Options

so yesterday I pull up next to a hummer

Comments

• Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    JPinks wrote:
    If it is ruining the environment I live in, then it is my business. It scares me that so many people have absolutly no concern for the world in which they live.

And it ppl like you that take away rights from ppl that smoke OUTSIDE because it's your environment too.

What is scary, is all the ppl on here that try to take away the RIGHTS of others!!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    polaris wrote:
    well ... gm is getting hummered in their own way - they'll soon realize why they are getting left behind in the marketplace ...

yes, i know.
    however, i think it is utterly ridiculous that they were EVER released as vehicles for personal use. there is just NO need, no reason, for such a vehicle to be used for an individual, driving down residential streets, etc. it is one of the most disgusting/blatant signs of disregard for the planet imho.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    yes, i know.
    however, i think it is utterly ridiculous that they were EVER released as vehicles for personal use. there is just NO need, no reason, for such a vehicle to be used for an individual, driving down residential streets, etc. it is one of the most disgusting/blatant signs of disregard for the planet imho.

yes - but there are many factors at play here ... one is an ignorant populace and manipulated marketplace ... two is the role of the oil lobby ... three is the business model by which the auto industry works ...
  • Options
    yes, i know.

Why stop with the hummer?

What about commercial jets, private jets, luxury boats, private boats etc...

Alot of ppl on the train give man WAYYY TOO MUCH credit in destroying the earth! One decade it's global cooling (see the 70's), few decades later, it's warming (see present). Everybody has to make a buck on claiming man is destroying earth.
    Don't believe the HYPE!
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    And it ppl like you that take away rights from ppl that smoke OUTSIDE because it's your environment too.

What is scary, is all the ppl on here that try to take away the RIGHTS of others!!

oh so touching... what are those rights you're talking about exactly? Right to pollute? Right to smoke a cig in a restaurant? such a sad story...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    polaris wrote:
    it is everyone's business because climate change and air pollution affects everyone - especially children and the elderly ...

you are right about one thing - we do live in a world that allows people like you to drive cars like these if you so wish ... it is unfortunate that you put your own right to ownership above everything else ... if everyone adopted that philosophy there wouldn't be much to live for ...

so ... while you see another person's hate - you fail to see your own sense of entitlement ...

am i perfect? ... hardly ... is anyone on here perfect? ... i doubt it ... but, if one accepts that there are problems in this world - then some things are easier changed than others ... the H2 is the ultimate symbol of excess beyond need ... the only defence of it's existence put forth seems to be that one should be allowed to own it because they can ... doesn't seem like that's enuf ...

so what are you doing for the enviornment? are you active in shutting down canada's oil fields? are you solar? do you conserve electricty and only have 1 tv? do you use public transportation? do you drive an alternative fuel vehicle? what is your contribution? changing your light bulbs to flourescent will save plenty; have you done that? big talk from little men does nothing for the enviornment.
  • Options
    JPinksJPinks Posts: 60

So you believe people have the right to ruin the earth? The right to give others cancer? Why?
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    Everybody take a DEEP breath of man polluted air, ride a bike and hug a tree today.
  • Options
    i think it's funny how people will get up in arms about a vehicle polluting without thinking about the pollution they produce; the energy they consume; and the way they support big oil by driving any vehicle at all.
  • Options
    i think it's funny how people will get up in arms about a vehicle polluting without thinking about the pollution they produce; the energy they consume; and the way they support big oil by driving any vehicle at all.

shhhhhhh.... don't let the cat out of the bag on these ppl!! be careful!!!!!!
  • Options
    my old ranch was in the bradshaw mtns and many neighbors needed hummers to get home. be it from sunday church or work. the vehicle is junk in my eyes but does serve a purpose. i wouldn't consider it an ego machinge. they're noisey and uncomfortable. my car is a 1940 chevy coupe. that's my toy. it's for shows; meets; and other RT 66 festivals.
    but so what? the guys hummer didn't cost you a cent. why be violent? what about the semis that bring you food and other necessities? look at the fuel they use and pollution they cause. it sounds like pure jelousy. you can't afford one so you strike out against them. i have a friend who will only drive beemers. now that's an ego machine. every big drug dealer has one. shall we torch beemers; caddys; jags; and all the other ego machines too? what about big houses? especially those with more than 1 tv and 1 dvd player. violence begets violence. i'm 100% solar and feel i am setting an example. i rarely leave the ranch so i don't put much milage on anything but my horse. if you drive 10,000 miles a month and he drives 1,000; you are causing more pollution than him. maybe your vehicle should be torched. i'm not sticking up for hummers; only peoples freedom. let him drive what he wants. it shouldn't concern you.

Nice try, but no one NEEDS a Hummer. A regular SUV would handle the treacherous Bradshaw Mountains.

