Options

God vs Logic

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Well, I do not think of people as good vs evil ones. The guilt lies in the fact that he did steal. How we choose to deal with that as a society is up to us. Bad behavior must be addressed and discouraged. I think rehabilitation is a better long term solution. It's definitely a subject that could use some new, fresh discourse because it can be quite tricky.
    So you think it is possible to force evolution? Sounds almost Orwellian.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    So you think it is possible to force evolution? Sounds almost Orwellian.

Put it this way, I think it is currently being hindered. You can not force it but you can teach harmony as a way of life in order to survive. Harmony is life without conflict. It is a goal. Survival of the fittest requires conflict and suffering. To teach that conflict is the only way because that is how it always has been seems unacceptable to me. We have already evolved so much, why try to stop it now by means of miseducation?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    I don't see my logic as grasping. It makes perfect sense to me. But I can see how such thoughts may frighten you because they can shake your current beliefs. You can say they don't but your anger and emotion says otherwise.

Now, you've gone and made me laugh. i've been nothing but calm, and, i'm nowhere near angry. Nothing i've said could make anyone think such. Most of all, and you can quote me on this one, my current beliefs are not shaken nor stirred by any of the absolutely absurdist stuff you've managed to pull from your behind these past few pages. Actually, you've strengthened them by clarifying that these are seemingly the best arguments there are. For that i thank you. :)
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Faith is the surrender of the mind.

Choosing to give up reasoning and logic for faith. One of the greatest examples being the existance of a god. All reasoning and logic points to no existance, and actually a better chance aliens exist. Faith requires us to forget about our abilities to think and revert back to being dumb animals.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    All reasoning and logic points to no existance, and actually a better chance aliens exist. Faith requires us to forget about our abilities to think and revert back to being dumb animals.
    You are becoming the king of mindless rhetoric. Congrats.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Now, you've gone and made me laugh. i've been nothing but calm, and, i'm nowhere near angry. Nothing i've said could make anyone think such. Most of all, and you can quote me on this one, my current beliefs are not shaken nor stirred by any of the absolutely absurdist stuff you've managed to pull from your behind these past few pages. Actually, you've strengthened them by clarifying that these are seemingly the best arguments there are. For that i thank you. :)

Pulling my thoughts from my behind?? No anger or emotion there, at the very least it's unwarrented disrespect of my views. If you wish to address my points with actual counter points or reaons why you disagree then fine. But to just call ideas and thoughts absurd leaves no room for discussion. Have a nice night. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Ahnimus wrote:

Choosing to give up reasoning and logic for faith. One of the greatest examples being the existance of a god. All reasoning and logic points to no existance, and actually a better chance aliens exist. Faith requires us to forget about our abilities to think and revert back to being dumb animals.

Allrighty then. :) Look, this debate about whether or not faith is illogical, is, for me at least, over. As i hinted at earlier, i'll accept your return at thoughtless, unsubstantial, " duh,... faith, is like, dumb, and stuff" posts as admission of defeat. It's o.k. Although, i must say, at least Abook tried.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Ahnimus wrote:

I disagree. I'm certainly not religious, but am spiritual, and believing that I'm put here for a reason has made me explore my talents, ablities, etc, as opposed to reverting like a "dumb animal" who is just here with no purpose. From what I've seen, faith (with the exception of liberalism) encourages people to explore themselves.

You bring up logic vs. faith, but so many who advocate this viewpoint have faith that George W Bush is the second coming of Hitler while Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's is an interesting, self-confident man who is willing to answer questions. To me, that's a twisted sense of logic.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    Saw title, first thing that came to mind (unrelated):

Dr. Ian Malcolm: "God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates Man. Man destroys God. Man creates Dinosaurs"

Dr. Satler: "Dinosarus eat man, Women inherits the earth"
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    cornnifer wrote:
    Allrighty then. :) Look, this debate about whether or not faith is illogical, is, for me at least, over. As i hinted at earlier, i'll accept your return at thoughtless, unsubstantial, " duh,... faith, is like, dumb, and stuff" posts as admission of defeat. It's o.k. Although, i must say, at least Abook tried.

At least you tried...or not. Because you didn't counter anything other than just to call it absurd. You skipped over plenty of my points and twisted others. This kind of discourse leads to tension. I much prefer the logical and intelligent exchanges i've had with Angelica and Baraka. Go back and reread the thread to see what I'm talking about.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    cornnifer wrote:

Well, the very nature of faith is the suspension of disbelief. You must belive in things not seen or knowable, therefore setting aside that which is reasoned or known.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I think you guys totally missed the point.

