru out the season , and 3 times was told to wait it out, leave it on the table .

I think the NYR will use that as their leverage and wait till the last possible moment.

Nylander has to realize alot of his success were due to his right wing and the various left wingers he played with.

i hope they work it out and resign him already .

:)

he better sign!
    any word on an extension for lundqvist?

i heard a rumor that he was seeking a 7 year extension right after they were eliminated.

he deserves 7 years, but i am very iffy about giving goalies more than a 4/5 year deal at a time. they can be very injury prone and their game can just go to shit.

i can wait for DP's 15 year deal to backfire in the isles faces.
    all these czech guys on NYR are over in Prague on a heavy summer offseason workout regimen.

since someone translated the swedish , maybe they can get us a Czech translation :confused:
    jk- its translated below :

heres Prucha ( looks like a PJ jersey )

Denik Sport

Blueshirt Bulletin

Lots Of Mystery surround Sather, what the hell ?

like this is something new ?

June 28, 2007
    Tracking Contract Talks
    News reports out of the MSG Training Center yesterday suggest that two key Rangers are headed toward free agency without any contract negotiations having taken place. Dan Rosen of the Record spoke to Jed Ortmeyer's agent Mark Witkin and reports that "there has been no contact between the two parties" on keeping the popular plugger in New York. John Dellapina of the Daily News, in a report in his Blueshirts Blog, called Mike Gillis, Michael Nylander's agent, to follow up yesterday's quotes from Nylander in the Swedish paper Expressen that a Ranger contract was days away from being completed. He was told that there was "nothing new" to report, which was confirmed by "Rangers sources," and that "we’ll talk for the next couple of days." Larry Brooks of the Post takes it one step further and says that "there have been no contract offers or requests exchanged" between Nylander and the Rangers, and that the Rangers hope to target a one-two punch of free agent centers Chris Drury and Scott Gomez, who might be enticed to come to New York as a tandem.

The Rosen and Dellapina reports are straightforward -- they cite their sources and state the facts of the matter. Brooks's report is dubious because he protects his "sources" by keeping them (he has more than one?) anonymous when there is no reason to do so. There are only three direct sources in this matter -- Nylander, Gillis, and Ranger GM Glen Sather. We already know what Nylander and Gillis have said, and had Brooks gotten his information from either, there would be no reason to keep their identities secret. Sather has steadfastly refused to talk to reporters this week, even denying official requests for interviews, so he is probably not the source, especially since he too would have been quoted on the record had anyone actually spoken to him. Coach Tom Renney refuses to speak about management issues even when they are already a matter of record, so he is not giving away such vital state secrets as these, and he never asks for anonymity when he does speak.

Who else is there? Only people with secondhand information at best. The only people in that category with access to that kind of information are notoriously tight-lipped, their mission to protect the secretive Sather, not give away his game plan. The only way any of these people are Brooks's sources would be by management design, in which case you have to wonder what they are trying to accomplish, including the possible planting of misinformation to disguise the Rangers' true position. And that would be good reason to hide their identity as sources. All of which adds up to one thing that we already know for sure -- Nylander has not yet signed with the Rangers. It only raises the question of how close he is to re-signing, a question which has already been out there the whole time, and the question of who exactly is trying to negotiate through the media (both sides, no doubt).

Rosen also addresses Brendan Shanahan's contract situation. Brooks has written several times about the ability of Shanahan and the Rangers to create extra cap space by taking advantage of bonus clauses for players over the age of 35. Never mind that the parties attempted no such thing last year, Rosen quotes Shanahan's agent as saying, "That usually involves a player of less caliber than Brendan. I would suggest at the moment that that isn't something people should read into." It has always been incumbent upon readers to draw a line between Brooks the reporter relaying factual information and Brooks the columnist relaying his educated opinion. Even by declaring himself a reporter in this case with the citing of "sources", that line has never been fuzzier because of the ambiguous nature of those sources.

Dellapina talked to Shanahan and was told that reports that he was working out with Gomez were wrong, that Gomez was in Alaska (he himself is in Cape Cod). Also labeled as "erroneous" were reports of Sather's trips to Russia to scout first round draftee Alexei Cherepanov, which one TV commentator ridiculed even as his fellow talking head first announced them -- some have speculated that the latter may have been angling for consideration as a candidate for Ranger AGM.

