2007 Yankees

Comments

• I think that's more a reflection of Steinbrenner and people like Randy Levine than the players and coaching staff. There's no doubt that the players and coaches worked hard - the non-baseball people just don't seem to realize that no matter how much money is spent the players are human and do not succeed all the time and that is extremely difficult to win 11 games every single October. That's the reality of it, whether Big Stein and his cronies want to hear it.

True. I think the article was just trying to say if you watched some of the other teams in the playoffs they all had that playoff aura,..hungry and determined to win. The 90's yanks were the epitome of that. Unfortunately the Yanks of the past few years had none of the playoff drive. I think thats what Lupica was trying to say in a glorified way.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • At what point do people actually start letting Jeter hear it? I mean he single handedly killed Arod's psyche, and now he continues to choke in the postseason. He's a great player, but I think you need good hitters to hit good pitching in the postseason and he didn't do it.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • True. I think the article was just trying to say if you watched some of the other teams in the playoffs they all had that playoff aura,..hungry and determined to win. The 90's yanks were the epitome of that. Unfortunately the Yanks of the past few years had none of the playoff drive. I think thats what Lupica was trying to say in a glorified way.

I think they do and that they're pressing hard enough and maybe too hard to prove that they do.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • At what point do people actually start letting Jeter hear it? I mean he single handedly killed Arod's psyche, and now he continues to choke in the postseason. He's a great player, but I think you need good hitters to hit good pitching in the postseason and he didn't do it.
    As a diehard NYY fan I actually agree with this to a certain degree. Jeter has a constant get out of jail free card in NY. Here's the part I agree with; to me this year Jeter did not look the same. Yes he had good numbers and was solid as usual. With the exception of the bomb 3 run homer he hit off Schilling to win the game in Boston he was not very good in big situations. A lot of hitting into double plays and a little sloppier D. Of course he can't always have the year he had last year. He just seemed a little mentally checked out this year. Not much emotion and not good leadership. Maybe he's a little taken back by the high profile indviduals that were the Yanks this year??
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I mentioned this to X-Man, but I can't believe the press haven't blamed Marty Miller (that poor trainer who did nothing wrong in the spring) for the loss. Hell everyone's getting a finger pointed at them.
    I love to turn you on
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    As a diehard NYY fan I actually agree with this to a certain degree. Jeter has a constant get out of jail free card in NY. Here's the part I agree with; to me this year Jeter did not look the same. Yes he had good numbers and was solid as usual. With the exception of the bomb 3 run homer he hit off Schilling to win the game in Boston he was not very good in big situations. A lot of hitting into double plays and a little sloppier D. Of course he can't always have the year he had last year. He just seemed a little mentally checked out this year. Not much emotion and not good leadership. Maybe he's a little taken back by the high profile indviduals that were the Yanks this year??

I don't think so, I think his knee was busted up and he was in pain. He looked worn out and he'd been playing like that for a while. I think it finally caught up w/him.

My dad said on Mike and MD they're talking about Mo said if Joe doesn't come back neither will he! Yipes.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    Allie wrote:
    I don't think so, I think his knee was busted up and he was in pain. He looked worn out and he'd been playing like that for a while. I think it finally caught up w/him.

My dad said on Mike and MD they're talking about Mo said if Joe doesn't come back neither will he! Yipes.
    thats waht I said yest. Jeter was playing in pain for a while now, but hes not the type who's gonna say anything. The guy NEVER makes excuses...does he know he didnt come thru this yr? Im sure, but the shit he's done for us for yrs...yea I'll let Cap slide this time.

I saw on espn yest Mo saying that "the yankees had an opportunity to do something with me and they didnt. Now I wanna test the market. Nothing personal against the yankees its just business"

I think he's just pissed right now, but I'd be very upset if we lost Mo...hes another that should retire in pinstripes, next to Jorge and Jeet.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • I mentioned this to X-Man, but I can't believe the press haven't blamed Marty Miller (that poor trainer who did nothing wrong in the spring) for the loss. Hell everyone's getting a finger pointed at them.

the press didn't need to blame him, the yankees did that in may when they fired him for the rash of hamstring injuries that may or not have been related to his workout programs.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    jumping the gun a bit talking about all your minor leaguers like they're going to come up and be the next batch of jeter, rivera, posada, etc. you think?

the yanks will always have money to spend. this is year 1 of cashman's plan to infuse homegrown (ie-cheap) talent that can perform/excel at the major league level (joba, hughes, kennedy, etc) and bring in the right free agents.

it is what the red sox and the rest of baseball (at least the much bigger payrolled clubs) are trying to do.
  • JSBE wrote:
    jumping the gun a bit talking about all your minor leaguers like they're going to come up and be the next batch of jeter, rivera, posada, etc. you think?

