2007 Yankees

Comments

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Wow, Joe said no. I'm pretty dissapointed. In my span as a Yankee fan (beginning around 1980) he's the only manager who was a consistent winner in the Bronx. Gonna be weird not seeing him in the dugout. I'm a bit scared that his departure might not be the only one of that core group of winners. What do Posada, Pettitte, and Mo do now? By trying to pay cut Joe (and who knows if that weighed any on his decision or not) they just drove up the price for Jorge and Mo.

Guess we will sit and wait for the next shoe to drop.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    Wow, Joe said no. I'm pretty dissapointed. In my span as a Yankee fan (beginning around 1980) he's the only manager who was a consistent winner in the Bronx. .

Don't forget about Buck Showalter. I would love to see him come back, though I know it won't happen. All of Torre's success was with Buck and Stick Micheal's team
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    good for torre. why should he take a pay cut? the whole $1mil "bonus" per round is almost a slap in the face to him. he's managed the team to post-season after post-season regardless of winning the world series or not.

i am very interested to see what pettitte, rivera and posada do now that there is no more torre in the dugout. who knows what arod will do?

guidry will most likely be gone too.

from rotoworld:

In an apparent effort to prove they tried, the Yankees completely outlined their proposal to Torre in a press conference. They offered him a one-year, $5 million contract with a 2008 option that included $1 million bonuses for reaching each round of the postseason. It's simply a bizarre way to treat a four-time World Series-winning manager. At last check, spending $7 million per year on Torre wasn't stopping the Yankees from fielding a $200 million team and spending as much on international free agents as any team in baseball. If the Yankees were just looking for an excuse to move on -- and it seems obvious they were -- then they made themselves look bad in the process.
  • while I disagree with him (I think the offer to Torre was more than fair) this is another great article from Tom Verducci on the Torre non-deal

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tom_verducci/10/18/torre/index.html?eref=T1
  • while it's hard to say that a few million here and there is fair or unfair, the issue for torre is the whole respect issue. obviously he didn't feel it from the likes of randy levine and others. the offer would be fine if steinbrenner had not shot his mouth off.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • yeah, as I said earlier, the prospects of Randy levine running the Yankees terrifies me. He got them the new stadium, his work is done. let him go work for Rudy again. That Verducci article is mainly about Levine
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    while it's hard to say that a few million here and there is fair or unfair, the issue for torre is the whole respect issue. obviously he didn't feel it from the likes of randy levine and others. the offer would be fine if steinbrenner had not shot his mouth off.

agreed
    and why should anyone take a low ball offer to do the same job?
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • because you would still be the highest paid person with that job for one. Do well at that job (win one playoff round) and you would make double what anyone else doing that same job makes. It's not like they offered $35,000.
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Torre was all class. He was a winner and the face of this organization. He represented the Yankees as well as anyone ever has. We've just witnessed the end of a great, great era and basically the ousting of one of the most ever revered members of the Yankees organization.

Some of you so-called fans make me uneasy how happy you are to see him go and how so fervently call for a change with him. His accomplishments and demeanor speak for themselves. He's a class guy. The same cannot be said for many Yankee fans.

A sad day.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    because you would still be the highest paid person with that job for one. Do well at that job (win one playoff round) and you would make double what anyone else doing that same job makes. It's not like they offered $35,000.

It's the way they went about that's the problem. Lack of respect.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    It's the way they went about that's the problem. Lack of respect.
    has the boss ever showed respect

torre will be on wfan with mike and the mad dog today at 4:30pm
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    while it's hard to say that a few million here and there is fair or unfair, the issue for torre is the whole respect issue. obviously he didn't feel it from the likes of randy levine and others. the offer would be fine if steinbrenner had not shot his mouth off.

yes i agree and for people to think that it was so classy for george to state that torre will allways be a yankee to me is a joke after all he is the one that basically sealed torre's fate with the article about him being fired if they didn't advance in playoffs ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • In the world of professional sports, there is no rule that when your contract expires, your new deal should be of equal or greater value. Even so, like it or not, Joe Torre walked away from being the highest paid manager in baseball. Sure it was a pay cut, but other than successfully picking his nose, he did nothing from his last contract to warrant a raise. Yes he made the playoffs, but with a payroll over $200M and all stars all over the field, you are supposed to win, not get eliminated from the first round 4 years in a row.