On another front, restricted free agent Petr Prucha told Denik Sport in his native Czech Republic, where he is working out with Team Jagr (playing soccer, as the Denik photograph shows), "It's not about the money anymore. I just wish to stay in New York and I don't care for how much." The brief report on Prucha's summer conditioning program also says that "he takes a nap after lunch so he could bear the hard drills of Team Jagr's work-outs." He said, "The summer drills pay off in the second half of the season." [Thanks again to DaTeL for the translation.]

Finally, if you were given an expansion franchise today, and you were nostalgic for the pre-lockout days when the Rangers couldn't make the playoffs but had their choice of free agents, you could put together an entire team of ex-Rangers from that era from the current list of UFAs (plus a couple more recent ones to fill the roster): Eric Lindros centering Anson Carter and Adam Hall, Petr Nedved centering new a Czechmate line of Radek Dvorak and Petr Sykora, Mike York centering Nils Ekman and Ronald Petrovicky, and a lighly used fourth line of Trent Whitfield centering Dan LaCouture and Chris Simon. On defense: Tom Poti, Bryan Berard, Mathieu Schneider, Greg de Vries, Vladimir Malakhov, and Eric Cairns. In net: Mike Dunham and Jussi Markkanen. Consider what most of these players did before or after their tenure in New York vs. what they accomplished as Rangers and you can see how much things have changed these days.

Posted by Dubi on June 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM | Permalink | Comments (18) | TrackBack (0)
    platessmall.jpg
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    don't know if anyone listened or knew about but the 1994 stanley cup was wfan's top moment in its 20-year existence as voted by the listeners.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Congratulations to The captain

even tho he is going to be in as an oiler,

he'll always be " the captain " here in NY.

congrats, captain.
    June 29, 2007

Mess Call

Mark Messier, to no one's surprise, was one of four players elected to the Hall of Fame yesterday on their first ballot. Messier enters the Hall as winner of six Stanley Cups, including the Rangers' 1994 Holy Grail, as the NHL's second all-time leading scorer behind Wayne Gretzky, and as one of the great leaders in sports history, perhaps the greatest. He spent roughly half his career in Edmonton, most of it along with Gretzky, and just about 40% as a Ranger, where he made the team his team, for better in the 1990s and (in the eyes of some) for worse in the first half of this decade.

Going in along with Messier are Ron Francis, who scored the killer goal against the Rangers in the 1992 playoffs, Scott Stevens, who bedeviled the Rangers for more than two decades as a hard-hitting defenseman for Washington and New Jersey, and Al MacInnis, he of the big slap shop from the point who, thankfully, played seldom against the Rangers. Stevens and MacInnis were teammates for the Kitchener Rangers, a franchise named after their one-time parent club in New York, and won the Memorial Cup there together in 1982 before going on to their long NHL careers.

One year after the lockout was responsible for producing probably the best rookie class ever, this class of Hall of Famers, one of the best ever, was likewise created by the lockout -- all four players, having reached the age of 40, were forced into retirement after a year of inaction. For the Rangers at least, the forced retirement of Messier was a blessing, allowing them to reshape the team in the image of Jaromir Jagr while bringing along a strong contingent of young players without the burden of trying to win once more for Messier before the end of his days as an NHL player. Reports on the Hall selections abound -- in the local papers, see the Daily News, Journal News, Newsday, Times, Post, and Record. Don't waste your time with the Star-Ledger (no link), who slap the Rangers in the face by leaving Messier last and least in their report. Elsewhere, see NYR.com, NHL.com, THN.com, and USA Today.

In a bit of prospect news, the Saginaw Spirit honored the Rangers' request to keep 2006 draftee Tomas Zaborsky on their roster, trading away their CHL import draft selection this year because it would put them over the two-man limit on imported players (see the Saginaw News). Sorry, folks -- could not make the final day of Prospect Camp today due to my wife's car accident yesterday. No one was hurt, thankfully, except the car, but I could not leave her stranded here in the boonies with two seven year olds, a puggle, and no transportation.
    platessmall.jpg
    Salary Cap Upped

Union: NHL Salary Cap to Rise to $50.3M
    NHL News
    Union: NHL Salary Cap to Rise to $50.3M

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL salary cap will rise to $50.3 million per team next season, an increase of $6.3 million from last season, the league and players' union announced Friday.

It's the second increase under the collective bargaining agreement that ended the yearlong lockout in 2005.

The key issue in the lockout that forced the cancellation of the 2004-05 season was the owners' insistence to include a salary cap and the players' association's unwillingness to accept it. The union finally gave in, and has had a financial windfall.

