Options

Seniority is goin DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Comments

• Options
    What if you're like me, been a fan since day one but never joined the 10C????

So I should be overlooked because I haven't been in the 10C from the very beginning.......

That doesn't make me any less of a fan, does it?

I think not.......
    whose fault is it that you didnt join earlier? i only blame myself for having not joined eariler... granted i didnt get into them until binaural when i was only like 12... im not about to say that the system isnt fair tho... do i wish i could get better seats? YES... but there has been an established incentive for some time that the sooner you join 10C the better your seats... makes sense to me... im just gonna keep working on making friends with better numbers :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    It's not about being a bigger or better fan. It is about having joined a club for a reason. Can you walk out onto the local country club golf course for a round just because you were born in the area? Nope. You need to be a member.

You might be the biggest fan the band has (I have no way to measure that), but this isn't about that. This is about having been a member of a club which offers a section of tickets to its members. The longer you've been a member, the closer you'll sit. Just like sports. You could be a diehard Giants fan since the day you dropped out of your mom, but that doesn't mean you get row 1 on the 50 yard line just because you show up. Sorry.

That's just more of that "better-than" thinking.......

You are no "better" than me.

btw: I am a member of 10C
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options

umm... no... thats common sense... you seem to have a greater sense of entitlement than anyone else if you expect 10C to just stop a long established tradition in your own best interest... just saying... and before you accuse me of thinking im "better" than you, my numbers not that great... so yah...

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Please tell me you aren't really this dense. It isn't about being better. I said that. I also said my membership lapsed and my number is worse than it was and I'm farther back than others who kept their memberships current.

Let's try this again slowly. It isn't about being a better fan or better person. It is simply about having joined a club sooner. That's it. That's the way most things work in life. There are choices you made and choices I made that mean that we don't sit in the front row. There are choices you can make now and in the future that will ensure that you're seats continue to get better - just keep paying the dues every year.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    umm... no... thats common sense... you seem to have a greater sense of entitlement than anyone else if you expect 10C to just stop a long established tradition in your own best interest... just saying... and before you accuse me of thinking im "better" than you, my numbers not that great... so yah...

I just think a lottery system would benefit the Club as a whole, not just a select group of people who have been up front at countless shows already.........
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    I was in 1st row at Santiago?s show. It was a GA show. That was crazy! that day I missed the seats
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I just think a lottery system would benefit the Club as a whole, not just a select group of people who have been up front at countless shows already.........

I'm sure you do. That would take away incentive to remain in the club during non-tour years. Take a few years off, join the club again and have just the same chance to sit in front. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I have a pretty good # I normally sit in the 1st 20 rows. But it all depends on the city the shows in. When I went to the east coast I was in row 20. Here's the thing want to get closer. Find someone with a better number that has an extra ticket. The ten club makes us buy them in pairs. I travel to many shows solo and normally find someone on the board or someone @ the venue and go with them. Don't complain about your situation find a way to change it and meet some cool people as well. There are so many great fans on this board and at the shows if you venture out and are a lil out going.
    Yellow Ledbetter is my least favorite song. Because as soon as you hear the first note you know it is time to say goodbye.
  • Options
    I think that they should throw in random lottery system shows. I'm not talking about a lot....maybe five (If it's a big tour with two or three legs).
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    it's not because they are older than you, it's because they have actively supported the band for a longer period of time. nothing personal.

and i've never understood the whole passage of time thing, the idea that people who were here before me got to do things that i didn't get to do. oh, so sorry my parents didn't have sex earlier!

The only reason why they have supported the band longer is because they are older. I should not be penalized so harshly ( harsh,being relative), I support the band with far less complaining than the 40 year olds who have seen everything and are now jaded when their favorite song is not played. Oh No! Not another 'Corduroy' opener. Last tour was a lesson to see how older PJ fans are. Scared of positive change, scared of showing support for PJs decisions. GA shows in San Fran (look at the board in that era, and see the bitchin') were met with complaints from a lot of people. If PJ does do away with seniority it will be an indictment of the older fans who no longer give the kind of support any sane person would want. In fact, Tim Bierman said pretty much that PJ were dissapointed with the older fans reaction to their new stuff in Chicago and the previous shows.