Semis serve a purpose-they are transporting goods. Hummers are not needed to get people to church or work.
    96 - Toledo
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    yes - but there are many factors at play here ... one is an ignorant populace and manipulated marketplace ... two is the role of the oil lobby ... three is the business model by which the auto industry works ...

of course.
    it's all supply and demand, etc. if people wouldn't buy therm ,there'd be no market, and thus they would cease selling. however, we all know how that goes. it's like not feeding trolls here...or taking the bait of loaded thread titles simply meant to inflame, etc. :p we humans can be a very scary lot.

binaural - it's called an opinion. i am aloowed to have one, as are you, and we both are allowed to express them .i think that's pretty fair. the thread topic is hummers, so silly me for commenting on, and discussing just the topic at hand. :) btw - you cannot 'know' me, or how i think, or what i give "waaayyyy" too much credit for destroying the environment, etc. however, sure, you're right...hummers are just the tip of the iceberg.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    I bet the dad gets a free gas card at his job.
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    mikeg19_82 wrote:
    I bet the dad gets a free gas card at his job.

Now that would kick ass!!!!
  • Options

of course we 'think about it'...and isn't that the whole point? i think most of us are realistic enough to realize we ALL contribute. however, there are degrees.....and hello, there is no need to drive a vehicle like that. it's all about making responsible choices, the best choices you can....on all scales. no one is claiming to be perfect, just asking for a bit of concern/common sense. i don't think that is so ridiculous.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I drive a Jeep Cherokee because I had real issues strapping my kayaks to the roof of my convertible Mustang....

Of course, my Jeep is only a 6 cylinder so it's not quite as bad as some SUVs.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Everybody take a DEEP breath of man polluted air, ride a bike and hug a tree today.

how much coal is being burned to provide you with electricty? or nuclear waste we don't have a place to dispose? what happens when the nuke plants are outdated and need to be replaced? how do you dispose of the hazardous waste in your electrical appliances? you produce the same pollution as the next guy.
  • Options
    how much coal is being burned to provide you with electricty? or nuclear waste we don't have a place to dispose? what happens when the nuke plants are outdated and need to be replaced? how do you dispose of the hazardous waste in your electrical appliances? you produce the same pollution as the next guy.

and what's your point? do nothing then to improve? it's degrees, choices, that start change. that's all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

to be honest, since i'm a pretty busy fellow, i don't give it alot of thought and don't live in a bottle of gloom and doom. stay away from those gore movies <wink>

we'll work it out. always have, always will.

Don't believe the HYPE!
  • Options
    so what are you doing for the enviornment? are you active in shutting down canada's oil fields? are you solar? do you conserve electricty and only have 1 tv? do you use public transportation? do you drive an alternative fuel vehicle? what is your contribution? changing your light bulbs to flourescent will save plenty; have you done that? big talk from little men does nothing for the enviornment.

what does it matter what i do? ... are our words only reasonable if we are held to the highest of scrutiny?? ... the funny thing is i've done all your above except drive an alternative fuel vehicle but i only put 5,000 kms on my car all of last year - that is better than driving alternative fuel ... edit: also - i've contributed money to offset my carbon emissions from my car and my travels ...

either way - this defensive response does nothing ... we are all hypocrites and if you read my earlier post you will see that i don't claim to be perfect ... but to have the attitude of i will pollute because i can is not something to be proud of ... if you want to defend that attitude - by all means ... go ahead ...

but this response to change is tiring and counterproductive to what should be humanities goals ...
  • Options
    of course we 'think about it'...and isn't that the whole point? i think most of us are realistic enough to realize we ALL contribute. however, there are degrees.....and hello, there is no need to drive a vehicle like that. it's all about making responsible choices, the best choices you can....on all scales. no one is claiming to be perfect, just asking for a bit of concern/common sense. i don't think that is so ridiculous.

you THINK about it. very pro-active there. if everyone would reduce the pollution they cause; we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    my old ranch was in the bradshaw mtns and many neighbors needed hummers to get home. be it from sunday church or work. the vehicle is junk in my eyes but does serve a purpose. i wouldn't consider it an ego machinge. they're noisey and uncomfortable. my car is a 1940 chevy coupe. that's my toy. it's for shows; meets; and other RT 66 festivals.
    but so what? the guys hummer didn't cost you a cent. why be violent? what about the semis that bring you food and other necessities? look at the fuel they use and pollution they cause. it sounds like pure jelousy. you can't afford one so you strike out against them. i have a friend who will only drive beemers. now that's an ego machine. every big drug dealer has one. shall we torch beemers; caddys; jags; and all the other ego machines too? what about big houses? especially those with more than 1 tv and 1 dvd player. violence begets violence. i'm 100% solar and feel i am setting an example. i rarely leave the ranch so i don't put much milage on anything but my horse. if you drive 10,000 miles a month and he drives 1,000; you are causing more pollution than him. maybe your vehicle should be torched. i'm not sticking up for hummers; only peoples freedom. let him drive what he wants. it shouldn't concern you.
    You're not getting this, are you?

No one NEEDS a Hummer. There are other more efficient vehicles that can navigate the Bradshaw mountains, I assume ... or was this area only settled after Hummers arrived on the scene?