the yanks will always have money to spend. this is year 1 of cashman's plan to infuse homegrown (ie-cheap) talent that can perform/excel at the major league level (joba, hughes, kennedy, etc) and bring in the right free agents.

it is what the red sox and the rest of baseball (at least the much bigger payrolled clubs) are trying to do.

who said anything close to that?

several people asked if the yankees had any catching prospects in their system. i responded with the names and descriptions of several players who could potentially reach the major leagues around the time that posada retires (assuming he re-signs).

if russell martin or joe mauer happen to find their way onto the free agent market before then, well... great...

but for now, the "right" free agent is the one who can perform without commanding a five-year deal or costing the yankees their first round pick.

and that applies mostly to the bullpen right now. maybe they'll bring in an arm or two to go along with the young players who brian cashman is undoubtedly hoping will be able to contribute in the near future.

a lot of people in this thread seem to think the yankees need to sign another big-name outfielder. is that really gonna fix the problem?
  • Another interesting article today in NYC...
    I first saw it on yahoo sports news, i'm pretty sure its in the post or daily news as well. Anyway the article title says ....."for the first time a yankee failure falls on Jeter." I copied & pasted most of the article here it is....

This time the shortstop, Derek Jeter, the captain of the New York Yankees, hurt the team every bit as much as the third baseman did. It goes on his record with all the winning.

This one goes on him, really for the first time.

After all the hits he has gotten at this time of year, after all the plays he has made, The Flip against Oakland in 2001 is the greatest play in Yankee postseason history, which means all the Octobers, this time Jeter left even more runners on base than A-Rod did.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

stickboy wrote:
    thats waht I said yest. Jeter was playing in pain for a while now, but hes not the type who's gonna say anything. The guy NEVER makes excuses...does he know he didnt come thru this yr? Im sure, but the shit he's done for us for yrs...yea I'll let Cap slide this time.

I saw on espn yest Mo saying that "the yankees had an opportunity to do something with me and they didnt. Now I wanna test the market. Nothing personal against the yankees its just business"

I think he's just pissed right now, but I'd be very upset if we lost Mo...hes another that should retire in pinstripes, next to Jorge and Jeet.

Oh I didn't see what you said :) I guess DJ Fans thinks alike :)
    I think Mo is for real though, he's real loyal to Joe. I don't think he'll come back. I don't think he's the type to make an 'empty threat'
    He should def. retire in pinstripes though, for sure
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Another interesting article today in NYC...
    I first saw it on yahoo sports news, i'm pretty sure its in the post or daily news as well. Anyway the article title says ....."for the first time a yankee failure falls on Jeter." I copied & pasted most of the article here it is....

This time the shortstop, Derek Jeter, the captain of the New York Yankees, hurt the team every bit as much as the third baseman did. It goes on his record with all the winning.

This one goes on him, really for the first time.

After all the hits he has gotten at this time of year, after all the plays he has made, The Flip against Oakland in 2001 is the greatest play in Yankee postseason history, which means all the Octobers, this time Jeter left even more runners on base than A-Rod did.

Oh I didn't see it yet in the paper, I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks.

The Flip! is classic for sure
    I mean I don't think it's fair to pin it all on him, nobody really hit all that much, except for a solo HR here and there. Ultimately Sabathia and Carmona were better than our guys and that's all there is to it.
    I can't stand seeing those ALCS ads on Fox btw. I'm like "ugh" every time I've seen it
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902

but for now, the "right" free agent is the one who can perform without commanding a five-year deal or costing the yankees their first round pick.

and that applies mostly to the bullpen right now. maybe they'll bring in an arm or two to go along with the young players who brian cashman is undoubtedly hoping will be able to contribute in the near future.

a lot of people in this thread seem to think the yankees need to sign another big-name outfielder. is that really gonna fix the problem?

I agree big time with all of those points. I do think, though, if they don't bring Abreu back then they will have to do something in the OF. I'm not sure they will want to count on Matsui and Damon staying healthy all year. They may even try to move Damon out over the winter. But, I don't think you have to go after the biggest most expensive free agent if an OF is needed.
    Brian
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie wrote:
    Oh I didn't see what you said :) I guess DJ Fans thinks alike :)
    I think Mo is for real though, he's real loyal to Joe. I don't think he'll come back. I don't think he's the type to make an 'empty threat'
    He should def. retire in pinstripes though, for sure
    Joe's not going anywhere.
    It was all a motivational factor. Same thing happened halfway thru the season remember? Torres job was on the line and they turned it around
    Now theyre saying hes gonna stay with maybe a paycut, and that they see no other alternative, blah blah blah. It was all bullshit to begin with. Last year at the Old Stadium next yr...joe will close that one out I think before we move into the new stadium.
    stickboy wrote:
    Joe's not going anywhere.
    It was all a motivational factor. Same thing happened halfway thru the season remember? Torres job was on the line and they turned it around
    Now theyre saying hes gonna stay with maybe a paycut, and that they see no other alternative, blah blah blah. It was all bullshit to begin with. Last year at the Old Stadium next yr...joe will close that one out I think before we move into the new stadium.

you think?
    I don't know, I know he was trying to motivate Joe to win

but the vibe feels different this year

like George was REALLY fed up and he won't want to look like a dumb ass for going back on his word, you know? I think he's done for.