Faith: firm belief in something for which there is no proof

To have faith, means to ignore the fact that there is no proof and believe it anyway. Sickening, to many people faith is more important than fact. There seems to be a lot on this forum. People's "firm belief in something for which there is no proof" is threatened by "a piece of information presented as having objective reality" such as Evolution. So they battle it, and their rationale is that what they believe in exists within a different reality, so therefore they are right. However, they can't access or monitor that alternate reality.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

To have faith, means to ignore the fact that there is no proof and believe it anyway. Sickening, to many people faith is more important than fact. There seems to be a lot on this forum. People's "firm belief in something for which there is no proof" is threatened by "a piece of information presented as having objective reality" such as Evolution. So they battle it, and their rationale is that what they believe in exists within a different reality, so therefore they are right. However, they can't access or monitor that alternate reality.
    At this point I can't help but feel sorry for you. Hope you get well soon.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

I think you totally missed the point. Again, I'm not religious at all. But do you think you are just here randomly? Or do you belivieve you are here to fulfill some purpose?
  • Options
    I think you totally missed the point. Again, I'm not religious at all. But do you think you are just here randomly? Or do you belivieve you are here to fulfill some purpose?

When I take all the empiracle evidence that is available to us and look at it subjectively and objectively I see that it's is more likely that we are a result of random events than the product of another beings creation, especially something impossibly powerful.

All religion has to support it is a book of old fairy tales. That is literally it. There is no fulfilled prophecy or ancient tablet or quirky logic that can prove gods existance. Even within the belief that a god exists, we can only believe through analytical thought that god is not perfect, all-powerful and is actually quite cruel and selfish.

We exist on a planet of many with a unique configuration that allows for the existance of life. As far as we know the universe is infinite with an infinite number of possible configurations and thus the plausability of alien life. Which has physical evidence, and some pretty good logic to support it. However, there is still nothing to prove it. Myself, I think higher of these people than those that fall into the relgion crap.

God may exist, but all signs point to no and in order to actually believe in god you need a disregard for everything except faith in a book.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

The fact that you feel this way, simply because I defined faith exactly as what it is, and you can look it up in any credible dictionary. Implies to me that your faith has made you ignorant to the other evidence and perspectives available to you.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

I think Ahnimus has expressed himself very well in this thread. He just views it differently than you do. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    When I take all the empiracle evidence that is available to us and look at it subjectively and objectively I see that it's is more likely that we are a result of random events than the product of another beings creation, especially something impossibly powerful.

All religion has to support it is a book of old fairy tales. That is literally it. There is no fulfilled prophecy or ancient tablet or quirky logic that can prove gods existance. Even within the belief that a god exists, we can only believe through analytical thought that god is not perfect, all-powerful and is actually quite cruel and selfish.

We exist on a planet of many with a unique configuration that allows for the existance of life. As far as we know the universe is infinite with an infinite number of possible configurations and thus the plausability of alien life. Which has physical evidence, and some pretty good logic to support it. However, there is still nothing to prove it. Myself, I think higher of these people than those that fall into the relgion crap.

God may exist, but all signs point to no and in order to actually believe in god you need a disregard for everything except faith in a book.

I agree with most points in your post. But you really didn't address my question. I'm not even arguing in favor or religion. I'm just asking whether or not you think we were born with a purpose? Do you think we are born with certain talents that we are supposed to examine? Do you think we should find our talents and use them to contribute to society? Again, I'm NOT religious, but I do think there is something to be gathered from living.
  • Options
    I think Ahnimus has expressed himself very well in this thread. He just views it differently than you do. :)
    That's not my bone of contention. He's free to believe in anything he wants. I think anyone who starts out to obviously antagonize needs to get better. That cuts across all creeds, races, sexes, etc... Read his/her posts, some are there to either antagonize or there is a complete lack of understanding in what is being written and ability to put your self in others shoes. I have chosen the better of the two for him/her. Lack of ability to empathize would make Ahnimus truely psychotic, I'll not believe that until proven wrong. Though the technology driving priciples thing is scary.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    That's not my bone of contention. He's free to believe in anything he wants. I think anyone who starts out to obviously antagonize needs to get better. That cuts across all creeds, races, sexes, etc... Read his/her posts, some are there to either antagonize or there is a complete lack of understanding in what is being written and ability to put your self in others shoes. I have chosen the better of the two for him/her. Lack of ability to empathize would make Ahnimus truely psychotic, I'll not believe that until proven wrong. Though the technology driving priciples thing is scary.