Teams don't have to spend up to the ceiling, but each club's payroll must be at least $34.3 million. The range from top to bottom is always $16 million

The first season following the lost year featured a cap of $39 million, and that figure rose to $44 million for the 2005-06 season.

a good read to warm up to tomorrows excitement:

i hope the Rangers stop with the game of chicken they are playing with nylander and just sign the fucker he mopre then earned it, granted he played with jagr but the guy did excellent.
    platessmall.jpg
    thing is fucked up
    sorry heres a repeat

Now, here is how we see free agent signings unfolding, beginning tomorrow at noon -- not necessarily in chronological order, and not necessarily a complete list of all free agents, but mainly those of interest to the Rangers and their direct competitors:

Chris Drury: Will not sign with the Rangers. Reason #1: He shares the same agent as Jed Ortmeyer, and he's not happy with the way the Rangers are treating Ortmeyer. Reason #2: Contrary to what Drury told the media during the Ranger-Sabre series, we've heard through friends that he actually grew up as a Ranger-hating Islander fan. Reason #3, trumping all other reasons: The wife always wins out (cf. Chris Pronger), and if she wants to go to California, she will go to California. The money will be top dollar either way. Drury will be a Shark or a King before the day is out.

Daniel Briere: Will not get the offers he thinks he should because of his petulant playoff performance. At the end of the day, with decent offers from Montreal, Philly, and Buffalo, none of them high end, Briere will choose to go home and sign with the Habs.

Scott Gomez: Holik did it, Elias almost did it, so why can't Gomez go from being a Devil to being a Ranger? The only thing standing in his way is his stated desire to be a first line center playing first line minutes, something he coud never have in Jersey, where the relentless priority on defensive line matching limited his ice time. But can he get that with the Rangers? Not if Nylander comes back to center the number one line, which would limit the amount of power play ice time Gomez gets. On the other hand, the opportunity to set up Brendan Shanahan for 40-50 goals may prove worth it. Our gut tells us that he will sign elsewhere, though -- not sure where, but not New York.

Michael Nylander: We believe he has already reached agreement with the Rangers on a contract extension, but that the Rangers want to wait out Sunday first to see if they can hit a home run on Drury and Gomez before committing to a multi-year contract with a player over 35. If true, will they lose this game of chicken, with Nylander growing impatient and accepting an offer from another club who loses out on the Drury-Gomez-Briere sweepstakes. At the end of the day, Drury will go west, Briere will go home, Gomez will go elsewhere, and Michael Nylander will be a Flyer, leaving the Rangers without a center on either of their top two lines. This sort of thing has happened a couple of times already to the Rangers this decade, most recently last year when defense was everyone's target and the Rangers ended up with Aaron Ward. It will happen again this year.

Brendan Shanahan: No brainer -- will re-sign with the Rangers for one year, for more than he would have gotten had the Rangers taken care of business in the middle. But threatened with the loss of yet another top line player, they will overpay a bit to get Shanny back for another year. The canny Shanahan knows this -- that is why he is waiting to see how the UFA season unfolds before re-signing.

Robert Lang: Ladies and gentlemen, meet the next incarnation of Nylander, a Jagr cronie who knows how to feed the puck to his buddy. Lang is aging and is coming off a poor season in Detroit, who don't want him back, but watch him pull a rabbit out his hat once he gets a dose of (as one of our readers so aptly put it) "Jagroids". With Jagr down to his last season or two in the NHL (and Straka too), the Rangers lose little by signing up one of his friends before turning over the top line to the next generation.

Peter Forsberg: Rangers will make a run at him for the second line after losing out on the top centers and settling on Lang for Jagr's line. But they will catch a break when the oft-injured Forsberg chooses to sign with a Western Conference team.

Alexei Yashin and Petr Nedved: The Rangers will be tempted to consider one or both of these players as low-cost short-term options, but both will opt to return to their native countries for this season, Yashin because he will earn more there than anyone in North America is willing to pay him at this point, and Nedved because no one will want to pull the trigger on him now that his production has fallen off as much as it has.

Dainius Zubrus: Desperate, the Rangers will consider Zubrus for their second line. If they do sign him, they will have to trade him by March, just like they had to trade Aaron Ward, when Zubrus and Jagr come close to blows in the locker room. More likely, Jagr will find a way to talk the Rangers out of signing him in the first place, if they seek his input before finalizing a deal.

Patrik Stefan: More desperate than ever, Glen Sather falls back on his old stand-by method of finding players -- the reclamation project. He will sign Stefan, make the case that at age 26 he is ready to break out, and that the tutelage of fellow countryman Jagr will be just what Stefan needs to finally fulfill his potential. Stefan will have a great month of October before slipping into Marcel Hossa land.