See ya later Clueless Joe.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
    because you would still be the highest paid person with that job for one. Do well at that job (win one playoff round) and you would make double what anyone else doing that same job makes. It's not like they offered $35,000.
    it's the principle, FH
    if your business/job contract was being re-upped would you take less money?

plus the way George treated him, they'd have to offer him a raise to stay...
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Don't forget about Buck Showalter. I would love to see him come back, though I know it won't happen. All of Torre's success was with Buck and Stick Micheal's team

Buck did get them to the playoffs once, but that isn't the same thing as what Joe did. It's funny you bring up Buck though. When they got rid of him and brought Joe in, I remember thinking here we go again. George gets rid of a good young manager and brings in some guy who has never been a winner as a manager before. I really liked Buck and thought it was a huge mistake. It turned out to be a great move.

I know what you mean about the players and farm system that Joe inherited, but I think that was more Stick than Buck. And Joe handled those players better than anyone. Nobody has shown they can manage in NY like Joe. Nobody will label him as one of the top strategists in the game, but he handles his players and runs a team better than anyone out there.

Any new managerial names surfaced? The only interviews I have heard so far are going to be Girardi, Mattingly, and Pena. Sounds like Bowa (who wasn't a consideration thankfully) is headed to the Mariners to be their 3B coach.
    Brian
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    MY GAWD I am tired of this thread. The Yankees sucked again this year. Wipe your tears away and pick this up again next spring. Nobody cares about Yankees baseball - they are not relevant.

Unless your team plays in Colorado or Boston, your baseball thread should be locked up for the off season.
  • NCBRI wrote:

Any new managerial names surfaced? The only interviews I have heard so far are going to be Girardi, Mattingly, and Pena. Sounds like Bowa (who wasn't a consideration thankfully) is headed to the Mariners to be their 3B coach.

While I don't want Bowa as the manager, he is a great 3B, coach, and the work he does with the infielders, as well as baserunning with the whole team, will be very, very hard to replace.
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    MY GAWD I am tired of this thread. The Yankees sucked again this year. Wipe your tears away and pick this up again next spring. Nobody cares about Yankees baseball - they are not relevant.

Unless your team plays in Colorado or Boston, your baseball thread should be locked up for the off season.

BUMP...

no one in this thread is crying except for you.

there's no rule that says you have to read every thread on this board. i'm sure you can find a better use for your time than to read the ones that don't interest you.
  • NCBRI wrote:
    Sounds like Bowa (who wasn't a consideration thankfully) is headed to the Mariners to be their 3B coach.

that sucks if it's true. i hope the yankees are able to bring him back (at 3B or maybe even as their bench coach if they decide to go with mattingly).

bowa is one of the best 3B coaches in baseball. the yankees made very few baserunning mistakes rounding third over the past two years. he's also a great mentor to a lot of the younger players. he's helped robbie cano tremendously.

another rumor i've been hearing is that hank and hal want to send ian kennedy, melky cabrera, and chien-ming wang to minnesota for a one-year rental on johan santana...

i miss steve swindal...
  • If Bowa was the Indians 3B coach, they just might playing Wednesday night.

Kennedy is the only player that I would not want to part with in that deal. Wang and Melky as part of a Johan deal, I'd be okay with. Obviously the Twins would need more than those 2. I'm sure if they do make a deal, it would be contingent on having a few days to work out an long term contract so they're not giving up 3 cheap players with great futures for a one year rental
  • If Bowa was the Indians 3B coach, they just might playing Wednesday night.

