Options

And the Violence Continues

123457»

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    acutejam wrote:
    Unfortunately your argument breaks down as you come upon those principles of western civilization -- one of them I believe to be democratically elected representatives. So no dictators allowed, sorry. But you're right though, it is a battle of values raging in the world, of ideals and principles. Some prefer to fight in uniform, some don't. Some prefer women to vote, others prefer nobody vote.

I'm really trying hard to grok the difference between democracy and republic and all I can come up with is that in the later it's not necessarily implied that EVERYONE gets to vote? I'm not for that -- supreme power rests in all citizens entitled to vote. Hmmm, that doesn't sound as good as democracy.

As for your observed hypocrisy, again, voting good, bad people bad. Bad people do good things for you so you vote for them, wonderful! Bad people want to mess with my western civilization principles, well observe said principles in action! We talk, haggle, try to work it out, then we stop talking. There is a point where you just have to stop talking....

Reason does not always appeal to unreasonable men.
    - John F. Kennedy

That's was a rough read. Sorry, I have a hard time understanding your point. I think you are trying to say that democracy is good and dictatorship is bad. However, the United States has a dictatorship, so if you live there I'd suggest moving, or altering your political stance.

A dictatorship doesn't necissarily mean the dictator is bad. If he acts on behalf of common principle. What's bad is when a leader, regardless of how they came to power, acts contrary to public opinion.

By the way, that JFK quote was probably in reference to the people we are discussing. JFK was known to be discontent with the US foreign policy leading up to his presidency.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    siochansiochan Posts: 304
    NCfan wrote:
    Any guesses what will happen when Hezbollah refuses to disarm? They are currently under a UN mandate to disarm, but it is quite obvious that they have no intentions of doing so. Armies don't disband after they win a war... duh!

So in essence, Israel will theoretically have the support of the UN if they decide to try and disarm Hezbollah themselves. Furthermore, if the UN proves that it cannot fullfill its own mandate, I doubt Israel will care either way if the UN supports them or condems them.

Plus, throw in the fact that Netanyahoo will likely take office by the end of the year - and the probablility for another war is very likely.

What do you guys think?

The fact that Israel is under a UN mandate to do several hundred things doesn't seem to matter to them so why should it matter to Hezbollah that they are supposedly meant to disarm ......
    Since when has Israel ever listened to the countless UN resolutions that have been implemented against them ?
    Regardless of who steps into power will be of little consequence to the prospect of peace ... the only decent man to step into a position of power in Israel was assasinated..... what does that tell you......

It amazes that Israel believes it is a law onto itself and dare anyone question the fascist naziesque existance......
    " You cannot throw a rope around the neck of an idea" .....Bobby Sands.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I think you are trying to say that democracy is good and dictatorship is bad. However, the United States has a dictatorship....

A dictatorship doesn't necissarily mean the dictator is bad.

So, uh... Is the United States good or bad? We have a dictatorship you say, but that's not necessarily bad, so we'll be ok then? I think we'll be ok. Unless we're not of course.

But yes the violence will continue, regardless of whether the UN can define terms or not, and probably because they can and can't. And I wonder if you can be a dictator of a group within a nation (say, oh Nasrallah) who suggests he is following the will of the people, but gee, when the people actually got to vote, he didn't get many votes. But still, he can plunge the whole nation into war.

And I think he will again, when his puppet strings are yanked again, oh, most likely right around the end of the month I'm guessing.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    So, uh... Is the United States good or bad? We have a dictatorship you say, but that's not necessarily bad, so we'll be ok then? I think we'll be ok. Unless we're not of course.

But yes the violence will continue, regardless of whether the UN can define terms or not, and probably because they can and can't. And I wonder if you can be a dictator of a group within a nation (say, oh Nasrallah) who suggests he is following the will of the people, but gee, when the people actually got to vote, he didn't get many votes. But still, he can plunge the whole nation into war.

And I think he will again, when his puppet strings are yanked again, oh, most likely right around the end of the month I'm guessing.

I try to remain calm while people such as yourself make ignornat statements and ignore the actual point.