I saw that in the papers today, they want him to take a pay cut! If I were Joe I'd just call it a day, they couldn't pay me enough to put up with that much drama! They're not even going to decide anything until at least next week at the earliest!

Ugh and the Sox beat Sabathia 2night, did you see? Man! I am envious they beat him! Hmph :( I can't stand that the ALCS is on and we're not in it. Bogus :(
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    they could pay me enough to put up with that drama! lol!!

I hear ya tho...I dunno, its gonna be a lot of media talk and then nothings gonna get settled for a while at least until around winter meetings.
    we'll see
    stickboy wrote:
    they could pay me enough to put up with that drama! lol!!

I hear ya tho...I dunno, its gonna be a lot of media talk and then nothings gonna get settled for a while at least until around winter meetings.
    we'll see

it's too much stress though
    I think it would get old for you pretty quick :) Joe's already made his $ and he has foundation, he doesn't need more money or stress

we'll see indeed! I say he's gone though ;)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • watching eric gagne pitch makes me glad that ian kennedy and melky cabrera were not traded for him.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    There is no way Torre is leaving. If Torre leaves everyone will jump ship and the Yankee team will be decimated.

Personally there is NO WAY he should have to leave. The guy is a genius.

p.s GAGNE SUCKS!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Danimal wrote:

p.s GAGNE SUCKS!
    said the fan of the team playing golf
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    said the fan of the team playing golf

Ummmm I'm from Boston....GAGNE STILL SUCKS!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    stickboy wrote:
    we'll see

If Joe is coming back, then I think they will announce it during the World Series. That is the George way. He tries to overshaddow and take the spotlight away (especially if Boston ends up playing in the WS this year). And truth be told, if it were to be a Colorado vs. Cleveland then it would probably be a bigger story than the WS. It shouldn't be that way, because those are 2 very good teams, but the interest just wouldn't be there on a national scale.

I think Joe has to be invited back. This is not the year for George to pull his power trip. I think he will listen to Cashman when it is all said and done. If Joe goes, this team may be torn apart.

I heard someone make a point the other day talking about a scenerio (which would never happen) that would be perfect. A-Rod announces that he will not return if Joe isn't brought back. Of course A-Rod would never show that kind of character. He and Boras are more concerned with signing some insane new contract.
    Brian
    Did everyone see in the news today that George transferred day to day operations to his sons Hal and Hank? Wow.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Allie wrote:
    Did everyone see in the news today that George transferred day to day operations to his sons Hal and Hank? Wow.
    already huh?
    It was only a matter of time.

NCBRI-true! I forget how Boss likes to steal headlines. I was thinking more like if the Mets made headlines somehow, George would come in with his top stroy. We'll see.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • watching eric gagne pitch makes me glad that ian kennedy and melky cabrera were not traded for him.

that's probably a big reason why cashman's job isn't on the line right now.

i can't blame epstein for the move though. there was no way of knowing it would turn out like this.
  • From Tom Verducci's " Five Cuts" on SI.com.

OK, you've probably heard too much already about those infamous sacrifice flies of Cleveland, the mighty midges that, unlike almost all AL hitters, knocked Yankees phenom Joba Chamberlain off his game. But this is too good not to pass on: When the bugs started swarming Chamberlain, a local insect expert in Cleveland telephoned the Indians with an urgent message -- those bugs are called midges, and whatever you do, do NOT use insect repellent; midges are attracted to the stuff. The Yankees practically bathed in bug spray; the more Chamberlain put on, the more the bugs swarmed him. So there you go. The Yankees can spend $190 million on payroll and still leave a blatant weakness: no, not their middle relief -- their lack of an entymology expert.

If you're a baseball fan, this guy is the best baseball writer in the country, and has been for a very long time. here's another cut on the midge situation, this one from last Thursday:

The Lake Erie midges provided the turning point of Cleveland's Division Series win over New York. Postseason games shouldn't be played in those conditions, but as long as this one was, the Indians showed greater resolve than the Yankees. In fact, the Indians, a source said, laughed when they watched Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez allow themselves to be blatantly distracted by the bugs. It gave Cleveland even more motivation to show they wouldn't be bothered by the infestation.
  • even more reason for me to root for the rockies to win the whole thing.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024