Kennedy is the only player that I would not want to part with in that deal. Wang and Melky as part of a Johan deal, I'd be okay with. Obviously the Twins would need more than those 2. I'm sure if they do make a deal, it would be contingent on having a few days to work out an long term contract so they're not giving up 3 cheap players with great futures for a one year rental

i agree. but they're not gonna get santana without offering a package that starts with kennedy, joba, or hughes.

and santana is poised to become the highest paid pitcher of all time, so i can't imagine any set of circumstances in which he would sign an extension before testing free agency. if the yankees want him so badly, they can wait until after '08 and try to sign to him then. if the pitching staff shapes up before then, they might not even need him.

furthermore, melky is probably a-rod's best friend on the team. a-rod might walk if melky gets traded. if a-rod walks, the yankees aren't making the postseason in '08... so why mortgage the future for a one-year rental on santana?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    aNiMaL wrote:

It's NYC and Yankee fans always have something to talk about even if it makes no sense. I'm going to their Spring Training camp also with my Red Sox gear just to see how the Yanks will shape up next year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• i agree. but they're not gonna get santana without offering a package that starts with kennedy, joba, or hughes.

You're probably right, and I hope the Yankees don't go overboard for him. I'm okay going into the season with Pettitte (assuming he picks up his option) Wang, Joba, Hughes, and either Kennedy or Mussina. I even think Igawa may be an asset in bullpen next year, based on his work in Scranton, and the rumors that Scranton pitching coach Dave Eiland will be promoted to the bigs. I wonder if the price will drop for Santana if the Twins still have him at the next trade deadline, or if they'd keep him and get the compensatory draft picks? I have to say though, as a baseball fan in general, I'd rather see him stay with the Twins. I love watching them on the basball package
    another rumor i've been hearing is that hank and hal want to send ian kennedy, melky cabrera, and chien-ming wang to minnesota for a one-year rental on johan santana...

i miss steve swindal...

I will be dissapointed if they went crazy trying to trade for Santana. As soon as you do that, his arm will fall apart. Let someone else mortgage their future on him in a trade.

Girardi audio on today's interview in Tampa: http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Larussa is staying in St. Louis so it looks like he is out. Still only 3 known candidates.

Bowa hasn't taken the Seattle job yet. He would like to stay with the Yanks. You guys are right about him being a good 3B coach. I can't disagree with that. I just don't want to see him as manager. I don't think he did a great job with the Phils.
    Brian
    what do we all think of this rumour that Levine allegedly made the 'low' $ offer to Joe on purpose, knowing he would refuse it?
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • You're probably right, and I hope the Yankees don't go overboard for him. I'm okay going into the season with Pettitte (assuming he picks up his option) Wang, Joba, Hughes, and either Kennedy or Mussina. I even think Igawa may be an asset in bullpen next year, based on his work in Scranton, and the rumors that Scranton pitching coach Dave Eiland will be promoted to the bigs. I wonder if the price will drop for Santana if the Twins still have him at the next trade deadline, or if they'd keep him and get the compensatory draft picks? I have to say though, as a baseball fan in general, I'd rather see him stay with the Twins. I love watching them on the basball package

igawa, sean henn, and chase wright will likely be competing for a bullpen spot if the yankees don't land a lefty free agent. igawa walks too many people to be an effective relief pitcher. he'll need to show better control during spring training to have a chance at the job.

the yankees like dave eiland a lot. guidry's days were numbered when they gave eiland a "september call up" this year (supposedly to help ian kennedy with his transition). he was given most of the credit for turning around phil hughes' season after a mediocre august.

ideally, the twins would wait until the deadline to decide if they want to trade santana. if liriano comes back healthy, they could be the world series favorites in '08. if scott baker, matt garza, and boof bonser live up to their potential, that could be one of the better rotations in recent memory. so it wouldn't really make sense for them to bail on santana before these questions are answered.

peter abraham wrote today that chien-ming wang wouldn't be a good fit for the twins. i agree with his reasoning.

right now, it seems like a trade that doesn't make sense for either team. i'm hoping that the tampa trio will somehow realize this.

and i agree with you that it would be better for baseball if santana stayed with the twins. they could make a huge statement to their fans and to other small market teams by re-signing him. a player of santana's caliber would likely generate enough revenue to offset a lot of the cost. aren't the twins moving into a new stadium in a few years?
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I will be dissapointed if they went crazy trying to trade for Santana. As soon as you do that, his arm will fall apart. Let someone else mortgage their future on him in a trade.