Jed Ortmeyer: Will quickly be picked up by St. Louis or Phoenix, JD and Don Maloney each knowing his true value. The Rangers will regret the loss of the intangibles he has brought as a spark plug on the ice, a locker room presence off the ice, and fan favorite.

Michel Ouellet: The Rangers will overpay for Ouellet, imagining him as a replacement for Ortmeyer with more offensive upside. But all they will experience from him is downside.

Ryan Smyth: Will get many lucrative offers, but will re-sign with the Islanders after Charles Wang offers him an outrageous contract that ranks third behind Rick DiPietro's and Alexei Yashin's in its insanity. He will have a great first half of the season, and then sustain an injury that reduces him to a shadow of his former self for the remainder of his career while the Islander continue to pay him for years to come.

Defense: The Rangers will target a power play point specialist but will quickly be shut out when the best candidates, like Tom Preissing, Brent Sopel, and Brian Rafalski, are re-signed by their current teams. Instead, the Rangers will pick up a young defensive defenseman (young as in under 30) -- either Cory Sarich, Scott Hannan, or Vitaly Vishnevski. Either that, or Karel Rachunek re-signs for a lot less than he made last year.

Goal: The Rangers will re-sign Kevin Weekes to an inexpensive contract commensurate with his status as a back-up, figuring that of all the available back-ups, he will be best suited to taking over the work load should anything ever happen to Henrik Lundqvist.
    platessmall.jpg
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    the only one other than shanny (he's comin back anyways) on that list of interest is Lang. Played with Shanny and Im sure Brendan would put in a word for him and then you can mix up the 2 lines. Nylander-Jagr-Straka, Lang-Jagr-Prucha, Nylander, Shanny and Straka.... I think Lang would look good on th PP as well.
    Thats it..we dont need Defense esp. since Staal might crack the lineup and with the improvement of Girardi and Pock.

Losing Ortmeyer is gonna be big, prolly a huge addition for either Phx or St. Louie but I think the Rangers see Callahan as a bigger potential player.

Wekes should get traded at some point maybe at the trade deadline for a 3rd line winger or 4th liner with playoff experience. Gotta start letting the Holts and the Montoyas learn the backup role at some point.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    and away we go, july 1 is here and now.

NHL Signings
    platessmall.jpg
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i hope we dont overpay for gomez and just lose nylander
    well still be short then at center

we messed up not signing nylander at 4 1/4 mil a few weeks ago

now its gonna be 5 mil maybe alittle more depending on the market
    i just got a great belated fathers day gift

my 2 nieces wearing rangers gear in a frame!!!

3 pictures jerseys sticks bibs lol iam soo happy:)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i just got a great belated fathers day gift

my 2 nieces wearing rangers gear in a frame!!!

3 pictures jerseys sticks bibs lol iam soo happy:)

sweet.

break'em in young,

now you gotta teach tem about the fish stick rivalry.
    platessmall.jpg
    according to The Blueshirt Bulletin , Scott Gomez is a NYR
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    sweet.

break'em in young,

now you gotta teach tem about the fish stick rivalry.

yea thats the next step lol
    July 01, 2007
    Musical Chairs, NHL-Style
    ESPN.com's E.J. Hradek is now reporting online that the Rangers have completed at deal with Scott Gomez.

Gomez signs seven-year deal with Rangers
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 1, 2007, 6:57 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Scott Gomez is staying in the Tri-State area, but not with the only team he's played for in his seven-year NHL career.

Gomez, one of the top centers on the free-agent market, signed a seven-year deal with the New York Rangers, ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek reports.

Financial terms are not yet known.

Gomez, who won two Stanley Cups with the Devils, has scored 116 goals in his stellar career and assisted on 334 more.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    July 01, 2007
    ESPN.com's E.J. Hradek is now reporting online that the Rangers have completed at deal with Scott Gomez.

woooo 7 years we need $ amounts
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    woooo 7 years we need $ amounts

and we need to know if Nylander has stayed aboard, or are we still short on the pivots ?
    platessmall.jpg
    what do u think about nylander now?

i mean he needs to play w/ jagr he has to know that
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    and we need to know if Nylander has stayed aboard, or are we still short on the pivots ?

i hope so,, i guss it depend on the money of the gomez contract

we could have had him for 4 1/4 mil doh
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i hope so,, i guss it depend on the money of the gomez contract

we could have had him for 4 1/4 mil doh

and to be fair, Slats did make an offer to Nylander , 3 x throughout the season , with Nylander asking him to leave it on the table a while to mull over.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    July 01, 2007

great news! but 7 years!?

i hope they now resign nylander.
    great news! but 7 years!?

i hope they now resign nylander.

i hope so too

newest update from Blueshirt Bulletin

July 01, 2007
    Gomez Deal Done or Close To It
    John Dellapina is reporting in Blueshirts Blog that the Rangers are close to completing a deal for Scott Gomez worth $7 million per year for seven years. E.J. Hradek reports the same (but without numbers) at ESPN.com as a done deal.