Current fervor and current support should not be ignored. Because current fervor and current support equals growth and the oppurtunity to stay relevent.
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    I'm sure you do. That would take away incentive to remain in the club during non-tour years. Take a few years off, join the club again and have just the same chance to sit in front. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I am through with this......

So your point is I should start praying for 10C select members to start dying off so maybe I would have a chance at getting upfront......

I have a couple of choice words that I will abstain from using because I choose to not get banned.

ps: a lottery system would show no bias based on anything, which I truly believe PJ, as a band, stands for
  • Options
    I think that they should throw in random lottery system shows. I'm not talking about a lot....maybe five (If it's a big tour with two or three legs).

i've always thought the same...say, the fifth row of each show...random lottery. seniority rules first 4 rows, and after row 5, same as always. just a *chance* each show for a lucky few, how fun!

this topic comes up time and again....and it will never satisfy all. c'est la vie. the system is what it is, and the pj camp will do what they see fit/best. fine with me.

i've been VERY fortunate, i've seen pj from the front row at euro GA shows 8x.....from within the first 4 rows at wembley, bologna, irving plaza and edmonton.........and anywhere from say 20th row on the floor to the 200 level at msg with my 10c #. it is what it is. absolutely i prefer being closer, but i also don't have the time to *invest* for EVERY show to wait in line for front row, so i do enjoy just showing up and taking my predetermined spot. a live pearl jam show is awesome no matter what! i love to preparty, hang with fellow fans/friends...and then waltz on in....so there are pros/cons to all situations. whatever. keep on touring pearl jam and i will be there...whatever the 'system'......! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I am sure one happy high number!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    my opinion is that i think seniority should continue to stay, it only makes sense. if you joined earlier, you get a better seat. it not that hard to join the 10C, if you have been a big fan for 5 years and just joined, dont expect much.

ALTHOUGH, i think they should do something for the new people, throw in a few front row seats for the new members. lets say there are 50 front row seats at a venue, id say have 10 of them go to new members and 40 to the old ones.

and btw, i joined september of 07, i am quite new.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Here is a good story. I joined right after the 2000 tour. For the 03 tour I had row 22 for Kansas City and row 23 for Council Bluffs. Than for the Petty/PJ shows in Denver I had row 7 on the side stage which was sweet b/c I’m only 5’6’’ and than row 6 in the back section for night tow. I couldn’t see shit but the crowd around me was much better then the side of the stage. So every year that goes by I hope to be moving up a few rows. Now Dave Matthews tickets. I joined the fan club in 2005 the day before tickets to their Red Rocks shows went on sale. I got tickets to all the nights. They go by sonority the first night so I was in row 53. The next nights they do it random. So I got row 3 for the 2nd night, row 19 for the 3rd and row 4 for the last night. That should have pissed off a lot of people because I joined so late and got great seats. The Ten Club should do something like that but PJ doesn’t play multiple shoes at the same city. My question is if you have read this far is, how high are the numbers now days?
  • Options
    The only reason why they have supported the band longer is because they are older. I should not be penalized so harshly ( harsh,being relative), I support the band with far less complaining than the 40 year olds who have seen everything and are now jaded when their favorite song is not played. Oh No! Not another 'Corduroy' opener. Last tour was a lesson to see how older PJ fans are. Scared of positive change, scared of showing support for PJs decisions. GA shows in San Fran (look at the board in that era, and see the bitchin') were met with complaints from a lot of people. If PJ does do away with seniority it will be an indictment of the older fans who no longer give the kind of support any sane person would want. In fact, Tim Bierman said pretty much that PJ were dissapointed with the older fans reaction to their new stuff in Chicago and the previous shows.