Semis transport goods that cannot be transported in Honda Civics. You use your truck to earn your living, as do many others, and not many people have a problem with that.

You're right, BMWs are ego machines too, but they do a lot less damage to the environment so they bother us less. Plus they don't do anywhere near as much as Hummers do to uglify our surroundings. Those are some seriously ugly vehicles, and they're so big you can't help but notice them.

Trust me, it's not jealousy. If I wanted a Hummer, I could have one. I'd be embarrassed to be seen in one of those things.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    you THINK about it. very pro-active there. if everyone would reduce the pollution they cause; we wouldn't be having this conversation.

this place is hilarious. now the 2 above ppl that agree on this are arguing. WTF??
  • Options

no shit. that was kinda the whole point, no? driving a hummer doesn't do much to reduce pollution. i have no need/desire to explain what i do personally to try and reduce my impact on the environment. you simply stated earlier the idea that we don't think/realize we all contribute..thus why i said of course we think about it. and yes, i think many do try to do something about it. part of that would be trying to make responsible choices for vehicle ownership, etc.....using vehicles less, using whatever gas purchases you make efficeintly, etc......thus why i said it's all degrees......

hippiemom wrote:

No one NEEDS a Hummer. There are other more efficient vehicles that can navigate the Bradshaw mountains, I assume ... or was this area only settled after Hummers arrived on the scene?

Semis transport goods that cannot be transported in Honda Civics. You use your truck to earn your living, as do many others, and not many people have a problem with that.

You're right, BMWs are ego machines too, but they do a lot less damage to the environment so they bother us less. Plus they don't do anywhere near as much as Hummers do to uglify our surroundings. Those are some seriously ugly vehicles, and they're so big you can't help but notice them.

Trust me, it's not jealousy. If I wanted a Hummer, I could have one. I'd be embarrassed to be seen in one of those things.

exactly.
    and let's not forget, what a danger they can be on the road. so big you can't see around them, and i don't even want to imagine the damage such a large vehicle would do in an accident, especially if the other vehicle is a small little hybrid, someone trying to be semi-responsible with their personal vehicle choice.

sheesh.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    hippiemom wrote:

No one NEEDS a Hummer. .

And nobody NEEDS a computer, way too much energy consumption! Nobody NEEDS a TV. Nobody NEEDS to drive or fly across the country/world to see pearl jam.

hmmmmmmm..........
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    what does it matter what i do? ... are our words only reasonable if we are held to the highest of scrutiny?? ... the funny thing is i've done all your above except drive an alternative fuel vehicle but i only put 5,000 kms on my car all of last year - that is better than driving alternative fuel ... edit: also - i've contributed money to offset my carbon emissions from my car and my travels ...

either way - this defensive response does nothing ... we are all hypocrites and if you read my earlier post you will see that i don't claim to be perfect ... but to have the attitude of i will pollute because i can is not something to be proud of ... if you want to defend that attitude - by all means ... go ahead ...

but this response to change is tiring and counterproductive to what should be humanities goals ...

that's the point. i've done all one man can do to reduce pollution. 100% solar; i grow my own organic food; limit my driving; don't watch much tv; and try to show people how to cut the pollution they produce. i also teach conservation. and i do it by example; not ranting. talk is cheap.
  • Options
    And nobody NEEDS a computer, way too much energy consumption! Nobody NEEDS a TV. Nobody NEEDS to drive or fly across the country/world to see pearl jam.

hmmmmmmm..........

you're still not getting it?
    it's DEGREES of choice, making responsible choices, etc. yes, we ALL consume energy, and it's a convenience, not always a need....but you try and make responsible choices amongst them. choosing a hummer as a vehicle when there are far many other, more responsible choices to make, well...some of us disagree with it. obviously, you want a hummer, you can go out right now and buy one...but it is also certainly within anyone's rights to be disgusted by it too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

hmmmmmmm..........

Computers save lives and TV is an efficient way to communicate.
    96 - Toledo
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    limit my driving; don't watch much tv; .

How much limiting do you do? How much is not much? See, one whose view on this that may be more extreme may criticize you for even doing that, but that is your right.

in addition, not pointing at you, ppl that get on here and just cringe at the gas we waste and the pollution we create amaze me, for the majority have wasted TONS of gas and polluted the earth vastly by flying on huge jets to see pearl jam, or drive in vehicles to far away places in order for self enjoyment.

Cmon ppl!!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    that's the point. i've done all one man can do to reduce pollution. 100% solar; i grow my own organic food; limit my driving; don't watch much tv; and try to show people how to cut the pollution they produce. i also teach conservation. and i do it by example; not ranting. talk is cheap.

so - we should all keep our mouths shut while these monstrocities of a vehicles get driven around? ... we are fighting ignorance here - and you don't beat ignorance by keeping your mouth shut ... and really - what is the difference between you "showing people how to cut pollution" and us commenting on hummers??