Girardi audio on today's interview in Tampa: http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Larussa is staying in St. Louis so it looks like he is out. Still only 3 known candidates.

Bowa hasn't taken the Seattle job yet. He would like to stay with the Yanks. You guys are right about him being a good 3B coach. I can't disagree with that. I just don't want to see him as manager. I don't think he did a great job with the Phils.

santana should be a cy young-caliber pitcher for about three or four more years. what concerns me more is the transition to a big market. there's never a guarantee that a pitcher can come to new york and duplicate the success he had in minnesota. even for a pitcher as good as santana, it's still a risk that has to be factored in. new york is a completely different environment.

regarding the bowa article, it sounds like cashman isn't looking to bring him back. that sucks...

the yankees have three managerial candidates who are much more qualified than larry bowa right now. but i'm not gonna judge bowa based on what he did with the phillies. joe torre was a terrible manager before coming to the yankees. things change.
  • Allie wrote:
    what do we all think of this rumour that Levine allegedly made the 'low' $ offer to Joe on purpose, knowing he would refuse it?

the statements issued by levine and cashman sounded pre-written and rehearsed. based on that, i'd have to guess that they were anticipating torre's rejection. also, the email from yankees.com showed up suspiciously quickly (although i'm not sure if the front office actually runs the website).

you can't offer a one-year deal to a manager. it isn't fair to anyone who puts on the uniform that year. torre said he would have accepted a two-year deal even with the pay cut. but randy levine clearly had no intention of negotiating.

if they wanted him gone, all they had to do was hold a press conference to say that they were going in a new direction after twelve years. therefore, they wouldn't be offering him a new contract. then they could BS for a while about how much respect they had for torre, good luck in the future, etc... how hard would that have been???

BTW, jeter released this statement today:

“Out of my great respect for Mr. Torre, I have refrained from comment until he had a chance to address the public.

“In my eyes, Joe Torre is more than a Hall of Fame manager. He is a friend for life, and the relationship we have shared has helped shape me in ways that transcend the game of baseball. His class, dignity, and the way he respected those around him – from ballplayers to batboys – are all qualities that are easy to admire, but difficult to duplicate.

“I have known Mr. Torre for a good majority of my adult life, and there has been no bigger influence on my professional development. It was a privilege to play for him on the field, and an honor to learn from him off the field.”
    the statements issued by levine and cashman sounded pre-written and rehearsed. based on that, i'd have to guess that they were anticipating torre's rejection. also, the email from yankees.com showed up suspiciously quickly (although i'm not sure if the front office actually runs the website).

you can't offer a one-year deal to a manager. it isn't fair to anyone who puts on the uniform that year. torre said he would have accepted a two-year deal even with the pay cut. but randy levine clearly had no intention of negotiating.

if they wanted him gone, all they had to do was hold a press conference to say that they were going in a new direction after twelve years. therefore, they wouldn't be offering him a new contract. then they could BS for a while about how much respect they had for torre, good luck in the future, etc... how hard would that have been???

BTW, jeter released this statement today:

“Out of my great respect for Mr. Torre, I have refrained from comment until he had a chance to address the public.

“In my eyes, Joe Torre is more than a Hall of Fame manager. He is a friend for life, and the relationship we have shared has helped shape me in ways that transcend the game of baseball. His class, dignity, and the way he respected those around him – from ballplayers to batboys – are all qualities that are easy to admire, but difficult to duplicate.

“I have known Mr. Torre for a good majority of my adult life, and there has been no bigger influence on my professional development. It was a privilege to play for him on the field, and an honor to learn from him off the field.”
    <sigh>
    I love Derek :)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated is reporting 2 very big things

1. Joe Girardi will likely be announced as the new manager tomorrow

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2007/10/28/yanks.giardi.offer/index.html

2. Arod has already opted out of his contract

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2007/10/28/rodriguez.contract/index.html

ESPN is now reporting it. It's official. So long ARod, I guess you were full of shit when you said you really wanted to finish your career with the Yankees