Current fervor and current support should not be ignored. Because current fervor and current support equals growth and the oppurtunity to stay relevent.

I agree with most of what you said. It does seem that a lot of the long-time fans are quite critical and bitter these days, and get worked up at a lotof things. I'm glad you pointed out the issue of the GA San Fran shows. The bitching that came after the announcement was just unbelievable. Everyone got so worked up because for just these three shows their 10c number wouldn't matter. Now they know how all Europeans feel with every single tour. We still join the 10c to show our support but when it comes to the tour it's a case of whoever gets there first gets to the front.

Personally, i don't see the harm in getting rid of the seniority system completely. 10c should still offer the fanclub pre-sale, so members can get tickets before the general public. That's a pretty good bonus on its own, but when it comes to the day of the show i think it should just be a case of getting there early if you really want the front row. That would mix it up in no time, and the band would be seeing loads of new faces :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    whats so wrong with giving the newer members a shot at the front rows???

again....

i would love to see them do away with seniority for an entire tour....and just have some type of lottery....

just to give those newer younger fans a shot at the front.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    My question is if you have read this far is, how high are the numbers now days?
    only a guess... and i think ive seen something to support it... but i think somewhere between 425xxx and 450xxx (i joined just after riot act and have 311xxx so id say that makes sense)

• Options
    whats so wrong with giving the newer members a shot at the front rows???

again....

i would love to see them do away with seniority for an entire tour....and just have some type of lottery....

just to give those newer younger fans a shot at the front.....

I bet the crowds would be so much louder and more fun if this happened. Older fans are soooo protective of their front rows, it's strange. Yes, you've been a fan longer, but it doesn't necessarily make you a 'better' fan just because you had the chance to join earlier. There is a BIG contingent of fans who are younger and obviously weren't old enough or able to join the fan club back in the early days. I only found the band in 2002 and i think i'm one of the biggest, more insane fans out there!

These kind of things need to be considered when sorting out tickets for fanclub members. So, a lottery maybe every other tour would give the newer fans a good chance of being up front!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    what is so interesting with this discussion time and again, to me, is this:
    everyone seems to equate those with the *best* seniority with age...and those with shite #s with youth. i know for a FACT this really isn't the whole story, at all. i am close to being one of those 'forty year olds'....and my seniority is shite. i know QUITE a few awesome 10clubbers with AMAZING #s.....all under the age of 30. joined the 10c when they were 12-16 years old....ya know, the age when most join *fan clubs*.......:p just wanted to point out to STOP equating age with great 10c #s! i know PLENTY of 'older fans' such as myself...with truly crap #s, and sure, plenty that DO have awesome #s too. and age ALONE does NOT equate being boring, a sense of entitlement, etc. so stop the maddness. :p

i will ALWAYS love the lottery idea for a row, or a couple rows...and still follow seniority overall. but, whatever.........i'll be there as often as i can regardless! i think it's a great discussion, and i am sure 10c *listens* to some degree, and bottomline...they take care of their fans as best they can....and they are going to do what the band wants. it's all good. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I bet the crowds would be so much louder and more fun if this happened. Older fans are soooo protective of their front rows, it's strange. Yes, you've been a fan longer, but it doesn't necessarily make you a 'better' fan just because you had the chance to join earlier. There is a BIG contingent of fans who are younger and obviously weren't old enough or able to join the fan club back in the early days. I only found the band in 2002 and i think i'm one of the biggest, more insane fans out there!

