• Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    JPinks wrote:
    Computers save lives.

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    mwachsman wrote:
    I'm sure the dad told his son that he works hard for his money and he can do as he so choses with it. Why do I buy a car that gets low gas mileage? Becuase I can. Then he probably lectured his kid on how bad it is to be a hippie.

I love this post! :D
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    at a gas station out in asheville. this family clearly on a road trip is filling up. All I can think is I am *dying* to ask this guy why is driving one of those things (and he's got kids to boot, you'd think he'd be wanting to leave some oil and some clean air around for them) anyway, it turns out I didn't have to say anything because his kid (prolly about 9) did! the kid goes, "dad, isn't this car bad for the environment?"

ha! I unfortunately couldn't hear the dad's response, but I thought it was awesome.

I LOVED ASHVILLE WHEN I WENT DOWN FOR THE vfc SHOW IN 2004... REALLY NICE AREA OF THE COUNTRY
  • Options
    JPinksJPinks Posts: 60
    How much limiting do you do? How much is not much? See, one whose view on this that may be more extreme may criticize you for even doing that, but that is your right.

in addition, not pointing at you, ppl that get on here and just cringe at the gas we waste and the pollution we create amaze me, for the majority have wasted TONS of gas and polluted the earth vastly by flying on huge jets to see pearl jam, or drive in vehicles to far away places in order for self enjoyment.

Cmon ppl!!

:rolleyes:

It sounds like you're saying if you aren't do everything possible to reduce pollution, then you shouldn't do anything at all. Why not help a little by driving a more efficient car? Every little bit helps.
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    see, it's ppl like you that HATE! again, it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DRIVE and OWN!!!!

your line of anyone driving a hummer is trying to get the same effect of penis enlarging is pathetic.

Again, ppl that bitch and moan when they see ppl ownin property they dislike is like a bunch of whining little kids.

And you speak of "EGO"??? fuck, i own a 2002 cavalier. HUGE EGO THERE!!!!! I pimp that fucker like mad!

I read right thru your anger and hatred for ppl that want to do what they want with THEIR MONEY!

If they are dumb as shit to pay that much for the vehicle and all that gas, fuckem, I laugh. I don't throw a tantrum and question why they own what they own.

Get over yourself.

i assume then, that you have no problem with people being able to buy heroin at the drug store? after all, it's their money and they should be able to do what they want with it. do you support prohibition and the war on drugs? do you fight for people's right to abortion? do you think marriage should be legal for any two consenting adults who feel they want to share their lives together? becos after all, it's their money and their lives and they ought to be able to do what they want with it right?

or is your protection of human freedom and choice only in vogue when it's an issue you agree with?

rampant pollution is a public health problem, and hummers are a very visible and decadent sign of it. by demonizing an utterly worthless and vain lifestyle choice, it helps to raise awareness of other, deeper issues... namely a sickening and gluttonous narcissism at the heart of the american dream. and yes, when i see it, im going to call them out on it.
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    And nobody NEEDS a computer, way too much energy consumption! Nobody NEEDS a TV. Nobody NEEDS to drive or fly across the country/world to see pearl jam.

hmmmmmmm..........

exactly. but with all the energy i save in other areas; i can drive a hummer and still produce less pollution then the average person. my point is that your judging the other person without knowing all the facts. i've seen hummers converted to dual fuel. that vehicle produces less pollution than your vehicle. this being said; what is the point of this rant?
  • Options
    JPinks wrote:
    It sounds like you're saying if you aren't do everything possible to reduce pollution, then you shouldn't do anything at all. Why not help a little by driving a more efficient care? Every little bit helps.

I'm not sayin that at all. I just think it's amusing that ppl bitch about things others do, but when they do the same thing, they justify by saying they didn't do it as extreme as the other. THAT is the hilarious part!!

All you gas wasters and polluters that have travelled the country/world to see pearl jam, you should be limited to 1 show in a 50 mile radius of your hometown!
    NO MORE POLLUTING EARTH for your self pleasure dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO MORE DRIVING UP GAS PRICES for self pleasure dammit!!!

:)
  • Options
    i assume then, that you have no problem with people being able to buy heroin at the drug store? .

If i remember my U.S. law, I THINK it is illegal to get heroin at a drugstore. I don't think it's illegal to own a hummer.

