2007 Yankees

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    to me at least this is the begining of the dark tunnel for the yankees ........

I think there were signs of that tunnel beginning in 2001. Sure, they went to the playoffs every year since then (and that by no means is a small thing, I would have killed for the Mets to make the playoffs every year since 2001). But, I remember my friend calling me up after they lost and saying "its the end of an era" and he was right.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    yosi wrote:
    I think there were signs of that tunnel beginning in 2001. Sure, they went to the playoffs every year since then (and that by no means is a small thing, I would have killed for the Mets to make the playoffs every year since 2001). But, I remember my friend calling me up after they lost and saying "its the end of an era" and he was right.

agreed they just don't seem to have any clue as to how to go about good baseball bussiness sense at all, plus i don't think they ever got over being beaten by boston in 04 " i just see a revolving door at the manager's position for yrs to come ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    agreed they just don't seem to have any clue as to how to go about good baseball bussiness sense at all, plus i don't think they ever got over being beaten by boston in 04 " i just see a revolving door at the manager's position for yrs to come ......

I don't know, if they sign Girardi, and are serious about rebuilding the team, and start to go younger and really work their farm system, I see the Yankees being able to stay in contention for a while. I think the more they work their farm system and go for really good young players, the more they begin to look like the Yankees from 96-00.

Hopefully (for their sakes, I don't care really, being a Mets fan) they give Girardi a chance; at least if they're honest about wanting to rebuild.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    yosi wrote:
    I don't know, if they sign Girardi, and are serious about rebuilding the team, and start to go younger and really work their farm system, I see the Yankees being able to stay in contention for a while. I think the more they work their farm system and go for really good young players, the more they begin to look like the Yankees from 96-00.

Hopefully (for their sakes, I don't care really, being a Mets fan) they give Girardi a chance; at least if they're honest about wanting to rebuild.

agreed about girardi but if he doesn't get them to the playoffs next yr fans will be calling for his head so the pressure will be intense for the next manager ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    g under p wrote:
    Good send his sorry ASS to the National League.

Peace

the cubbies makes sense but i think he bolt to Queens' new Citifield.
    fresh start , fresh stadium, and really sock it to the Steinbrenners.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Joe Girardi , in ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Yes it looks like Joe Giradi is in and don mattingly won't be back at all.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • good for the Yankees to blow this thing up - and really start fresh next year.

as a Sox fan, I couldn't be happier. But it's not the same as 04 when we beat the Yanks. The Yanks had a really good year this year, just fell a little short. Would of been fun to meet in the ALCS. There will be plenty of oppurtunities again.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,697
    Sawyer wrote:
    .....A Rod is gonna look great in Cubbie pinstripes:)
    The team with the longest WS drought, exacerbated by the fact the in recent years the other 2 long suffering franchises, the Red Sox and cross town White Sox have ended their nearly as long droughts, signing the superstar who has never played in a World Series because his me first approach seems to make the team worse instead of better...yeah thats a good match. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Joe Girardi , in ?
    yep I just got a breaking news e-mail
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Sounds like the offer has been made to Girardi at around a three-year deal worth $4.5 million. Also sounding like Torre may not wait around very long for a new job. The Dodgers are a possibility.
    Brian
  • As bizzare as this may sound the recent NY events make this past mess of a season all worth it. Here's why...

Girardi--I believe he's the man. He's a tough and motivating guy. We need some enthusiasm and fire and it will start with him. A great fit also to work with this young nucleous to build around.

A-Rod,...have a nice life. There's a great article in todays papers talking about how ever since A-Rod has gotten to NY (and the big leagues) everything is always about him. He's a ball player turned celebrity.

The Yankess are headed in the right direction of becoming a hardnose ballclub again,...rather than a high profile team with high profile celebrities.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    A-Rod,...have a nice life. There's a great article in todays papers talking about how ever since A-Rod has gotten to NY (and the big leagues) everything is always about him. He's a ball player turned celebrity.