These kind of things need to be considered when sorting out tickets for fanclub members. So, a lottery maybe every other tour would give the newer fans a good chance of being up front!

just a little story....

when i went to the bridge shows in 2003...i was using the hotels computer to try to get tickets to the santa barbara show off ebay....i meet a girl in the hotel also on another computer doing the exact same thing.....she strikes up a conversation with me and asks "WHATS YOUR 10CLUB #?????"....

so i tell her my # and her reaction was priceless....

she says to me in such a condescending elitist piece of shit fucking attitude....."oh...well im # (whatever)...and i ALWAYS sit right in front of Eddie".......and she walks away....

my girlfriend and i instantly start laughing are fucking ass off.....

and sad to say....

she isnt the only elitist fan club member i have met here......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    only a guess... and i think ive seen something to support it... but i think somewhere between 425xxx and 450xxx (i joined just after riot act and have 311xxx so id say that makes sense)

Mine is 218xxx so that sounds about right. The longer you're in the more you move up.
  • Options
    what is so interesting with this discussion time and again, to me, is this:
    everyone seems to equate those with the *best* seniority with age...and those with shite #s with youth. i know for a FACT this really isn't the whole story, at all. i am close to being one of those 'forty year olds'....and my seniority is shite. i know QUITE a few awesome 10clubbers with AMAZING #s.....all under the age of 30. joined the 10c when they were 12-16 years old....ya know, the age when most join *fan clubs*.......:p just wanted to point out to STOP equating age with great 10c #s! i know PLENTY of 'older fans' such as myself...with truly crap #s, and sure, plenty that DO have awesome #s too. and age ALONE does NOT equate being boring, a sense of entitlement, etc. so stop the maddness. :p

i will ALWAYS love the lottery idea for a row, or a couple rows...and still follow seniority overall. but, whatever.........i'll be there as often as i can regardless! i think it's a great discussion, and i am sure 10c *listens* to some degree, and bottomline...they take care of their fans as best they can....and they are going to do what the band wants. it's all good. :)

you raise a good point. They'll never please everyone. But some kind of lottery system at times, no matter how they do it, will please a lot more people.

• Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    so did I miss something? Is the 10C getting rid of seniority or is this just a hypothetical situation thread? Somebody gimmie some answers!!!
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    fugawzi wrote:
    so did I miss something? Is the 10C getting rid of seniority or is this just a hypothetical situation thread? Somebody gimmie some answers!!!

lol, the discussion has started again because the upcoming Ed solo tour has a small amount of fanclub tickets but it won't be based on seniority.

• Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    jeffbr wrote:
    It's not about being a bigger or better fan. It is about having joined a club for a reason. Can you walk out onto the local country club golf course for a round just because you were born in the area? Nope. You need to be a member.

You might be the biggest fan the band has (I have no way to measure that), but this isn't about that. This is about having been a member of a club which offers a section of tickets to its members. The longer you've been a member, the closer you'll sit. Just like sports. You could be a diehard Giants fan since the day you dropped out of your mom, but that doesn't mean you get row 1 on the 50 yard line just because you show up. Sorry.

I agree completely. Those who financially supported the band from the beginning and have stayed loyal deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

I also agree with the people against others who push their way up front. Same reasoning; if someone waits the entire day for a good spot, they deserve the spot they've waited for.
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    i can honestly say i'd gladly give up my seat if it meant a chance
    for a newer pearl jam fan to experience the band close up for the first time.

i would get far more satisfaction, gratification from
    that than i would being in the front row, i really would.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    lol, the discussion has started again because the upcoming Ed solo tour has a small amount of fanclub tickets but it won't be based on seniority.

oh ok i see. Thanks Release! I didn't think they were getting rid of seniority...they better not damnit.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    I also agree with the people against others who push their way up front. Same reasoning; if someone waits the entire day for a good spot, they deserve the spot they've waited for.

yea I'll never forget all the new faces that popped up outta nowhere close to the front of the line an hour or so before the doors opened at the Vic. Bastards!
  • Options
    i think the band wants to slowly make their music available to a more diverse audience. they probably get tired of playing to the same crowd of fanboys night after night. seniority should be taken out of the mix so new people can get a chance to see them up close.