OMG!! FUCKING PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soulsing, ur fucking kilin me over here!
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    polaris wrote:
    so - we should all keep our mouths shut while these monstrocities of a vehicles get driven around? ... we are fighting ignorance here - and you don't beat ignorance by keeping your mouth shut ... and really - what is the difference between you "showing people how to cut pollution" and us commenting on hummers??

because if the government told you which vehicle you could drive you'd be up in arms. this may not be a bad idea. look at the pollution a person produces and limit their vehicle choices. and also tell them how many tvs they can own; and only let them buy locally produced food. and limit the number of miles they can drive based on the pollution output of their vehicles. and also limit the amount of electricty they use. the list can go on and on.
  • Options
    because if the government told you which vehicle you could drive you'd be up in arms. this may not be a bad idea. look at the pollution a person produces and limit their vehicle choices. and also tell them how many tvs they can own; and only let them buy locally produced food. and limit the number of miles they can drive based on the pollution output of their vehicles. and also limit the amount of electricty they use. the list can go on and on.

please don't forget that the majority here think communism is a wonderful thing! hahah

I would be more than happy to offer up my employess that left the soviet union the time to talk with these people. HAHAHA
  • Options
    JPinksJPinks Posts: 60

I like it.
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • Options
    see, it's ppl like you that HATE! again, it is NOT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I DRIVE and OWN!!!!

your line of anyone driving a hummer is trying to get the same effect of penis enlarging is pathetic.

Again, ppl that bitch and moan when they see ppl ownin property they dislike is like a bunch of whining little kids.

And you speak of "EGO"??? fuck, i own a 2002 cavalier. HUGE EGO THERE!!!!! I pimp that fucker like mad!

I read right thru your anger and hatred for ppl that want to do what they want with THEIR MONEY!

If they are dumb as shit to pay that much for the vehicle and all that gas, fuckem, I laugh. I don't throw a tantrum and question why they own what they own.

Get over yourself.

Dude, it is *my* business- it's everyone's freaking business because it affects us too! It's called an *externality* hon.
  • Options
    JPinks wrote:
    I like it.

i'm sure there is an environmentally friendly flight you could take to
    venezuela.

Just ask a few around here, chavez is a pimp!
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    hippiemom wrote:
    You're not getting this, are you?

No one NEEDS a Hummer. There are other more efficient vehicles that can navigate the Bradshaw mountains, I assume ... or was this area only settled after Hummers arrived on the scene?

Yeah I know. The Hummer is a hilarious car. People buy it because they think it's a "good utility car", it's really just a self gratifying "bling mobile" especially the H2.

H1's are fine. but it has to have a winch on the front, mud on the tires etc... rough end ready. That's it's intended purpose.

Seeing a H2 all shiny and scratchless on the highway cruising along is laughable.

The H3 is only 220 HP so they toned the "glut" factor, however, they are pigs to drive at whopping 4700 lbs cubside weight.

Big cars in general in the city are a PITA and as commuter cars. A small turbo charged road rocket gets around like a breeze in the city, and elsewhere. All with a sweet "seat of the pants" pulling grin factor. Depends what you spend the bulk of your time moving.....people or stuff.
  • Options
    Yeah I know. The Hummer is a hilarious car. People buy it because they think it's a "good utility car", it's really just a self gratifying "bling mobile" especially the H2.

H1's are fine. but it has to have a winch in the front, mud on the tires etc... rough end ready. That's it's intended purpose.

Seeing a H2 all shiny and scratchless on the highway cruising along is laughable.

The H3 is only 220 HP so they toned the "glut" factor, however, they are pigs to drive at whopping 4700 lbs cubside weight.

Big cars in general in the city are a PITA and as commuter cars. A small turbo charged road rocket gets around like a breeze in the city, and elsewhere. Depends what you spend the bulk of your time moving.....people or stuff.

Whhoaaaaa! Slow down! H1's are fine? Says who? :)
  • Options
    Why stop with the hummer?

What about commercial jets, private jets, luxury boats, private boats etc...

Alot of ppl on the train give man WAYYY TOO MUCH credit in destroying the earth! One decade it's global cooling (see the 70's), few decades later, it's warming (see present). Everybody has to make a buck on claiming man is destroying earth.
    Don't believe the HYPE!