I thought of his approach as more of from the perspective of frustration, but I can see where you are coming from. :)

Technolgy is only knowledge put to use...it doesn't mean scary, futuristic robotics :) What we choose to do or go with our technology is up to us.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Ahnimus wrote:

Hi Ahnimus. Interesting thread you've started. I have to say that your above statement is not the case for all of us that believe in a higher power, it's certainly not the case for me. A few pages back, I posted some questions with you in mind. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've reposted it below
    baraka wrote:
    What kind of logic or reasoning are we talking about exactly? Deductive? Inductive? Obviously, deductive reasoning (a cat is a cat and everything either is or isn't a cat) is only as good as the premise on which it is founded and it is generally agreed that logio-deductive reasoning is probably the most secure form of reasoning. However, this use of logic has been questioned or challenged by some, ie, quantum logic. The rule that something can't both be and not be something is thrown out the window. I'm thinking quantum physics would not be what it is today if scientists had confined themselves to rigid deductive reasoning. What about inductive reasoning? This type of reasoning starts out on set of given facts or assumptions, a process of generalizations. It is based on previous experience, ie the prediction that the sun will rise since it has risen on queue every day so far in our experience. But one has to concede that conclusions arrived at inductively are never absolutely secure in the logical manner of deductive conclusions, even though common sense is based on induction. I believe human intellectual endeavors have not always proceeded through deductive or inductive reasoning. I think great advances in science and humanity in general rests with free ranging imaginative leaps or inspiration. This is where I come to an impasse where logic is concerned. Is inspiration a consequence of of normal reasoning which takes place deep in the subconscious or do ideas have a sort of independant existence discovered by a receptive mind? (That question is for you Ahnimus). If the former is true, then how did such an ability evolve?

It is a fact that people hold beliefs that pertain to God that might be preceived as irrational. That they are held irrationally does not mean they are wrong. Maybe there is a route to knowledge that transcends human reasoning? Maybe due to the fact we are reasoning beings, we just perceive ourselves in an oasis of apparent rationality? Maybe the world is not rational, but if it is, what is the origin of that rationality?
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    I thought of his approach as more of from the perspective of frustration, but I can see where you are coming from. :)

Technolgy is only knowledge put to use...it doesn't mean scary, futuristic robotics :) What we choose to do or go with our technology is up to us.
    And at this point I should apologize to Ahnimus. I've probably let my frustration get to me in trying to understand his/her posts.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    And at this point I should apologize to Ahnimus. I've probably let my frustration get to me in trying to understand his/her posts.

It is just plain frustrating sometimes for all of us at times. I'm trying to relax and enjoy the discussion for what I can take out it. I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind... just giving you something to think about and hoping that my views get challenged, as well. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    It is just plain frustrating sometimes for all of us at times. I'm trying to relax and enjoy the discussion for what I can take out it. I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind... just giving you something to think about and hoping that my views get challenged, as well. :)
    You do a pretty good job at questioning, maybe even poking sometimes, but you usually stop before you antagonize on purpose. That's just one reason why you are so loved.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    You do a pretty good job at questioning, maybe even poking sometimes, but you usually stop before you antagonize on purpose. That's just one reason why you are so loved.

Awwww :) That's always good to hear, sometimes it can feel quite the opposite on here! :D Thank you.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I agree with most points in your post. But you really didn't address my question. I'm not even arguing in favor or religion. I'm just asking whether or not you think we were born with a purpose? Do you think we are born with certain talents that we are supposed to examine? Do you think we should find our talents and use them to contribute to society? Again, I'm NOT religious, but I do think there is something to be gathered from living.

No I don't. Literally there is no such thing as talent.

Opera singers perform vocal exercises to develope their vocal cords. Many modern musicians do this aswell. Some have it from exessive use of their voice throughout their lives. Perhaps they screamed a lot as kids, or maybe they have always sang. There is literally no such thing as a talent. All of our skills are developed. I don't believe we have a purpose. There isn't anything implying this to me.
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    Hi Ahnimus. Interesting thread you've started. I have to say that your above statement is not the case for all of us that believe in a higher power, it's certainly not the case for me. A few pages back, I posted some questions with you in mind. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've reposted it below

That's a good way of explaining different types of reasoning. Within science some concepts are created with no evidence and just fantasy, however, in order for it to become a scientific theory there has to be something supporting it, or else it just doesn't exist outside of the scientists mind.

So what we have is a concept that a god exists and well, after a few thousand years, we still have nothing to support that belief, so therefore it'd be rediculous to keep pursuing it. If we say pigs can fly, how many times do we chuck a pig off a building before we are convinced it's simply not true?
  • Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Ahnimus wrote:
    No I don't. Literally there is no such thing as talent.

Opera singers perform vocal exercises to develope their vocal cords. Many modern musicians do this aswell. Some have it from exessive use of their voice throughout their lives. Perhaps they screamed a lot as kids, or maybe they have always sang. There is literally no such thing as a talent. All of our skills are developed. I don't believe we have a purpose. There isn't anything implying this to me.

What about natural ability, Ahnimus?

"Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability."

Cicero
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:

"Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability."

Cicero

By "natural ability" you mean talent?

Talent: the natural endowments of a person

Nope, sorry, I don't buy it.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    baraka wrote:

Cicero

“There is no such thing as great talent without great will-power.” – Honore de Balzac, 1799-1850
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way