The Yankess are headed in the right direction of becoming a hardnose ballclub again,...rather than a high profile team with high profile celebrities.

Agreed. Last night was a perfect example of why Alex has been so disliked. Is the ego that big that you have to make your announcement in the middle of the final game of the WS? That sounds like something a young George Steinbrenner would have done. The Yanks will be better in the long run with him opting out. Let someone else take him on.
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    Agreed. Last night was a perfect example of why Alex has been so disliked. Is the ego that big that you have to make your announcement in the middle of the final game of the WS? That sounds like something a young George Steinbrenner would have done. The Yanks will be better in the long run with him opting out. Let someone else take him on.

also i agree overall,

but i cannot help but think Scott Boras had alot to do with this announcement and its timing.
    platessmall.jpg
  • This move was all about the moolah. Great article by Buster Olney that was posted here:

"The way this played out could not have been more apropos, because A-Rod needs to be bigger than the game; he needs to be more important than the Red Sox or the Rockies or any other team, or any other player. He is one of the greatest players in history at compiling statistics, the greatest ever at compiling wealth, and his next employer will have to buy into that. The World Series can't matter as much as A-Rod."

I love hearing now that all the big teams are not likely to get involved. I've heard the Red Sox have no interest (Though even if they re up Lowell, SS is open) Cubs are in ownership flux, the Angels don't want to get in the major money. Nothing would be better than him getting a 5 year deal, 100 Million (major paycut) and spending halfa decade in last place. Only this time, The yankees WILL NOT be there to rescue his sorry lying ass
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    also i agree overall,

but i cannot help but think Scott Boras had alot to do with this announcement and its timing.
    that's exactly what I said last night, Bath. I don't think A-Rod had anything to do with it, I think it was Boras' idea

but I thought he/they were doing it b/c it seemed clear the series was about to be over
    it's not like he did it during game 2.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • I also absolutely love the Hank Steinbrenner quote:

I don't want anyone on my team who does not want to be a Yankee.
  • Allie wrote:
    that's exactly what I said last night, Bath. I don't think A-Rod had anything to do with it, I think it was Boras' idea

but I thought he/they were doing it b/c it seemed clear the series was about to be over

but didn't you se the quote in the Post?

“I got a call from Alex tonight, and he is going to opt out," Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, told The Post last night during Game 4 of the World Series. “He was just too unsure with new ownership talking about a transition where the organization is going right now. He is not sure what is going to happen with [free agents] Mariano [Rivera] and [Jorge] Posada, and if Andy Pettitte is coming back. He needs more time to assess where the Yankees are going in the future."

you don't think Boras would lie do you???? And maybe Alex thought he had 10 MINUTES, not days after the end of the WS to opt out. Seriously though, I would love it if Mo, Jorge, and Pettitte are all signed within 10 days, making AFRaud even more of a joke.
    I also absolutely love the Hank Steinbrenner quote:

I don't want anyone on my team who does not want to be a Yankee.
    he didn't waste any time calling it "MY" team, now did he?! Hee hee.
    Yeah that was a nice comment though. Also he said "he doesn't understand what it means to be a Yankee.'

he's so full of it though, a-rod, using the 'excuse' that he didn't know if the other players, Posada and them were coming back! Come on! blech.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    but didn't you se the quote in the Post?

“I got a call from Alex tonight, and he is going to opt out," Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, told The Post last night during Game 4 of the World Series. “He was just too unsure with new ownership talking about a transition where the organization is going right now. He is not sure what is going to happen with [free agents] Mariano [Rivera] and [Jorge] Posada, and if Andy Pettitte is coming back. He needs more time to assess where the Yankees are going in the future."

you don't think Boras would lie do you???? And maybe Alex thought he had 10 MINUTES, not days after the end of the WS to opt out. Seriously though, I would love it if Mo, Jorge, and Pettitte are all signed within 10 days, making AFRaud even more of a joke.
    I didn't get the Post yet

hah hah, "I don't think Boras would like?" Oh goodness. Yeah um, I have to go look for that bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. You don't really think that A-Rod just decided LAST NIGHT that he would opt out, do you?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Allie wrote:
    I didn't get the Post yet

hah hah, "I don't think Boras would like?" Oh goodness. Yeah um, I have to go look for that bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. You don't really think that A-Rod just decided LAST NIGHT that he would opt out, do you?