It's not about "hype." It's truth. First of global cooling and global warming are the same thing, just in different parts of the world. The better term is "climate change" and yes, some of it is natural climate fluctuations. However, there is a *direct* linkage between climate change and CO2 in the atmosphere, and if you look at graphs of both c02 concentration and temperature increase overtime from hundreds of years ago to present, the steepest slopes on both graphs start exactly at the industrial revolution and climb at increasing rates through 2006. I look at these graphs all day, it's my job. And I look at graphs of energy use as well...oil doesn't grow on trees...
  • Options
    I don't think it's illegal to own a hummer.

it should be.
  • Options
    how much coal is being burned to provide you with electricty? or nuclear waste we don't have a place to dispose? what happens when the nuke plants are outdated and need to be replaced? how do you dispose of the hazardous waste in your electrical appliances? you produce the same pollution as the next guy.

obviously. you make reductions in these areas as well. why do any of this excess???
  • Options
    How much limiting do you do? How much is not much? See, one whose view on this that may be more extreme may criticize you for even doing that, but that is your right.

in addition, not pointing at you, ppl that get on here and just cringe at the gas we waste and the pollution we create amaze me, for the majority have wasted TONS of gas and polluted the earth vastly by flying on huge jets to see pearl jam, or drive in vehicles to far away places in order for self enjoyment.

Cmon ppl!!

:rolleyes:

you cut back where you can dude. I ride my bike or walk whenever it is humanly possible. this summer where I'm commuting to, it isn't, so I carpool. You try to limit shower time, do bigger loads of laundry, not use paper plates...It's all about being CONCIOUS of the effects of your actions. People who drive hummers aren't.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527

i don't really see how that addresses my post but sure - i got no problems with gov't regulations on this ... we should pay the true cost of gas as well as electricity ...
  • Options
    mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    JPinks wrote:
    Computers save lives and TV is an efficient way to communicate.

Man do you remember that episode of "Most Extreme Police Videos" where the Compaq Presario dove into that raging river to save a mother and child who fell in?
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    It's not about "hype." It's truth. First of global cooling and global warming are the same thing, just in different parts of the world. The better term is "climate change" and yes, some of it is natural climate fluctuations. However, there is a *direct* linkage between climate change and CO2 in the atmosphere, and if you look at graphs of both c02 concentration and temperature increase overtime from hundreds of years ago to present, the steepest slopes on both graphs start exactly at the industrial revolution and climb at increasing rates through 2006. I look at these graphs all day, it's my job. And I look at graphs of energy use as well...oil doesn't grow on trees...

How were they measuring cO2 concentration "hundreds of years ago"?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    know1 wrote:

ice cores
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

actually, they've got stuff like this from thousands of years ago, temp estimates too. I think they use core samples and stuff like that. I'm on the social science side so I just get the end result of the natural science side. I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but they've got it.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    ice cores

Is that how they also measure it today?

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    If i remember my U.S. law, I THINK it is illegal to get heroin at a drugstore. I don't think it's illegal to own a hummer.

OMG!! FUCKING PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soulsing, ur fucking kilin me over here!

but while we're on the topic of personal freedom, SHOULD heroin be illegal? if you support our government regulating american spending habits through measures like banning recreational drugs, what is so outlandish about some of us talking about regulating american spending habits by placing restrictions on recreational vehicles that are dangerous to the general public, not just the individual user?
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    ice cores

yeah, bingo.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Is that how they also measure it today?

I'm not sure if they *can* do it that way, but I don't think that's how it's done in practice.
  • Options
    actually, they've got stuff like this from thousands of years ago, temp estimates too. I think they use core samples and stuff like that. I'm on the social science side so I just get the end result of the natural science side. I'm not exactly sure how they do it, but they've got it.

You just can't go back, look at some stuff you think is related, compare it to today's data taken taken with today's technology and think it is a "apples to apples" comparison.

I'm all for everyone doing what they can to help the environment because I love being outdoors. I actually pick up other people's trash and throw it away for them almost everytime I kayaking.

It's just simply not credible to say that man has any real, scientifically and statistically relevant data about this stuff that goes back long enough to know man's impact.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    You just can't go back, look at some stuff you think is related, compare it to today's data taken taken with today's technology and think it is a "apples to apples" comparison.

I'm all for everyone doing what they can to help the environment because I love being outdoors. I actually pick up other people's trash and throw it away for them almost everytime I kayaking.

It's just simply not credible to say that man has any real, scientifically and statistically relevant data about this stuff that goes back long enough to know man's impact.

It's comparable. These guys wouldn't be doing it if it weren't comparable data. science is rarely perfect, but even if you look at several different sources and estimates, the trends are there. Obviously it is always incredibly difficult to prove causation, but the CORRELATION is most certainly there.