Posted by Dubi on July 01, 2007 at 07:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack (0)
    platessmall.jpg
    wow, things are happening pretty fast today!
    Damn, is it worth it tho.... I just hope and pray Gomez doesnt turn into Holik or some shit...
    stickboy wrote:
    wow, things are happening pretty fast today!
    Damn, is it worth it tho.... I just hope and pray Gomez doesnt turn into Holik or some shit...

we really do want Nylander to return also

Lang would be nice too
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    we really do need Nylabnder to return also

Lang would be nice too , but really only after Nylanders return ,. IMO .
    I just have a feeling with the whole Chzech thing and Shannys days with Lang in Detroit might make them lean more that way, esp now since they figure Gomez will be top line or at least flip flopped between the 2 lines.
    hello Gomez, and hello Drury to NYR

July 01, 2007
    Home Run! Drury and Gomez Both Sign
    The Rangers have confirmed that they have signed both Chris Drury and Scott Gomez to free agent contracts, according to Sam Weinman at Rangers Report. John Dellapina reports in Blueshirts Blog that Drury is getting in the neighborhood of $7 million per year for five years. He reported earlier in Blueshirts Blog that the Rangers were close to completing a deal for Gomez worth over $7 million per year for seven years.

Posted by Dubi on July 01, 2007 at 07:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (28) | TrackBack (0)
    Earlier today, rumors that the Rangers had signed Scott Gomez ran rampant. The Rangers denied that any deal was done and WFAN, the initial source of the iniital rumor, denied ever airing any report on Gomez, both according to Sam Weinman at Rangers Report. It appears that all early reports just echoed an initial unconfirmed rumor by the notoriously unreliable Eklund that was broadcast by Toronto radio. Still in the rumor stage: Chris Drury to LA, with several other teams still reportedly in the mix. What appears to have happened was that all deals that were close to being completed were swept off the table by one stunning market-altering deal:

Daniel Briere signed by Philly for eight years for a total value of $52 million with a no-movement clause (contradicting earlier reports of him going to Montreal -- that was just an offer). Briere will make $10 million this year, knocking his new teammate, Kimo Timmonen, down to the third highest player in the NHL (at the moment). It will be fun to watch a few years down the road when the Flyers can't waive Briere and send him to the minors because of him no movement clause. In the meantime, it is not much fun to watch nothing happen as everyone re-evaluates their position.

Gomez's former Devil teammate, Brian Rafalski, has signed with Detroit -- the Devils are disintegrating right before our eyes. The Isles are being decimated as well -- Jason Blake, Tom Poti, and Richard Zednik have signed elsewhere and Ryan Smyth appears headed out of town too, with no one beating down the doors of the Nassau Mausoleum to take their places.

Ranger fans can rest easy with Poti headed out of the New York area -- he is going to Washington. Another former Ranger defenseman, Mathieu Schneider, the one that Poti replaced actually, signed for two years in Anaheim for pretty big bucks. Former Ranger Radek Dvorak returned to his original NHL team, the Florida Pantehrs.

In early free agent news, before any UFA announcements were made, there were two Ranger-related signings -- Joe Thornton, whom many Ranger fans hoped to target next year, has signed a three-year extension with the Sharks, and Pascal Dupuis, whom the Rangers traded to Atlanta at the trade deadline, re-upped there for one year. Stay tuned...

Posted by Dubi on July 01, 2007 at 12:24 PM | Permalink | Comments (238) | TrackBack (0)
    platessmall.jpg
    Larry Brooks had it 100% right last week -- Drury and Gomez in, Nylander out. We had it 100% wrong yesterday -- we thought the Rangers wouldn't break the bank once salaries spiraled, instead they seem to have capitalized on the spiral, at least in Drury's case. Conference call with Glen Sather at 8:15 -- will report back afterwards.
    platessmall.jpg