No, I was being sarcastic which I know does not lend itself well to the written word. Hey I wonder if Yankee fans can top mariner fans, who greeted AFraud's return wth dollar bills lured on to fishing poles. that was pretty damn good. You can read the AFraud story here:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/sports/yankees/option_offense.htm
    Allie wrote:

While there is no question that Boras is a showman who wants headlines for his clients, I refuse to believe that he did that without Alex saying it was OK. Doing at the final game is actually worse in my opinion than if he had done it during Game 2. Last night was the big spotlight.
    Brian
    No, I was being sarcastic which I know does not lend itself well to the written word. Hey I wonder if Yankee fans can top mariner fans, who greeted AFraud's return wth dollar bills lured on to fishing poles. that was pretty damn good. You can read the AFraud story here:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/sports/yankees/option_offense.htm
    thanks for the link,
    I'm going to work later so I get the Post to read on the train, I'll check it out then. I saw the cover of it online.

I think he's going to try for an NL team to avoid having to come back to Yankee stadium.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    maybe A-Rod leaving will make Posada, Mo and Pettitte more likely to return to the Yankees.
    Good point from Peter Abraham:

"Meanwhile, consider this:

The last time the Yankees hired a manager it was a broadcaster who had a losing record as a manager in the National League. He was a former catcher who was friends with Don Zimmer.

That was Joe Torre. You can say the same about Joe Girardi."

About 3.5 months till pitchers and catchers report. :)
    Brian
    NCBRI wrote:
    While there is no question that Boras is a showman who wants headlines for his clients, I refuse to believe that he did that without Alex saying it was OK. Doing at the final game is actually worse in my opinion than if he had done it during Game 2. Last night was the big spotlight.

I disagree, I think A-rod does whatever Boras tells him to do, He's wishy washy. Remember that, what was it, that World baseball.. I can't remember the name of the event but there was like a U.S.A. team and a team from the DR and he couldn't decide who to play for? And he couldn't even decide if he wanted to play at the ALL STAR game.

I don't care when he made the announcement and I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm glad to know and I'm glad he's gone.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • and there goes mattingly. A statement from his agent read on wfan says "good luck" to the new manager and also says that he won't accept a position on the coaching staff.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Interesting now. Girardi in & Mattingly gonna jet. Not too dissappointed to see Don go. His style is just to blah and emotionless.
    So who joins Joe G on the coaching staff? My vote would be move Pena to bench coach, keep bowa at third, bring in the aaa pitching coach (can't remember his name), keep Kevin Long, and find a new 1b coach.

My guess,....if torre goes to the dodgers, mattingly will go with him. Isn't Mattingly's son in the dodgers org?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Interesting now. Girardi in & Mattingly gonna jet. Not too dissappointed to see Don go. His style is just to blah and emotionless.
    So who joins Joe G on the coaching staff? My vote would be move Pena to bench coach, keep bowa at third, bring in the aaa pitching coach (can't remember his name), keep Kevin Long, and find a new 1b coach.

My guess,....if torre goes to the dodgers, mattingly will go with him. Isn't Mattingly's son in the dodgers org?

dave eiland is the triple aaa pitching coach and mattingly's son preston is in the dodger system.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't think Paul O'Neil has a desire to coach, but if he did having him as a first base coach would be fun. Seeing that fire on the field again.

Too bad i don't think he wants any part of it. Plus i'm not sure Paul and Girardi were pals or not...
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22