Bush is a dictator, but he acts on behalf of his own beliefs and principles not the people's. So therefore he is a bad dictator.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I try to remain calm while people such as yourself make ignornat statements and ignore the actual point.

Bush is a dictator, but he acts on behalf of his own beliefs and principles not the people's. So therefore he is a bad dictator.

I can't believe I'm going to engage this, but I REALLY want to get a read on you people. How is Bush a dictator? Please be specific. Pretend you are answering an essay question (500 words or less).
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm going to engage this, but I REALLY want to get a read on you people. How is Bush a dictator? Please be specific. Pretend you are answering an essay question (500 words or less).

The definition of dictator is: a ruler that is unconstrained by law

Bush has stated that he is above the law and has demonstrated this several times.

That makes him a dictator.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    The definition of dictator is: a ruler that is unconstrained by law

Bush has stated that he is above the law and has demonstrated this several times.

That makes him a dictator.

So, when the Supreme Court makes a ridiculous ruling in regards to Gitmo, and the President abides by this, this is an example of being unconstrained by law?

By M-W

1 a : a person granted absolute emergency power; especially : one appointed by the senate of ancient Rome b : one holding complete autocratic control c : one ruling absolutely and often oppressively

Has Bush done anything (including NSA which I suspect your referring to) on his own without approval of Congress or Congressional committees?
  • Options
    So, when the Supreme Court makes a ridiculous ruling in regards to Gitmo, and the President abides by this, this is an example of being unconstrained by law?

By M-W

1 a : a person granted absolute emergency power; especially : one appointed by the senate of ancient Rome b : one holding complete autocratic control c : one ruling absolutely and often oppressively

Has Bush done anything (including NSA which I suspect your referring to) on his own without approval of Congress or Congressional committees?

Yes, he has done plenty. He has spent $1.62 billion on propaganda, which is a felony. For starters.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I try to remain calm...

Ah, must be the cognotive dissonance at work! Ignorant statements, ignoring folks points....

In the U.S. folks are basically innocent until proven guilty, so yeah, that's gotta be alleged felony!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Ah, must be the cognotive dissonance at work! Ignorant statements, ignoring folks points....

In the U.S. folks are basically innocent until proven guilty, so yeah, that's gotta be alleged felony!

Was that first sentence referring to Bush?

Bush has never stood trial, so until he stands trial, I'm going to say he's a dictator.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yes, he has done plenty. He has spent $1.62 billion on propaganda, which is a felony. For starters.

Can you elaborate?
  • Options
    Can you elaborate?
    Today Rep. Henry A. Waxman, Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Rep. George Miller, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, and other senior Democrats released a new Government Accountability Office report finding that the Bush Administration spent more than $1.6 billion in public relations and media contracts in a two and a half year span.

"The government is spending over a billion dollars per year on PR and advertising," said Rep. Waxman. "Careful oversight of this spending is essential given the track record of the Bush Administration, which has used taxpayer dollars to fund covert propaganda within the United States."
    http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Bush_Admin._spent_over_1.6_Billion_0213.html

Originally I had found the GOA article on it, but I can't remember what their webaddress is and seem to be entering the wrong search string in google.
  • Options
    Can you elaborate?
    Not sure how credible this source is but this is what he's referring to. http://www.choicechanges.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=510
  • Options
    Not sure how credible this source is but this is what he's referring to. http://www.choicechanges.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=510

All I got from that article is that the government spent money on military recruitment after 9/11? I fail to see how this makes Bush a dictator by spreading propoganda.
  • Options
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    What's funny is that people such as silverstain either fail to realize or choose to ignore the fact that Katyusha rockets armed with ball bearings and other shrapnel are not fired to destroy military installations or buildings - ball bearings have almost no effect whatsoever on a building - they are fired to kill civilians, as ball bearings are placed in the rockets to tear through flesh.

Two words : Cluster bombs.
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    WHAT FANATICAL MUSLIMS !!!!

Man, you really have fallen hook line and sinker!

No fanatical muslims have thousands of nuclear weapons, no muslims have aircraft carriers and guided missiles and smart bombs and cluster bombs and depleted uranium.!!

Who does? Worry about them!
    They are clearly working on it and am sure it would give you much pleasure when they are able to attain it.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006